HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great video interview with Trevor Timmins on RDS' frontpage

Old
05-21-2012, 10:22 AM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
Great video interview with Trevor Timmins on RDS' frontpage

Can't give you a link, but it's the third clip on the right on their frontpage.

www.rds.ca

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Can't give you a link, but it's the third clip on the right on their frontpage.

www.rds.ca
I'm at work and can't watch it, any good quotes/info?

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
LeMAD

"How does it feels Trevor to have the right to give interviews now?"

"No comment" (while laughing)

"Is it true that you cried when McDonagh was traded"

"Juste un peu"

He also said good things about McDonagh as a person.

He also feels that everyone has his own top-10 for the draft this year and that it will be exciting to see how it will unfold.

He's not against drafting Russians, and evaluate players individually. But at the end it's the GM that will judge if the risk of drafting a Russian is acceptable or not.

Of course he's happy about the development of our four prospects in the Memorial Cup.

It will be up to the player (our 1st round pick), by the way he will develop his body and his game this summer and during the training camp, to decide if he's gonna play in the NHL next year.

That pick could also be traded, it's not up to him.

Also said that their job is not to compare player to each other. So it's not important in exemple for a QMJHL scout take a look at WHL or OHL players as a comparison. Scouts' job is to project how a player will progress and what he will become at the NHL level.

Btw he looked dead tired at the end of the interview.

Last edited by LeMAD: 05-21-2012 at 10:52 AM.
LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
hockeyfan2k11

The first question and reaction was priceless. Timmins said so much without even saying a word.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

will be nice to hear Timmins thoughts after the draft again, never understood why they made him stop as I don't see why you wouldn't want your fans to get the lowdown on the newly drafted prospects.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Very professional, glad to hear all answers.

"Who's gonna go number 1, nobody knows"... hehehe #3 Yakupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
will be nice to hear Timmins thoughts after the draft again, never understood why they made him stop as I don't see why you wouldn't want your fans to get the lowdown on the newly drafted prospects.
Shield him from controversy? Trevor's answers in this interview all seem more composed than what I've heard in some previous post draft interview. Trying to manipulate fans' expectations shouldn't be his job.

Last edited by vokiel: 05-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.
vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Very professional, glad to hear all answers.

"Who's gonna go number 1, nobody knows"... hehehe #3 Yakupov

Shield him from controversy? Trevor's answers in this interview all seem more composed than what I've heard in some previous post draft interview. Trying to manipulate fans' expectations shouldn't be his job.
Not impossible !

Actually that might be good for the kids' ego. He really thinks that he DESERVES to be #1.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Belso

I really like Timmins. I really hate Gauthier...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Clumsyhab

Stephane Leroux said that Timmins really likes Teuvo Teravainen so don't be surprised if Habs trade down to get him.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Stephane Leroux said that Timmins really likes Teuvo Teravainen so don't be surprised if Habs trade down to get him.
He probably likes a lot of the players there. Doesn't mean he will trade down.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Stradale

Speaking of Timmins. I always saw him as a "small" guy.. but man is he ripped.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:59 AM
tinyzombies

We need to listen to this man. He would have averted all of the disasters we have seen: drafting AK, trading McDonagh. Give Timmins the ball at the draft table for a couple years. He's always right.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He lost me at we tried to draft more french.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:35 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Speaking of Timmins. I always saw him as a "small" guy.. but man is he ripped.
The famous pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
We need to listen to this man. He would have averted all of the disasters we have seen: drafting AK, trading McDonagh. Give Timmins the ball at the draft table for a couple years. He's always right.
He needs to do some intensive french course...don't care what anyone says, he's a future GM and I hope it's with us.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:36 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He needs to do some intensive french course...don't care what anyone says, he's a future GM and I hope it's with us.
From what I've read about him, I agree. I like his types of players. I don't like it when we ignore what he says. It usually fails.

Also, he better work those calves or his legs will snap off@!

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
This guy should train our players during summer......man we're going to have the toughest and biggest team in the league

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
MathMan

Quote:
He better be damned sure about him then. Trading down from such a high pick rarely pans out, especially since the asset you get in such a trade (typically a second-round pick) rarely is worth much.

With who's likely to be on the board at 3, I don't see trading down making sense. Packaging seconds for another first, though...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He better be damned sure about him then. Trading down from such a high pick rarely pans out, especially since the asset you get in such a trade (typically a second-round pick) rarely is worth much.

With who's likely to be on the board at 3, I don't see trading down making sense. Packaging seconds for another first, though...
MM, I agree with you in principle. I'd hate to see us trade down whenever we have a pick in the top 10-15. But with Teravainen, I think the Habs could actually justify picking him at #3 without trading down. He's a classic late riser (not a bad thing, IMO, just means he's on a good development curve). I don't think it's crazy to think the Isles or Leafs might pick him if he doesn't go at #3.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
onice

Quote:

You should listen to what he tells Leroux. He says in this draft nothing is for sure. One team may have one set of players in their top 10, another team will have a completely different set. Everything is up in the air.

So I doubt very much that someone who sees this draft in that light will advise his GM to trade down and go for player X.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
MM, I agree with you in principle. I'd hate to see us trade down whenever we have a pick in the top 10-15. But with Teravainen, I think the Habs could actually justify picking him at #3 without trading down. He's a classic late riser (not a bad thing, IMO, just means he's on a good development curve). I don't think it's crazy to think the Isles or Leafs might pick him if he doesn't go at #3.
Is he really better than one of Yakupov, Grigorenko, or Galchenyuk though?

It is a bad idea in general. It may not be in this specific case. But like I said, better be damned sure.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Habsfan18

It could be possible that I'm looking way too much into this, but 2 things of note (this is for the 1 on 1 interview):

- I can understand only a little bit of french, so I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that through the translations Stephane Leroux was putting words into Trevor's mouth. I thought I heard him mention the fact that guys like Grigorenko & Teravainen are possibilities when Timmins surely didn't actually come out and say that. I noticed Timmins sort of smiled (or maybe an eye roll?) when Leroux mentioned Teravainen when he was doing the translation.

- Also, Timmins seemed a little annoyed when Leroux brought up the french question at the end, and with good reason in my personal opinion.

But I may be just looking into it too much.

05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Is he really better than one of Yakupov, Grigorenko, or Galchenyuk though?

It is a bad idea in general. It may not be in this specific case. But like I said, better be damned sure.
Well I'm in the minority (of fans anyway) that thinks that Galchenyuk's reputation is overblown, that his legend has grown because of his lost season. In fact, we have very limited information about him. I don't see him as a top 5 pick.

Yakupov is awesome. I really hope we can make a move and pick him up, but I'm trying not to get too excited!

Grigorenko is... complicated. How much did his ankle injury and mono contribute to his disappointing second half and playoffs? There's also another rumour about him that was posted on these boards, that I feel bad repeating... anyway, I trust Timmins and company to make the right call on him. If we take him, I'll have faith that the scouts did their homework, and be happy that we ended up with a top talent.

I like Forsberg's and Teravainen's late birthdays, their adjustment to men's leagues and lack of question marks. Teravainen being projected as a center might be a factor.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It could be possible that I'm looking way too much into this, but 2 things of note (this is for the 1 on 1 interview):

- I can understand only a little bit of french, so I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that through the translations Stephane Leroux was putting words into Trevor's mouth. I thought I heard him mention the fact that guys like Grigorenko & Teravainen are possibilities when Timmins surely didn't actually come out and say that. I noticed Timmins sort of smiled (or maybe an eye roll?) when Leroux mentioned Teravainen when he was doing the translation.

- Also, Timmins seemed a little annoyed when Leroux brought up the french question at the end, and with good reason in my personal opinion.

But I may be just looking into it too much.
1) I noticed too, and I think Timmins realized as well. He seemed to be following Stephane's words and trying to keep up and track the translation. That being said, Timmins didn't say much so in saying top prospects are possibilities isn't really putting words in his mouth. I guess it depends on the context. If it's a matter of "they are on our radar" type of possibility, then yes, he never said that. If it's a "anything's possible" type, then...not much to be said.

2) I don't think Timmins was annoyed. I think he seemed more searching for the correct words to ssay without offending anyone. He said what he always has been saying, Quebec players are a priority and he added that he'd welcome any extra help.

Timmins is a very smart man who seems to understand the pressures of such a situation. I don't think it upsets him. I don't think he'd give into the pressure of forcing a quebec player into the draft mix but he understands the situation and I'm sure he was expecting it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He is smart as he is saying what the journalist wants to hear.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
1) I noticed too, and I think Timmins realized as well. He seemed to be following Stephane's words and trying to keep up and track the translation. That being said, Timmins didn't say much so in saying top prospects are possibilities isn't really putting words in his mouth. I guess it depends on the context. If it's a matter of "they are on our radar" type of possibility, then yes, he never said that. If it's a "anything's possible" type, then...not much to be said.

2) I don't think Timmins was annoyed. I think he seemed more searching for the correct words to ssay without offending anyone. He said what he always has been saying, Quebec players are a priority and he added that he'd welcome any extra help.

Timmins is a very smart man who seems to understand the pressures of such a situation. I don't think it upsets him. I don't think he'd give into the pressure of forcing a quebec player into the draft mix but he understands the situation and I'm sure he was expecting it.
It may also be a bit insulting to hear someone imply that you haven't been doing your job right. When you're a talent scout, someone insinuating that you haven't been doing your due diligence one way or the other is kind of rude.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote