HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorellaís tactics canít rescue Rangers

Old
05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
It really is amazing, I constantly sit watching them cycle the puck behind the net with all three forwards and wondering what the end game is there. There is no one in front, so even when we manage to get it to the point, there is no one screening the goalie.

Also for a team that loves to work the boards, we're pretty poor at it.
It's awful ... beyond awful. Why don't we simply get in front of Marty?

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
exactly 18 years ago yesterday, Game 4 East Finals vs NJ. Devils took a 2-0 lead in the 1st and NYR were outshot 12-3. Keenan benched Messier, Leetch and pulled Richter.
that's extremely odd... wow

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I do think if/when the Rangers get more offensive talent, he's going to have to open it up a bit.

I mentioned this before, I'm wondering with Tortorella preaching defense all the time, is it taking away from the offense?

There's no way this team should be this bad on odd man rushes and the PP.

They look like they're not coached when it comes to offense.

Reminds me of a NBA team that has a defensive minded coach but that coach is clueless about offense.
as much as i sincerely dislike torts, i cant blame him for whats happening. Similar to Renney he realized early that the only way THIS team will win is to scrape out 2-1 wins with defense and goaltending. If gabby didnt turn it arond this year we prob are sniffing the 8 spot again which is clear by the playoff performance so far. THIS team is simply incapable of playing an uptempo offensiveminded game i give torts credit for recognizig this and enforcing a system that gives them a chance every night.

as far as not being coached on 2-1's...these are elite players, playing on the biggest stage, they do not need to be coached on how to handle odd man rushes. as far as im concerned these players need to be let lose, especially on the power play. they have been playing this game thier entire life they know how a pp works, let them play.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:20 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
It's awful ... beyond awful. Why don't we simply get in front of Marty?
It's the same thing every round we're asking this question.

I'm starting to think we don't have the players who are WILLING to do this.

Only Kreider has done it.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

It's hard to get traffic in front when you don't establish possession in the opposing team's zone.

05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:

Yup......only Kreider and an ocassional Stepan

Do we really have a bunch of panzies that don't want to go to the net???????

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's hard to get traffic in front when you don't establish possession in the opposing team's zone.

even when WE DO get the puck.......NOBODY ever goes to the net then either

Old
05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
exactly 18 years ago yesterday, Game 4 East Finals vs NJ. Devils took a 2-0 lead in the 1st and NYR were outshot 12-3. Keenan benched Messier, Leetch and pulled Richter.
Imagine what this board would have looked like back then? Imagine what this board would have looked like going into game 6?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:32 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

it's crazy how the team is willing to block shots but when it comes to standing in front of the other goalie to create a screen, nobody does it. and if it does happen, it's not done well enough, save for the other night when Kreids had that tip in.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
even when WE DO get the puck.......NOBODY ever goes to the net then either
That's not really true. There was traffic on Girardi's goal in Game 3 and Game 1. Kreider in Game 3 and Game 2 obviously. Callahan got robbed in Game 3.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 05-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Imagine what this board would have looked like back then? Imagine what this board would have looked like going into game 6?
"What the Hell is Messier Doing?!!!!!!!"

Why is he GUARANTEEING a victory???!!!!"

"Does he think he's Namath or something???!!!"

"This Team is Done", "No Heart!!!"

"Iron Mike has to GO!!!!"

Old
05-22-2012, 09:36 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
That's not really true. Their was traffic on Girardi's goal in Game 3 and Game 1. Kreider in Game 3 and Game 2 obviously. Callahan got robbed in Game 3.
hence I said only Kreider and occasionally Stepan
(hence we got those goals)

and Cally drives to the net, but no one else......

Old
05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
NYROrtsFan

Brooks hates Torts for obvious reasons so he does take pleasure with any of the team's struggles.

Gonna be so great when the Rangers win the cup so Brooks can suck it like the rest of them.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Brooks hates Torts for obvious reasons so he does take pleasure with any of the team's struggles.

Gonna be so great when the Rangers win the cup so Brooks can suck it like the rest of them.
Uh, he predicted the Rangers to win the cup. He had the Rangers and Preds in the SCF.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:43 AM
SnowblindNYR

Speaking of creativity does anyone else miss the creativity of the Jagr teams from 06-07 through 07-08? That team had more creativity in its pinky than this team does in its body. They lost to two teams far superior to any that we've faced so far. If we faced this type of schedule those two years we would have easily made the finals and it wouldn't take us 7 games. Those teams were far superior to this one AND much more fun to watch.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:44 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
as much as i sincerely dislike torts, i cant blame him for whats happening. Similar to Renney he realized early that the only way THIS team will win is to scrape out 2-1 wins with defense and goaltending. If gabby didnt turn it arond this year we prob are sniffing the 8 spot again which is clear by the playoff performance so far. THIS team is simply incapable of playing an uptempo offensiveminded game i give torts credit for recognizig this and enforcing a system that gives them a chance every night.

as far as not being coached on 2-1's...these are elite players, playing on the biggest stage, they do not need to be coached on how to handle odd man rushes. as far as im concerned these players need to be let lose, especially on the power play. they have been playing this game thier entire life they know how a pp works, let them play.
Well said.

When Torts came in 3 years ago all you heard was "safe is death" and go go go. To Torts credit it took him about three games of watching Wade Redden embarrass himself and the game of hockey to realize that wasn't going to work with this group. He switched to a style much closer to Tom Renney than the Tampa Bay Torts. Instead of trying to unearth this hidden offensive potential that didn't exist he coached to the teams strengths. Defense and goaltending.

The problem at the moment is that we have been outplayed 10 of the 12 periods in this series. Outside of a super human effort by Lundqvist in Game 3 we could very easily be down 3-1 in this series. Why are we being outplayed this badly? In my opinion it could be two things.

1)We have mentally and physically hit the wall after playing our grinding/blocking shots type style the entire year. It is finally catching up with us. We've played playoff style hockey for 100 games.

2)The Devils aggressive forecheck style is winning against our style of hockey.

Regardless you have to give the Devils credit. They are playing better than us right now. The million dollar question is, does torts stay true to our style or change it up. I'm not sure what the answer is. Hopefully torts does.

Sidenote:
You can practice 2 on 1's all you want. If Brian Boyle has the puck on a 2 on 1 something positive likely won't occur. That isn't from a lack of practice. That is because Boyle is extremely limited in what he is capable of. Practice doesn't fix Boyle's vision of the ice. Blame genetics.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
hence I said only Kreider and occasionally Stepan
(hence we got those goals)
That's not what I'm commenting on. You said that when they gain the zone and establish control that no one creates traffic.

And, I don't know what your talking about with Stepan. He's been invisible.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:46 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Speaking of creativity does anyone else miss the creativity of the Jagr teams from 06-07 through 07-08? That team had more creativity in its pinky than this team does in its body. They lost to two teams far superior to any that we've faced so far. If we faced this type of schedule those two years we would have easily made the finals and it wouldn't take us 7 games. Those teams were far superior to this one AND much more fun to watch.
Ahhhhh........I miss Nylander and Straka too. That was some fun and creative offense we had then!!! We also had that creativity with Kovalev, Leetch, Zubov, Messier, Graves, Larmer too!!!

Old
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
so Torts System is the reason why we can't create ANY OFFENSE

but why does this team screw up rushes more than ANY OTHER TEAM I have seen?

No way to put it, but they F'ing Blow on their offensive rushes. The botch passes, go offside, have no creativity whatsoever play after play. What is up with that?
having two 4th lines doesn't help. We have very little vision and creativity in this lineup and Torts doesn't feel the need to insert some at the expense of defensive responsibility. So, we get a team that plays defense and hopes for a PP goal or a breakdown or a bounce.

Tough way to win. We will insert more skill into this lineup in years to come but for this year we can only win ugly. How is Brian Boyle doing? Seems like he sucks again and is playing too much.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

We also never made it past round two with Jagr/Straka/Nylander.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post

Tortorella and Sullivan know the inherent limitations of their roster and in turn have implemented a system which minimizes these weaknesses. I don't know how any objective rangers fan could call this team a bunch of chokers when they've greatly overachieved. The defense is a basically carrying this team both offensively and defensively. And we all know Henrik has been a wall. Enjoy the journey I say. This team is only going to get better.

Last edited by Tundra: 05-22-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
That's not what I'm commenting on. You said that when they gain the zone and establish control that no one creates traffic.

I disagree. Step has had more puck possession in the offensive zone than any other forward. But nobody goes to the front of the net so he feeds the point. Cally is not getting to the prime scoring places and that is giving Step few options. He's winning battles without an outlet for the puck. He needs to shoot more.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Tundra

And also, isn't it a bit scary that an 18 year old straight from the Frozen Four cracked your top six? If that's not an indictment on your scoring problems, I don't know what is. Kreider is a good player, but when he's one of your top forwards right now, you have some major problems.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:51 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:

correct......when they gaine the zone, they either dump it down to the corner aimlessly for an attempt at another 3 man behind the net cycle, or they shoot a weak wrister at the Goalie with no one driving to the net nor near it

Stepan was screening Brodeur on a Goal or two is i'm not mistaken this series. Other than those tow and Cally......no one creates traffic. Parise was parked right in front of Lundqvist for a Slam Dunk last night. God forbid we EVER see something like that from the Rangers....

Old
05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
And also, isn't it a bit scary that an 18 year old straight from the Frozen Four cracked your top six? If that's not an indictment on your scoring problems, I don't know what is. Kreider is a good player, but when he's one of your top forwards right now, you have some major problems.
We know.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote