HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadian Bacon & Bookkeeping?

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2003, 02:38 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Canadian Bacon & Bookkeeping?

This is the biggest bounce back-to-back 2 game road trip of the the year for the Boys on the Bus. Lose One, Win Two you say, is best road to success? Ask any NHL coach how you ensure success and the answer is always the same. Never lose two games in a row! But that only ever gets a team playing .500 hockey. Part II of the success formula requires a team to heat up and string together a series of wins. But avoiding the doldrums and landing smack into a snowdrift of winlessness and apathy requires expert driving skills. Post celebratory withdrawal ending in a 4 -3 lose could commence a Classic depression. Once into the drift, where cooling can quickly develop into hypothermia the only course of action is to keep moving while keeping your chins up. Driving back onto a winning road prevents freeze-up and getting struck out in the cold.

Heading southwards promises to be a colourful mini road trip, first the Blue Jackets then the Red Wings. Black and blue with a little spillage of red will probably augment the official scorer's sheet. NHL results are still posted in black and white. The bottomline totals still sum up an 8 point possible Western Conference turn-around. That would be 4 points Edmonton earns and 4 points teams wanting to take your place in the playoffs don't tally. Double entry accounting practices can remove the mystery from profit and loss statements. One team's debits are offset by another team's credits. Plus depositing 4 valuable points into the bank earns compounded interest all year long.

With 20 games played and the first quarterly results already posted into this years ledger, on balance the Oilers are barely in the black. With a record of 10-8-2-0 in their first 20 games played, the E-Towners have earned 22 of a possible 40 points and reside in 6th place in the WC standings. Sitting 12th overall in a 30 team league Edmonton's next opponent Columbus sits 27th but sit in 15th place in the Western conference. Proximity to their hometown fan-based bank has had a very positive effect on the Blue Jackets play to date this year. Columbus has compiled a 7-3-1-0 record so far while playing at home. Cashing-in within the confines of Nationwide Arena for visiting rivals has been mostly a losing proposition. The Oilers needed a Skyreach to win 4 - 3 in overtime when the teams met last in Edmonton.

Hoping to cap-off a perfect homestand with their third win in a row at home, HotToddy (8 helpers) will again be attempting to assist a sizzling Rick Nash (12 goals) to burn the already frostbitten Oilers. Coming off a 3 to zero drubbing of Detroit and a 2 to 1 Long Island iced tea party, Columbus looks to make one more quick (2 point) deposit before they head out on the road. As unfriendly as the road has been for Captain Smith and the troops (3-5-1-0) the Blue Jackets are a disastrous 0-7-1-1. So we know the Blue Jackets will be gunning for Canadian turkey to dressup for the hometown American Thanksgiving long weekend in Ohio.

Brad Isbister was the OT hero when last these teams met, can and will he return to form and help his team post a "W" with another game winner? Will it be 'boneheaded' Brewer or 'excelling' Eric manning the bluelines and hopefully pasting Jackets at Nationwide? Only 1 goal in 20 games demands defensive accountability. Will Hemsky shoot, Smytty point the way, and York continue to yield dividends. Will second quarter results stall? or continue to Stoll! I know one thing for sure, taking a 2 game losing record into Detroit would be a bookkeeping nightmare.

John Candy himself, sitting up there in HollyWood heaven, would cringe if Canadian Bacon was first thawed and seared in Ohio, then with Oilers' Wagons Eastward Hoe! heading into The Michigan Territory, those same choice, Alberta porkers, would again be stripped (of 2 more points) and tailgate-barbecued in Motor City on the homeward trail.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:30 AM
H-Bear

I will never tell you that your readings are either boring or straight to the point. Interesting read, as always.

I too fear this short little mini-trip to CBJ and DET. The Oil never seem to play well against the Jackets (or any of the bottom teams for that matter). We always seem to play well against Detroit, and with them struggling like they are, we have a chance to take advantage ... but will the stars like Hull, Yzerman, and Lidstrom allow themselves to slip slide away? I doubt it.

You said you fear a hangover from the Heritage Classic; I'm going to have to take the other side of the coin (I think this is called optimism) and say they will rebound from an exciting time in EDM and win a rare one in Columbus. My second guess is that they face Legace (another backup) and get oiled by those greasy wings; returning home with one win, and one loss.

Breaking even is never a bad recipe for business; just not a good one.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
You said you fear a hangover from the Heritage Classic; I'm going to have to take the other side of the coin (I think this is called optimism) and say they will rebound from an exciting time in EDM and win a rare one in Columbus. My second guess is that they face Legace (another backup) and get oiled by those greasy wings; returning home with one win, and one loss.

Breaking even is never a bad recipe for business; just not a good one.
Winning in Columbus is hardly rare for the Oilers. They were 1-0-1 there last year, 4-1-1 all time. The Blue Jackets are a team the Oilers seem to have trouble with, but usually beat anyway (10-2-1 all time).

Old
11-25-2003, 05:56 AM
oilflash

I'm still angry with you OLyer and you know why - that if you even read the comments people make about your long remarks you make here at hf. I lurk alot and don't always comment i thought because of that last paragragh in one sentence was so funny i'd say so! I am older like you i think. John Candy was a real favorite of mine - so good one. Just thought you should know. Write something and use Planes Trains and Automobiles if you can.

Closed Thread