HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rosival Plus/ Minus + 36

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 11:01 AM
PitthockeyFan

vCash: 500
Rosival Plus/ Minus + 36

I can't believe it. Rosival has a plus minus of + 36, third in the league.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it correct? I was stunned when I saw it.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?se...inusLeaderLink

Old
03-25-2006, 11:17 AM
polako

a great addition for the price that was paid for him. his strong play this season has led to debate on these boards as to whether or not to resign him, considering he will be seeking a raise.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Yes it is. He has been very solid with us, despite the unfair bashing he gets by some.

Playing with Jagr helps his +/- stat but hes been very solid.

Old
03-25-2006, 11:23 AM
bk3nj

yeah, it's correct. His partner, Malik is also up there with a plus 27 for the season. Their play has been steadier than I think a lot of us expected at the beginning of the season, which has been played a big part in the Rangers success, in my opinion.

I'd also like to add that I think +/- is a bit of an overrated stat.. For example: a player who is instrumental to a play that results in a goal (i.e. takes a big hit to make the outlet pass, etc.) but then ends his shift before the goal is scored does not get a plus on the play, but the player who just stepped on the ice does.

That said, it does give a general indication that a player is doing well (especially when the plus minus is a ways above the bulk of his teammates, as is the case here).

Old
03-26-2006, 09:23 AM
dedalus

Plus/minus is the worst stat in hockey and it's making Roszival look better than he actually is, BUT that doesn't erase the fact that Roszival has been steady. He's shown he's an effective 4-6 d-man in the NHL.

Old
03-26-2006, 09:32 AM
ivrydov

Malik tied for the lead with Martin St. Louis while playing for Vancouver the year before the strike. He's hovering at about 12th in the league now. Before that with Carolina, even in their cup run year, he was never among the leaders, so when he does it two years in a row, it's a sign it's no fluke.

Old
03-26-2006, 02:59 PM
rangerjoe

It's funny, I thought the bigger defensemen in this league would be sitting pylons with the enforced rules, but Rosi and Malik have been our most consistent dmen the whole year.

I also thought Philly's pickups of Hatcher and Rathje would hurt them, but it really hasnt been the case. I guess some d-men adjusted quicker than others.

I agree, +/- is an inaccurate statistic and shouldn't even be logged by the NHL...

RangerJoe

Old
03-26-2006, 04:48 PM
shoothepuck

While the +/- stat is not truely acurate, the fact that Roszival has been able to place so high, with two different teams shows that while he makes mistakes, they are not as costly to the team as one might think. He has played better than expected

Closed Thread