HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Ellis has exceeded the Canadiens' expectations

Old
05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to make the difference between his skating and his agility. This is what Ellis needs to work on. First steps and overall agility. Once he gets going, his skating is fine. Not incredibly fast, but fine. Thing is, as a d-man, who will NOT be a Subban and carry the puck that often, you need agility. Not pure skating. Yet, I have seen some improvement from Ellis till the start of the year. He will get there. He wants to get there.
He has a great work ethic, and the luxury of time. He'll play a couple of AHL seasons, giving him enough time to improve that aspect and adjust to the pro game. He's definately a steal of a pick. If he ends up as good as Gorges is now, even better. A shutdown dman that can net about 20pts and stay a + player. Woo-Hoo!

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
rockjngo

Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Ellis

that's a good group for the future. I'm not sure how many years Markov has left, and I'm skeptical of Diaz and Weber.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Ellis

that's a good group for the future. I'm not sure how many years Markov has left, and I'm skeptical of Diaz and Weber.
Darren Dietz in Saskatoon is pretty good too. And they got Bennett and Didier, two kids in the US College system.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Darren Dietz in Saskatoon is pretty good too. And they got Bennett and Didier, two kids in the US College system.
And people want us to draft a D

Right now the only prospects that are sure shots to get at least a cup of tea in the NHL:
Gallagher
Kristo
Leblanc.

Prospects with potential:
Avtsin
Quailer
MacMillan
Bournival
Pribyl
Holland.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
And Pateryn too! Who we'll see in Hamilton next season.

I still want us to draft a D if that's the BPA

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think most people want us to get a D but they do want to see us draft the BPA. If Timmins and Co think the BPA at #3 (or wherever we end up in event of a trade) is a D-man then so be it. I trust his judgment.

Edmonton clearly need help on D - does that mean they shouldn't take Yakupov who is considered the best player in the draft by most/many scouts?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Ellis was huge yesterday with several blocked shots, a flawless game, aside from that one pass with 5 minutes or so remaining.
To be fair, the score was 5-2, so he didnt make that mistake when the game was on the edge, its easier to forget, especially considering he was always on the ice.. How minutes did he play? 30? Sick!! I recall Ellis being deked by Namesnikov too but it was a really good play.. Overall solid like a rock.. I think Ellis is probaly our most NHL ready prospect, 1 year and half in the AHL and he should be fine..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I don't think most people want us to get a D but they do want to see us draft the BPA. If Timmins and Co think the BPA at #3 (or wherever we end up in event of a trade) is a D-man then so be it. I trust his judgment.

Edmonton clearly need help on D - does that mean they shouldn't take Yakupov who is considered the best player in the draft by most/many scouts?
Thing is, there is no Seth Jones, no Doughty, no Pietrangelo in this year draft and the gap between the first ten picks looks very thin, so I would be very very surprised to see Timmins go for a defenseman, I think its wrote in the sky we are gonna pick a foward..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Beendair Donedat

I'd take Dalton Thrower in the second round. He's another good right handed defenseman, which you can't have enough of IMO.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
Well, to tell the truth, my opinion is only basd on a few games i watched on tv, during the world juniors this winter, the chl playoffs and these couple games so far at the memorial cup. So that being said, it's just my 2 cents.
But if I had to choose between Ellis, Beaulieu and Tinordi, ....Ellis would be the one wich , in my opinion would adapt the fastest to the NHL. His no non sense style of play can be incorporated within any system. He can handle pressure and accept to take a hit without " panicking", has a great vision, always makes a great first pass,can skate the puck out of the zone.......everytime i see him play I ask myslef " what he would look like whit players of his caliber...guys who could handle his pass?""....
Everything i read this season about Tinordi said how much he improved his skating, his balance, his decision making with the puck.....but every game I've seen him, I still dont see it, all I see is a really big clumsy guy who panics when under pressure, has poor balance....he's on his butt as soon as someone checks him, and throws away the puck......he improved his game.....when he's not under any forechecking pressure, but when he is, it's not impressive......he is a long way from becoming a nhler
As far as Beaulieu, not a fan.....but the potential is there definetaly.....great for him that his junior career is over, this way, he will be exposed to a greater caliber a players, and maybe learn that he is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.......the day he learns that ,he might become a great defenceman in the nhl.
So right now,.......at this point, my memorial scouting report card says that
1) Ellis.....love the guy....would not be scared to call him up for a game
2) Beaulieu....great potential, 1 or 2 years in the ahl to see if he can learn
3) Tinordi.....ahl, gotta teach the kid the abc's of playng D
4) Bournival....great kid, but dont think he'll ever make it in the nhl
lol.who writes this stuff ?

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:34 PM
theboss*

Imagine if we draft seth jones next year

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Jones
Gorges-Ellis/Emelin

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:45 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Imagine if we draft seth jones next year

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Jones
Gorges-Ellis/Emelin
If the habs are in the position to draft that guy, it would mean that they had another TERRIBLE season...

No one wants to see that, starting with Geoff Molson.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post

Timmins said that every team might have a diffrent top-ten players. So, it means they are pretty much ALL EQUAL... And we BADLY need OFFENSE.

So a forward is a must !

Old
05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Man it's exciting hearing stuff like this about a guy drafted in the 4th round 2 years ago.

Really excited to see Hamilton's line up next year, will definitely goto all the games I can.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Right now the only prospects that are sure shots to get at least a cup of tea in the NHL:
Gallagher
Kristo
Leblanc.

Prospects with potential:
Avtsin
Quailer
MacMillan
Bournival
Pribyl
Holland.
To be honest, if you're just talking about potential, Olivier Archambeault is right there, probably above everyone on this list not named Steve Quailer, even though I must admit I really dislike how he (Archambeault) plays.

I'd be extremely surprised to see Archambault end up being a regular, but he's the typical possible 4th rounder homerun.

And, honestly, the draft if about the best player available, since the drafted players won't play before a few years (... most of them).

That question is pretty much irrelevant for the 1st round -- the BPA will likely be a forward if we draft 3rd (if we'd be drafting 5th, then the BPA would probably be a D, but it's kinda moot). This said, if Dalton Thrower is still on the board for our 2nd pick, then he'll probably be the BPA.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Thing is, there is no Seth Jones, no Doughty, no Pietrangelo in this year draft and the gap between the first ten picks looks very thin, so I would be very very surprised to see Timmins go for a defenseman, I think its wrote in the sky we are gonna pick a foward..
Jacob Trouba?

Old
05-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...gn-with-Habs/1

Seems like he's doing very well. Also looks NHL ready on the physical and hockey smarts aspect of the game.

edit : lol archambault is a bust dude, weird pick just like David Fisher.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
In my opinion, Timmins has Yakupov and Forsberg as No 1 and 2, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they are followed by any of Murray, Dumba and Trouba as the next 1-2-3 picks. You have to remember that Timmins and his staff have scouted much more thoroughly those guys than we have, they've talked to Galchenyuk's doctors, they've interviewed the prospects... If Timmins think Murray or Trouba are a must pick at no3, then they know much better than we do.

Hell, maybe he'll pick a guy that was slighted to go lower. Last time we had such a high pick, he surprised us all and went a bit off the charts. I have complete faith that we will get a really good player. Timmins hasn't been wrong many times.

Old
05-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Jacob Trouba?
I feel that he's the guy we're going to pick, depending on Forsberg's availability.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
In my opinion, Timmins has Yakupov and Forsberg as No 1 and 2, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they are followed by any of Murray, Dumba and Trouba as the next 1-2-3 picks. You have to remember that Timmins and his staff have scouted much more thoroughly those guys than we have, they've talked to Galchenyuk's doctors, they've interviewed the prospects... If Timmins think Murray or Trouba are a must pick at no3, then they know much better than we do.

Hell, maybe he'll pick a guy that was slighted to go lower. Last time we had such a high pick, he surprised us all and went a bit off the charts. I have complete faith that we will get a really good player. Timmins hasn't been wrong many times.
1- Who's the GM in Sarnia ? Nathan Beaulieu's father... I guess they can talk easily to find out more about Galchenyuk's health

2- Thre will be a NHL Combine soon... Everyone will be able to judge Galchenyuk physical condition

3- Was it Hall or RNH who did not attend the Combine recently and was selected 1st overall ANYWAY ?

Old
05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
1- Who's the GM in Sarnia ? Nathan Beaulieu's father... I guess they can talk easily to find out more about Galchenyuk's health

2- Thre will be a NHL Combine soon... Everyone will be able to judge Galchenyuk physical condition

3- Was it Hall or RNH who did not attend the Combine recently and was selected 1st overall ANYWAY ?
I guess my post came across the wrong way. I'm not saying they won't pick Galchenyuk because of his physical condition. Maybe he's #1 on Timmins' list. All I'm saying is that if he's not our pick, then I trust Timmins' judgement on the matter, as everyone here should.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:13 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...gn-with-Habs/1

Seems like he's doing very well. Also looks NHL ready on the physical and hockey smarts aspect of the game.

edit : lol archambault is a bust dude, weird pick just like David Fisher.
Wel, Archambault was picked in the 4th round and is quite the skilled player.

I don't like his game at all, but not recognizing his skills probably hides ulterior motives.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:15 PM
MXD

Quote:
I feel that he's the guy we're going to pick, depending on Forsberg's availability.
Well, he's probably be my 3rd pick in the draft and probably the 4th best player in the draft (and the 1st D I'd pick).

This said, if we're to pick Trouba, I hope Bergy will trade down a few spots.

Old
05-21-2012, 05:29 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Ellis is the better-playing d-Men Habs prospect at the Mem Cup now, which is interesting considering the fact our last two first rounders are also at the Mem Cup.

Ellis is actually quite reminescent of Beauchemin, but could actually end up being a little superior due to his better hockey IQ.
Sounds like he is another Dan Giradi. Block shots, good positioning, hard nosed

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

I'd say that if Timmins is set on a dark horsehe thinks would probably be drafted lower than #3, then he should suggest that Bergevin trade down and acquire an additional pick from the trading partner.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote