HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorellaís tactics canít rescue Rangers

Old
05-22-2012, 10:54 AM
evilllempire*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
having two 4th lines doesn't help. We have very little vision and creativity in this lineup and Torts doesn't feel the need to insert some at the expense of defensive responsibility. So, we get a team that plays defense and hopes for a PP goal or a breakdown or a bounce.

Tough way to win. We will insert more skill into this lineup in years to come but for this year we can only win ugly. How is Brian Boyle doing? Seems like he sucks again and is playing too much.
Boyle is clearly playing too much.......but he's a Torts Fav so the stuborn Mule will keep sending Igor out there unfortunately

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's hard to get traffic in front when you don't establish possession in the opposing team's zone.
this!!!

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
And also, isn't it a bit scary that an 18 year old straight from the Frozen Four cracked your top six? If that's not an indictment on your scoring problems, I don't know what is. Kreider is a good player, but when he's one of your top forwards right now, you have some major problems.

Yup.....like I said. I believe it is because Kreider hasn't been with this team long enough to be infected with the "Torst System" where he turns everyone into a Robot Stiff brainwashed to just Chip it In and Grind

Old
05-22-2012, 11:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
And also, isn't it a bit scary that an 18 year old straight from the Frozen Four cracked your top six? If that's not an indictment on your scoring problems, I don't know what is. Kreider is a good player, but when he's one of your top forwards right now, you have some major problems.
Kreider is 21, but yeah.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Tortorella and Sullivan know the inherent limitations of their roster and in turn have implemented a system which minimizes these weaknesses. I don't know how any objective rangers fan could call this team a bunch of chokers when they've greatly overachieved. The defense is a basically carrying this team both offensively and defensively. And we all know Henrik has been a wall. Enjoy the journey I say. This team is only going to get better.
as a Die-Hard Rangers fan.....I certainly have enjoyed the ride. We have "overachieved" in many respects with this roster. We have ALOT to look forward to in the future with our very young core.

But we are here.....2 games from the Cup Finals, literally so close to the finish line.

It's frustrating because we do have some players with the skillset to change the game, but Torts "system" restricts them from being able to do so. Also, Torts refuses to change things up for Offense for he feels that will compromise our Defense. That's frustrating

Old
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Two Tone Malone
Neopolitan Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
Boyle is clearly playing too much.......but he's a Torts Fav so the stuborn Mule will keep sending Igor out there unfortunately
I've always supported Boyle, even when a majority of the people on this board were claiming he should be jettisoned immediately. I always thought he had a place on this team, albeit as a 4th line center and no more. But I'm starting to wonder if there is anything he does well? He's good at PK but terrible at clearing the puck...

Two Tone Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That's not what I'm commenting on. You said that when they gain the zone and establish control that no one creates traffic.

And, I don't know what your talking about with Stepan. He's been invisible.
Unfortunately, this. I don't know if he is injured or what but you barely notice him out there. I thought the hit on him last night would wake him up a little but that didn't work.

Except for his PK, I would seriously think about benching him.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
I've always supported Boyle, even when a majority of the people on this board were claiming he should be jettisoned immediately. I always thought he had a place on this team, albeit as a 4th line center and no more. But I'm starting to wonder if there is anything he does well? He's good at PK but terrible at clearing the puck...
this and he can't take/receive a pass.....EVER

nor can he pass the puck to a teammate in the offensive zone, and never during an offensive rush

Old
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
schabadoo

Odd: we're in the exact same place as the last two series, but now it's time to panic?

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
hence I said only Kreider and occasionally Stepan
(hence we got those goals)

and Cally drives to the net, but no one else......
Stepan has been a joke this series, as has Callahan.

As has really every forward but Kreider.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
as much as i sincerely dislike torts, i cant blame him for whats happening. Similar to Renney he realized early that the only way THIS team will win is to scrape out 2-1 wins with defense and goaltending. If gabby didnt turn it arond this year we prob are sniffing the 8 spot again which is clear by the playoff performance so far. THIS team is simply incapable of playing an uptempo offensiveminded game i give torts credit for recognizig this and enforcing a system that gives them a chance every night.

as far as not being coached on 2-1's...these are elite players, playing on the biggest stage, they do not need to be coached on how to handle odd man rushes. as far as im concerned these players need to be let lose, especially on the power play. they have been playing this game thier entire life they know how a pp works, let them play.
Excellent point.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
exactly 18 years ago yesterday, Game 4 East Finals vs NJ. Devils took a 2-0 lead in the 1st and NYR were outshot 12-3. Keenan benched Messier, Leetch and pulled Richter.
i was not here 18 years ago but didn't the rangers had a much better team back then ?

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Two Tone Malone
Neopolitan Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
Odd: we're in the exact same place as the last two series, but now it's time to panic?
The difference was that we were never as outplayed over the first four games as we have been in this series.

Two Tone Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
as a Die-Hard Rangers fan.....I certainly have enjoyed the ride. We have "overachieved" in many respects with this roster. We have ALOT to look forward to in the future with our very young core.

But we are here.....2 games from the Cup Finals, literally so close to the finish line.

It's frustrating because we do have some players with the skillset to change the game, but Torts "system" restricts them from being able to do so. Also, Torts refuses to change things up for Offense for he feels that will compromise our Defense. That's frustrating
The only problem I have with the "young core" mentality is Hank is 30. Not saying he will decline but I mean ... how many "BRILLIANT" years does he have left? Truth be told ... they need to win it THIS YEAR ... FOR HIM! If for nothing else, do it for Hank who has basically saved this franchise almost a decade ago.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Boyle is playing hurt. The guy really stepped up in the first few games (vs. Ottawa) and is a shell of what he was since the Neil hit. Really at this point of the season what options are there?

This team is tired and spent. The reason the Devils look that much better is the effort they expended on the Flyers was an order of magnitude less than the Rangers vs. the Caps.

Before anyone says that I am using an excuse or downplaying the Devils, I am not. That is playoff hockey 101. It is the equalizer, it is what it is.

Miamipuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with how badly we are getting out played. The ottawa series was dead even in terms of dominance, same for Wawshington ... not this series, If it wasn't for Hank we might have been swept or down 3-1.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Go post on your own board please ... we know we suck we don't need you rubbing it in. **** OFF!

Old
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Boyle is playing hurt. The guy really stepped up in the first few games (vs. Ottawa) and is a shell of what he was since the Neil hit. Really at this point of the season what options are there?

This team is tired and spent. TH ereason the Devils look that much better is the effort they expended on the Flyers was an order of magnitude less than the Rangers vs. the Caps.

Before anyone says that I am using an excuse or downplaying the Devils, I am not. That is playoff hockey 101. It is the equalizer, it is what it is.
Any devils fan who tells you that we have/are getting the Rangers best is a fool. The rangers are tired, spent and hobbled, and it's quite miraculous the devils aren't going to MSG to close them out.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
SnowblindNYR

Man, I'm engaged with this team because they're my team but everything I hate about hockey this team personifies. No creativity, dump and chase. Everyone loves talking about dump and chase, north south game, shoot from all angles. I don't know what's so appealing about it. It's the lowest common denominator. Hockey used to be fun to watch. We might as well play a bunch of good ole fashioned 4th line North American kids that have hands of stone but can dump and chase. I mean that's what everyone wanted when they were ******** on Euros? I mean that's good ole fashioned North American hockey that everyone wanted, right? Note, not all North Americans play like this, but I remember everyone ******** on Europeans for being too east west and not shooting. There are plenty of North Americans that have creativity (Crosby may be the most creative player in the league for example). By North American, I mean the style. I think a hybrid style is what's needed.

This team is just boring and I'm glad when we win but I can't even argue about hockey being such a great sport compared to baseball with the way the Rangers and most of the league is nowadays.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 05-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brooks picked the Rangers in 7. Is the series over after 2-2? Where did he expect the series to be after 4 games? 2-2. In 1994 aftert game,Keenan told the media off the record all of his players were hurt. Then the Rangers stunk in game 5 which was on a Monday night. By Friday night,the Rangers had defeated the Devils.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:19 AM
OverTheCap

I wish the Rangers were capable of scoring off the rush more, similar to what Feds did last night. Marty gets beat by those shots, and it would help compensate for the Rangers' lack of sustained offensive zone pressure. Instead, what usually happens when the Rangers rush down the ice is that they mishandle the puck or make a bad pass, do the patented skate behind the net move to start the cycle, or dump the puck which usually results in a Rangers forward losing a battle along the boards.

Also, the Rangers' failure to capitalize on odd-man rushes is very frustrating. As another poster mentioned, I don't think Torts is at fault for that. The players need to rely on their instincts in those situations, and unfortunately this team doesn't have many players that are offensively gifted. It's tough to blame the coach when the players can't connect a pass or shoot high and wide.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooks picked the Rangers in 7. Is the series over after 2-2? Where did he expect the series to be after 4 games? 2-2. In 1994 aftert game,Keenan told the media off the record all of his players were hurt. Then the Rangers stunk in game 5 which was on a Monday night. By Friday night,the Rangers had defeated the Devils.
Throw out fatigue and injuries if the rangers can make game 7 somehow. The crowd can carry them throw a game like that. So certainly, all hope is not lost.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
schabadoo

Quote:
Throw out fatigue and injuries if the rangers can make game 7 somehow.
'Can make'?

It's 2-2.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Any devils fan who tells you that we have/are getting the Rangers best is a fool. The rangers are tired, spent and hobbled, and it's quite miraculous the devils aren't going to MSG to close them out.
Because of this man

Old
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
The difference was that we were never as outplayed over the first four games as we have been in this series.
The Rangers could have been trailing 3-1 after game 4 in the Ottawa and Caps series. The Rangers won game 3 in Ottawa 1-0. Henrik stood on his head. The Rangers needed a million OTs to win game 3 in the Caps series. The bounce of the puck determines these games. The Rangers are in the same spot.2-2. Same panic thread appeared in Ottawa series after 4 games. The Rangers blew a 2-0 lead in game 4 against Ottawa. They lost game 4 late in the 3rd against the Caps.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote