HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Last two seasons as head coach: 36-38-6 and 38-36-6, failed to make playoffs both years. Yep, he's perfect for us!
Using the W-L record Murray posted those 2 seasons he would have qualified as the best coach this franchise had over the last 14 seasons.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093 View Post
Using the W-L record Murray posted those 2 seasons he would have qualified as the best coach this franchise had over the last 14 seasons.
Yikes! Perspective.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
Falcons head coach Rob Riley's contract will not be renewed. No shock. He was not a good pro coach. He does not push the players hard enough. I was critical of his lack of fire for most of the 2 seasons.

As for a replacement...do not be shocked if the name Rob Murray comes up as a candidate.
Yeah I thought Riley's resume made him a more fitting candidate for an assistant coaching position. Definitely not a head coaching spot.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:32 PM
FutureCjJohnson

Can anybody give their thoughts on the new coach of the Falcons?

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-ahl-club.html

Old
05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
EspenK

No real thoughts on his coaching abilities as he only has 2 years of Asst experience at Springfield. Kinda like promoting Richards. Is he part of the problem or part of the solution? Time will tell.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
No real thoughts on his coaching abilities as he only has 2 years of Asst experience at Springfield. Kinda like promoting Richards. Is he part of the problem or part of the solution? Time will tell.
Except Richards had both assistant and head coaching experience, Larsen had never coached hockey before coming to Springfield as an assistant. I hope he works out, but consider me underwhelmed and unimpressed.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
I hope he works out, but consider me underwhelmed and unimpressed.
Yeah, that about covers it.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
pelts35.com

So instead of looking outside of the organization, they promote the assistant who was party to the team's mediocre play? Color me unimpressed.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Oh for the love of G-D people... Springfield was legitimately decimated by injuries as much as we were, with extra bonus lossage due to our having to make so many damn callups (recall that Aaron Johnson and Curtis Sanford were supposed to be down there). They almost snuck into the playoffs regardless, we decided to go for a newer voice who's familiar with the folks we have there... and suddenly it's a bad thing?

I swear, I get more and more evidence for the "everything is wrong and tainted with horrible failure" emo position of half the fanbase here every day...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh for the love of G-D people... Springfield was legitimately decimated by injuries as much as we were, with extra bonus lossage due to our having to make so many damn callups (recall that Aaron Johnson and Curtis Sanford were supposed to be down there). They almost snuck into the playoffs regardless, we decided to go for a newer voice who's familiar with the folks we have there... and suddenly it's a bad thing?

I swear, I get more and more evidence for the "everything is wrong and tainted with horrible failure" emo position of half the fanbase here every day...
Give me a reason why fans should be positive about any decision Columbus' management makes? I know this might be crazy, since we have been so good , but some posters would like to see people not involved with the Blue Jackets hired.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Give me a reason why fans should be positive about any decision Columbus' management makes? I know this might be crazy, since we have been so good , but some posters would like to see people not involved with the Blue Jackets hired.
Like Scott Howson or Todd Richards or Scott Arniel, for example.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Like Scott Howson or Todd Richards or Scott Arniel, for example.
Okay, let me rephrase it. Some posters want to see people from the outside who are proven winners.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
...Do you even realize the infinite loop inherent in this logic?

(a) The Blue Jackets management CANNOT be trusted in anything at all.
(b) Changes MUST be made to the Blue Jackets, because the team is currently not succeeding.
(c) Changes to the Blue Jackets are made by whoever is in charge of the Blue Jackets - i.e. Blue Jackets management.
(d) GOTO (a).

Or, in other words, Everything Is Wrong And Tainted With Horrible Failure.

Maybe we need to change the team colors to black, white, and more black.

The simple matter is that that logical chain is infinite and thus unworkable. The probability is strong, therefore, that one of those assumptions is wrong. I submit that it's (a) - that the situation is not as absolutist as many seem to assume.

The alternative seems to be (c) - that somehow we need to replace everything and everyone associated with the Blue Jackets except its association with Columbus, and possibly even that too. To which I laugh and say "good luck with that".

Old
05-22-2012, 03:18 PM
RDriesenUD

Even though I don't like Baker, the Reds did this. They got a proven winner at GM and a proven winner at Manager. Then they got rid of all their "star" players. Now they are winning. It can happen. You just have to have an owner willing to make it happen.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Even though I don't like Baker, the Reds did this. They got a proven winner at GM and a proven winner at Manager. Then they got rid of all their "star" players. Now they are winning. It can happen. You just have to have an owner willing to make it happen.
Wait. But I thought that JP was also "not to be trusted" because he trusts Priest and doesn't know hockey and Detroit Blue Devils and all that.

We're still inside the simulation infinite loop.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Maybe we need to change the team colors to black, white, and more black.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, your Columbus Black Jackets.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Seattle thought they did the same thing...they got rid of Griffey, got rid of Randy Johnson, and then they won 116 games. Then the bottom fell out entirely, and they've been largely irrelevant for a decade.

I'm curious to know who this "proven winner at manager" is; it sure isn't Dusty Baker. He's someone who, in 19 years, has gotten to exactly one World Series (which they lost) despite having numerous advantages during his 19 years that lesser managers would kill to have. He had Barry Bonds for 10 years in San Francisco, plus another top-20 all-time at his position (Jeff Kent). His lifetime win percentage, expressed in 162 games, is 84-78. Cincinnati got a name manager on the rebound after completely bombing out with the Cubs.

The other thing is that a baseball manager simply doesn't make that much of a difference. The best of all-time might be good for an extra 3-5 games a year, and the worst...well, the extremes of "worst" generally go further down than "best" can go up. The worst of all-time who actually had staying power are usually 3-5 games worse. Dusty Baker falls into that latter category. And he's a guy who always has managed to escape criticism until his ineptitude becomes apparent. The Reds have won two years ago, and to some extent so far this year, because they have accumulated good young talent and even Dusty Baker hasn't yet figured out how to screw it up.

Don't worry though...he will. He always does.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
So instead of looking outside of the organization, they promote the assistant who was party to the team's mediocre play? Color me unimpressed.
My favorite Vince Lombardi story involves his days with the Giants. He was the offensive coordinator, Tom Landry was the defensive coordinator, and Jim Lee Howell was the head coach. Howell was always generous with his praise in public for his coordinators, so one day a reporter asked him, "You always praise Lombardi and Landry for running the offense and defense. What exactly do YOU do?" Howell scratched his head and said, "Well, mostly I make sure the footballs have enough air in them."

But it does raise this theoretical: what if the Giants had lost the 1956 championship? They lost in 1958, so would the outcry have been so great as to prompt an ouster of the entire coaching staff?

When I was coaching at a school a few years ago, I came in with an idea of how to coach and call an offense. This happened to clash dramatically with what the head coach (who doubled as offensive coordinator) wanted, but I was just a position coach...I had to hold my tongue and coach it his way, while cursing him privately and behind closed doors.

If the AD had come to me after the season and said, "We're making a change at the top. How would you do things differently?", then my entire opinion and way of doing things would have been on display. And I'd have been awfully damned resentful if I was told, "We're making a change, we automatically assume that you're a big part of the problem because you were around, so you're gone too."

Old
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I think this organization is now in cost-savings mode with the operations teams. This promotion, coupled with the lack of a search for the head job in Columbus coupled with the CBA expiration and the additional staff both Columbus and Springfield need...

Old
05-22-2012, 09:03 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Grapevine says his salary is $60k. If true he might be the lowest paid coach in the A.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

So im guessing Springy fans are loving this? :Sarcasm:

Old
05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Xoggz22

Congratulations to Brad Larsen. Here's to an injury free, successful season for Springfield next year.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Glad you guys got new ECHL affiliates, though too bad I was one of the only people to regularly attend Express games, so ya couldn't keep us....

Old
07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
ndd17
Hate the rags

July 11, 2012 , the IceMen General Manager/Head Coach Rich Kromm has announced that All-Star defenseman MATT GENS has assented to terms and signed a one-year contract with the club effective for the upcoming 2012-13 ECHL season.
http://www.evansvilleicemen.com/4133...le-dotted-line

Closed Thread