HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Colborne or Ashton

Old
05-20-2012, 05:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
You're not a fan, but what do you think is his potential in the NHL?
He has a chance to be a 3rd liner.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:15 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He has a chance to be a 3rd liner.
Good, thanks.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Wait a minute. Did anybody say that Ashton is the next Lucic? We are all saying that he could be a solid 3rd liner.
Not just here...

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
jebs

Colborne easily for me. Not high on either prospect, but Colborne has some potential for sure, maybe as a 2nd line C if all goes right.

Ashton does not have top 6 upside imo.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:16 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wait a minute. Did anybody say that Ashton is the next Lucic? We are all saying that he could be a solid 3rd liner.
I think he was just exaggerating to make a point

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Stats01

Colborne needs to have a bit more edge to his game, man o man he has the size and skill to be so dominant.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Ashton easily and he is really starting to get underrated around here. yes, his realistic chance is possibly a solid 3rd liner at worst but his potential still remains a good top 6 forward and possibly even a 1st line tweener if he puts everything together and it is much much safer than Colborne. in-fact, I don't see Colborne ever turning out to be a legit NHLer on a contender-like team because of his style of play, lack of intensity, and at times shows no drive.

Ashton at the very least has shows up in the defensive side of the puck, plays very physically, uses his size and strength to his advantage and is a beast along the board(kid was flat out our best player in board-work in his short stint). The only question remains with him is can he find some offense to his game? if he can, he will be a very good top 6 forward for a long-time and the type u can go comfortably go in play-offs with.
I didn't see any evidence of a top six skillset in his time with the Leafs, and at worst, he doesn't belong in the NHL, which is his current state.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I didn't see any evidence of a top six skillset in his time with the Leafs, and at worst, he doesn't belong in the NHL, which is his current state.
Yes because he was mostly being put on a 4th line with Brown and playing less than 5 min ice time/per game nearly every ocassion, besides u expect a kid to come out of juniors and make a splash in his first taste of few NHL games? I don't think so, unless it's an obvious high-end drafted prospect like Hall/Yakupov/Tavares etc.

The point is we all know Ashton has some work to on his offensive game but he has the size, strength, hands, speed and scoring touch to put up decent numbers(as in top 6 worthy). The question remains, can he put it together? who knows but it sure as hell doesn't mean he hasn't got the potential to.

Last edited by Fearless Leaf*: 05-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Ashton is a good bet to become a good third liner, he likes to hit, has good speed, drives to the net etc. Colborne has the size and skill to play top 6 in the future, he just needs to be given a lot of time to develop.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Ashton is probably a safer prospect but Colborne's actual ceiling is higher, I think. I prefer Ashton myself.
Actually this.

If they both reached their potential, then Colborne would be the better player.

Not likely that Colborne reaches his potential.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Yes because he was mostly being put on a 4th line with Brown and playing less than 5 min ice time/per game nearly every ocassion, besides u expect a kid to come out of juniors and make a splash in his first taste of few NHL games? I don't think so, unless it's an obvious high-end drafted prospect like Hall/Yakupov/Tavares etc.

The point is we all know Ashton has some work to on his offensive game but he has the size, strength, hands, speed and scoring touch to put up decent numbers(as in top 6 worthy). The question remains, can he put it together? who knows but it sure as hell doesn't mean he hasn't got the potential to.
Ashton averaged around 11-12 minutes a night, and while he wasn't in a scoring role, he showed zero offensive inclination, and none of the so called hands you're speaking of.

He's not fresh out of junior, this audition was at the tail end of a full year in the AHL. The fact that he didn't do anything in the AHL offensively also should tell you he probably isn't going to just magically blossom.

I don't expect him to put it all together right now, but I saw no flashes of offensive ability. The guy is just another mucker.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:59 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Ashton averaged around 11-12 minutes a night, and while he wasn't in a scoring role, he showed zero offensive inclination, and none of the so called hands you're speaking of.

He's not fresh out of junior, this audition was at the tail end of a full year in the AHL. The fact that he didn't do anything in the AHL offensively also should tell you he probably isn't going to just magically blossom.

I don't expect him to put it all together right now, but I saw no flashes of offensive ability. The guy is just another mucker.
21 goals and 38 points in 63 games is decent for a first year 20 years old in the AHL.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
TMLeafer

If I had to pick one of the two, I'd go with Joe.

TMLeafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:46 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Colborne has outstanding skill. I'd go with him.
Colborne's skill level is just not outstanding. He is a big guy with above average skill for someone that size, but if he were 6 feet, his skill level wouldn't be enough to be drafted.

I like Joe, I think he has a chance to be a decent winger in the NHL in the mode of an Eric Daze type. He has some decent ability when parked in front of the net, both in terms of ability to deflect, and ability to finish around the net.

he is still youngish, but at the same time has never shown the ability to dominate anywhere since Junior B.

So I will say Ashton would be the guy I would pick. he may never be a stud, but he has the type of game that can allow him to play in the NHL for 10 years. I think Joe will get a few chances at the NHL level, but will basically be a flop

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I could actually see Ashton being similar to Penner.

Big and can dominate, but only when they want to.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:28 AM
InvalidUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Colborne has outstanding skill. I'd go with him.
So did Nikita Filatov.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Colborne. He's a passenger 75% of the time and has been going back to his college days. Float, float, float, puck comes to him, momentary glimpse of skill, float, float, float. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for you), I think Chiarelli knew he had a rotten apple on his hands.

Ashton on the other hand is a gamer. I think he'd thrive as a complimentary 2nd liner who creates space and does the dirty work for his linemates or at worst a higher end 3rd liner, like Colby Armstrong.

InvalidUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Ugh this thread is making me type out so many rants about Toronto.

In short, Ashton was always considered a career 3rd liner and a trade to Toronto makes him the next Milan Lucic.

When your team (Toronto) is in desperate need for centermen, I'd take the potential 1st or 2nd line center (Colborne) over the potential 3rd line grinder (Ashton). I have no idea why you would take the 3rd line grinder when you have 3+ more of him in your system already and can find 4 more of him every year in free agency. Some how Leafs fans cry for centermen and then won't be patient with a 21 year old currently playing in the AHL conference finals
The Marlies being in the conference finals has almost nothing to do with Colborne. He's been invisible most games.

I prefer Ashton, I think he will become a very good bottom-6 player and I don't really think Colborne is going to become an NHL caliber player.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I prefer Ashton for his grittiness.

Last edited by iPunch: 05-21-2012 at 03:02 PM.
iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
For what I saw I want Keith Aulie back, Yzerman GM of Team Canada fleeces GM of Team USA Burke.
As a Lightning fan, I'd love to claim this.

I think that was a good trade though. Neither player has reached their potential yet and were playing for teams that had a lot of depth at the positions they play.

Ashton will probably at the very least be a good 3rd line player, and has the potential to be similar to Ryan Malone.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Ana Crusis

colborne

Ana Crusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
So did Nikita Filatov.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Colborne. He's a passenger 75% of the time and has been going back to his college days. Float, float, float, puck comes to him, momentary glimpse of skill, float, float, float. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for you), I think Chiarelli knew he had a rotten apple on his hands.

Ashton on the other hand is a gamer. I think he'd thrive as a complimentary 2nd liner who creates space and does the dirty work for his linemates or at worst a higher end 3rd liner, like Colby Armstrong.
So Joe's a guy who would have benefited more from playing in the CHL?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:03 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I think that was a good trade though. Neither player has reached their potential yet and were playing for teams that had a lot of depth at the positions they play.
I'd agree with this. I think it chalks up to a good hockey trade for both teams. Neither Ashton or Aulie are world beaters, but their value is higher to their current teams.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote