HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Was the UDSSR the most dominating hockey power the world ever witnessed

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
You should pick up a history book every once in a while. 30 years ago?
Oops I mis-calculated. That said it's been the last 20 years not 30. Not sure why you hate Canadians so much, you should come and visit I'm positive you would love the ppull here.

Quote:
I did. To quote: "Sure the Eastern bloc was notorious for using performance enhancing drugs but so was the NHL for quite some time." Those cheaters in the NHL!
Focus on the first two paragraphs, they have a lot more bearing to what the topic is. And frankly the NHL has never been notorious for steroids, the USSR was and they were caught numerous times.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Zuluss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Again, from what I understand, those teams were a colection of the best players within the Russian league. They played together, practicing against their league, and then were sent internationally. Again, Best on Best, Russia's (the USSR's) record has never been great.
Best on best, in the case of Canada vs USSR, is very tricky. They only played 16 games within the span of 15 year (Summit Series, CC '81, '84, '87). Canada has an edge with 8-6-2 record, despite being outscored 65-70. In terms of titles, it is 3 very close 1-goal wins to Canada ('72, '84, '87) and 1 blowout by the Soviets ('81, 8-1 final).

I think that the sample of 16 games and 4 events over 15 years is laughable and at best can suggest that the teams about equal.

Therefore, the much bigger sample of club games is very useful, even if it has biases either way.
On the one hand, Soviet teams were probably more stacked than Canadian teams, even though NHL in the 80s was much closer to current APL in soccer, with 5-7 big teams and the crowd, than to the current NHL.
On the other hand, the games were always in Canada on small ice and, iirc, in the host team arena, and the NHL teams had some Swedes and Finns and Americans on the rosters.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
They get all the credit they deserve and then some. Marge.
You seem to be a quite open minded person. Really smart too.

Enough time wasted

Old
05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Eisen

For me they were not dominating but basically a wash with Canada. They were one goal away in 2 series that are widely regarded as the best ever.

Edit: For me, they played the most aesthetically pleasing hockey of them all though. But there are many ways to play the game.

Last edited by Eisen: 05-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old
05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
And frankly the NHL has never been notorious for steroids, the USSR was and they were caught numerous times.
Prove it !

On the other hand, there's been none to zero drug testing in all majors sports in North America before the last 10 years. And the drug tests are still a joke if you compare them to Europe. Sure no one could've been caught because drug usage was just permitted.

North America is the worst example possible speaking about steroid over-usage.

So find something else, would you.

Old
05-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
You seem to be a quite open minded person. Really smart too.
Now you're getting it. Good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Prove it !

On the other hand, there's been none to zero drug testing in all majors sports in North America before the last 10 years. And the drug tests are still a joke if you compare them to Europe. Sure no one could've been caught because drug usage was just permitted.

North America is the worst example possible speaking about steroid over-usage.

So find something else, would you.
What does that have to do with the topic at hand. Try to keep up you're wasting my time.

Speaking of "proving it" prove that "North America is the worst example possible speaking about steroid over-usage."

Old
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Joey Banana

Funny thing is, no russian here even tried to find excuses for the losses of the soviet teams, but for every win they had youŽll find an excuse by a canadian. Steroids, did cheat, used pro athletes, had unfair balanced teams and bla, bla, bla.

I know, they were the bad guys, but they did play some beautiful hockey. They were as good as Canada in every year in the 70s and 80s. Just deal with it.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

I heard a fair amount of excuses by the Russian players when they lost. It got to the point where they were threatening to boycott playing if they didn't get their way as to who was going to coach the team lol.

Russians are good hockey players, just not the best.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
Funny thing is, no russian here even tried to find excuses for the losses of the soviet teams
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/se...rchid=16433293

Old
05-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Not sure why you hate Canadians so much, you should come and visit I'm positive you would love the ppull here.
I don't hate Canadians, I just hate one-eyed homers, whether they're Canadian homers or Soviet homers. But it's telling you think everybody who disagrees with you must be a hater. You're for us or against us, that seems to be your attitude. There's no place for rational discourse in your world.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Funny thing is, no russian here even tried to find excuses for the losses of the soviet teams, but for every win they had youŽll find an excuse by a canadian. Steroids, did cheat, used pro athletes, had unfair balanced teams and bla, bla, bla.

I know, they were the bad guys, but they did play some beautiful hockey. They were as good as Canada in every year in the 70s and 80s. Just deal with it.

Somehow you're missing the whole point in this conversation.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:45 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuluss View Post
Best on best, in the case of Canada vs USSR, is very tricky. They only played 16 games within the span of 15 year (Summit Series, CC '81, '84, '87). Canada has an edge with 8-6-2 record, despite being outscored 65-70. In terms of titles, it is 3 very close 1-goal wins to Canada ('72, '84, '87) and 1 blowout by the Soviets ('81, 8-1 final).

I think that the sample of 16 games and 4 events over 15 years is laughable and at best can suggest that the teams about equal.

Therefore, the much bigger sample of club games is very useful, even if it has biases either way.
On the one hand, Soviet teams were probably more stacked than Canadian teams, even though NHL in the 80s was much closer to current APL in soccer, with 5-7 big teams and the crowd, than to the current NHL.
On the other hand, the games were always in Canada on small ice and, iirc, in the host team arena, and the NHL teams had some Swedes and Finns and Americans on the rosters.
You're missing the 1976 Canada Cup.

In 1975 Montreal Canadiens widely outplayed the Red Army team that had 11 USSR national team members if I recall. They lost to the Philadelphia Flyers Stanley Cup champs in the same series.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
I don't care what the Soviet homers think. Any true hockey fan can watch those Canada Cups and know that they were won fair and square. It was absolutely fabulous hockey to watch.

The USSR would not have won all those Olympics and World Championships if Canada was sending it's best players. Their "dominance" is tainted at more than one level.

Canadians didn't cheat, USSR did. There is a big defference when using facts versus some jaded jealousy driven allegations.
What a homer.
Canadians are the biggest cheats in hockey... If we cant win fare and square we'll try to injure you mentality is for losers.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

You must be new here. Both sides throw out excuses to explain away their losses.

On topic, it was close in the Soviet era with Canada having the slight edge in victories (1972, 1984, and 1987) to USSR (1981). In the Canada-Russia era it has been one-sided in Canada's favor (1991, 2002, 2004, and 2010).

Old
05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
I don't hate Canadians, I just hate one-eyed homers, whether they're Canadian homers or Soviet homers. But it's telling you think everybody who disagrees with you must be a hater. You're for us or against us, that seems to be your attitude. There's no place for rational discourse in your world.
Sad you feel that way, especially since you are the one labeling posters as Haters or Homers. I have yet to use either term.

I just express my opinion and have been more than open-minded to hearing what the other side has to say. Maybe re-read the posts/thread tomorrow with a fresh mind? But you're using a typical approach to dealing with ppull who do not agree with your opinion. Its all kewl from my end.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
What a homer.
Canadians are the biggest cheats in hockey... If we cant win fare and square we'll try to injure you mentality is for losers.
Not a homer at all, just an objective poster, which you may not be accustomed to.

Canadians are pretty humble in the big picture of both life and hockey. You're accusing Canadians as being some sort of barbarians more dirty then any other country and as being cheaters above all others, quite frankly you're deluded.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
What a homer.
You mean like Mikhailov using his skates as weapons? It cuts both ways.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Rob

Mods please lock this thread. We all know it will get locked eventually.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Richard F Schiller
Grandmaster User

vCash: 50
Salo13 is the P4P (Post for Post) biggest Canadian Hockey Troll on the boards. Take a look at one of his other beauties from the Roster Predictions thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salo13 View Post
I would like to post my version of Team Canada 2014. Note that I was perfect at guessing the last 3 Canadian Olympic Rosters! Unfortunately, Canadian names are too tricky for people from my country, so if I made any misspelling, I apologize in advance. Anyway, if I didn't remember the exact names, you will be able to figure out who I have in mind. Note I chose to go with the proven success formula. Here we go:

Top line: O'Halloran Devorski McCreary
Second line: Diver#1 Crybaby(C) Diver#2
Dump'n'Chase line: Dump'n'Chase Robot#1 Dump'n'Chase Robot#2 Dump'n'Chase Robot#3
Checking line: Holding Guy Hooking Guy Interference Guy
Spares: Goon#1 Goon#2

Defense:
Boxing Team Reject - Wresting Team Reject
Baseball Team Reject - Basketball Team Reject
Crosschecking Guy - Slashing Guy
Goon #3

Goalies:
-Best puck handler on the team
-Crazy French-sounding dude
-Guy with clean urine, to be randomly drug tested, if needed.

Coaches and staff:
Head Coach: Old Grumpy Dump and Chase Devotee
Assistant/Dumping: Former Goon#1
Assistant/Chasing: Former Goon#2
Assistant/Cheapshot Coordinator: Former Goon#3
Team Doctor: former Ben Johnson's personal doctor.

So you've heard it here first. Go Canada Go!! Team Canada for the Win!

Old
05-22-2012, 12:01 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

This thread is over.

Closed Thread