HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 7th Overall

View Poll Results: who do you want the Wild to draft 7th overall?
Jacob Trouba 35 36.46%
Morgan Rielly 36 37.50%
Teuvo Teräväinen 13 13.54%
Griffin Reinhart 6 6.25%
Radek Faksa 0 0%
Olli Määttä 5 5.21%
Cody Ceci 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
There isn't much after five.

You don't know that for sure. The Wild's draft list isn't going to be like FC, ISS, Redline, etc.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Do we want two granlunds? Hell we don't even know if baby G will be all that at this level.

Well yes! Skill is skill son, and skating can improve. You can teach high end hockey sense.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:36 AM
LemaireisGOD

I really would like a forward but the real decent ones will all be gone by the time we pick unless something really unforseen happens. If Galchenyuk is available and we pass this organization will have made a major mistake.

I am leery of Reilly because of the knee issue. Look at Tyler Cuma and Ondrej Fiala; multiple knee injuries and while they may be different there is something to be said for the luck this team has; or in this case doesn't have.

Reilly certainly would be that smallish defender with loads of skill; ala a Kris Letang, Erik Karlsson type, but the knee thing bothers me a lot.

I voted for Griffin Reinhart. He won't be a big point producer, but he's a big body who by everything I've read is getting better and better. I could definitely see this team drafting Olli Maata or Reilly though. Either way, I think we're going to draft a defenseman either because it is an area where we really only have one bluechip candidate and because they are likely the best player available when we make our pick.

Still, I'd like to see us draft speed and scoring with our 2nd round pick. I'd like to see us select Bozon or Winther at that spot if it all possible because our prospect pool is still devoid of pure finishers. We have some power forwards, some good set up guys, but no real pure snipers.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
I've heard some really good things about Bozon. Kid's got some skill.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:51 AM
LemaireisGOD

As have I...

And he has a good hockey pedigree too. I think the Wild have missed out on signing some good finishers when we didn't snag Matt Read and Tyler Johnson after attending our prospect camp. Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't waste contracts on guys like Kris Fredheim; and I think we have some flotsam in our pool that should be washed out.

Bozon fits that role of finisher, and Winther isn't too bad either.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I think is is BS to say that all the quality forwards/D will be gone by #7. Not pulling it up, but I am damn near sure that all star players have been picked up after #7 in every draft since my birth year. There's going to be an all star drafted after #6. Just hope Fletch and co. draft him.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:39 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I think is is BS to say that all the quality forwards/D will be gone by #7.
It isn't that the quality forwards or defense will be gone by 7th but it's really hard to distinguish the quality.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

D.

Take a forward at 2nd round.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In terms of rankings, most people have the top four forwards going quickly, and then there are a half dozen defensemen all clustered together.

The Wild could have the "worst" of the top forwards fall to them or pick the "best" of the defensemen.

If they have literally zero preference among the defensemen, they could move back a few spots, but I guess they have 1-2 guys targeted and try to nail the pick.

It will be fun to see who rises and falls. I wonder if Grigo falls. Something tells me Dumba could be picked early. Murray might fall, might go #2. Should be interesting.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It will be fun to see who rises and falls. I wonder if Grigo falls. Something tells me Dumba could be picked early. Murray might fall, might go #2. Should be interesting.
I could see Murray falling. Edmonton's not going to pass up Yakupov. I don't see Columbus drafting a defenseman with a #2 pick; they'll be looking for a star forward that puts butts in seats. Montreal's a toss-up if Murray's still on the board, but I think they'll be looking for a center.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I don't think Murray makes it past Garth Snow's funky bunch.

I also think CBJ "surprises" everyone and takes Galchenyuk #2.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post

I also think CBJ "surprises" everyone and takes Galchenyuk #2.
After their decision last week it might be better if they take a Coach.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:15 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorious secret View Post
after their decision last week it might be better if they take a whole new front office.
fify

Old
05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Well yes! Skill is skill son, and skating can improve. You can teach high end hockey sense.
And being too small and slow to utilize that tool set is till being too small to utilize that tool set

Not going to lie don't like teuovo at all specially given some of the d options we might be looking at.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Smallz

Trouba hasn't gained any ground on Reilly in a few days so we are going to move on

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Alright, gotta pimp my second favorite team. I found this pretty interesting - Hurricanes Board mock draft for the #8 pick.

Carolina's organizational needs differ so much from ours. Trouba only has one vote compared to our 30-something votes. Looks like they really like Teräväinen. Their team as an affinity for Finns (like us), but they don't shy away from skilled, undersized forwards like Jeff Skinner. They're also looking for some center depth ala Radek Faksa.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:45 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Alright, gotta pimp my second favorite team. I found this pretty interesting - Hurricanes Board mock draft for the #8 pick.

Carolina's organizational needs differ so much from ours. Trouba only has one vote compared to our 30-something votes. Looks like they really like Teräväinen. Their team as an affinity for Finns (like us), but they don't shy away from skilled, undersized forwards like Jeff Skinner. They're also looking for some center depth ala Radek Faksa.
They could be a very intriguing team to trade down with.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i would be more open to taking a forward if we bolstered our D through trade at the draft (and of course via a FA Suter) but we neeeeed defense. **** that stupid "you never draft need" ********...what happens when the best player available every year is a goalie? That's what i thought.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i would be more open to taking a forward if we bolstered our D through trade at the draft (and of course via a FA Suter) but we neeeeed defense. **** that stupid "you never draft need" ********...what happens when the best player available every year is a goalie? That's what i thought.
If you draft for "need", it must be for the long term, not the short term. It's quite rare that a short term need could be filled through the draft. And the short term needs for an organization can change from year to year due to trades, injuries and free agency.

..and if you look at the Wild defensive prospect pool, it is quite thin outside of Brodin in terms of top end talent...much more thin than our pool of forward and goalie prospects.

Last edited by MuckOG: 05-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.
MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Goalies can be found all over the draft, they really never are the BPA.

It's more difficult to find a 30-40 goal scorer in the 3-7th round or a 1st pairing defenseman...

Old
05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
If you draft for "need", it must be for the long term, not the short term. It's quite rare that a short term need could be filled through the draft. And the short term needs for an organization can change from year to year due to trades, injuries and free agency.

..and if you look at the Wild defensive prospect pool, it is quite thin outside of Brodin in terms of top end talent...much more thin than our pool of forward and goalie prospects.
Agreed - you want to have depth at all positions, and D is quite thin. If Brodin makes the Wild next fall, we will again have little in the pipeline at d, although Scandella/Brodin is a nice core to build around.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
They could be a very intriguing team to trade down with.
Neither team really has incentive to trade up/down one pick if their targeted player is still on the board.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Its kind of a defense heavy draft relative to skilled forwards- there's no question MN looks at skill in the 1st round, and Teravainen fits the mold to a tee.

There are a few guys who project to be rock solid 2's, maybe weak 1's in this Draft, so with skilled forwards at a premium I'd rather snatch one of those up.
I understand what you're saying, but "skilled forwards [are] at a premium" doesn't make a compelling argument to me about drafting one. High-end goalies (in terms of draft position at least) are a rarity in this draft as well, but no one would argue for that to be reason to draft Subban. Our organization's defensive pool has Brodin, a giant empty space, then Seeler and Cuma. Even if there was only a single quality forward in the draft, we might still be better off picking a defenseman. We could pick defensemen with every one of our picks and I wouldn't necessarily say we picked enough of them this year.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Neither team really has incentive to trade up/down one pick if their targeted player is still on the board.
If the Wild view two players as roughly equivalent, and Carolina is worried we might pick "their guy" or worse, trade down to Winnipeg's spot, they would possibly be inclined to move up. Think about the Vikings at their draft. They could trade down because of the threat of someone else moving up.

I don't think it's really likely, but I wouldn't rule out a trade with Carolina.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote