HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

State of the KHL 2011/2012 Season.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Robotic

vCash: 500
Hopefully Sochi and Krasnoyarsk get teams in a few years, but Krasnoyarsk has to build that 10,000 seat arena.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:06 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Has there been any serious talk about who is going to play in Sochi after the Olympics? Seems a shame to waste such a nice stadium...
Well, it doesn't matter who'll play there as long as there will be a team. My bet is on "Zhemchizhina Sochi"

Last edited by ult: 05-17-2012 at 04:12 AM.
ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:39 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
why the hell we need Sochi or Krasnoyarsk, no hockey history, nothing...let them raise their kids first and start from the MHL, nothing's ever done right (in case of Kransoyarsk - they have to establish their kids too, even though they have teams in VHL/MHL). Does anyone really want to see 200 ppl in Sochi on a brand new arena??? I don't.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
ult

You have no idea what you're talking about. 200 people? It's not about hockey, it's about entertainment. And the main competitors are cinemas and other family pastimes. With good management they'll be able to gather two times more people than moscow teams.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Keeptdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Except Finns are not going to suddenly start rooting for a "plastic team" (see Espoo Blues) that has no roots. There's been no real talk of a Finnish KHL team fora long time. The only investors in Espoo are the new owners of Espoo Blues. There simply isn't that kind of money in Finland to fund a KHL team.
I'm rooting for Espoon Blues . And ye there has been no talk but also I find it possible that Jokerit could be in KHL after 3-5 years from now since Kekäläinen is the GM and he seems to aim for high success. And I believe you can make a KHL team with Jokerit's budjet. Only thing which would concern me is traveling though.

Keeptdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. 200 people? It's not about hockey, it's about entertainment. And the main competitors are cinemas and other family pastimes. With good management they'll be able to gather two times more people than moscow teams.
it seems to me - you are the one who has no idea, as I have an example of Zhemchuzhina right in front of my eyes - millions pumped into it, ads all over NTV+ and streets of Moscow (why?) In the end - no club, debts to players and coaches, messed up schedule in the FNL...I, personally don't want to witness this circus over and over again.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
it seems to me - you are the one who has no idea, as I have an example of Zhemchuzhina right in front of my eyes - millions pumped into it, ads all over NTV+ and streets of Moscow (why?) In the end - no club, debts to players and coaches, messed up schedule in the FNL...I, personally don't want to witness this circus over and over again.
One word. Nogomyach.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
cska78

Quote:
One word. Nogomyach.
nogomyach in Sochi has roots (Zhemchuzhina is about 30 y.o. plus heavy georgian, armenian influence and they like football); hockey has no history and won't garner the interest of the locals. Also Sochi during winter is a ghost town

Old
05-17-2012, 07:05 PM
yunost

Quote:
nogomyach in Sochi has roots (Zhemchuzhina is about 30 y.o. plus heavy georgian, armenian influence and they like football); hockey has no history and won't garner the interest of the locals. Also Sochi during winter is a ghost town
Maybe Sochi could be KHL's Los Angeles Kings? Before the 3 Cali teams they have now there was no hockey history and even now barely any hockey talent gets developed there. Emerson Etem is the first Cali 1st round draft ever, and even he was doing roller hockey before going to Minnesota at a very young age and ultimately playing WHL junior Canada.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:06 PM
cska78

I don't believe in it, there's a trackrecord and precedent with football, which is MUCH more popular in that part of woods than hockey. Sochi is an overpriced resort, with poor (pre Olympic for sure) infrastructure, not enough year-round people living in it. Now, let's for a second assume that all the infrastructure will be utilized in post-Olympic Sochi, and there are people there year round, they sitll will be there for vacation purposes and won't go see the KHL, just how they never went to see Zhemchuzhina in PL.
California is a powerful market, one of the most powerful in the world, many people, celebs miles and miles ahead of Sochi. Sochi is more like Tampa or Florida but much-much weaker.
Add the proximity of Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan as well...I don't believe in it, but if it pans out, I will gladly admit I was wrong.

I am more interested in where the 2nd arena will be heading?

Old
05-17-2012, 08:51 PM
yunost

Quote:
I don't believe in it, there's a trackrecord and precedent with football, which is MUCH more popular in that part of woods than hockey. Sochi is an overpriced resort, with poor (pre Olympic for sure) infrastructure, not enough year-round people living in it. Now, let's for a second assume that all the infrastructure will be utilized in post-Olympic Sochi, and there are people there year round, they sitll will be there for vacation purposes and won't go see the KHL, just how they never went to see Zhemchuzhina in PL.
California is a powerful market, one of the most powerful in the world, many people, celebs miles and miles ahead of Sochi. Sochi is more like Tampa or Florida but much-much weaker.
Add the proximity of Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan as well...I don't believe in it, but if it pans out, I will gladly admit I was wrong.

That's fair, I see what you're saying

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:26 AM
ult

Quote:

How is that even comparable? Zhemchuzhina played in second division, in the old stadium, and they played football on top of that. You can't compare it to KHL, by far the most attendant league in Russia. Who in his sane mind will go to football with his family? With all those ultras, omon and poor infrastructure. Speaking of omon, for every 1000 viewers KHL teams have about 20 police officers and security forces, while in rfpl their number is 1 to 10. So yeah, it's not appealing, is it?

Now you're talking like Sochi is a small town. It is not. It has more than enough people to regularly fill 12k arena, be it summer or winter. And it certainly will have enough of Russian-descent middle class who'll be willing to spend their holidays in of the best arenas in Russia. And those who are on vacation will go there to see a KHL game as well, because you need to remember who spends their vacation in Sochi.

Second arena will be relocated to Vladikavkaz.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:37 AM
cska78

Quote:
How is that even comparable? Zhemchuzhina played in second division, in the old stadium, and they played football on top of that. You can't compare it to KHL, by far the most attendant league in Russia. Who in his sane mind will go to football with his family? With all those ultras, omon and poor infrastructure. Speaking of omon, for every 1000 viewers KHL teams have about 20 police officers and security forces, while in rfpl their number is 1 to 10. So yeah, it's not appealing, is it?

Now you're talking like Sochi is a small town. It is not. It has more than enough people to regularly fill 12k arena, be it summer or winter. And it certainly will have enough of Russian-descent middle class who'll be willing to spend their holidays in of the best arenas in Russia. And those who are on vacation will go there to see a KHL game as well, because you need to remember who spends their vacation in Sochi.

Second arena will be relocated to Vladikavkaz.
ok, you have no clue...Zhemchuzina played in PL quite some time.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:59 AM
ult

Yeah, like 15 years ago http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Жемчужина-Сочи. And they didn't play in PL since zhemchuzhina was formed again in 2007. Your point? It didn't work out, so it means that hockey won't work either? Oh, how knowledgeable of you.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:22 AM
cska78

Quote:
Yeah, like 15 years ago http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Жемчужина-Сочи. And they didn't play in PL since zhemchuzhina was formed again in 2007. Your point? It didn't work out, so it means that hockey won't work either? Oh, how knowledgeable of you.
"big" sport won't work there period, it's my opinion, backed up by previous attempts to build a successful football club. Football is MUCH more popular than hockey. And the reason Zhemchuzhina failed the last time around has nothing to do with attendance or sports.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:31 AM
ult

Well, just wait and see.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Coramoor

lot of interesting stuff, but I find it odd that non communist linked countries would join a league that is so financially unstable. Finland and Sweden and Germany. They simply can't compete with the Oil Money and given the much higher cost of living. It'd be a hard sell to succeed.

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote