HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Sign Andrew Johnston from Humboldt of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Old
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Flyers Sign Andrew Johnston from Humboldt of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

uhhh who? per facebook feed

http://www.facebook.com/philadelphiaflyers

Mod edit:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed RW Derek Mathers and LW Andrew Johnston to entry-level contracts, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Johnston, 20 (7/6/91) comes to the Flyers as an undrafted free agent out of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, where he appeared in 58 games for the Humboldt Broncos last season. The 6-1, 178-pound native of Saskatoon recorded 29 goals and 52 assists for 81 points and led the Broncos to the league’s Anavet Cup championship.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://gcobb.com/2012/05/21/flyers-s...drew-johnston/

Quote:
The Flyers announced today that they have signed prospect Derek Mathers and undrafted free agent Andrew Johnston to entry level contracts. Mathers’ contract was just a matter of time after the forward announced the news last Thursday.

The Johnston announcement, though, came completely out of the blue. Per the Flyers, “Johnston, 20, comes to the Flyers as an undrafted free agent out of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, where he appeared in 58 games for the Humboldt Broncos last season. The 6-1, 178-pound native of Saskatoon recorded 29 goals and 52 assists for 81 points and led the Broncos to the league’s Anavet Cup championship.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-22-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Played 2 years for my hometown Bombers. He was a great player for Jr A level, but def a longshot to NHL.

My mom bought his jersey at year end auction last year, so would be wicked if he ever made the Flyers !!!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

This guy:

It's likely a 35+ contract. Let's just check his birthday...Dec 29, 1808. I sure hope it's only for one year.

05-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
This guy:

It's likely a 35+ contract. Let's just check his birthday...Dec 29, 1808. I sure hope it's only for one year.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:30 PM
jfb392

I'll copy and paste what I said in the prospects thread:
Quote:
He was a Union commit.
It's pretty rare for a kid to go from junior A to pro, but I guess they felt he could.
He was very good at the RBC Cup, so that probably caused interest.
It's probably a safe bet to say he'll be starting in Trenton.

Instead of a scouting report from me, here's an ISS blurb:
Quote:
Andrew Johnson

high-end offensive skills good size power forward controls the puck well off the cycle soft hands hard, accurate shot good hand-eye coordination most effective with the puck on his stick confident
It'll be a three year deal because he's still junior aged.
Like I said, pretty rare for kids to go from junior A to professional hockey, especially scorers.
There are a couple enforcers who have done it (Sheldon Brookbank), but the only scorers I an think of that did it were Fedotenko and Zubrus.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Like I said, pretty rare for kids to go from junior A to professional hockey, especially scorers.
There are a couple enforcers who have done it (Sheldon Brookbank), but the only scorers I an think of that did it were Fedotenko and Zubrus.
Kyle turris he was also drafted though

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
bennysflyers16

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...rph-ca-6603010

Old
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Kyle turris
He spent a year at Wisconsin before turning pro.
The players I mentioned turned pro straight from junior A, which is a huge jump.
There are actually a lot of good players in the various leagues, but most need time to develop.

Last edited by jfb392: 05-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:19 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Coincidentally, both were also with the Flyers

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:07 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Holmgren wastes a lot of contract spaces on useless players that have a bad chance at actually turning into NHL players

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Boldest prediction ever: Johnston makes the flyers next season JUST SAYING.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
dem

SJHL is the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Kyle turris he was also drafted though
Also Jamie Benn was drafted out of BCHL (but did play major junior before turning pro).

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Also Jamie Benn was drafted out of BCHL (but did play major junior before turning pro).
This is an interesting signing. It looks like a few teams were kicking the tires, acc. to his agent in an article I saw.

Could just be another Matt Read type late bloomer who was too skinny for the WHL and miss the draft playing at a lower level awaiting college.

We'll have to see if he turns out to be another Read or Harry Z, or if he's more of a Pither/Harper longshot.

In our scouts we trust, they've been doing good work uncovering hidden gems.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Norm MacDonald

What a waste of contract space. A 20 year old still playing in Junior B? Embarrassing

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

You just never know. I am a half glass full kind of guy, so good luck AJ and welcome to the Flyer's family.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
This is an interesting signing. It looks like a few teams were kicking the tires, acc. to his agent in an article I saw.

Could just be another Matt Read type late bloomer who was too skinny for the WHL and miss the draft playing at a lower level awaiting college.

We'll have to see if he turns out to be another Read or Harry Z, or if he's more of a Pither/Harper longshot.

In our scouts we trust, they've been doing good work uncovering hidden gems.

That is how I look at it.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
You just never know. I am a half glass full kind of guy, so good luck AJ and welcome to the Flyer's family.
I am exactly the same way. I love the people who are saying the kid is a waste of a contract spot, and I'm sure they never seen him play. Also other NHL teams where interested in him, so it's not like we came out of the blue with this signing. Flyers and other teams scouts saw something in him that they really liked, and it just so happened we made the best offer. Like you said in the next post, this is where I heavily rely on Flyers scout to know how to do their job. They have done a great job finding players like AJ and many more who people over looked. I hope the kid becomes a regular a few years down the road for us.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Well, two things you can count on regarding Holmgren.

1) He will get rid of second round draft picks regardless of the return.

2) He will max out the number of contracts no matter the quality of the players.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Codith

They obviously see something they like.

I give them the benefit of the doubt because this team is good at finding these type of players.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
jlockhart89

Posted this in the prospects sugning forum as well:

Just my 2 cents, had the priveledge of watching Johnston all year for the Broncos. I wondered several times during the season if he'd get signed to an NHL deal after coming out of college in a few years time, so it's not entirely surprising to me that he got inked to a deal already. He is a silky smooth forward with great offensive instincts and great finish.

He was hands down IMO the top forward in the entire RBC Cup tournament (looking better even then more notable players like Mario Lucia and Wade Murphy from Penticton).

One game in particular he cycled the puck around the Soo Thunderbirds zone for a solid 5 and a half minutes with team mates. They wound up scoring twice during that large period of dominance, but had it not been for tournament MVP John Kleinhans in net Johnston probably could've had 3 or 4 goals in a 6 minute stretch alone.

He finished the tournament with a scoring line of 5 goals and 4 assists in 5 games inlcuding 3 game winners. The guy is clutch and knows how to score. Not sure how his game translates to the pro leagues but he is definitely the best all-around forward I've seen lace up for the Broncos in my time.

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:35 AM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
What a waste of contract space. A 20 year old still playing in Junior B? Embarrassing
SJHL is not Jr. B, it's part of the CJHL Junior A Hockey League in Canada, a step down from the CHL but far better then Jr. B. Lots of NHL Players have played in the CJHL.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
Posted this in the prospects sugning forum as well:

Just my 2 cents, had the priveledge of watching Johnston all year for the Broncos. I wondered several times during the season if he'd get signed to an NHL deal after coming out of college in a few years time, so it's not entirely surprising to me that he got inked to a deal already. He is a silky smooth forward with great offensive instincts and great finish.

He was hands down IMO the top forward in the entire RBC Cup tournament (looking better even then more notable players like Mario Lucia and Wade Murphy from Penticton).

One game in particular he cycled the puck around the Soo Thunderbirds zone for a solid 5 and a half minutes with team mates. They wound up scoring twice during that large period of dominance, but had it not been for tournament MVP John Kleinhans in net Johnston probably could've had 3 or 4 goals in a 6 minute stretch alone.

He finished the tournament with a scoring line of 5 goals and 4 assists in 5 games inlcuding 3 game winners. The guy is clutch and knows how to score. Not sure how his game translates to the pro leagues but he is definitely the best all-around forward I've seen lace up for the Broncos in my time.
That is a good endorsement considering how dominant the Broncos have been in the SJHL over the years .

Old
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
That is a good endorsement considering how dominant the Broncos have been in the SJHL over the years .
We've had some damn good forwards lace up for the Broncos over the last 10 years. Some guys battled issues such as size (hell Marshall for the Broncos this year was a stud, but not a very big guy), but Johnston's a complete package. Size, speed and talent.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
SJHL is not Jr. B, it's part of the CJHL Junior A Hockey League in Canada, a step down from the CHL but far better then Jr. B. Lots of NHL Players have played in the CJHL.
Right... when they were too young to play in college.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote