HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Got A Question About A Player? Fantasy? The Team History? Draft History? Anything?

Old
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

vCash: 500
He was great this season and average last season (maybe a bit above average). I was looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs and expected to see the Volch that stoned us in 2007 but we have not seen that yet. I suspect that he is injured, but whatever, he has gotten better over the course of the playoffs (since about game 3 in round 1).

B

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
lucscaps

what are the circumstances around Sean Burke and how he left the Devils.

lucscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
FilthyNote*

Bryce Salvador

Hey guys, long-time Blues fan here (my whole life).

I was just curious what you all think of Bruce Salvador? I always enjoyed him on the Blues and absolutely hated trading him for *shudder* Cam Janssen. Never could get into Cam's play and I really missed Salvador.

That being said I guess I didn't miss him enough to follow his game in NJ. However during these playoffs he has looked great!

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
Hey guys, long-time Blues fan here (my whole life).

I was just curious what you all think of Bruce Salvador? I always enjoyed him on the Blues and absolutely hated trading him for *shudder* Cam Janssen. Never could get into Cam's play and I really missed Salvador.

That being said I guess I didn't miss him enough to follow his game in NJ. However during these playoffs he has looked great!
Sal was one of our steadiest defensive defencemen during the regular season, and one of the cornerstones of our record setting PK. Last summer, many of us thought he'd be washed up after missing a whole season with a concussion, but he's been solid as a rock and didn't miss a game.

In the playoffs, it's been exactly the same, except he's started scoring too. We're honestly not sure where this has come from, but we like it.

Many of the other Devils credit him with being a vocal leader in the room as well. When Kovy was out for Game 2 of this series, Sal wore the A in his stead and everybody agreed he was the natural choice.

He's going UFA this summer, and I wouldn't mind bringing him back for a one year deal. But Lou might let him go due to the logjam of NHL ready defensive prospects forming behind him. I'll miss him if that's the case.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Sal was one of our steadiest defensive defencemen during the regular season, and one of the cornerstones of our record setting PK. Last summer, many of us thought he'd be washed up after missing a whole season with a concussion, but he's been solid as a rock and didn't miss a game.

In the playoffs, it's been exactly the same, except he's started scoring too. We're honestly not sure where this has come from, but we like it.

Many of the other Devils credit him with being a vocal leader in the room as well. When Kovy was out for Game 2 of this series, Sal wore the A in his stead and everybody agreed he was the natural choice.

He's going UFA this summer, and I wouldn't mind bringing him back for a one year deal. But Lou might let him go due to the logjam of NHL ready defensive prospects forming behind him. I'll miss him if that's the case.
Glad to hear it thanks!

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:05 AM
jolii

Jacob Josefson

Does anyone know the status on Jacob Josefson's injury? Will he be back soon? It's been like 5 weeks since he got injured (they said 4-6), but is it possible he could be fit for fight for the next round?

jolii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

got his cast off yesterday

selyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
He has started skating again, but I don't when he'll get back in the lineup, because the Devils' current fourth line is playing so well.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Tundra

Retro Musings: Was the 1994 Team Better Than All the Cup Teams?

Discuss.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

2001 was, without a doubt, the best team we iced.

Brodeur was mediocre that series... and Colorado was stacked. While Forsberg was arguably better / more influential that year that Niedermayer, you figure those two are a wash.

The refereeing that series was atrocious. Such a hard on for Bourque.

To this day, I don't think we ever had a better team on paper.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

No, 2000 and 2001 were deeper teams.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

The 01 team wasn't really a different team than the 2000 team as it had many of the same players, but the team played a lot better, and more contributions. We had Mogilny an entire season unlike the season before when he was a deadline pickup. We added Turner Stevenson to the 4th line, enforcer Jim Mckenzie was added in the off season. Aside Robinson coaching the whole season unlike the year before when he took over in the last 2 weeks for Ftorek it wasn't much different. Though we didn't have Claude Lemieux or Malakhov again. We let them walk after picking them up as trades during the season.

A career year for Elias, and Sykora in particular. Do you remember when Neidermayer, and Arnott held out until November, and Lou caved in to their demands after a big losing streak? Marcel Goc's brother Sasha Goc I believe his name was actually filled in on D before Niedermayer re signed.

How about when half our team was injured around February/March? Remember when we had all kinds of AHL guys? Pierre Dagenais, Jiri Bicek LOL! Once most of the team came back healthy didn't we go like 18-2 to end the season?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
2001 was, without a doubt, the best team we iced.

Brodeur was mediocre that series... and Colorado was stacked. While Forsberg was arguably better / more influential that year that Niedermayer, you figure those two are a wash.

The refereeing that series was atrocious. Such a hard on for Bourque.

To this day, I don't think we ever had a better team on paper.
This. Its absurd when you go back and look at not only how good that Devils team was, but how ridiculously good that Colorado team was. On a pure talent level, I think you would be hard pressed to find another Stanley Cup Finals matchup that could surpass that one. At least within the last decade or two.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I loved that Colorado team too, and aint bitter or gonna say we got screwed out of the Cup, but why the hell did Colorado retire Bourque's number? Cause he won his only Cup there? That's a huge LOL! I'm not sure how many numbers Colorado has retired. I don't even know if they carried over the numbers from Quebec or Quebec retired any. I'm sure Sakic, and Roy are up there hanging. Don't know if they retired Adam Foote's number yet or if they will. Bourque though?

That's like us retiring Alexander Mogilny's number! He won his only Cup with us!

His extent here was Bourque's extent with the Avs. Deadline pickup, and then one full year. ALMO did not come back in 05 either! Haha. How about Neal Broten? He won his only Cup with us! I believe he was number 9? Or was he 7? Those are taken right now, but there is room for number 89!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:48 AM
ncredible

New Jerseys Goalie situation

Just curious with Marty 40 years old, Hedberg at 39.
I expect Brodeur to hang em up at the end of these playoffs win or lose.
He's been one of the all time greatest, nothing left to win.

The goalies in the system would be lucky to make it to being an NHL back up.
Who's the next starting goalie of the New Jersey Devils??

I can't believe no strong prospect has been drafted a few years ago developing for this time.. Marty can't play forever.

I believe this is a huge need for the summer to address this need.

Congrats on the win tonight over the Rangers.
tough series.

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
All signs point to Marty returning next season. He even said he wanted to. Should buy Lou an extra year to figure this out.

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:56 AM
ncredible

Still though even if he does return do you not sign some new blood?
Someone to have Marty mentor in his last season if he does return??

Old
05-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Rella17

bring up Kinkaid

hope Wedgewood develops

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
Still though even if he does return do you not sign some new blood?
Someone to have Marty mentor in his last season if he does return??
Most feel that goalie prospect Keith Kinkaid will split duties with him next season. No one really knows though so we'll have to wait and see.

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:15 AM
BarneyRoss

I admit I was wrong last night...Marty's still got it

BarneyRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:28 AM
slammer

dont get the discussion. everyone seeing how Marty plays should know this guy has enough left in the tank to be on top of all NHL goalies for another few years...

slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:50 AM
ncredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
dont get the discussion. everyone seeing how Marty plays should know this guy has enough left in the tank to be on top of all NHL goalies for another few years...
So you think it's fine to keep starting a 40 year old for the next few years?
There's no way as he continues to get older he will be able to play 50+ games a year and keep the Devil's competitive.

I think next year a solid (YOUNGER)starter should be signed and have him be the 1b with Marty going in what could be his last year as the 1a.
Mentoring the goalie to continue what Marty has done.. (don't know who will ever be that good again.)

Old
05-22-2012, 03:59 AM
slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
So you think it's fine to keep starting a 40 year old for the next few years?
There's no way as he continues to get older he will be able to play 50+ games a year and keep the Devil's competitive.

I think next year a solid (YOUNGER)starter should be signed and have him be the 1b with Marty going in what could be his last year as the 1a.
Mentoring the goalie to continue what Marty has done.. (don't know who will ever be that good again.)
I would sign a young goalie who can have 1-2 years besides marty...so, when the young goalie has weakness, marty can help out

slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:09 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 0
How exactly will Marty mentor a young goalie? His style is unique, he won't be able to teach it to anyone. And i would rather have a goalie prospect get 60+ starts in the AHL than have him sit behind Marty for 50-60 games. Bring back Moose and Marty for next season and hope either one of our current prospects works out or we will be able to sign a FA goalie like Smith or Elliot for cheap.

Just Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:22 AM
Parise9Crosby87

we got scott wedgewood but i still like them to pick up another goalie in this years draft

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote