HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
The memorial cup is more than just the games, its a festival of junior hockey which got a collective yawn from the Mississauga community. Selling out and having a half empty building is hardly anything to be proud of. Mississauga's host team wasn't even all that good when the dust settled, I'm pretty sure Windsor could have put a comparable team on the ice had it been awarded.
Not exactly sure where it gets you to revisit an event like this from last year. The Majors went through the application process in a bid to determine if an event like this could somehow trigger greater interest in the product locally, and to say the least it got lukewarm results.

**** happens and you move on. Not every Mem Cup will be successful, depending on your definition of successful. Could Windsor have done a better job? Probably, but as I say what's done is done.

Better to look forward than to wax on about the past, no?

Old
05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Mississauga's host team wasn't even all that good when the dust settled
They had the best record in the OHL by seven games and were in the Memorial Cup finals. If that's not "all that good", I'd hate to see what standard you're setting this at.

Old
05-17-2012, 05:42 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
They had the best record in the OHL by seven games and were in the Memorial Cup finals. If that's not "all that good", I'd hate to see what standard you're setting this at.
They did well, but I don't think the team was anything special. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...047152011.html
They were hard working, had a good system, good coach and home ice advantage so they did well. Props to them, and no disrespect intended towards their results. However I don't think you can say that they are any better than what Windsor could have put on the ice had they been awarded the cup.

Yeah all this stuff is old and the game of "what if" is pretty pointless, but it's pretty slow and there's not much else to talk about.

I don't really hold a grudge about not getting the cup, the process is what it is and we didn't get it. Maybe next time we'll be awarded the cup over a superior bid and it will be somebody else's turn to complain about it. Branch is a dummy though, London is not the center of the hockey world. He's such a wad for saying that about a team with 1 cup in their storied history. What a pandering ass-clown, he's worse than Mick Foley going for the cheap pop. He couldn't be bothered to show his face in Windsor when we won last time. I do hold a grudge against that guy for how he runs things. When I was in Rimouski a few years ago he was walking by me in the hallway and to this day I regret not giving him an atomic wedgie.

Last edited by jughead42: 05-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old
05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
They did well, but I don't think the team was anything special. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...047152011.html
They were hard working, had a good system, good coach and home ice advantage so they did well. Props to them, and no disrespect intended towards their results. However I don't think you can say that they are any better than what Windsor could have put on the ice had they been awarded the cup.

Yeah all this stuff is old and the game of "what if" is pretty pointless, but it's pretty slow and there's not much else to talk about.

I don't really hold a grudge about not getting the cup, the process is what it is and we didn't get it. Maybe next time we'll be awarded the cup over a superior bid and it will be somebody else's turn to complain about it. Branch is a dummy though, London is not the center of the hockey world. He's such a wad for saying that about a team with 1 cup in their storied history. What a patronizing ass, he's worse than Mick Foley going for the cheap pop. He couldn't be bothered to show his face in Windsor when we won last time. I do hold a grudge against that guy for how he runs things. When I was in Rimouski a few years ago he was walking by me in the hallway and to this day I regret not giving him an atomic wedgie.
Would have to agree with you in regards to your Branch opinion. I could post a novel on the things he does that are ridiculous. It really gets under my skin with how much he favors London over any other team.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
The memorial cup is more than just the games, its a festival of junior hockey which got a collective yawn from the Mississauga community. Selling out and having a half empty building is hardly anything to be proud of. Mississauga's host team wasn't even all that good when the dust settled, I'm pretty sure Windsor could have put a comparable team on the ice had it been awarded.
I think this whole festival of hockey is overblown. In Rimouski there wasn't a huge buzz in the city. The beer tents before the game were only 1/4 full. In Brandon the hockeyhouse was never that great until after the game but the hockeyhouse closes at midnight. My friend is going up to Shawinigan this year I will be interested to see if there is some kind of buzz in the city. I think the buzz is created moreso by the team that you have hosting it. I wouldn't under estimate the fact if a team loses in the playoffs early that hurts. If we put Windsor in the same situation and they lost early in the playoffs I bet that would hurt a lot.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Better to look forward than to wax on about the past, no?
True but it's not like there's any other Spits news to talk of. Boards are all about opinion and discussion right? What if's are perfect topics in that case ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Every game was sold out for the tourney in Mississauga the empty seats were ones that couldn't be sold on the secondary market so you may view it was embarrasment but fact is those tickets were sold.
Sold versus used are different things as already debated. I would think the CHL would want both as opposed to tickets being bought and fans dressed in disguise as seats.

Quote:
The media angle you portray is lame in my opinion. The media hardly gives the CHL much publicity as it is.
That's my point. You give the less knowledgeable (and lazy) side of the media an opportunity to latch onto perhaps one of the most recognizable figures in the CHL with Ellis. It's an easy puff piece for any media member regardless where he/she is from. Plus the concept of a threepeat, downtrodden Windsor, Mickey, etc. Lot's of easy fodder that may be rehashed but still easy to put out there. Aside from Cameron, Shugg and Cszikas, you had to dig for angles to cover on the Majors.

Quote:
I agree that the bidding process is ridiculous but nobody has come up with a better system.
Agree. It's a crappy process but unless you have a few major cities that could have a financially successful tournament regardless of a local team being in it, it's impossible to make a neutral site or late decision work.

Sadly, if you think about it, a neutral site set up would probably work with London.

Quote:
Spits lost Timmins, Mitchell, Young, Hall, Fowler, Nemisz, Henrique, Grubauer, Cundari, Wellwood. Hard to spin in my mind why Windsor had the team to win an OHL championship and Memorial Cup for a 3rd straight year. They might have been better with Shugg and Cantin but still not deserving of a Memorial Cup in my mind.
As others have stated, Campbell was in the fold with the imports to follow. Plus Rychel has the track record of making successful moves. As hard of a time it is for you to imagine a Cup caliber team for Windsor, I have an even harder time believing Mississauga was in much better of a position at the time of the selection win.

Quote:
Furthermore when you say parity is all about giving teams the opportunity to build a winner and not pass out a championship. Well until the drafting process in the CHL changes and the bad teams are rewarded by getting the best players in a draft without any draft games being played then we can complain.
Let's remember here that it takes two to dance and the kids/parents are just as liable in the shenanigans. The OHL has tried to help that with all the rules around 1st rounders not reporting but if prospects don't see a team as where they want to play, who else but that team is liable and how much more can the League fix that reputation issue? Hand them the host bid right?

Quote:
Derek you're a smart guy ...
That's libel. You'll be hearing from my lawyer. lol

Old
05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I think this whole festival of hockey is overblown. In Rimouski there wasn't a huge buzz in the city. The beer tents before the game were only 1/4 full. In Brandon the hockeyhouse was never that great until after the game but the hockeyhouse closes at midnight. My friend is going up to Shawinigan this year I will be interested to see if there is some kind of buzz in the city. I think the buzz is created moreso by the team that you have hosting it. I wouldn't under estimate the fact if a team loses in the playoffs early that hurts. If we put Windsor in the same situation and they lost early in the playoffs I bet that would hurt a lot.
I thought Rimouski was pretty impressive. Maybe it was just the Windsor fans that made it good, but it was a fantastic time and we were never bored. Sure, the beer tents were only 1/4 full, but the place had a buzz and you could feel it no matter where you went.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:15 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Hi guys, 1st time post here, in Regards to last year, if they (the spits) know there hosting, shugg and cantin no trade, and im sure a guy like wellwood, and maybe even hall is returned.If you remember hall didnt do all that much his 1st 9 games in the NHL...and maybe prompting a return to junior and mem cup. Also, im sure Rychel, would have dealt for at least 1 vet before season started, and you know at deadline Rychel would of got more than just carnevale, carrick,and brown, prolly a top notch defenseman to compliment ellis. Also maybe they dont trade Grubauer either. With that being said, its prolly enough to get them in mem cup for 3rd straight time, and with hosting they wouldve been favorites.....ohh well...hind sight...i guess....as for this season, i see them as prolly a top 3 in conference and depending on trades/health , at least a conference finalist.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
Hi guys, 1st time post here, in Regards to last year, if they (the spits) know there hosting, shugg and cantin no trade, and im sure a guy like wellwood, and maybe even hall is returned.If you remember hall didnt do all that much his 1st 9 games in the NHL...and maybe prompting a return to junior and mem cup. Also, im sure Rychel, would have dealt for at least 1 vet before season started, and you know at deadline Rychel would of got more than just carnevale, carrick,and brown, prolly a top notch defenseman to compliment ellis. Also maybe they dont trade Grubauer either. With that being said, its prolly enough to get them in mem cup for 3rd straight time, and with hosting they wouldve been favorites.....ohh well...hind sight...i guess....as for this season, i see them as prolly a top 3 in conference and depending on trades/health , at least a conference finalist.

I have to agree the spits would have done things diff if they would have been awarded the mem cup instead of missy.I dont want to beat a dead horse but IMO Branch slapped the Windsor fans in the face after we supported the all star game,prospects etc to show the league what we could do given the opp.
And now I wont support and buy tickets to anything else but the spits games.I didnt buy the U17 and wont for anyother CHL event and I know alot of fans that feel the same way.I will buy the 14' mem cup and if we ever along with Detroit/the Joe ever got the world jr's but thats it.Giving Windsor a third shot would have been a big thankyou ,but Branch isnt that smart.Having it in the GTA def. didnt elevate the league in a area thats now 90% new immigrants Missy/Brampton.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
1) Hall was never coming back....no chance, nope, not happening.

2) So he makes the trades he does AND bring in a top end defenseman to play with Ellis? with what assets?

3) They had Campbell coming in so Grubauer is moved regardless. Remember that we traded Grubauer and it made room for Khokhlachev. It was koko and Tommy that spear headed the offense.

Had Fowler been returned, and you keep Shugg and Cantin and draft Rychel then you're looking better. Was it enough to get past Owen Sound? I don't think so.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:10 PM
cfaub

To say Rychel would have done things differently if he had the hosting duties is an understatement.

Looking at who we could have had on last year's roster if they had been awarded the bid.

Up front - Ryan, Kassian, Shugg, Lanoue and Johnston (OA) returning from the previous Cup with Wellwood, Henrique and Nemisz as potential OAs. Obviously not all would have returned but with a chance at a threepeat I am sure one would have been sent back. Hall would have been gone for sure.

D - Ellis, Posa, Duininck and Cantin (OA) would have returned from the previous Cup. I could have seen Fowler coming back in that situation as well.

Goal would have seen Passingham (OA) return.

While not the best returning group they were still a solid core.

Add in Kuhnhackl and Khokhlachev to the top 9 and your forwards start to look pretty solid if one of the OAs were returned.

Kuhnhackl - Khokhlachev - Shugg
??? - Wellwood or Henrique or Nemisz(All OAs)- Kassian
??? - Johnston (OA) - Ryan
??? - ??? - Lanoue

We would not have Ebert had we been hosting which would have left the D looking like

Fowler - Ellis
Cantin (OA) - ???
Posa - Duininck

Goal

Campbell
Passingham (OA)

We would have had to move an OA by the deadline but we would have had 5 of our D returning to start the season. The picks gained from dealing Shugg/Cantin then returned to aquire Ebert would have never been exchanged.

The deal with Kingston would have likely gone through anyways so we would have still been ahead on picks to start the season after dealing Grubauer.

With knowing he had the bid on draft day (wasn't it awarded just before the draft?) would Rychel had tried letting Kerby slide and still drafted Webermin or would he have just taken Kerby in the first round saving himself a couple of picks?

Would Brown, Carrick, Carnevale, Tarini and Clouthier been aquired? All were OAs and while Brown was a nice addition the rest would not have been missed and the assets would have been used elsewhere. Same with MacIntyre and MacQueen. Would either of them have been added if they were making a run? I doubt it.

Add Kerby and Czinder to the above line up and that is how they would have started the season instead of looking to rebuild. With a few more assets to deal at the deadline than they had along with Locke and Trojanovic and there would have been better deals to make to add the missing pieces.

Yes it is all speculation and of course we can't say for sure that the players I suggest would have been returned would actually have been sent back, but the chances of them being returned when they were guaranteed a Memorial Cup trip would have definitely been better.

All speculation but it would have definitely been handled much differently than it was had they been hosting.

As for the media attention and marketability of the two regions for the tourney?

An indifferent market that has shown very little interest or support for the product

versus

A market that had a secondary market that could use the extra attention across the border
A market that had the underdog label after three years of tough economic times
A team that in it's fifth year of new ownership was going for it's third consecutive title
A market that had the emotional attachment of the Mickey Renaud story that could still be used
A market that had demonstrated the ability to host all the special events associated with the league
A market that had a team that had a chance to make history on home ice
A market that had a fanbase that was already in a frenzy from the two previous championships

Branch missed out on the chance to have potentially the biggest storyline in Memorial Cup history play out last season and instead went with a chance to sell a product to a region that doesn't want it.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
jughead42

We traded assets for a mini run, bringing in guys like Carrick, Brown, Robertson, and Carnivale. With Shugg and Cantin in the mix to begin with things probably could have been different. Let's not forget at least one American would have been likely to report if he was certain to play in the cup. Who knows, maybe we get smoked by the Sea Dogs even if we do get past Owen Sound, but it would have been fun to have a shot at it. We would have been a competitive host. Branch is a dick.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:19 AM
OHLTG

Mississauga was competitive. We need to stop complaining about not getting the Cup. Life moves on.

As for whether we'd have done things differently had we been awarded the Cup - sure, it's possible, but we were low on assets so making a major run would have still been difficult.

Quote:
Branch missed out on the chance to have potentially the biggest storyline in Memorial Cup history play out last season and instead went with a chance to sell a product to a region that doesn't want it.
Guaranteed money in a potential market v. not necessarily guaranteed money in a current market. From a business stand-point, he took a major risk and only they know if it paid off.

Frankly, this "we should have had the Cup...I wonder what would have been..." talk is getting tiring, even for me The Majors proved they had the team and we know what was behind why they got it. Time to move on and focus on 2014....not to mention enjoy watching London and Saint John go down in flames this year

Old
05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
big papa

I think that if we Host in 2014 or have a good team in 2014 then Players in USA Programs might come over much like Coyle did for the Sea Dogs

Old
05-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Sec108

Well said cfaub

Old
05-21-2012, 09:10 PM
defensehockey19

Apparently Czinder and Braithwaite will be moved soon from what I'm hearing.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Apparently Czinder and Braithwaite will be moved soon from what I'm hearing.
Are you sure both or just Czinder because then why even go out and get Braithwaite if your gonna trade him first chance you get. I Know Ottawa was calling about Czinder at the deadline but i dont know where Czinder would go, Maybe to the Soo for Findlay

Old
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Libbs

SSM has way too may 1992's coming back so doubtful he will go there.

Braithwaite moving means someone (Seiloff) is showing up.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
jughead42

It's all hogwash as far as I'm concerned until I hear what the legend has to say about matters. If my intelligence is correct, legend is Warren Rychel's stunt double and he might be filming a commercial in hong kong for some enforcer energy drink. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about it.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Ottomatic

When does summer trade window open? June 1st?

Old
05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
When does summer trade window open? June 1st?
Just before the Import Draft if I'm not mistaken. When that's is I have no idea but June 1 sounds reasonable.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:58 PM
OHLTG

For what it's worth, I'm hearing Czinder being tossed around, too.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:04 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
For what it's worth, I'm hearing Czinder being tossed around, too.
Hearing any possible takers?

Old
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
RayzorIsDull

I wouldn't shed a tear over either player leaving. One is just too soft and the other just isn't good enough. When one guy has been in the league for 4 years and hasn't done anything of note you probably won't get much out of him in his 5th year.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
izzys

I Went to work out at the wfcu and i heard abit about some moves

Czinders name was in alot of them but i im not sure yet seems like crazy but we will see what happence

As for Braithwaite i didnt hear much about him but what i did hear about alil was Devlin's name being thrown around abit to

Closed Thread