HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Sulzer re-signed (1 year, $750k)

Old
05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
CaptPantalones

vCash: 500
good to see. he was surprisingly very good down the stretch

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Jame
Dream '16

wow super cheap... just wish we could've got a 2 year deal

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Excellent move. Very, very happy.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
My work mtg cancelled this AM, so I furtively log in to check hockey, and read of Sulzer signing. Awesome news. Played great with fellow German. Excellent contract.

I agree Weber is movable, and may be moved, but #24, #3, and Sulzer will all be UFA after this coming season. Will be interesting to see how well McNabb progresses to handle the minutes. Maybe Darcy moves Weber just to give McNab more NHL ice time this coming season so Darcy can determine what moves he needs to make to replace or resign one of those 3 UFAs in the 2013 offseason.
With Myers and Ehrhoff signed to extended deals, Sekera will still be under contract. It's possible they envision McNabb breaking through to top 6 minutes by the end of this season and then probably Pysyk coming the year after. It's still a young, mobile unit and leaves an opening for a more rugged guy.

Or they just start dealing guys.

05-21-2012, 12:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Good move. Also surprised at the price, Sulzer definitely played better than that down the stretch for us. Keeps our depth.

Also hopefully Sulzer and his family are doing well. Did it ever come out what the reason for him leaving was?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Good move. Also surprised at the price, Sulzer definitely played better than that down the stretch for us. Keeps our depth.

Also hopefully Sulzer and his family are doing well. Did it ever come out what the reason for him leaving was?
I believe it had to do with his wife being pregnant and had some complications with the labor. Not exactly sure how things turned out, but I hope everything went well.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Yeah, pretty much. Glad he'll be with us next season at least.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Sekera-Myers
Leopold-Regehr
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
x Weber/Brennan

The only question is who the #7 will be... Weber or Brennan

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
You think the Sabres management is extremely tentative with long term deals with unproven players now after the fiasco with Leino? This might be some evidence to back up that hypothesis.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
You think the Sabres management is extremely tentative with long term deals with unproven players now after the fiasco with Leino? This might be some evidence to back up that hypothesis.
More likely looking to economize at the 6/7 and a one year deal mitigates some risk. If he can mantain his level of play, great. If he reverts to Vancouver form, they're not stuck with another contract after next season.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
This is a Good Thing

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:31 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Great deal!A real cheap deal and Sulzer is the perfect #5/6... hopefully we can also find a way to get McNabb in the top 6 also, our defense might become a strength next season.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Getting Sulzer back at a low cap hit and seeing if he can continue his chemistry with Ehrhoff is a nice move.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
McTank

Hes got a chance to prove himself this season, hopefully he works hard this summer.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Wow we've got a bajillion NHL ready defensemen.

Buh bye Weber & Leopold.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

thats a great player at a great price. Sulzer is a steady, reliable bottom pairing d-man who has proven himself capable of top 4 playing time if needed.

I'm very pleased that the German clique is still strong.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Wow we've got a bajillion NHL ready defensemen.

Buh bye Weber & Leopold.
You never know, it could be Sekera. If we are looking to use our defensive depth to help get a center/improve the offense. I can't imagine Weber is going much of an enticement to get what we want. I'm not so sure Leopold will even be in play. He has has flaws to be sure. But 3mil for a dman that can fill in on your top pairs and play big minutes is not a bad guy to keep around. Of course the flip side is thats why he may be the piece needed to complete a deal.

Last edited by joshjull: 05-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You never know, it could be Sekera. If we are looking to use our defensive depth to help get a center/improve the offense. I can't imagine Weber is going much of an inticement to get what we want. I'm not so sure Leopold will even be in play. He has has flaw
s to be sure. But 3mil for a dman that can fill in on your top pairs and play big minutes is not a bad guy to keep around. Of course the flip side is thats why he may be the piece needed to complete a deal.

if it's stafford and sekera for staal i will punch somebody or something with 80% power.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Been taking some time off from the Boards lately but wanted to add my voice of approval on this move. Sulzer was a very positive addition esp. when paired with Erhroff.

I call them the Siegfred Line.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:31 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You never know, it could be Sekera. If we are looking to use our defensive depth to help get a center/improve the offense. I can't imagine Weber is going much of an inticement to get what we want. I'm not so sure Leopold will even be in play. He has has flaws to be sure. But 3mil for a dman that can fill in on your top pairs and play big minutes is not a bad guy to keep around. Of course the flip side is thats why he may be the piece needed to complete a deal.
Sekera certainly has more value than either of those two, but unless you have the utmost confidence in Myers to develop back into your best shutdown defenseman or you're trading for Jordan Staal or another significant upgrade at center, there isn't a reason to move Sekera.

Between picks, prospects and current forwards, Buffalo has the pieces to upgrade the forwards without costing themselves the one actual bargain on the blueline.

Leopold is at best the fourth best defensive defensemen on the roster, and should never really get prime offensive opportunities because of Myers and Ehrhoff. He's a good injury fill-in if one of those guys goes down because he pinches in accordance to Ruff's game plan, but he can't get that out of his system when he needs to focus on his own zone. As a result, he makes a healthy blueline worse than a similarly costed defensive defenseman.

If the Sabres move Rej in a blockbuster, whatever, but if Darcy is putting Sekera and Leopold in the same tier, he should be canned on the spot.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
GoooooooooooooD

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Good move! Now vote for Ennis!

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Sekera certainly has more value than either of those two, but unless you have the utmost confidence in Myers to develop back into your best shutdown defenseman or you're trading for Jordan Staal or another significant upgrade at center, there isn't a reason to move Sekera.

Between picks, prospects and current forwards, Buffalo has the pieces to upgrade the forwards without costing themselves the one actual bargain on the blueline.

Leopold is at best the fourth best defensive defensemen on the roster, and should never really get prime offensive opportunities because of Myers and Ehrhoff. He's a good injury fill-in if one of those guys goes down because he pinches in accordance to Ruff's game plan, but he can't get that out of his system when he needs to focus on his own zone. As a result, he makes a healthy blueline worse than a similarly costed defensive defenseman.

If the Sabres move Rej in a blockbuster, whatever, but if Darcy is putting Sekera and Leopold in the same tier, he should be canned on the spot.

That was my thinking. That if we go big in a trade to address center, Sekera may be part of of the deal. Not that he is more likely to head out the door than Weber/Leopold or that he is viewed on the same level as Leopold.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:25 PM
McTank

Regiers press conference was interesting, sounded like they might be looking to make another ufa splash

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Regiers press conference was interesting, sounded like they might be looking to make another ufa splash
Anything else of note? I didn't hear it, but I saw people on Twitter jumping on Regier for saying they expect Roy back "at this point." That seems like pretty standard operating procedure to say that...even if you are going to shop the guy. I didn't take much from it, but we all know how Twitter can be...

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote