HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2012, 01:08 PM
  #926
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If the Habs had had their usual finish on the PP, how many people would've thought the Habs "style" were boring? My thinking is, "not a lot", especially with media equating "goals for" with "exciting style".
Tbh, I didn't mind Martin at all. I liked him. When I say boring I refer to other people's analysis of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Boring is what these playoffs have been anyways, if you want to win it looks like you will have no choice than to play boring hockey so might as well have a coach that is capable of having that boring style in place
Maybe a few tweaks. Strong forecheck a little more crash and bang would be entertaining given the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The coach has to deal with the available players. He can't send cruisers to slug it out with battleships, so they have to adapt. It's up to the GM to stock the team with hard-driving forwards. For example, the Habs should have chosen Kreider instead of Leblanc if the idea was to compete with the Rangers and Flyers.
I agree with you 100% on first part. If we're all small forwards, playing a hard nose hockey style won't work. However, in the case of leblanc vs kreider. Habs choose who they felt was BPA. So that competing with philly and all should have no bearing at the draft.

On another note for leblanc. Guy played what 5 leagues in 4 years? 6 in last 5. I mean, let's see how he can do when he's in same environment for over a year before we underestimate him. I don't wish to hype him, but I like his fundamentals. Good skater, smart and a high compete level. Will never be confused as a big time point producer but can be a solid 2nd/3rd line guy.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
  #927
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Wow!Habs fans in the US. Shock! Dude, there are huge habs fans across the world now, French and English. Some of us decided that Beaconsfield or Laval was not our only future...
You were either drunk/stoned when you read my post or you have a problem with reading comprehension. That was exactly my point.

onice is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 01:17 PM
  #928
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If Martin hadn't been fired, I am utterly convinced the Habs would have finished nowhere near last in the conference. I am in fact certain they would have made the playoffs.

Incidentally, they were nowhere near dead last when Martin was fired. It was "in-your-face", "hard-working", "big bodies banging down low" Randypuck hockey that got them there.

Disqualified, then. We need a real NHL-level puck-possession coach, not some dump-and-chase Randypuck guy with a junior hockey mentality.
Strongly disagreed on all points... but it was expected.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  #929
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,806
vCash: 500
I just realized something, is this the first time that Martin was EVER fired at the NHL level?

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
  #930
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
That's absolute BS. While I'll never deny not being a fan of Martin and his smothering system, I'm on record on this very forum saying, when he got hired, that he deserves to prove what he can do.

In my opinion (sorry if it goes against your "expertise"), he has failed and he was a key reason for the lack of success of this team today as he influenced the type of players are here now. Every head coach does. So yes, I'd be curious to see the type of players who would be in Montreal today had Hartley been hired back then.

Funny that you ignore the praise Hartley received from Kovalchuk and Roy.
Not surprisingly you can't tell the difference between actually being patient without bias and saying the coach with 1000+ NHL games of experience needs to prove to you what he can do.
As I said, you didn't like him from the start, and you weren't patient with him. But I don't really see the point in discussing this, so let's just say you indeed were.


I really don't know how people can still take you seriously after post like these ones. Seriously.

So, he influenced the type of players we had here, and that's why we finished last. Sure. Had nothing to do with putting a guy in place that actually had NO CLUE as to how to coach in the NHL, or at least, coach these guys.
Again, not surprisingly, you completely ignore the fact that after the weak start, we were back to playing for .500, and if you want to remove the nasty start we were 12-7-5 I believe. So, we'd likely have made the POs, or at the very least be in the run. But yea, no need to look at that. He is the reason why we finished last, when we played 50 games without him behind the bench. Absolutely right.


As for the Kovalchuk comment, I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious with the ''he definitely knows how to protect his stars'' comment. Guess it wasn't.
But I don't care about what certain players say about coaches, isn't there this old cliché that 10 guys will like the coach, 10 will be indifferent and 10 will hate him.

Hartley hasn't impressed me in the NHL, I said it numerous times. His comments on shows just made him look like an even bigger clown.

I also mentioned that perhaps time off helped him. I'm skeptical, but I believe there isn't too many coaches that have brought a team to the conference finals 4 years in a row, winning the cup one of those years, then gets fired and after a rather average stay in Atlanta, can't get a NHL job.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
  #931
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,805
vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I just realized something, is this the first time that Martin was EVER fired at the NHL level?
The sens fired him i think

donghabs98 is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
  #932
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
The sens fired him i think
Yeah, they did. My bad. I was talking about mid season firing. It was his first time. They fired him after the season was done, so I missed it.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 04:26 PM
  #933
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not surprisingly you can't tell the difference between actually being patient without bias and saying the coach with 1000+ NHL games of experience needs to prove to you what he can do.
As I said, you didn't like him from the start, and you weren't patient with him. But I don't really see the point in discussing this, so let's just say you indeed were.

I really don't know how people can still take you seriously after post like these ones. Seriously.

So, he influenced the type of players we had here, and that's why we finished last. Sure. Had nothing to do with putting a guy in place that actually had NO CLUE as to how to coach in the NHL, or at least, coach these guys.
Again, not surprisingly, you completely ignore the fact that after the weak start, we were back to playing for .500, and if you want to remove the nasty start we were 12-7-5 I believe. So, we'd likely have made the POs, or at the very least be in the run. But yea, no need to look at that. He is the reason why we finished last, when we played 50 games without him behind the bench. Absolutely right.

As for the Kovalchuk comment, I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious with the ''he definitely knows how to protect his stars'' comment. Guess it wasn't.
But I don't care about what certain players say about coaches, isn't there this old cliché that 10 guys will like the coach, 10 will be indifferent and 10 will hate him.

Hartley hasn't impressed me in the NHL, I said it numerous times. His comments on shows just made him look like an even bigger clown.

I also mentioned that perhaps time off helped him. I'm skeptical, but I believe there isn't too many coaches that have brought a team to the conference finals 4 years in a row, winning the cup one of those years, then gets fired and after a rather average stay in Atlanta, can't get a NHL job.
Allow me to reply to a few things in this post:
  1. You're coming back, once again, with the fact that I don't like Martin. Get over it, I've admitted to it from day one.
  2. I wasn't patient with him? How many years has he been at the helm? Am I supposed to give him 10 years?
  3. I'm not here for a popularity contest. That you (or someone else) takes me seriously or not is like water on the back of a duck. I've watched and played enough hockey to have the experience and capability to make my own mind on many topics surrounding this sport, and respect those who disagree. One day, you might reach that level in your own life.
  4. Show me all the stats you want about Martin, what has he won? Has the team gotten better under him than, let's say... Carbonneau? Aside from a spectacular playoffs' performance by Halak, Martin has done nothing to gain any respect while with the Habs.
  5. Again, the team that finished last in the East is composed of players who Martin wanted around. Heck, he didn't even like Subban and Cole, arguably the team's best two players with Price and Pacioretty.
  6. Continue downplaying Hartley all you want, he's won a championship in the QMJHL, in the AHL, in the NHL and in Switzerland. He also has a winning record with the pathetic Atlanta Thrashers and has reached the conference finals 3 more times. I'll take that kind of "terrible" well ahead of Jacques Martin's "success".
Now if you'll excuse me, there has to be some meaningful exchanges elsewhere on the board.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
  #934
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If Martin hadn't been fired, I am utterly convinced the Habs would have finished nowhere near last in the conference. I am in fact certain they would have made the playoffs.

Incidentally, they were nowhere near dead last when Martin was fired. It was "in-your-face", "hard-working", "big bodies banging down low" Randypuck hockey that got them there.
Really? I am not the least bit surprised by your opinion. Of course the fact that Martin had little success with the Habs (except in the case where Halak bailed him out) is conveniently forgotten.

You also conveniently overlooked the storm that accompanied Cunneyworth's hiring... you remember, the language issue became a total distraction followed by the mid-game trade of Cammalleri. Those are two issues that Martin never had to deal with and to ignore the effect that they may have had on the team is... well, it's convenient.

HCH is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
  #935
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Really? I am not the least bit surprised by your opinion. Of course the fact that Martin had little success with the Habs (except in the case where Halak bailed him out) is conveniently forgotten.
Except the 96-point season last year where the Habs were a very strong puck possession team and basically outplayed the Bruins during the playoffs, or the very strong 5-on-5 game they had at the beginning of the season, marred as it was by their PP finish problems.

Frankly, his 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 work is vastly superior to his 2009-2010 work, but then again he had a stronger roster to work with.

I do not, and would not, hold up 2009-2010 as an example of what Martin does well, as that team was actually getting crushed 5-on-5. I'm much more impressed with his more recent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You also conveniently overlooked the storm that accompanied Cunneyworth's hiring... you remember, the language issue became a total distraction followed by the mid-game trade of Cammalleri. Those are two issues that Martin never had to deal with and to ignore the effect that they may have had on the team is... well, it's convenient.
I don't forget it. I just consider it largely irrelevant. Basically, people who like Cunneyworth and/or the ineffective style he suggests offer it as a ready-made explanation of why it was a total failure. It's nothing more than narrative; if Cunneyworth had had good results, we'd have heard talk about how "the team rallied around their embattled coach" instead.

Sad thing is, the Habs actually worked their butts off for Cunneyworth, it's just that they were completely ineffectual because of the how.

Cunneyworth did not fail because of the language fracas or media distraction. He failed because his coaching, his tactics and personnel usage, were woefully inadequate.

If you give up puck possession all the time, you will suck. If you can't even recognize who your best players are or refuse to play them accordingly, you will suck. It took weeks for Cunneyworth to realize who his best tough-minutes forward and who his best D-man were, despite him having been there since the beginning of the season. He never stopped overplaying fourth-liners. And under him the team continually gave the puck away by chipping it out/dumping it in -- whether this was by design or not, there was no way this could be successful in the long term.

(Incidentally, Cammalleri was traded ostensibly for voicing complaints about Cunneyworth's coaching style -- complaints that were perfectly on the mark.)

MathMan is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
  #936
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Give me a break. I was 16 when the Nords arrived in the NHL, and 4 million Quebecers forgot the Habs in 5 seconds.
Yea we sure did not live in the same neighboorhood. It was always 50-50 in Quebec city.

Quote:
5 million of those today would also switch allegiance to the Nords in 5 seconds. Montrealers, French and English and others, are and always have been Habs fans. Far more Quebecers loved the Aces when Gros Bill played for them than the Habs. Fair enough too.
Yea they loved the Gros Bill, so what.

Quote:
Know your history before you spout off dangerous and incendiary cliches.
Incendiary? Seems to you're the one getting nuts over nothing. The Habs are this nation.

Plus, where are the Nordiques now? Your argument doesn't hold any water because it's all hypotetical.


Last edited by Kimota: 05-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Kimota is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
  #937
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
********
That may hurts an anglo like you to know this but people were listening and identifying with the Rocket all over the province. It's never been a Montreal-only affair. Check the history books.

Kimota is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
  #938
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That may hurts an anglo like you to know this but people were listening and identifying with the Rocket all over the province. It's never been a Montreal-only affair. Check the history books.
I am not an Anglo.

Born and raised in Montreal, mom is from France and speak French at my parents house. Studied my whole life in French including Medecine at Universite de Montreal. Keep judging though.

Now, child please, I read more history than you ever will. The Habs are not Quebec's team, close to half the population of the province would instantly change back to the Nordiques including possibly yourself judging from your history of posting in the Business of Hockey forum.

We are also not in ****ing 1938 where the Habs were created as the French team. Times change and the Habs have no longer been for a long time Quebec's team. They are Greater Montreal's team.

I also think its disrespectful that you think everyone that doesn't want this team to be based off language is an Anglo. Get a grip, we're in 2012.


Last edited by HH: 05-22-2012 at 07:15 PM.
HH is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
  #939
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Except the 96-point season last year
Ah yes.... that season where the team ranked 8th in goal differential in the conference and our goaltender ranked 5th in the league in save percentage among goaltenders who played more than 30 games. With average goaltending the Habs would have had far fewer points.

Just as Halak made Martin look more brilliant than he was during the 2010 playoffs, Price made him look more brilliant than he was during the 2010-11 season.


Quote:
I'm much more impressed with his more recent work.
I agree... he is a better scout than coach.


Quote:
I don't forget it. I just consider it largely irrelevant.
Maybe you do... but I am sure many others would have considered the situation distracting

Quote:
Cunneyworth did not fail because of the language fracas or media distraction. He failed because his coaching, his tactics and personnel usage, were woefully inadequate.
Opinion stated as fact... you are good.

Quote:

If you give up puck possession all the time, you will suck. If you can't even recognize who your best players are or refuse to play them accordingly, you will suck.
Are you referring to Martin's comments about doing his research on Cole and concluding that he was ineffective on the PP. Your selective memory is showing through.

HCH is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
  #940
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
I am not an Anglo.

Born and raised in Montreal, mom is from France and speak French at my parents house. Studied my whole life in French including Medecine at Universite de Montreal. Keep judging though.

Now, child please, I read more history than you ever will. The Habs are not Quebec's team, close to half the population of the province would instantly change back to the Nordiques including possibly yourself judging from your history of posting in the Business of Hockey forum.

We are also not in ****ing 1938 where the Habs were created as the French team. Times change and the Habs have no longer been for a long time Quebec's team. They are Greater Montreal's team.

I also think its disrespectful that you think everyone that doesn't want this team to be based off language is an Anglo. Get a grip, we're in 2012.
I would rather see this team lose with a Franco than win the Stanley Cup with an Anglo.

pine* is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:14 PM
  #941
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I would rather see this team lose with a Franco than win the Stanley Cup with an Anglo.
That's pathetic, fans like you bring shame upon the Habs organization and you get away with what is basically equatable to racism as well.

Go cheer for the Nordiques.

Pathetic

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  #942
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
That's pathetic, fans like you bring shame upon the Habs organization and you get away with what is basically equatable to racism as well.

Go cheer for the Nordiques.

Pathetic
He was being sarcastic, dude.

HH is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
  #943
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
He was being sarcastic, dude.
Well, my apologies to him if he was.

But there ARE people out there who actually believe that kind of crap, so my message stands for the likes of them.

But honestly if you were being sarcastic, apologies.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:40 PM
  #944
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
I am not an Anglo.

Born and raised in Montreal, mom is from France and speak French at my parents house. Studied my whole life in French including Medecine at Universite de Montreal. Keep judging though.

Now, child please, I read more history than you ever will. The Habs are not Quebec's team, close to half the population of the province would instantly change back to the Nordiques including possibly yourself judging from your history of posting in the Business of Hockey forum.

We are also not in ****ing 1938 where the Habs were created as the French team. Times change and the Habs have no longer been for a long time Quebec's team. They are Greater Montreal's team.

I also think its disrespectful that you think everyone that doesn't want this team to be based off language is an Anglo. Get a grip, we're in 2012.


I don't think fans throughout Quebec should be ignored. I also don't think fans in the Maritimes, Canada, or internationally should be ignored too. They too have been around for generations. But when the line has to be drawn, the Habs have always been the team of the Montreal area, not of the Quebec nation or whatever. Quebec is a unique place and the Habs are part of the cultural identity, but the Habs have been cosmopolitan since as long as hockey has been.

This is one reason I really wish the Nordiques would return. Not that it would take away the political issue, it won't, but it'll help us get rid of this idea that all of Quebec is some singular entity at odds with the rest of the world and the Canadiens have to put that first.

I don't expect the language issue to ever go away and that's not always a bad thing (the Habs should always appeal to both French and English fans in my opinion), and yes the majority of the fanbase will always be Francophone, but it would be nice for those obsessed with "Quebec's team" and Planet Quebec to have an alternative.

Et le But is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
  #945
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Allow me to reply to a few things in this post:


1-You're coming back, once again, with the fact that I don't like Martin. Get over it, I've admitted to it from day one.
I am over it, you're the one that likes to pretend to have actually given him a chance.
At least own up to being biased against him right from the start. It happens, no big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
2-I wasn't patient with him? How many years has he been at the helm? Am I supposed to give him 10 years?
How many years did Hartley coach in Atlanta? You seem perfectly content bringing up his winning record there.
Martin has coached here for less than 2 years and a half, he also has a winning record and he was at the helm of the team that went to the ECF, a first in more than 15years. Many believed he overachieved with a very average team. That became even clearer when RC took over and took this average team all the way down to 15th in the East.

But yea, you were really patient and unbiased. Of course. Keep telling yourself that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
3-I'm not here for a popularity contest. That you (or someone else) takes me seriously or not is like water on the back of a duck. I've watched and played enough hockey to have the experience and capability to make my own mind on many topics surrounding this sport, and respect those who disagree. One day, you might reach that level in your own life.
Clearly, you're not here for a popularity contest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
4-Show me all the stats you want about Martin, what has he won? Has the team gotten better under him than, let's say... Carbonneau? Aside from a spectacular playoffs' performance by Halak, Martin has done nothing to gain any respect while with the Habs.
Quite funny that you seem to praise yourself on so much knowledge and experience, but I guess you don't have enough of them to notice a difference between the way Carbo ''coached'', and Martin did. Looks like you still have plenty to learn.


Ruff hasn't one anything in the NHL. Neither has Trotz, or a multitude of other great coaches. It also happens that amazing players don't win. Meanwhile, Aaron Ward has like 4 rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
5-Again, the team that finished last in the East is composed of players who Martin wanted around. Heck, he didn't even like Subban and Cole, arguably the team's best two players with Price and Pacioretty.
He didn't like Subban or Cole?..Right. You so did not just take that straight out of your ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
6-Continue downplaying Hartley all you want, he's won a championship in the QMJHL, in the AHL, in the NHL and in Switzerland. He also has a winning record with the pathetic Atlanta Thrashers and has reached the conference finals 3 more times. I'll take that kind of "terrible" well ahead of Jacques Martin's "success".
I'm not downplaying him. There's a reason why he's in Switzerland, and hasn't coached in the NHL for 5years. It's not because he wanted out or retire. I know it's really hard to understand, but maybe, just maybe, he really isn't as great as you think.

As I originally brought up regarding all these candidates, I am not interested. It seems we're talking about who is the best of the mediocre clan. I rather go fish in the ''good-great'' pond. None of those guys fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Now if you'll excuse me, there has to be some meaningful exchanges elsewhere on the board.
I could respond with a similar childish remark, but I'll be the bigger man and restrain from it at this point.


Last edited by Kriss E: 05-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Kriss E is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 10:03 PM
  #946
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Ah yes.... that season where the team ranked 8th in goal differential in the conference and our goaltender ranked 5th in the league in save percentage among goaltenders who played more than 30 games. With average goaltending the Habs would have had far fewer points.
With average shooting percentage they would have had far more. The volatility of percentages works both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Maybe you do... but I am sure many others would have considered the situation distracting
This is new, but I think it should be required reading about "distractions": http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...ressing-rooms/

(Mind you everything Ellen Etchingham writes is worth reading!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Opinion stated as fact... you are good.
It was so awful it borders on fact. There isn't much rational justification for using players the way he did -- the way he used Eller, yanking him around like that, was especially perplexing.

And are you seriously going to argue against the notion that the Habs were systematically chipping it out and dump-and-chasing, and that this led to very low puck possession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Are you referring to Martin's comments about doing his research on Cole and concluding that he was ineffective on the PP. Your selective memory is showing through.
Here's the thing about Cole on the PP: Martin was correct. Over the last few years, Cole hadn't been terribly productive on the PP relative to his icetime... less than Darche, actually. I did not especially agree with the decision, but there were perfectly rational reasons for it.

He probably was also seeing that the PP was generating chances at the same pace as in previous years (when it was top-10) and knew it was a short-term slump it would eventually get out of.

Nobody noticed because virtually nobody was actually interested in doing the research, just in blasting Martin about it. *****ing about the Habs is the national sport, after all.

MathMan is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
  #947
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I am over it, you're the one that likes to pretend to have actually given him a chance.
At least own up to being biased against him right from the start. It happens, no big deal.
Nothing to confess. I gave him the time that I needed to determine what he could do. He did nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How many years did Hartley coach in Atlanta? You seem perfectly content bringing up his winning record there.
Martin has coached here for less than 2 years and a half, he also has a winning record and he was at the helm of the team that went to the ECF, a first in more than 15years. Many believed he overachieved with a very average team. That became even clearer when RC took over and took this average team all the way down to 15th in the East.

But yea, you were really patient and unbiased. Of course. Keep telling yourself that.
Ahem... Jaroslav Halak... Team outplayed in every series. Thank you Jaro. Martin owes you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Clearly, you're not here for a popularity contest.
Nope, and I'm certainly not ashamed to say it. Following like sheep? Not my forte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Quite funny that you seem to praise yourself on so much knowledge and experience, but I guess you don't have enough of them to notice a difference between the way Carbo ''coached'', and Martin did. Looks like you still have plenty to learn.

Ruff hasn't one anything in the NHL. Neither has Trotz, or a multitude of other great coaches. It also happens that amazing players don't win. Meanwhile, Aaron Ward has like 4 rings.
Once again, you're showing your vulnerability and lack of understanding. See, it's far from praising knowledge and experience, but rather justification for having an opinion which, as I've stated numerous times, isn't better nor worse than anyone else. You on the other hand, have often downplayed others' opinions and mistaken your own for facts. Using your style of debate (see Carbo winning the Eastern Conference vs Martin winning a couple of playoffs' rounds) doesn't seem to sit well with you. Funny isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He didn't like Subban or Cole?..Right. You so did not just take that straight out of your ass.
Do your homework. Rings a bell? He sat both Cole and Subban in spite of them being our best players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not downplaying him. There's a reason why he's in Switzerland, and hasn't coached in the NHL for 5years. It's not because he wanted out or retire. I know it's really hard to understand, but maybe, just maybe, he really isn't as great as you think.

As I originally brought up regarding all these candidates, I am not interested. It seems we're talking about who is the best of the mediocre clan. I rather go fish in the ''good-great'' pond. None of those guys fit.
His record, which you conveniently keep on avoiding, says otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I could respond with a similar childish remark, but I'll be the bigger man and restrain from it at this point.
Ironic considering your comment about the popularity contest. Hahaha!

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 10:49 PM
  #948
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Nothing to confess. I gave him the time that I needed to determine what he could do. He did nothing.
Sure you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Ahem... Jaroslav Halak... Team outplayed in every series. Thank you Jaro. Martin owes you.
Sakic, Forsberg, Tanguay, Bourque, Roy, Blake, Foote, Hejduk, Drury. No thanks. They owe Hartley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Once again, you're showing your vulnerability and lack of understanding. See, it's far from praising knowledge and experience, but rather justification for having an opinion which, as I've stated numerous times, isn't better nor worse than anyone else. You on the other hand, have often downplayed others' opinions and mistaken your own for facts. Using your style of debate (see Carbo winning the Eastern Conference vs Martin winning a couple of playoffs' rounds) doesn't seem to sit well with you. Funny isn't it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Do your homework. Rings a bell? He sat both Cole and Subban in spite of them being our best players.
So when you sit a player it means you don't like him?
I guess Hartley didn't like Kovalchuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
His record, which you conveniently keep on avoiding, says otherwise.
Yea, that must be why he's coaching in the Swiss league. His record is too good for the NHL. Must also be why he's been out of a job in the NHL for 5years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Ironic considering your comment about the popularity contest. Hahaha!
Nothing ironic at all, hence ''at this point'' at the end of the post.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  #949
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post


I don't think fans throughout Quebec should be ignored. I also don't think fans in the Maritimes, Canada, or internationally should be ignored too. They too have been around for generations. But when the line has to be drawn, the Habs have always been the team of the Montreal area, not of the Quebec nation or whatever. Quebec is a unique place and the Habs are part of the cultural identity, but the Habs have been cosmopolitan since as long as hockey has been.

This is one reason I really wish the Nordiques would return. Not that it would take away the political issue, it won't, but it'll help us get rid of this idea that all of Quebec is some singular entity at odds with the rest of the world and the Canadiens have to put that first.

I don't expect the language issue to ever go away and that's not always a bad thing (the Habs should always appeal to both French and English fans in my opinion), and yes the majority of the fanbase will always be Francophone, but it would be nice for those obsessed with "Quebec's team" and Planet Quebec to have an alternative.
If the Nords come back, the language thing will take an even bigger turn for the worst (for some anglos here), because the habs WILL play the language card to the max. It's all about winning the core market. That's what happened in the 80's.

If the Nords come back, the francophone identity will have to be even stronger. It's the nature of the beast.

In the 80's, the battle, the real one, was allllllll about the breweries. Today, it's allllllll about media content and media concentration. It will be Bell vs Quebecor. Not Habs vs Nords. That's accessory to the real competition. And in order to win the market, the team with the better identity will win it. And to win the market, you need to cater to the majority. Meaning having a francophone identity to the max. Geoff understands that.

deandebean is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 06:28 AM
  #950
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Do your homework. Rings a bell? He sat both Cole and Subban in spite of them being our best players.
i don't know about cole being benched, but when he sat subban, he was faaaaaaaar from being our best player. he was playing like a ADHD-afflicted mongoloid that had ran out of adderall. and by that i mean he deserved to be benched for playing like a tool.

just my little contribution to this ****fest. carry on

MasterDecoy is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.