HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Modano for the Hart

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 04:59 PM
8snake

vCash: 500
You already know I feel Zetterberg is a better player than Modano Ott, I'm not saying anything new. This isnt about Modano's career vs. Zetterberg's, it's about who's a better player RIGHT NOW. You think by saying Modano is the second or third center in the West I'm dissing him as a player, but I have great respect for him and his place in NHL history. The fact of the matter is, you look at Detroit vs. Dallas head to head, and Zetterberg has outplayed Modano to go along with the fact his numbers are better, he's on the PK, PP and has a comparable +/-. You cant give me a single legitimate reason why Modano is a better player than Zetterberg aside from his defensive role, which, as has been pointed out by several Wings fans not all that different from Zetterberg's.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:44 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
Dallas may finish on top of it all and Mike has had a huge role in that ascent.

After he tied up the last game, sending it into overtime, I thought, why not him for the Hart? His defensive stats and performance are impressive, and he's been a clutch performer offensively, helping out when matters most.

What do you think? (darkhorse candidate... the one no one's talking about)
I think he ought to be one of the top five.
But I also think Lidstrom is the MVP, and he probably won't get a vote.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:45 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
You already know I feel Zetterberg is a better player than Modano Ott, I'm not saying anything new. This isnt about Modano's career vs. Zetterberg's, it's about who's a better player RIGHT NOW. You think by saying Modano is the second or third center in the West I'm dissing him as a player, but I have great respect for him and his place in NHL history. The fact of the matter is, you look at Detroit vs. Dallas head to head, and Zetterberg has outplayed Modano to go along with the fact his numbers are better, he's on the PK, PP and has a comparable +/-. You cant give me a single legitimate reason why Modano is a better player than Zetterberg aside from his defensive role, which, as has been pointed out by several Wings fans not all that different from Zetterberg's.
Z has been great this year. But he's not even the MVP of his team.
Modano is clearly the leader and most valuable player on his team.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:55 PM
8snake

The award is given to the MVP of the league, not the players respective team. Plus there is a case to be made for Zubov, Turco, Jere....I dont see the difference. If Modano is in your top 5, and Zetterberg has had a better statistical season, has better road numbers, and been as strong defensively, shouldnt he rank even higher on your list? As a Detroit fan I'm sure you could speak to the understated excellence Zetterberg has brought every night this season.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
Dallas may finish on top of it all and Mike has had a huge role in that ascent.

After he tied up the last game, sending it into overtime, I thought, why not him for the Hart? His defensive stats and performance are impressive, and he's been a clutch performer offensively, helping out when matters most.

What do you think? (darkhorse candidate... the one no one's talking about)

I just threw up in my mouth, and not only because he is one of my least favorite players in the entire league, but also because Madonna does NOT deserve to get the Hart.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
No Zubov is the most valuable player on the team. Modano is just the captain for some unknown reason.

Old
03-24-2006, 06:29 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
I think the Zetterberg comparison with Modano is perfect as I believe Zubov to be the overall MVP of the stars which would follow that he is the MVP on defense for the stars. Lidstrom is the MVP for the Wings which also follows that hes MVP on defense for the Wings. However, Modano and Zetterberg are the most valuable forwards to their team, followed closely or debated only by Lehtinen and Datsyuk, who are all surrounded by a fairly deep offense (Morrow, Arnott, Shanahan, Lang, etc.)

Old
03-24-2006, 06:45 PM
nik jr

modano has 0 chance of winning. there are many players who should be ahead of him. imo, zubov is dallas' mvp.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Talentless Practise*

You could sum it all by saying that Modano is a truly deserving Hart finalist in a year with multiple truly deserving Hart finalists. (Jagr, Thornton, Kipper, Lidström, Zubov, Lundqvist, AO to name a few)

Old
03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
The award is given to the MVP of the league, not the players respective team.
"The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team." www.nhl.com

Old
03-24-2006, 10:23 PM
8snake

You honestly believe that?

Old
03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
But Dallas's shoutout record has nothing to do with Modano. So when evaluating Modano for the Hart trophy, the SO pts Dallas gets should not be a factor.
Modano isnt going to win the Hart anyways(Jagr deserves it) so I guess its a moot point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
And sure they count in the standings, but I'd take a team with 95 pts and a 5-5 SO record over a team with 95 pts and a 10-0 SO record for the playoffs.
I'll take the team that is perfect with the game on the line over the team thats average with the game on the line any day of the week.

-Vagrant
Old
03-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Shareefruck

Am I the only one here who thinks Modano hasn't even been MVP of his own team? Zubov has been better, and Turco arguably just as important.

Although I'll admit Modano's been playing like an MVP recently..

Old
03-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
You honestly believe that?
No. I know the voters look for the forward with the most points and vote for him.

Old
03-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I would call Zubov the better player but Modano the MVP of the team. Modano brings the intangibles and sparks the team like no one else on Dallas does. But because of lot of what Modano brings is intangibles, I don't think he'll get the Hart. He's certainly Dallas' MVP. And I wouldn't be shocked to see him and Lehtinen along with someone else as the Selke candidates, though they may split the vote (and I think Lehtinen will win, and deservedly so).

Though I think even being mentioned in the discussion should emphasize the more important point. After the 03/04 debacle, most wrote off Modano as done, that his career was over. But he's made his way back to one of the top centermen in the league this year and gets very little credit.

And Zetterberg is a wonderfully gifted, talented forward, but he's no Modano. Not yet. Different skill sets. He will probably get there in a few years, but he hasn't shown me all the intangible stuff Modano has.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:51 PM
beepeearr
@beepeearr

Send a message via Yahoo to beepeearr Send a message via Skype™ to beepeearr
Some of that success in the shoot outs can be attributed to Modano, At least two game winners, and a few to keep them alive. With out Modano, the Stars would not be where they are now, he makes the entire team better, especially Zubov, Lehtinen, and Arnott.

Old
03-26-2006, 07:40 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

I agree with most posters.

Modano will be his team's representative for the Hart, and will finish seventh or eighth in voting.

He'd get my vote, if he kept it up and if Jagr blew a gasket tomorrow.

Old
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Phil333

I know I am biased, but any discussion of MVP not starting and ending with Jagr is useless. Modano is having a great year no doubt about it.

Old
03-26-2006, 10:38 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Modano isnt going to win the Hart anyways(Jagr deserves it) so I guess its a moot point.

I'll take the team that is perfect with the game on the line over the team thats average with the game on the line any day of the week.

Not me. I'd much rather have the team that can actually win games the right way instead of having to rely on a silly shootout. Those silly shootouts are not part of the playoffs, so those wins are completely worthless.

Old
03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
Not me. I'd much rather have the team that can actually win games the right way instead of having to rely on a silly shootout. Those silly shootouts are not part of the playoffs, so those wins are completely worthless.
And I'd rather have the team on a hot streak going into the playoffs. Who cares how you win games in November. That doesn't matter when the playoffs start.

Closed Thread