HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
OK, Fine. name me at least ONE UNILINGUAL potential coach with experience and who is CLEARLY SUPERIOR to any of the candidates we're talking about so far.

If you cannot name one, then there is NO reason to not choose a bilingual coach.
I agree. I've no problem with a french coach, I prefer it in fact, and there are no clearly better anglo candidates. Thank god by the way, or we'd be in major ****.

You've banged on about this for a while. If there was a unilingual anglo coach who was clearly more qualified, would you support him? I would support a unilingual french coach who was the best. Can you say the same for an anglo? Yes or no? Answer the question, and get all the other guys to answer it too.

Because a lot of guys on this board would not support a clearly better unilingual anglo coach. For OUR team. Not YOUR team. A team we live and die for. All of us.

Its obvious, and it's insulting. And that's what's pissing a lot of guys off, pissing a lot of lifetime loyal Habs fans right off.

And a lot of guys on this board need to recognize and respect that. There is a LOT of disrespect on this board from some people right now, to long time, loyal Habs fans who respect and love the team as much as any guy here. And who loved their french players and history when some of you were not even alive, but loved winning with the best, anglo and franco. That's the Habs.

Last edited by bsl: 05-22-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old
05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
LaTenderness

Has Roy signed on yet???

Old
05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I do not understand this way of thinking that a coach is irrelevant.

So why do teams fire coaches if they are not important to the success of the team?

Why do we see teams like Los Angeles underperform and then when they get a new coach, they play better? Same for St. Louis.

There is a reason that Scotty Bowman was able to win a Cup with 3 different teams. There is a reason why there are so many coaches who had talented teams but could never win the Cup.
Fair enough WS.

I think Bowman was a genius because he let players play, and shut his mouth. And he was a genius because Sam Pollock gave him ****ing great players, year after year.

And why do coaches get fired so much? Because most are interchangeable crap. Its amazing how few GMs realize this.

And why do teams pick it up after a coaching change? Because a change is refreshing. That's all. Note too that coaches who came on on a change get fired just as much.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
He played 6 seasons there and 3 seasons in Quebec he probably have a working base in english (or even more) add to this a summer learning and he could be a bilingual candidate if he isn't already one.

2002-03 Moose Jaw Warriors WHL Assistant
2003-04 Moose Jaw Warriors WHL Assistant
2003-04 Prince George Cougars WHL Headá 58 26 25 7 0 0.509 Out of Playoffs
2004-05 Prince George Cougars WHL Head 72 26 41 3 2 0.396 Out of Playoffs
2005-06 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL Assistant
2006-07 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Assistant
2007-08 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 44 29 0 7 0.594 Lost in round 1
2008-09 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 49 22 0 9 0.669 Lost in round 2
2009-10 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 41 30 0 9 0.569 Lost in round 1
2010-11 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 44 22 0 14 0.638 Lost in round 2
2011-12 Nashville Predators NHL Assistant

Solid resume, he is an experienced pro coach and an ex NHL player learning froma great nhl head coach and he is receiving praises.
Don't care if he does not speak a word of English. Sounds like a good candidate. They should interview him.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:16 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
As usual, excellent comment WS and don't let a minority get under your skin. It's only the internet and some like flexing their cyber-muscles in compensation to their inability to do so in real life.

I always liked Hartley and he was my choice back when Jacques Martin was hired. Can't help but wonder where this franchise would be (instead of last in the East) had that decision been made back then.

You're only adding strong support to the Hartley candidature for the position in Montreal. He has won at every level and has a winning record even with the pathetic Atlanta Thrashers. He's a winner, plain and simple.

It's extremely easy to downplay any candidate brought forward, no matter who it is. Whether it pleases everyone or not, he is one of the top candidates (if not the best) for the job in Montreal.
Who has objected to Hartley? Not many. I support him also, and have said this to WS. Who's this gang who hates Hartley? Like one or two people?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
mikeysvette
Go Seadogs!

Since im at work I cant get to youtube, but can someone post the link to the vid of the Hartley-Brisebois arguement after that quebec match...shows some of Hartley's "grit"...

Old
05-22-2012, 10:27 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The Habs are the pulse of 8 million people, not just Montreal.
Give me a break. I was 16 when the Nords arrived in the NHL, and 4 million Quebecers forgot the Habs in 5 seconds.

5 million of those today would also switch allegiance to the Nords in 5 seconds. Montrealers, French and English and others, are and always have been Habs fans. Far more Quebecers loved the Aces when Gros Bill played for them than the Habs. Fair enough too.

Know your history before you spout off dangerous and incendiary cliches.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
We have to realize that Montreal is not Quebec, It's international. Roy is the Quebecqois Choice, bust as logical Montreal pepole, we are banded by the bilingual Crutch! It will cost us Stanley Cups , But apparently Language is more important than winning! Guess Hartley is the Guy, is he really good enough? Or is Carbo 2.0 better?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I know you don't like the man, you never wanted to even give him a chance, and that's all fine.
That's absolute BS. While I'll never deny not being a fan of Martin and his smothering system, I'm on record on this very forum saying, when he got hired, that he deserves to prove what he can do.

In my opinion (sorry if it goes against your "expertise"), he has failed and he was a key reason for the lack of success of this team today as he influenced the type of players are here now. Every head coach does. So yes, I'd be curious to see the type of players who would be in Montreal today had Hartley been hired back then.

Funny that you ignore the praise Hartley received from Kovalchuk and Roy.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Give me a break. I was 16 when the Nords arrived in the NHL, and 4 million Quebecers forgot the Habs in 5 seconds.

5 million of those today would also switch allegiance to the Nords in 5 seconds. Montrealers, French and English and others, are and always have been Habs fans. Far more Quebecers loved the Aces when Gros Bill played for them than the Habs. Fair enough too.

Know your history before you spout off dangerous and incendiary cliches.
and what if he wasnt talking about quebecers?
I dont see what got your panties in a bunch about his comment.

you're so naive to think that montreal, one of the most storied franchises in all of sports, only has fans in quebec?

open you're eyes just on these boards you have ppl from halifax to japan who are habs fans so i'm pretty sure we have a fan base of over 8 million without your 4 million.

Dont worry you're nords will be back eventually and you can take your 4 millions fans.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
We have to realize that Montreal is not Quebec, It's international. Roy is the Quebecqois Choice, bust as logical Montreal pepole, we are banded by the bilingual Crutch! It will cost us Stanley Cups , But apparently Language is more important than winning! Guess Hartley is the Guy, is he really good enough? Or is Carbo 2.0 better?
ya but is there anyone better available right now?
thats the problem bilangual or not, what other choices do we have.
Hartley would not be a bad choice even without the language issue though.
Say what you will about him, and personally i'm not that big of a fan, but the guy can win or atlest bring structure to this team.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
Say what you will about him, and personally i'm not that big of a fan, but the guy can win or atlest bring structure to this team.
Then why hasn't anyone hired him since the 2007-08 season which I wouldn't even count cause he got fired after 6 games to start the year?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

None of the above, thank you, although I admit I don't know enough about Mark Crawford.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
That's the bad thing... Not much is out there at the moment, if we took language out of the factor, we lost Muller... that's awful, we had the guy!

Old
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's the bad thing... Not much is out there at the moment, if we took language out of the factor, we lost Muller... that's awful, we had the guy!
agreed

Old
05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
habitue*

Quote:
We had Guy Boucher too...

... and we drafted Fischer instead of Giroux too...

So... time to turn the page !

Old
05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
agreed
No Doubt!

Old
05-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:

I also liked Guy! A McGill Product, we lost many...

Old
05-22-2012, 11:39 AM
MathMan

Quote:
That's too short sighted if you ask me. The team finished dead last in the East and in my opinion, Martin (and Gauthier by ricochet) were most responsible for that.
If Martin hadn't been fired, I am utterly convinced the Habs would have finished nowhere near last in the conference. I am in fact certain they would have made the playoffs.

Incidentally, they were nowhere near dead last when Martin was fired. It was "in-your-face", "hard-working", "big bodies banging down low" Randypuck hockey that got them there.

Quote:
A guy like Hartley preaches strong forecheck, in-your-face hockey and understands the need to protect your best players by surrounding them with tougher, grittier guys.
Disqualified, then. We need a real NHL-level puck-possession coach, not some dump-and-chase Randypuck guy with a junior hockey mentality.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Both scenarios you mentioned had nothing to do with language. Muller was a language issue, although I think there would be a better reception for him as he's a former hab and was an assistant coach for us.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If Martin hadn't been fired, I am utterly convinced the Habs would have finished nowhere near last in the conference. I am in fact certain they would have made the playoffs.
I'm not sure about making the playoffs but i'm very sure we would've competed. I still think Martin is best billingual coach available. Boring, but very hockey smart. Not saying to hire him though.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Martin would be a good fit in Washington. If they get rid of their offensive minded players like Green,Ovy,Semin. They could become a very competitive team

Old
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not sure about making the playoffs but i'm very sure we would've competed. I still think Martin is best billingual coach available. Boring, but very hockey smart. Not saying to hire him though.
If the Habs had had their usual finish on the PP, how many people would've thought the Habs "style" were boring? My thinking is, "not a lot", especially with media equating "goals for" with "exciting style".

Old
05-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Boring is what these playoffs have been anyways, if you want to win it looks like you will have no choice than to play boring hockey so might as well have a coach that is capable of having that boring style in place

Old
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Teufelsdreck

The coach has to deal with the available players. He can't send cruisers to slug it out with battleships, so they have to adapt. It's up to the GM to stock the team with hard-driving forwards. For example, the Habs should have chosen Kreider instead of Leblanc if the idea was to compete with the Rangers and Flyers.

Closed Thread