HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Never touched the ice before.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Braeden

vCash: 138
Never touched the ice before.

I'm planning on playing ice hockey this year. I haven't played before due to the funding issue but now I have a job and can spend the required money on the required equipment. I already have a team to join but what gear would you guys reccomend for drop in hockey and stick and puck?

Thanks in advance!

Braeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Check the stickies above, they'll tell you all most of what you need to know.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
I'm planning on playing ice hockey this year. I haven't played before due to the funding issue but now I have a job and can spend the required money on the required equipment. I already have a team to join but what gear would you guys reccomend for drop in hockey and stick and puck?

Thanks in advance!
i take it you are from vancouver? richmond has stick and puck where you only need a stick a puck and skates. Helmets and equipments are recommended but not required

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:20 PM
qmechanic

If there's a good local hockey store near you, they can get you setup real fast. That's what I did for my first set of hockey equipment.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
TrueBlue86

lol if you haven't touched ice before you might want to take a few months to learn how to skate decently before playing hockey

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Braeden

vCash: 138
I take it this is at the Oval in Richmond?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
i take it you are from vancouver? richmond has stick and puck where you only need a stick a puck and skates. Helmets and equipments are recommended but not required

Braeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
lol if you haven't touched ice before you might want to take a few months to learn how to skate decently before playing hockey
This! I stepped on the ice for the first time about 3 months ago, and I'm glad I learned to skate comfortably without a stick first.

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
Unfortunately, this is the truth. You'll just end up frustrated if you try to learn skating and hockey at the same time. Don't put money into equipment just yet -- put it into skating lessons and ice time. Wait to start hockey until you can do basic skating movements comfortably (glide, stop, turn) and you'll end up learning everything faster and feeling better about it.

As for your original question regarding equipment -- I'd recommend starting with a good helmet and shin guards. You're going to fall down, so you may as well have padding on your head and knees, and the shin guards will prevent any unnecessary injuries from stray shots. Gloves are a good idea just to get your hands used to the feeling, but not completely necessary.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
I take it this is at the Oval in Richmond?
I meant Richmond Ice Centre, but I agree with the other comments, put a few months into just skating first. Its important to learn skating without the stick, otherwise you will be using the stick for balance/support and develop improper techniques

Old
05-21-2012, 11:56 PM
CanucksSayEh

I borrowed a pair of used skates from a friend about a year ago, learned how to skate during public skate times at local rinks. Mostly 8 rinks in Burnaby. After a few months I got a stick, bucket and gloves and started going to stick and puck. I picked it up pretty quickly, ofcourse I regret not starting when I was young, but I have the competence to not completely embarrass myself out there now. I got some of my gear new ( helmet, gloves, elbow, jock ect ), and shoulder pads, pants and shins used. Sports junkies in Vancouver is good. I'm looking forward to joining a beer league team this fall. Definitely recommend spending as much time as you can skating before trying to actually play. It takes a lot of repetition and dedication as ice time is scarce and can get expensive. Good luck.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
I borrowed a pair of used skates from a friend about a year ago, learned how to skate during public skate times at local rinks. Mostly 8 rinks in Burnaby. After a few months I got a stick, bucket and gloves and started going to stick and puck. I picked it up pretty quickly, ofcourse I regret not starting when I was young, but I have the competence to not completely embarrass myself out there now. I got some of my gear new ( helmet, gloves, elbow, jock ect ), and shoulder pads, pants and shins used. Sports junkies in Vancouver is good. I'm looking forward to joining a beer league team this fall. Definitely recommend spending as much time as you can skating before trying to actually play. It takes a lot of repetition and dedication as ice time is scarce and can get expensive. Good luck.
another option besides sports junkies is cheapskates on dunbar and 16th, they have a ton of cheap 2nd hand gear... get a few skates in before taking the big splurge on new expensive gears

Old
05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
shoeshine boy

get a helmet, get a helmet, get a helmet!
I definitely agree that you should either do some learn to skate classes of at least go out to public skate for awhile and work on the basics but you really need to have a helmet and probably shin pads before you really start learning to skate for hockey. like someone else said, you're going to be falling and it's very easy to fall and hit your head while ice skating. I did it several years ago when I was first learning and ended up with a wicked concussion and a $1500 hospital bill.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
beth

Another vote for helmet. I know I whacked my head on the ice at least three times while learning and was really glad I had it! Shin guards and elbows will help too. The more gear you have on, the more youll be able to push yourself out of your comfort zone.

Have fun out there and let us know how it goes!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
v3rs3

Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
Another helmet suggestion.

I don't ever skate without a helmet anymore. When I decided I wanted to start playing hockey again last year, I thought I'd go to a public skate and see how well I could still skate. Apparently not as good as I remembered. I ended up falling face first into the ice and smashed my nose/face on the ice. Blood everywhere.

Even if I'm just at public skate with my kid, I'm still wearing a helmet.

v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:48 AM
steev182

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
get a helmet, get a helmet, get a helmet!
I definitely agree that you should either do some learn to skate classes of at least go out to public skate for awhile and work on the basics but you really need to have a helmet and probably shin pads before you really start learning to skate for hockey. like someone else said, you're going to be falling and it's very easy to fall and hit your head while ice skating. I did it several years ago when I was first learning and ended up with a wicked concussion and a $1500 hospital bill.
Remember that your brain is going to bounce about in your skull despite a helmet being on your head, so even though you're wearing a helmet, don't go around thinking you can go headfirst into boards or anything. You still don't want your head to hit anything. The helmet is really best for stopping the ice, errant pucks and sticks from fracturing your skull. Despite this, I'll suggest a helmet too.

One thing on skates, just because Target has a pair of CCMs in you resize for $50, doesn't mean they are any good for skating. I made that mistake and the ankle support on them is non existent. Go to a Hockey Store and get them to try a few different skates on for you to make sure they fit. I wish I did!

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
windycity

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
If you can find a program, you should try and do instructional hockey before or at the same time as you join your team. Programs vary but for beginners usually it's an emphasis on skating and some puck drills, then often a short scrimmage. It will help you work on the fundamentals. I've been playing for 2 years now as an adult and I started with instructional and now do both instructional and league. The key is icetime, you'll get more of it in instructional plus you'll be able to work on different stuff which you don't really get the chance to during games. Anyway, good luck.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
donkers*

I thought everyone in Canada was born with hockey skates on their feet and a stick in their hands

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
AIREAYE

I was born with a ping pong paddle and badminton racket...then I threw that **** away and played real sports.

I'll be the rebel here and suggest a CAGE to go with that helmet.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Welcome! And stick with it, so rewarding in so many ways. Fun, healthy, gets you motivated, provides competition, socially engaging, just a great sport.

The less experience you have, the more beneficial it is to have padding on your joints (elbows, hips, knees). If you have a good amount of disposable income and you really want to get into the sport, I'd recommend the minimum gear in the sticky thread.

You really want to learn to balance and move on skates a bit before even trying to use a stick. I would recommend renting some skates and going with a friend to an open skate.

THE BEST way to learn to skate and play hockey is a beginner program, which will teach you all the basics including skating.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
JaeTM

You guys aren't required to wear full equipment when you play on ice?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:34 PM
steev182

Hey Jae, I'm in Queens, kind of on the border of Queens and Long Island, and at World Ice in flushing, when you're just there for stick & puck, the only equipment is stick, skates, gloves and helmet with cage...

For clinics and open ice, you need full equipment.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Hank4Hart

basically just wrap yourself up with as much bubble wrap as you can so it doesnt hurt when you fall.

you can't truly learn how to skate if you have the fear of falling constantly luring in the bac of your head.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
steev182

I found wearing Hockey Pants really helped me push harder! A couple of falls in those, realization that 'hey, it doesn't actually hurt my arse' helped get rid of some of the fear.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
Hey Jae, I'm in Queens, kind of on the border of Queens and Long Island, and at World Ice in flushing, when you're just there for stick & puck, the only equipment is stick, skates, gloves and helmet with cage...

For clinics and open ice, you need full equipment.
Understood but he said he was on a team already, so I figured that meant a league, no? Whenever I play in leagues, at least ice or hitting leagues, you need full equipment. Roller, we just need elbow pads and shin pads. And a helmet of course.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Lososaurus

Remember that you don't have any traction sliding your feet forward or back( like what you would do in socks to build a static charge on carpet ), your control is side to side with your edges. Turning your feet will give you control in the direction you want. Most people have balance and strength issues in the beginning because they don't often use those balance and control muscles everyday. Try doing simple balance exercises like standing on one foot for an extended period of time or even 1-leg hops. Also try 1-leg squats, which will help with power as well as balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I'll be the rebel here and suggest a CAGE to go with that helmet.
I'll second that. There is no need for unplanned dental work, it can happen even in pickup. Some people complain about the bars getting in the way, but I'd rather play with a cage than spend a ton of time and money suffering at the dentist's office.

As far as the gear to spend time and money on, I have to go with skates and helmets. Poorly fitting skates can ruin the whole experience by how much your feet hurt and be a hazard to your skating. A poorly fitting helmet can be a problem too; You want to keep your brain on the inside of your skull.

Shin pads of any sort should suffice. When you pay more for them, its often a comfort and side-padding upgrade. They almost all have the same plastic on the front and will provide great protection. You should always face the puck when blocking a shot.

Pants are ones I think you can save a few bills on too. They may not fit *perfectly*, but they don't need to. Not like skates, helmets and elbow pads. I recommend using suspenders.

Shoulders and elbows are ones I like to spend a few bills on. I had a pair of elbow pads that slipped down constantly and eventually went down and banged the back of my elbow on the ice. Enough to sideline me for a couple weeks. Make sure the elbow pads you get don't slip. The protection most provide will be good, though I'm not a fan of the all-soft elbow pads I have some teammates that like them.

Most shoulder pad upgrades will provide tougher foam for protection and maybe some design changes. The level of protection is up to you and how many pucks you might be stepping in front of.

You don't need to use the super duper sticks either. They are for the kids whose parents pay for everything and want to spend money. Sure the expensive sticks will be better, but the cheaper ones will surely get the job done. Make sure it is about the right length and flex for you though and go from there. If you're not sure about what curve to use, try something like the Easton Iginla or Heatley curves to start. They are very 'neutral' in that they don't go to extremes like the Easton Chara( deep curve ), Getzlaf/Lidstrom( wide open heel ), Easton Sakic/Hall( open mid-toe ) or Zetterberg( closed mid ). I used Easton because those are the curves I know, all manufacturers will have the same general types of curves and you can match one to another( The Bauer Backstrom and Toews curves are pretty similar to the Easton Sakic/Hall ).

Did I forget anything in particular?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote