HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4 vs. Devils

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2012, 10:00 AM
  #301
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Its a 6 or 7 game series. That was the expectation heading into the series. So its 2-2. The Rangers have to protect home ice. They better efforts from everyone. The first goal was a soft goal. Puck hit off Stralman's skate. Should have had it. DZ made two bad plays resulting in the 2nd goal. Hagelin hit the post when it was 1-0. The Rangers have gotten nothing out of Richards and he was solid in the Caps series. Its his time. The Rangers paid him $12M for these situations. He gets another $8M in July. $12M next season. $8M of the $12M for 12-13 is paid in July 2012.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:09 AM
  #302
Thunderhead
Registered User
 
Thunderhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
just watched tortorella presser. what was the popcorn remark on stan's first question ?

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
  #303
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,900
vCash: 500
The two things that keeps me positive about this series are the teams ability to bounce back and Henrik Lundqvist otherwise i would have serious doubts on whether this team can beat the Devils. I am not saying the Devils are anything special but we just dont seem to have the ability to get any sustained pressure in the Devils zone and that goes back to what i posted last night about Marty constantly playing the puck making it easy for the Devils dmen to move the puck out the zone.

I am sure everyone noticed it but did we ever win a faceoff in our own zone while on the PK? Every Devils PP they won the faceoff, got time to set up and just dominated us. It was rough viewing last night and i can only hope its a kick up the arse they need to take game 5. I would love to ask Torts why we as a team refuse to throw pucks on net and get traffic in front of Brodeur. We just refuse to make things difficult for Marty, The thing is everytime we have done it not just against the Devils but against Ottawa and Washington we have had success.

If i was to be brutally honest the Devils deserve to be leading this series as we have failed to put in a consistent effort. A period here and there isn't good enough. A positive is that we always seem to bounce back when have a stinker like we did last night so i expect much better tomorrow.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  #304
rvdnsx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
If DZ's grandmother did pass, he should mourn and give his all if his mindset is to play out the season in her memory. Grandma is proud of you regardless, but win this series and the Cup for her!

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  #305
RUSF18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
I am sure everyone noticed it but did we ever win a faceoff in our own zone while on the PK?
I agree with the rest of your post virtually word for word but just to piggyback on this...how about just winning a faceoff after they've iced the puck? One of the few real advantages you get in hockey and sure feels like we're losing 80% of them. They win it, bring the puck out of the zone fairly effortlessly, and dump it down to get the tired guys off the ice.

RUSF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:27 AM
  #306
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
I'm totally at a loss for words after that game... Ugh. We're lucky to be tied 2-2 at this point. It could easily be 3-1 or we could be done. For that, I'll take it. But I'm disappointed nonetheless. I'd like to think that we could still win the whole thing, but my eternal optimism is starting to wain. I was down during the Ottawa series, but felt confident for most of the Washington series. This time, I don't like it... I just have a terrible terrible feeling.

I thought Hags, Kreider, and Gaborik had good games. Hank looked good, would love the first goal back but he never saw it. The 2nd was a 2 on 1 break that is tough to stop under the best circumstances and a PPG where nobody cleared the front of the net. I still have faith that with him in the crease, we can win 2 of 3.

Somebody please give me reasons to keep being optimistic. I'm running out. I want to believe so bad, but this is a terrible week for me personally and right now I'm hurting. Somebody out there has to have something that I can grab a hold of....

#Believe. Let's Go Rangers!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
  #307
toastbag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
I'm extremely worried!!! Yes this is the exact situation the Rangers have been in every round, the only difference is in this round the Rangers have been absolutely dominated so far. This series could easily either be 3-1 Devils or could even be over. The Rangers have to play from the opening faceoff tomorrow with the intensity of a do or die game, something they have not done much during these playoffs. My concern is that the two 7 game series (not to mention the 3OT game against Washington) are really starting to wear on this team. They've played hard every time they've "needed to" so far and I sure hope they do the same tomorrow.


Last edited by toastbag: 05-22-2012 at 11:20 AM.
toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
  #308
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 500
im not worried...im pissed the hell off.

I dont care if the Rangers win or lose. All ive ever asked for is a good solid effort. Ive had it for the vast majority of the year...these last 4 games have been absolutely GUTLESS.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:22 PM
  #309
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
im not worried...im pissed the hell off.

I dont care if the Rangers win or lose. All ive ever asked for is a good solid effort. Ive had it for the vast majority of the year...these last 4 games have been absolutely GUTLESS.
Most of these playoffs have been, aside from the rare game here and there.

Glad I was at a bar shooting the **** with a bunch of kids from home who I hadn't seen since winter break, or I would have been livid.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
  #310
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Its a 6 or 7 game series. That was the expectation heading into the series. So its 2-2. The Rangers have to protect home ice. They better efforts from everyone. The first goal was a soft goal. Puck hit off Stralman's skate. Should have had it. DZ made two bad plays resulting in the 2nd goal. Hagelin hit the post when it was 1-0. The Rangers have gotten nothing out of Richards and he was solid in the Caps series. Its his time. The Rangers paid him $12M for these situations. He gets another $8M in July. $12M next season. $8M of the $12M for 12-13 is paid in July 2012.
Agree with everything. 3rd goal was also iffy. Our 1st line is less than theirs, although it is more than twice in contract $$$. It is muted.

I disagree with some posters here regarding lack of effort. It is not true. Rangers look tired. Team has no depth. No wonder they can dominate for 10 min only. Torts has been outplayed by his opponent as well. You cannot blame misguided tired team for being out of gas.


Last edited by 94now: 05-22-2012 at 12:48 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:46 PM
  #311
HagsSwag
Registered User
 
HagsSwag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverbAndDelay View Post
What a season thus far.

Last night, as I stood there cursing at my television, I was reminded of something; What a season thus far!

I remember at the beginning of this season having expectations for this team. I saw a young group of promising players, whom if given the chance to grow as players, could eventually become a powerhouse in the NHL. I wanted them to do well, naturally. I wanted them to make the play offs, I mean REALLY make the play offs, not just eek in at the last minute. I wanted to see them form an identity. I wanted to see players playing for each other and the name on the front of that sweater and not the name on the back. I wanted to see a team that would do what it takes to win.

So here we are now, tied 2-2 with the Devils in the east coast finals. There I was, literally standing, cursing at my television, when it dawned on me. Isn't this enough?

We all want our teams to be Stanley Cup champions. However, even if we get knocked out by the devils, I've come to believe that in some ways, it might be an even more valuable lesson for this team than getting to the finals, or even winning the cup.

I see it on here constantly. No one here, including myself, wants another "one and done" team. We want a team that can contend year in and year out for the foreseeable future. Sure I'd like to see some pieces shifted about on this team. I see players who don't fit what is trying to be done here, and I can see players in the NHL who would fit right in and make us better. However, the fact that this team, who by all rights should not have done as well as they did the season, did in fact play so well...well I just can't help but feel content with whatever comes out of all of this.

So from here on out, I'm not going to stand there cursing at my television any more. Instead, I'm going to cheer them on, and when mistakes are made, I'm going to chalk it up to another lesson. One more lesson that in the long run will make each player on this team better because it will expand their knowledge of what it takes to be an elite team. If we win this series and go on to play for the Stanley Cup, great. Wonderful. Tremendous! If not, I can certainly leave this season behind knowing the start of something really special has truly begun.
Well said. I have adopted this philosophy as well. It hurts when the Devs score or win but it is very temporary and I remember the bigger picture.

HagsSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:48 PM
  #312
jmb9191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
We just look stale, confused, uninspired. But we won game 1 and game 3 somehow. So that tells us we can beat this team. The rangers need to make adjustments. What is happening now isn't working. Stepan, hags, gaborik, Richards, the entire bottom two lines, Callahan... Basically everyone outside of kreider and defenseman aren't scoring. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that we won't win like this.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:51 PM
  #313
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
Let's not forget. Remove the first period and the Rangers didn't look too bad. Remove the first period and it's 1-1 (sure the Devils sat back more in the 3rd). However, even though the Rangers were outplayed and looked sloppy, the 2nd and 3rd were much more even than everyone is making it out.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:01 PM
  #314
jmb9191
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Let's not forget. Remove the first period and the Rangers didn't look too bad. Remove the first period and it's 1-1 (sure the Devils sat back more in the 3rd). However, even though the Rangers were outplayed and looked sloppy, the 2nd and 3rd were much more even than everyone is making it out.
yes. 3rd became irrelevant after that 3rd goal. Rangers played well in second. Bad bounce, dz turns over and stops skating, bang 2-0 behind. But turned it on. SOMEONE BESIDES GIRARDI AND KREIDER NEEDS TO SXORE OR WE WON'T WIN but you already knew that

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:16 PM
  #315
RangerFan09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Let's not forget. Remove the first period and the Rangers didn't look too bad. Remove the first period and it's 1-1 (sure the Devils sat back more in the 3rd). However, even though the Rangers were outplayed and looked sloppy, the 2nd and 3rd were much more even than everyone is making it out.
I don't agree the rangers looked bad in only the 1st, and I think the only reason the 2nd MAY have looked halfway even was because the Devils didn't look good at all in the 2nd. The fact is the Rangers only started to look like the first place team we are was 15 minutes into the third. We didn't even play 20 good minutes, we played 5.

The only thing we can do, is move on forget about it, get ready for Game 5. Prust back should add a jump, and maybe even Dubinksy back to help the tired legs on the PK.

RangerFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
  #316
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't know what Hank has to do with the offense. As I said, should have been 1-1. That's OT. That's what should have been. It's too bad this team's offense sucks so much that they need a mistake free game from Lundqvist every game to have a chance to win.

And whats sad is you expect this EVERY game from him. It's old.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:26 PM
  #317
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,352
vCash: 500
Seems to be a new excuse for some fans to find a reason to complain every series.

Against Ottawa it was that this team was overachieving all year and that they would fail the first chance they got. Against Washington it was that we couldn't get the monkey off our back. This series is that we're too tired and out of gas to compete.

There is clearly a pattern that is happening - the Rangers are not an opportunistic team, they were not the entire year, there is no reason to believe they will suddenly become one and put a team away when they're up.

I won't deny we have looked flat in every one of the four games, however, the way this series has gone has been on momentum swings. Devils score a lucky goal they gain massive momentum. We score a lucky goal we gain massive momentum. That's how this series has gone and how it will likely continue. We look flat because we haven't been scoring in the first period, the same problem was happening all of last year.

We're a grind it out team. We're battle tested and have proven to come up in big games. Stop jumping off the Verrazano because of a couple of bad games.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:37 PM
  #318
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
None of our other players that we have a) play as important of a position as him and b) are the best in the world at what they do. But yeah the offense and defense was horrendous I've mentioned that the whole team stunk, yet people pick what I say about Hank to make it seem like I only think he played poorly.

Because it's all you ever ***** about.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:51 PM
  #319
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
This team is a no show when playing with "house money".

Just once can they give themsleves and their fans a bit of breathing room lol??

Scratch and claw every game, every period. Every shift.

Best of three with home ice? I'll take it. Rangers need to dominate a game here.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:31 PM
  #320
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Last night was garbage but today is another day. Tomorrow has huge effort written all over it.
  • At The Garden
  • Return of Prust
  • Hopefully the return of Dubi
  • A lackluster nonperformance with some thuggery added in last night's loss.
If I know the Rangers they will come out flying tomorrow night. It's how they roll. Or at least this is what I tell myself to get through the day.

LETS DO IT

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
  #321
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverbAndDelay View Post
What a season thus far.

Last night, as I stood there cursing at my television, I was reminded of something; What a season thus far!

I remember at the beginning of this season having expectations for this team. I saw a young group of promising players, whom if given the chance to grow as players, could eventually become a powerhouse in the NHL. I wanted them to do well, naturally. I wanted them to make the play offs, I mean REALLY make the play offs, not just eek in at the last minute. I wanted to see them form an identity. I wanted to see players playing for each other and the name on the front of that sweater and not the name on the back. I wanted to see a team that would do what it takes to win.

So here we are now, tied 2-2 with the Devils in the east coast finals. There I was, literally standing, cursing at my television, when it dawned on me. Isn't this enough?

We all want our teams to be Stanley Cup champions. However, even if we get knocked out by the devils, I've come to believe that in some ways, it might be an even more valuable lesson for this team than getting to the finals, or even winning the cup.

I see it on here constantly. No one here, including myself, wants another "one and done" team. We want a team that can contend year in and year out for the foreseeable future. Sure I'd like to see some pieces shifted about on this team. I see players who don't fit what is trying to be done here, and I can see players in the NHL who would fit right in and make us better. However, the fact that this team, who by all rights should not have done as well as they did the season, did in fact play so well...well I just can't help but feel content with whatever comes out of all of this.

So from here on out, I'm not going to stand there cursing at my television any more. Instead, I'm going to cheer them on, and when mistakes are made, I'm going to chalk it up to another lesson. One more lesson that in the long run will make each player on this team better because it will expand their knowledge of what it takes to be an elite team. If we win this series and go on to play for the Stanley Cup, great. Wonderful. Tremendous! If not, I can certainly leave this season behind knowing the start of something really special has truly begun.
I think this was the best post in this thread. I'm just happy to still be watching my team play hockey in late May. My expectation at the beginning of the season was to make the ECF and they did that! Of course I would love to see them beat the Devils but win or lose this season was the biggest step in the right direction we've had in decades.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
  #322
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Last night was garbage but today is another day. Tomorrow has huge effort written all over it.
  • At The Garden
  • Return of Prust
  • Hopefully the return of Dubi
  • A lackluster nonperformance with some thuggery added in last night's loss.
If I know the Rangers they will come out flying tomorrow night. It's how they roll. Or at least this is what I tell myself to get through the day.

LETS DO IT

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:22 PM
  #323
rosesareredroses
Registered User
 
rosesareredroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
i love this team with all my heart but i am sad to say i am very fearful our chances are slim to get through this series. i love to be proven wrong LGR LGR LGR pick yourselves up do this!!

rosesareredroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
  #324
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,182
vCash: 50
I'm going to shed new optimistic light on all of this.

The Rangers are just playing with their food before they eat it. Obviously.

They play dead for a game, the other team gets their hopes up, then they come out and finish them off. They don't want to just sweep through these teams they want these teams to think they actually have a chance at the series...then bam. Nope.

Just think of it that. Keeps me from drinking.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
  #325
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,844
vCash: 500
What are the odds Zuccarello is good to go for game 5?

We really need some creativity and he's one of the few guys on the team that has it.

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.