Notices

2012 Offseason Thread II: The Offseasoning

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Before last season, Larsen was the only prospect who had any value. He was the best candidate to make the team better then in a trade. In hindsight that would have been a huge mistake, but nobody thought Larsen was going to end the season as a major contributor in Dallas.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

I am really surprised by all of the Souray>Robidas going on here. Souray took a bunch of dumb penalties, contributed nothing with his shot after the first few weeks of the season, and missed multiple games because of injury. Robidas is overused, but I expect him to contribute more to next year's team than Souray would if they bring him back.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Before last season, Larsen was the only prospect who had any value. He was the best candidate to make the team better then in a trade. In hindsight that would have been a huge mistake, but nobody thought Larsen was going to end the season as a major contributor in Dallas.
It was a poor idea last season too because he was a prospect with high value. At the beginning of last season, teams without owners or any money don't trade their best prospects when they are the only hope of them getting a value (Entry-level contract) solid contributor (see Jamie Benn). Having proven nothing at the NHL level at that time, it was unrealistic he was landing a big prize player (one Dallas couldn't afford anyway at the time). So if that suggestion was made it was a pretty poor one.

Now with an owner ... it's the exact type of move Gaglardi and GMJN have talked about not doing. They're building primarily through the draft and development of prospects. The head of their scouting department has been raving about Larsen since they drafted him even comparing him to Brain Rafalski. They aren't moving a guy like that without seeing if he can reach his potential or in the off chance he's a piece of a trade for a number 1 (even then I think it'd still be a little doubtful unless it's later in the year and Nemeth has forced is way into the NHL).

Old
05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
DBD is pretty weird at times. Even before last season there was a pretty big Larsen as trade bait idea floating around there so it wouldn't shock me if many of them think Larsen can be pushed out of a job or just wont be around.
DBD also has a hardon for Souray and Robidas. I was actually surprised to see them that impartial about moving on from him.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

My problem with making Loui captain is you're asking a guy to do things that I believe are outside of his comfort zone. He's not a rah rah kind of guy. He's not overly vocal. He doesn't seem the lockerroom cheerleader type. All in all he's not the type for this and asking him to contribute even more to this club in a manner that he's not overly familiar or sure of seems counter-productive. Let Loui be Loui, because that guy is a very good hockey player. Asking him to do something else may mess with his mind or put pressure on him that effects him in negative ways.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I personally want both Robidas and Sourey gone. I'd rather roll with the kids and give equal minutes seeing who steps up in what situation than retread the wheel spoke with our previously balding tires.

At that point with two spots open a guy like Klein, Meszaros, or whomever is on the outs with their current club is a better bet than those two on our roster.

Can we go back to my point for just a minute. Obviously it's pure speculation but what does everyone think is an acceptable price Niewendyk and company will take for Robidas? At best are we looking at a guy like Pirri and a 2nd/3rd from Chicago? Would that be enough? Could you pry a kid like Robak out of Florida? They've wanted NHL ready talent but I can't imagine there are a lot of teams who will give up a younger guy for Robidas unless that guy doesn't fit their timeline, ie he's a 1-3 years away. Unless Gagliardi has turned Joe's stance on immediate help trading him seems like a long shot at best.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I personally want both Robidas and Sourey gone. I'd rather roll with the kids and give equal minutes seeing who steps up in what situation than retread the wheel spoke with our previously balding tires.

At that point with two spots open a guy like Klein, Meszaros, or whomever is on the outs with their current club is a better bet than those two on our roster.

Can we go back to my point for just a minute. Obviously it's pure speculation but what does everyone think is an acceptable price Niewendyk and company will take for Robidas? At best are we looking at a guy like Pirri and a 2nd/3rd from Chicago? Would that be enough? Could you pry a kid like Robak out of Florida? They've wanted NHL ready talent but I can't imagine there are a lot of teams who will give up a younger guy for Robidas unless that guy doesn't fit their timeline, ie he's a 1-3 years away. Unless Gagliardi has turned Joe's stance on immediate help trading him seems like a long shot at best.
Did somebody offer Pirri and a 2nd/3rd? I take Pirri straight up for Robidas.

As far as FLA, I don't think he waives for them, and I don't think they need him unless Garrison leaves, in which case I wouldn't mind seeing his UFA rights come back.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Did somebody offer Pirri and a 2nd/3rd? I take Pirri straight up for Robidas.

As far as FLA, I don't think he waives for them, and I don't think they need him unless Garrison leaves, in which case I wouldn't mind seeing his UFA rights come back.
Pirri and a 2nd for Ribeiro... If I remember correctly, it was something like Frolik, Pirri, 1st for Ribeiro and Robidas.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
My problem with making Loui captain is you're asking a guy to do things that I believe are outside of his comfort zone. He's not a rah rah kind of guy. He's not overly vocal. He doesn't seem the lockerroom cheerleader type. All in all he's not the type for this and asking him to contribute even more to this club in a manner that he's not overly familiar or sure of seems counter-productive. Let Loui be Loui, because that guy is a very good hockey player. Asking him to do something else may mess with his mind or put pressure on him that effects him in negative ways.
Agree with this 100%

Old
05-22-2012, 12:39 PM
BigG44

I thought this might be an interesting exercise. Of potential trade targets (I'm going to stick to guys with higher salaries on teams that could be in cap trouble + 3 years or less on contract), unrestricted free agents, Robidas, and Dallas prospects …. what is your Top 10 or 15 to fill Dallas' final 3 spots (Assumption: Goligoski, Daley, and Larsen in Top 6, Pardy #7). For my list, I'm taking in what you have to give up to land them into consideration (i.e. Souray just re-signing vs. trading picks to acquire a D).

1) Ryan Suter (I don't count on him coming to Dallas, but I think they'll pursue him heavily).
2) Justin Schultz (Same for Suter)
3) Brenden Dillon (costs no assets, and he seems ready)
4) Mark Fistric (Costs no assets, Team needs physical D, cheaper than UFAs, development curve is still moving up)
5) Andrej Meszaros (Could see him being a cap dump so Phili came make a splash elsewhere or even re-sign Carle. Assets should cost a ton, but he's due big money - $10.75 million over two years with a smaller cap hit of $4 million.)
6) Jay Bouwmeester (Big, mobile defenders with excellent defensive player make you better. Major draw back will be potential asset cost in trade.)
7) Jordan Leopold (Big cap problems, over spent last year, and probably the easiest of their assets to move. However, he was also an excellent player they'd probably want to hold on to. How much does it cost to make a deal?)
8) Filip Kuba (Over 35 years old so you can get him short. Better option than Souray, IMO)
9) Hal Gill (See Kuba)
10) Sheldon Souray
11) Bryce Salvador (Over 35 years old so you can get him short.)
12) Zbynek Michalek (Cap issues, key players to re-sign over the next several years)
13) Michal Roszival (Can you get him to take only 2 years? Steady not great. Mobile but not physical)
14) Paul Martin (See Michalek. Probably cheaper to acquire)
15) Keith Ballard (Cap issues. Firmly behind the Pens D IMO)
16) Cory Sarich (Physical, right shot. Can you get him to take only 2 years?)
17) Stephae Robidas (I don't have an issue personally with the guy, but Gaglardi is right to suggest the old leadership could be the problem.)
18) Jeff Schultz (Reclamation. Woywitka/Pardy Risk)

Old
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
BigG44

Quote:

Chicago needs a Top 6 center. It would be silly for them to trade their best option for a Top 6 center next season (Pirri) without one coming back.

You'd hope by now Bowman realized Kane at center doesn't work. Unless they just want to keep plugging away, they need Pirri to step in because I don't see McNeill making the jump next year. That said, Chicago loves to rush guys so who knows? Kruger and Shaw might be options too, but Pirri sure seems like a smart option to play with Kane.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
My problem with making Loui captain is you're asking a guy to do things that I believe are outside of his comfort zone. He's not a rah rah kind of guy. He's not overly vocal. He doesn't seem the lockerroom cheerleader type.
Neither is Morrow...

Nieuwendyk:
I thought Loui Eriksson made tremendous strides this year. Iíve felt in the past couple of seasons that maybe he got a little tired at the end of seasons, but this year, he maintained his weight, and for me, took a real leadership role and really wanted to make a difference.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I'm not opposed to Loui being captain. I'm just a little leery but that's me being cautious about doing anything that could negatively effect one of the Stars' best players.

Robidas comes down to the future vs. now. So far they've chosen now with less than stellar results. Is that going to continue? They want to make the playoffs but if you believe in Dillon and/or Benn making a better hockey trade that takes longer to produce results is the more difficult but ultimately more rewarding choice.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Satan
why did she go

vCash: 50
Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars

READ: Free agent to be Sheldon Souray prefers to stay in Dallas http://*******/JRm8G3Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars

Meh.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
BeaverSports

For what it's worth, by all accounts Daley was a terrific captain in junior with Sault Ste. Marie.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
I don't see the upside here. Who's taking Robidas? Paying him 3.3 million to be a bottom pair guy with a roll back on the salary cap seems unlikely. Especially when a team has to pay for the pleasure. Make no mistake I want him gone but he's probably the hardest to move.
Perhaps a swap of players with big contracts their teams don't want anymore? Preferably Robidas for another team's forward that has a huge contract if they have trouble finding someone in free agency (or done regardless of free agency). Maybe a few low picks or middling prospects on each side to balance it out, but each team would be taking on a reclamation project with a huge salary for a year.

That sounds like the type of trades Lites and Gaglardi has talked about recently in the transcript that BigG44 posted the other day.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I don't mind all this talk about captaincy, but we aren't in the locker rooms. While we have a good idea, we don't know who says what when it matters. And that's the biggest part of leadership, IMO.

I'll take Robidas over Souray any day. Robidas always seems to give it his all (even if that may not be very good), does seem to be a quality leader, and can actually play somewhat decent defense. All Souray's really got on him is his shot, I can't think of much else.

His contract is up after this year anyway. Just let him walk, or get some minor assets for him at the deadline if we're out of it.

Goligoski, Larsen, and Daley are locks for our defensemen next year. I'll be quite surprised if Fistric isn't back. That leaves two spots for Souray, Robidas, Dillon, Benn, and maybe Nemeth to compete for, as well as anyone we acquire through FA or trade. Dillon should get one spot unless he has a horrid TC, which seems doubtful. And Souray/Robidas are too expensive to keep on as a 7th defenseman. Nemeth and Benn should both be in the AHL.

Keeping them both is asking for a disaster. And I'd much rather let Souray walk than try and trade Robidas.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'll take Robidas over Souray any day. Robidas always seems to give it his all (even if that may not be very good), does seem to be a quality leader, and can actually play somewhat decent defense. All Souray's really got on him is his shot, I can't think of much else.
Souray is the better defender of the two. I feel like I've gotten too used to what Robidas' sad face looks like having seen it so often after him having been beaten.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Latvian Twist,

Robidas has two more seasons. Not just this one remaining so trading him is a bit harder. Now if a team like Pittsburgh wanted to get rid of him for Milachek sign me up but I doubt that's a deal that Pitts would ever consider.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Souray is the better defender of the two. I feel like I've gotten too used to what Robidas' sad face looks like having seen it so often after him having been beaten.
Maybe we were watching different players then, but I remember Souray being horrific in his own zone. I'm not saying Robidas was good, but he was better than Souray most of the time. To me, at least.

Quote:
Latvian Twist,

Robidas has two more seasons. Not just this one remaining so trading him is a bit harder. Now if a team like Pittsburgh wanted to get rid of him for Milachek sign me up but I doubt that's a deal that Pitts would ever consider.
Oh, I always thought he came off the books with Morrow and Ribeiro.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Well damn, thought Robidas only had one more season. But the idea still stands that you could probably swap him for another players high-priced play they are getting tired of. Unfortunately the list of other players with two years remaining compiled a while back looks even worse than of players with one year remaining.

This trade wouldn't get back a quality player, but an overpayed player that would need a change of scenary/be a reclamation project. Going off the lists from the old thread maybe Stajan, Steen, Gionta, Lombardi, Hamrlik, or Jeff Schultz. There are two more names I could have added, but didn't want to for fear of the reaction.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Well damn, thought Robidas only had one more season. But the idea still stands that you could probably swap him for another players high-priced play they are getting tired of. Unfortunately the list of other players with two years remaining compiled a while back looks even worse than of players with one year remaining.

This trade wouldn't get back a quality player, but an overpayed player that would need a change of scenary/be a reclamation project. Going off the lists from the old thread maybe Stajan, Steen, Gionta, Lombardi, Hamrlik, or Jeff Schultz. There are two more names I could have added, but didn't want to for fear of the reaction.
Steen was really good in St Louis this year... But lombardi or stajan would be good depth acwuisitions

Old
05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

I'd rather keep Souray over Robidas. Robidas wants to win a cup and that won't happen in Dallas for awhile.

I think Joe needs to shop him around to a contender and see what he can get in return.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
A good number of people thought it was only a matter of time with Larsen. It was talked about quite a bit around here and given the composition of the defense corps it actually seemed pretty likely that he very well could end the season as one of the better defensemen on the team.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Medium Rare*

Any rumors on what Burish might be asking during free agency? Can he play center? or is he just a winger that can take draws?

Closed Thread