HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Does anybody else find this kind of ironic?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
  #26
Paxton Fettel
Registered User
 
Paxton Fettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
See that is where you are wrong, we really wouldn't lol. There has never been any celebration in Canada from a World Championship victory. Olympics, heck yeah celebrations are huge, but not WHC. Anyways jealousy kills guys, keep bashing Canada. See you in 2014.
that's exactly what I meant : it's not up to Canada to decide what's important.

at the moment there is one country dictating the others what tournament counts and which one doesn't ... except the others really don't care anymore.

there's a world championship every year, if you don't care, it's alright, just stop saying you're the best while most of you don't even care to play.

Paxton Fettel is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 04:59 PM
  #27
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,926
vCash: 500
I'm sure Canada would be much more interested if the tournament didn't occur at the same time as the Playoffs and all the best Canadians suited up.

wej20 is online now  
Old
05-20-2012, 05:15 PM
  #28
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedico View Post
Americans have the most players in NHL, obviously. So they don't get their all players available for the team. They should move the start of the tournament by some time so NHL ends.
You mean North Americans.

2525 is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 07:00 PM
  #29
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
I guess it depends on how you look at the IIHF's top hockey nations ranking, but the fact that most people in Canada (understandably) don't care about the WHC (and pretty much any IIHF women's tournament), yet the same people are heavily invested in tournaments such as the Olympics and World Cup.

As most people know, a teams performance in the Olympics and World Cup have no bearing on the "official" international ranking list as they are not IIHF tournaments. But shouldn't the ranking list be reason enough why fans should take more time to focus on tournaments like the WHC and IIHF women's tournaments?
There are so many "wrong" in this post.

Canuck21t is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
  #30
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
The Canada Cups should not count. Because team Canada always had a home ice advantage and played on a smailler ice rink. Plus, the referees were mostly the Don Koharski's who helped the hosts.

Yamaguchi is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
  #31
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
It's not a problem, you beat our olympic team and we feel we've truly been beaten, you beat our whc team and we simply just see the highlights on sportscentre.

That doesn't mean to say we don't care at all about the WHC, we just don't care nearly as much as we do for the Stanley Cup Playoffs that are going on at the same time, we still want to hear Canada did well.
Canada came very close to losing to Slovakia, and then the US in the Olympics. I'm sure if we lost we'd have a plethora of excuses as to why it didn't matter / we don't care too.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
  #32
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'm sure Canada would be much more interested if the tournament didn't occur at the same time as the Playoffs and all the best Canadians suited up.
Yeah, and now tell us why the tournament is happening at the same time as the playoffs, here's a hint, it's not because the IIHF wants to hurt the Canadians...

The World Championship exists almost as long as the NHL does, it has been pushed further into the year multiple times. It's not the IIHF's fault that the NHL season went from ending in late March / early April to ending in late May / early June.

The NHL obviously doesn't have much of a reason to change anything about that, it's a business and the most important thing for the league is its own health, but you really can't blame the timing of the World Championship on the IIHF when it's the NHL that took the time away again and again.

Sanderson is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 11:52 AM
  #33
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
that's exactly what I meant : it's not up to Canada to decide what's important.

at the moment there is one country dictating the others what tournament counts and which one doesn't ... except the others really don't care anymore.

there's a world championship every year, if you don't care, it's alright, just stop saying you're the best while most of you don't even care to play.
He's lying. If Canada was in a gold medal game it'd be all over TSN with hype. This is a country that goes ******* for the WJC's, remember.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
  #34
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
He's lying. If Canada was in a gold medal game it'd be all over TSN with hype. This is a country that goes ******* for the WJC's, remember.
Well we do traditionally care more about the World Juniors than the WHC's. The World Juniors is a glimpse into the future stars of the NHL. The World Hockey Championships are simply a tournament players who don't make the playoffs go off to Europe to play.

While I understand the importance of it to European Nations, over in North America it is second fiddle or third fiddle hockey. The NHL playoffs are a bigger deal, and to some people, myself included the Memorial Cup is more important.

It simply comes down to the fact that a large portion of North American fans feel more connected to their club teams than any other. I for one would much prefer the Oilers to win a cup than team Canada win the Gold.

Valic is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
  #35
Sens91
Registered User
 
Sens91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Yeah, and now tell us why the tournament is happening at the same time as the playoffs, here's a hint, it's not because the IIHF wants to hurt the Canadians...

The World Championship exists almost as long as the NHL does, it has been pushed further into the year multiple times. It's not the IIHF's fault that the NHL season went from ending in late March / early April to ending in late May / early June.

The NHL obviously doesn't have much of a reason to change anything about that, it's a business and the most important thing for the league is its own health, but you really can't blame the timing of the World Championship on the IIHF when it's the NHL that took the time away again and again.
Huh? No one is blaming the IIHF. We are simply stating that very few people pay attention to the WHC, when the Stanley Cup Playoffs (much more exciting IMO) are going on at the same time.

Sens91 is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
  #36
Sens91
Registered User
 
Sens91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
The Canada Cups should not count. Because team Canada always had a home ice advantage and played on a smailler ice rink. Plus, the referees were mostly the Don Koharski's who helped the hosts.
You Europeans really underestimate the speed of some of our players lol...

Sens91 is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:08 PM
  #37
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
This is like how the 1974 Summit Series doesn't count, even though Canada had Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Mark Howe, Paul Henderson, Frank Mahovlich, and John McKenzie

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
  #38
Sens91
Registered User
 
Sens91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
This is like how the 1974 Summit Series doesn't count, even though Canada had Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Mark Howe, Paul Henderson, Frank Mahovlich, and John McKenzie
Gordie Howe was 46.... enough said.

Sens91 is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:17 PM
  #39
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
If you follow soccer you know exactly how much stock to put into any sort of official "rankings".

The United States went into the last World Cup (soccer) ranked something absolutely ridiculous, like 8th in the world.

Pilky01 is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
  #40
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Well we do traditionally care more about the World Juniors than the WHC's. The World Juniors is a glimpse into the future stars of the NHL. The World Hockey Championships are simply a tournament players who don't make the playoffs go off to Europe to play.
What a bunch of nonsense.

Lets look at Canada's top scorers for 2012. Red means they didnt make the playoffs, Yellow means they were available after the first round.




PLUS SIDNEY CROSBY

(and a few more guys if you count those who were eliminated in the 2nd round; which isn't far fetched as Ovechkin and Semin both went straight to help their team once Washington was out)

Canada likes to justify the losses as its just a tournament with only scraps available, but in reality

The bottom line is that Canada just doesn't have pride or patriotism or something to care enough about winning.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
  #41
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
would be easier to care in the US if we could watch games live without having to wake up at 7:30 am and find an internet stream.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:22 PM
  #42
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
Gordie Howe was 46.... enough said.
This is Mr Hockey we're talking about. His numbers were down but still at high level when he left the Wings. In the WHA, he was a dominant force.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
  #43
Sens91
Registered User
 
Sens91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
What a bunch of nonsense.

Lets look at Canada's top scorers for 2012. Red means they didnt make the playoffs, Yellow means they were available after the first round.




PLUS SIDNEY CROSBY

(and a few more guys if you count those who were eliminated in the 2nd round; which isn't far fetched as Ovechkin and Semin both went straight to help their team once Washington was out)

Canada likes to justify the losses as its just a tournament with only scraps available, but in reality

The bottom line is that Canada just doesn't have pride or patriotism or something to care enough about winning.
As a Canadian there's two things you want to win as a player. First thing and foremost is the Stanley Cup, Second is the Olympics. Don't feed me this lack of pride or patriotism nonsense. You clearly are not that intelligent questioning another country's pride, something no one should ever do.

If you want to play that game we can bring up Russia's 7-3 defeat in the Olympics, "lots" of pride shown there...

Sens91 is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
  #44
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
As a Canadian there's two things you want to win as a player. First thing and foremost is the Stanley Cup, Second is the Olympics. Don't feed me this lack of pride or patriotism nonsense. You clearly are not that intelligent questioning another country's pride, something no one should ever do.
Yet when someone is a member of the "Triple Gold Club" it's the most important thing in the world to Canadians


and I can question Canada's pride all I want. I'm Canadian, after all.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
  #45
Booom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
He's lying. If Canada was in a gold medal game it'd be all over TSN with hype. This is a country that goes ******* for the WJC's, remember.
You have no clue what you're talking about, obviously people are going to pay more attention to a tournament that occurs over Christmas when no one is working vs one that happens in the middle of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The world juniors would be nowhere near as popular if they were played during the playoffs.

Booom is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:31 PM
  #46
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,796
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
We have already shut threads down because all they become is an open forum to bash one another. I'm not letting this one turn into it either. Locked.

ColePens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.