HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

FINAL: Where does Nash end up?

Old
05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The Leafs, in other words. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Nash+Brassard+2nd round pick for Kadri, Schenn +1st
Holy moly, that's one of the worst proposals I've seen in some time!

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
How can you be so sure that this will be the last Rick Nash Thread?
See earlier comment.

DangleDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Boston

Runner Ups
SJS, Vancouver

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

What makes you think this will be the final thread?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Boston

Runner Ups
SJS, Vancouver
I don't see Vancovuer as having the assets, or the cap space to bring in Nash.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I think he goes to Boston or New York if they don't win the Cup. I don't believe he will go to San Jose what-so-ever so I don't even bother considering them. That could also be though, because the idea of trading Nash for Pavelski to me is idiotic, there is no doubt in my mind that Pavelski can't provide near the same production Nash has with what he has had to work with. Pavelski is a nice complement, but he's not a guy I'm going to look to build with at the cost of our best player.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
with Boston signing a goalie from Sweden today, i think they do something ala Krajci, Thomas, and a 1st...
I wouldn't mind that too much, but because Thomas is approaching 40 and their 1st is very late, I would expect Howson to try and get them to sweeten the deal with an upper tier prospect, not necessarily blue chip, but a quality prospect. It'd be the most logical thing to do IMO.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Marleau puts up equivalent numbers to Nash, and is better defensively, and signed for less (and will re-sign guaranteed). Plus we add Pavelski who also puts up equivalent numbers, is better defensively, and signed for half what Nash is, and a 1st?

That is totally unrealistic. I might trade that package for Malkin, but not Nash.
You do realize Marleau is nearly five years older than Nash right? There is value in age alone.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Because I'm sure Luongo would put Columbus on his list of teams he'd accept a trade to
Yet I'd say that has a better chance of happening than Nash expanding his list to include the Canucks.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Scurr

Nash is going to end up a Canuck imo. He's the bigger and younger we are looking for and we have the assets to get it done.

Columbus doesn't need to re-build, a re-tool would work there. They need a goalie and some players that have had success elsewhere that will be excited about playing there.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Yet I'd say that has a better chance of happening than Nash expanding his list to include the Canucks.
Why wouldn't he want to go to the Canucks?

Old
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDman View Post
You do realize Marleau is nearly five years older than Nash right? There is value in age alone.
A 5 year age difference isn't worth Pavelski, let alone adding a 1st.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Why wouldn't he want to go to the Canucks?
Why wouldn't VAN have just been on his "list of five" then?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:22 PM
DangleDman

Here is the centerpiece that the CBJ should ask for in a trade to potential partners:

NY- Kreider
Boston- Hamilton
San Jose- Couture
Ottawa- Zibanejad
Calgary- Baertschi

Old
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The Leafs, in other words. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Nash+Brassard+2nd round pick for Kadri, Schenn +1st
I just spat my drink.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Not in Montreal or Colorado.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Why wouldn't VAN have just been on his "list of five" then?
He gave a list of 5 teams he wanted to go to, not 25 teams he didn't want to go to. I'm sure he chose teams where he thought he would be a fit and knew some players there. IMO, if Vancouver really wanted him and made the best offer, they could talk him into coming here. It's a nice place to live and the team is pretty good, why not?

Old
05-21-2012, 02:29 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Here is the centerpiece that the CBJ should ask for in a trade to potential partners:

NY- Kreider
Boston- Hamilton
San Jose- Couture
Ottawa- Zibanejad
Calgary- Baertschi
I believe Couture is off limits, as is Kreider after his playoff performance... With that said, that's who Howson needs in return. I would love and Ottawa or Calgary scenario listed above.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

I really hope the cap space Chia (if he's traded) saves from Thomas isn't used on Nash.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He gave a list of 5 teams he wanted to go to, not 25 teams he didn't want to go to. I'm sure he chose teams where he thought he would be a fit and knew some players there. IMO, if Vancouver really wanted him and made the best offer, they could talk him into coming here. It's a nice place to live and the team is pretty good, why not?
Pretty sure a case could be made for Luongo to relocate to central Ohio too.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:35 PM
DangleDman

Baertschi would speed up RJO's development wouldn't you think?

Old
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville82 View Post
Rangers
Quote:

NY- Kreider
Boston- Hamilton
San Jose- Couture
Ottawa- Zibanejad
Calgary- Baertschi
That's a possible team.

Yeaaaaah, no way in hell the Bruins deal Hamilton for Nash.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
That's a possible team.

Yeaaaaah, no way in hell the Bruins deal Hamilton for Nash.
Not sure if I follow the first part.... These are the players that any gm would start with.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

My thoughts from yesterday...

Quote:
Looking at Boston, I have no idea how they could possibly frame this into a deal that makes sense for both sides. I maintain that their prospect pool is too weak to work with; they have Hamilton....they have Hamilton. It depends on how you feel about Spooner, Knight, and Khokhlachev. So basically, there would have to be actual roster players coming back.

Their pending free agent are Brian Rolston, Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille, Joe Corvo, Greg Zanon, Marty Turco, and Mike Mottau (all UFA) and Benoit Pouliot (RFA). But with the contract extensions that are starting next year, they're looking at $5 million for 5 roster players, and that doesn't take injury callups into account.

Assume that Turco and Rolston are either retiring or not coming back. Mottau is a spare part. That leaves Corvo, Zanon, Kelly, Campbell, and Paille. I'd imagine that they'll try to re-sign Kelly and Paille, with the others all up in the air. If Marc Savard retires, that would clear another $4 million in cap space, which may be put toward re-signing those two (although Kelly himself may get that much in the open market).

Basically, there's a very small number of players who Boston could move that would have value. They'd be looking at gutting their forward corps, with Bergeron and Horton having NTCs. Which leaves....Lucic? Krejci? Seguin? Peverley? Shawn Thornton? Draft picks...Boston picks 24th in the first round.

Basically, the only pieces I can see in play are Lucic, Krejci, Seguin, Peverley, the first-rounder (24th), and Tim Thomas (whose NTC expires July 1). Is it possible for a deal to be reached in principle, that involves Boston's first-rounder being taken and then traded after July 1 as part of this deal? It's possible, but that's getting into the territory of seriously reaching.
Quote:
I'd throw Thomas in there too, if a deal is to be made with Boston. But I don't think his value is too terribly high, to be honest. Moving him would clear a huge amount of cap space, and the question of whether or not he's actually declining or simply had an off year is something that would have to be determined.

The other variable is that he has a $5 million cap hit, but only $3 million due in salary. Would he choose to simply retire rather than be traded? If so, what would the recourse be?

Let's say this....Nash to Boston for Krejci, Peverley, Thomas, and the 2012 1st-rounder (24th overall). If Thomas does not play a certain number of games in the 2012-13 season (which would cover retirement or injury, which is obviously a concern with a 38-year-old goalie), Boston adds their 2013 first-rounder in.

Boston adds Nash's $7.8 million cap hit. They shed Krejci's $5.25 million (his three-year extension begins July 1), Peverley's $3.25 million hit (same), Thomas' $5 million hit (one year remaining). Net savings to Boston: $5.7 million. Net addition for Columbus: $5.7 million (Thomas has a 35+ contract, so his hit counts even if he retires). Boston gets an additional $4 million savings with Savard's retirement, giving them nearly $10 million to play with without even considering the possibility of a cap increase. That gives them a legitimate chance to take a run at Parise. They'd upgrade Peverley with Nash, and need to replace Krejci and Savard up the middle.
End results:
- Boston alleviates their goaltending headache and allows Rask/Khudobin to be the tandem going forward
- Boston upgrades from Peverley with Nash
- Boston keeps Hamilton and their prospects intact
- Boston clears almost $6 million in salary by moving two pending contract extensions, giving them a chance to re-sign their free agents

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
My thoughts from yesterday...

End results:
- Boston alleviates their goaltending headache and allows Rask/Khudobin to be the tandem going forward
- Boston upgrades from Peverley with Nash
- Boston keeps Hamilton and their prospects intact
- Boston clears almost $6 million in salary by moving two pending contract extensions, giving them a chance to re-sign their free agents
Krejci, Peverley, Thomas AND a first for Nash?

Wow, holy over payment.

Krejci and a first is fair enough, add in Peverley and Thomas also? I don't even want Nash and that cap hit anyway, CBJ can keep Nash and his 7.8 mill cap hit. The guy struggles to hit 70 points year in and year out, he had one good year and other than that he has been average.
The guy has a bigger cap hit than Stamkos and is right up there with Sid and Geno, no way he is worth anywhere near that type of money.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote