HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston to sign Swedish Goalie Niklas Svedberg

Old
05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Alicat
Charge!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
What? a Boston goalie with a temper? Never!
I love that video.

Apparently "Sveddy" is crazier than Tuukka. I can't wait to see him play. At least Providence will be more exciting this upcoming season.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Can someone tell me more about that goalie??

TT to Chicago

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:58 PM
MioneRask134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I love that video.

Apparently "Sveddy" is crazier than Tuukka. I can't wait to see him play. At least Providence will be more exciting this upcoming season.

This could be a new bromance!

And if it somehow gets Yeti to come over and play here? I think the board would explode!

MioneRask134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
caley

Stole this from poster Pellegrino on the Bruins board who put together a wonderful write-up on Svedberg if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino
A little home-made piece on Svedberg..

Background and early years: Started playing the game in Sollentuna, close to capital Stockholm. Moved to play junior hockey in Djurgården, which is the biggest club in Stockholm, but they didn't believe in him. Djurgården chose other goalie prospects instead, such as Stefan Ridderwall (whose father was a legendary Djurgården goalie, surprise surprise...) so Svedberg moved up north to Modo and played his last junior years there. Svedberg managed to get a few games for Sweden on U16, U17, U19 and U20-level, but he was never considered one of the very best goalie prospects in Sweden and he wasn't picked for U18- or U20 WC.

Time with Modo in SEL: He made his SEL debut for Modo in 07/08 but he didn't get a real chance to show what he could to until the 09/10 season. Modo clearly had a talent in Svedberg, but they had no proper goalie coach and the coaches and overall confusion & panic around their first team wasn't exactly ideal for a young goalie like Svedberg. He played 32 SEL games 09/10 and while he sometimes showed great potential, he lacked of consistency and lost his temper way too many times. It should also be noted that he played 23 games for Huddinge in SEL-2 in the 08/09 season, and his stats there aren't exactly impressive, but the team was simply horrible and I can tell you there's a huge difference between teams in SEL-2. Should also be noted that Huddinge are based in Stockholm so that loan period was good for Svedberg both on and off ice.

Development with Brynäs in SEL: Brynäs' established goalie coach, Pekka Alcén, known for doing a great job with many goalie prospects, earnmarked Svedberg as one for the future and Brynäs signed him up before the 10/11 season. While Modo wanted to keep him as backup goalie, Brynäs were prepared to sign Svedberg and another goalie prospect and let them have a straight & fair fight for the #1 spot. However, the other goalie prospect Brynäs signed, Mattias Modig from Luleå, signed for a NHL-team (never played in the NHL though) before he played a competetive game for Brynäs and the club obviously found themselves in a bad situation. They signed free agent veteran goalie Björn Bjurling, but he soon faily to badly that they had no choice but to look in the market again and there was San José Sharks goalie Thomas Greiss available, so they signed him. And they had to give Greiss lots of games. Despite that, Svedberg proved that he was in fact better than Greiss, however Svedberg couldn't play the last months during the season because of injury. This was the season when several NHL-clubs started to look at Svedberg, and Sharks were so impressive by Svedberg - they watched Brynäs games because they wanted to follow Greiss, who was still under contract with them - that they were seriously considering to sign Svedberg before his injury.

Great 11/12 season: Brynäs kept Svedberg but got rid of Bjurling (during last season) and Greiss (returned to Sharks after the 10/11 season). They also signed veteran Johan Holmqvist, a local guy and basically a legend among Brynäs fans. Svedberg and Holmqvist kinda shared the #1 spot. Both were very good, but perhaps lacked a bit of consistency to be the very best goalie in SEL. However, that changed when the play-offs started. Holmqvist actually played the first play-off games, but then he got ill and Svedberg replaced them. Then Svedberg played as a ****ing demon during the entire play-offs and won the gold medal. He was by far the best goalie in the SEL play-offs and plenty of scouts were very impressed. It should also be noted that Riderwall, who Djurgården considered to be a better goalie prospect than Svedberg when they were in the same junior team, ended this season as 3rd goalie for Timrå - the worst team in SEL.

Svedberg to WC - but not to play: While he was the most in-form Swedish goalie, he wasn't even considered to the Team Sweden manager Mårts, who said Svedberg's lack of experience made it impossible for him to get selected. However, Svedberg went to WC in Finland with his agent to meet representatives from several NHL-clubs. The amount of interested clubs was so big that they cut them off to 4 and then made a choice out of those 4.

Style: He's by no means the perfect "modern" goalie, but he's by no means an "oldschool" goalie either. His biggest asset is his mentality; he hates to let pucks in, no matter if it's training on SEL final games. He loves to compete, he's a winner. According to himself, the main reason of his obvious improvement during the last years in goalie coach Alcén and most of all that he nowadays can control his temper. He's a very aggressive guy on the ice, but less agressive now than 2 years ago.

Controversy: As already been noted in this thread, he's been involved in plenty of controversial moments in SEL. He's been accused of diving, death threats against opponents, and he loves to give opponents a slashing if he thinks they are too close. He has also challenged opponent goalies for a fight, but they turned down the "invites", and been involved in fights with opponent forwards, even though he wasn't throwing his gloves most of the times. To be honest he's probably one of the most disliked players in SEL, at least disliked by the other players in the league.

Attitude towards AHL & contract: He never made it a secret that he would be prepared to play several years in the AHL in order to make it to the NHL. Contract should be two-way contract. He never got drafted so that's no problem for Boston.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Why does everyone conclude this is the end to one of the B's goalies. He won't be coming straight into the NHL IMO. He'll need time in the AHL to adjust to NA. Even if that only took a year TT is a free agent after next season so maybe that's what their looking at. I don't see this changing our goalie situation at all.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Can someone tell me more about that goalie??

TT to Chicago
maybe Chiarelli saw that both team's fans were pretty agreeable to my proposal last week of Sharp, Bickell, and Crawford for Thomas, Krejci, and McQuaid.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is all part of a ploy to finally smuggle Carl Soderberg out of Sweden.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Why does everyone conclude this is the end to one of the B's goalies. He won't be coming straight into the NHL IMO. He'll need time in the AHL to adjust to NA. Even if that only took a year TT is a free agent after next season so maybe that's what their looking at. I don't see this changing our goalie situation at all.
There is no such thing as too many good goaltending prospects, or good prospects at any position, but that is exactly what he is at this point, a prospect.

Like you said, TT is an UFA after next season and the Bruins are making sure they have goaltending whenever Thomas does move on.

None of us really know if Thomas or Rask will be traded, many of us suspect something will happen, but like you, I don't think we should read too much into this acquisition yet.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
GK? Is that a thing?
Unless I'm missing an inside joke/reference, it's a pretty standard abbreviation for goalkeeper. It seems as if European countries strive to have 2-letter abbreviations for all positions.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I think it would be a smart move to trade Thomas at the draft, considering the return they can still get (most likely a mid to late first and a good prospect). Rask is definitely ready for the #1 spot and I'm sure Khudobin is good for 15 or so games. If not then sign a Biron or Auld as an insurance policy. If Chia can get a big return for an unneeded player then he would be stupid not to pull the trigger.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
You guys are sooooooo missing the point on this one.

The whole point of getting this goalie is to make Carl Soderberg feel warm and snuggy inside so he can get over here and dominate the NHL.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
LOL, sorry didn't see this, you beat me to it... Well done!

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Ferros

Svedberg was just terrible when he played for Modo a few seasons ago, one of the worst starters in the league if not the worst. I don't know what Pekka Alcén have done with him but Svedberg should be forever grateful to him if he signs with an NHL-club.

Though, he didn't really do a great season this year. He was 14th in SEL in SVS% just behind his teammate Johan Holmqvist. But apparently a great playoff was enough to get a contract overseas. Doubt he will see much time in the big league for quite many years though, maybe he can be a backup to Rask within a few seasons if he does well in AHL.

Hopefully he will stop with his embarrassing things like these, which he sadly does way too often:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8WHqislEo

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think it would be a smart move to trade Thomas at the draft, considering the return they can still get (most likely a mid to late first and a good prospect). Rask is definitely ready for the #1 spot and I'm sure Khudobin is good for 15 or so games. If not then sign a Biron or Auld as an insurance policy. If Chia can get a big return for an unneeded player then he would be stupid not to pull the trigger.
I'm not saying they shouldn't trade TT I'm sure it's been discussed if they see value elsewhere but a signing like this shouldn't be any kind of indication that such a move is imminent.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
klog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Bye Bye Thomas?

I kinda hope Winnipeg signs him and shares starts with Pavelec
I don't think Pavelec would like that very much

klog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:36 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
How many of these SEL signings have worked out in the past? I can't think of very many.
Thomas

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Thomas
I thought he was a SM-Liiga signing. Oh well, the point stands.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:58 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Rather foolish of NJ to hang onto Martin Brodeur at 40 years. What could they be thinking?
His SV% the past two seasons was average.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:00 AM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
any relation to Lennart Svedberg?
Nope

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Ferros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
I thought he was a SM-Liiga signing. Oh well, the point stands.
Thomas played for the swedish club AIK (00-01) before going to Finland and Kärpät (01-02) which he then left for Boston in 02-03.

Funny thing is that a few years eariler Mikka Kiprusoff played two seasons in the same swedish club before leaving for one season in Finland before he went to North America, don't think everyone knows about that.

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
Thomas played for the swedish club AIK (00-01) before going to Finland and Kärpät (01-02) which he then left for Boston in 02-03.

Funny thing is that a few years eariler Mikka Kiprusoff played two seasons in the same swedish club before leaving for one season in Finland before he went to North America, don't think everyone knows about that.
..and Bäckström (the goalie)!

05-22-2012, 08:40 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
How many of these SEL signings have worked out in the past? I can't think of very many.

the same can be said about KHL and FEL signings.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

carl "bigfoot" soderberg.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Mukfors

Svedberg signed a contract

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle14866657.ab

Quote:
Gold Hero confirmed - ready for the NHL club
... but does not reveal which
Brynäs lose his gold goalie.
Niklas Svedberg, 22, confirmed he has signed with an NHL club.
- It is clear, but the club would go out with it himself, he says to Gävle News agency.
Niklas Svedberg began Brynäs playoff adventure on the bench - but ended it as a gold hero.
22-year-old, originally from Sollentuna, nailed again Gävle team bag and held neutral is not less than four times.
Already last year there was interest in North America for the undrafted Svedberg, but after this spring's big games, the NHL clubs stood in line to associate itself of his services.
Sportbladet revealed just over a week ago that Brynäs-keeper decided to leave the premier league of world's best league, and now he confirms that it will.
The contract with the new employer is already signed.
- Yes, of course. But the club wants to tell it themselves, so I say no more, he says to Gävle News agency.
"Fun for Niklas'
Svedberg met with several clubs in Helsinki in connection with the World Cup, and most signs point to his choice had fallen on the Boston Bruins.
For Brynäs - who now must find a replacement - is the loss of gold hero heavy.
- It's never fun to lose someone we assumed would be there, but it's the world we live in. It's great for Niklas part and a little too Brynäs part also, it shows that we do something good. We have shipped off many now, but take up new people and will again, says sports director Michael Sundlöv to Gävle News agency.
33-year-old John "Honken" Holmqvist's supplement is available from the J20 team.
- We do not know exactly how it will be yet, but we do have a potential guy in Oscar Dansk (18 years). He is ranked second in Europe in his age group for the draft so there is clearly a promising goalkeeper. Oscar is a good option, says Sundlöv.

Boston?

Last edited by Mukfors: 05-23-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Mukfors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:21 AM
punk_o_holic

based on this thread, I would say yes, Boston.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1193853

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote