HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik: Soft as Charmin

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
varanger94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Very well said. I agree with everything here.

Kreider can become a power forward, but he isn't one yet.

Dubinsky should play like a power forward, but, for some reason, he doesn't.
I'd like to throw in Anisimov. He should be a Power Forward by now. Every year I think he's going to bulk up during the off season. i think he still weighs the same as he did in his rookie year.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

where the hell is Gaborik? Did Torts hurt his feelings for messing up? We need you man

Old
05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Ah, the mass insanity continues. People, nothing has changed since the last round, or the round before that. The Rangers don't have any size or strength. They need a power forward, and Chris Kreider of 10 games NHL experience doesn't count. Marian Gaborik is useful when put in the right situation, as many other players are. He does not create offense for himself, because he is not someone who should be carrying the puck. He needs others to do the dirty work for him, allowing him to get open and wait for a pass. Those situations aren't happening, because they don't have anyone that can fight for and win those puck battles. Instead, Richards and Gaborik are being kept to the boards. Hagelin isn't going to win those battles.

You want Gaborik to do things he isn't physically capable of doing. Sorry, but not every one in the league is a complete player, and not everyone is going to be able to take the same amount of physical abuse.

Your frustration should be directed at the front office that continues to fail to understand how to properly accommodate their own roster acquisitions. This team has fallen into a pattern of acquiring players that need certain circumstances to be successful, and then failing to provide those circumstances. Either figure out beforehand what you have to do to get the most of these players, or don't acquire them at all.

And in fairness to the front office, they seemed to believe that they had that player on the roster, but he didn't show up this season.
great post. this team really does miss the player that Dubinsky is suppossed to be. I'd love Iginla on this team, but he like Ryan is a RW. Maybe trade Gaborik straight up for either?

Old
05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Yeah let's bash Gaby and bring up Dubinsky as an important player. Never mind that Gaby is 0.55 points per game while Dubinsky got one assist in 7 games and has an amazing 0.14 points per game. He's being paid to score, not only to play gritty. He is such an impact player.
LOL....please. Dubinsky has gotten to play one series.

And you are right.....Gaborik IS BEING PAID TO SCORE. Too bad he doesn't. Gabby is such an impact player with his 4 Goals in 18 Games and his measly .55 points per game. If you want to talk stats...that ranks something like 60th in Points per Game.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:00 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
In other words, you have entirely unrealistic expectations for Gaborik. At no point in his career has Gaborik ever been a gritty player. And as far as your last point, that's just nonsense. Attempting and failing to do so is not the same as unwilling.

I don't know what challenge the defense is, but when have you ever seen Gaborik use his speed in anything but an open ice or footrace type of scenario? This man with a surgically repaired groin is not going to turn on the jets fighting for pucks along the boards. And why would you want him to? Why would you want him doing the dirty work that shouldn't be his responsibility? You want to put your only goalscorer at risk of serious injury? Not to mention that he simply hasn't had that blazing speed for a while now. I haven't seen any consistent evidence of it since his first season here.

Well, it would be mindboggling if you aren't cognizant of how Marian Gaborik can make an impact, because that list is very short. Like you said, he's a sniper. The only impact he's going to be making is sniping. But if nothing is being done to allow him to snipe, then how can he possibly make an impact? Hagelin is an incredibly fast skater who was a stronger defensive player in college than he was a scorer. He can make an impact in a number of ways. Kreider is a physical freak, he's obviously going to be able to do a number of different things to change the game. Gaborik is a more or less one dimensional player. He is playing in the NHL because he has an incredible wrist shot. But he needs to be put in a position where he can use his wrist shot. That's not happening.
so whilst Speed was one of Gaborik's strongest skills when he came here (and what made him Dangerous once upon a time)......you're saying he has lost this and now simple reduced to being a player with a Wrist Shot? So we're paying Gabby 7.5 to wait around for perfect feeds and passes to come to him? That's a great investment there. Sorry, but anyone who's making the top echelon in salary like he is needs more to his game than just being a One-Dimensional Opportunistic Sniper.

Guess what you are saying is we're doomed since Gaborik doesn't seem like he's gonna find any time nor space soon, and his linemates can't get anything going to get him the puck either.......

Old
05-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Keirik

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
so whilst Speed was one of Gaborik's strongest skills when he came here (and what made him Dangerous once upon a time)......you're saying he has lost this and now simple reduced to being a player with a Wrist Shot? So we're paying Gabby 7.5 to wait around for perfect feeds and passes to come to him? That's a great investment there. Sorry, but anyone who's making the top echelon in salary like he is needs more to his game than just being a One-Dimensional Opportunistic Sniper.

Guess what you are saying is we're doomed since Gaborik doesn't seem like he's gonna find any time nor space soon, and his linemates can't get anything going to get him the puck either.......
LOL, he's not saying that at all. You're drawing conclusions based on him saying he's not the fastest player on the planet.

Where's that jump to conclusion mat?

Old
05-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Fataldogg

Am I the only one who thinks Gaborik has generated our best chances against the Devils amongst our top-6 forwards this series?

He hasn't finished, but that doesn't mean he has been invisible. Richards and Callahan have been equally effective in this series.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Gaborik has generated our best chances against the Devils amongst our top-6 forwards this series?

He hasn't finished, but that doesn't mean he has been invisible. Richards and Callahan have been equally effective in this series.
Amongst all the anger and bashing of gaborik this is the post i agree with and was gona post something similar. After his poor play in the 2nd period of game 2 he has been progessively skating better and shooting the puck more. There is more jump in his step. I like his game but I know many here can only live with results.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
LOL, he's not saying that at all. You're drawing conclusions based on him saying he's not the fastest player on the planet.

Where's that jump to conclusion mat?
he said
Quote:
He is playing in the NHL because he has an incredible wrist shot. But he needs to be put in a position where he can use his wrist shot. That's not happening
according to this.......Gaborik offers nothing to this team unless his Linemates do all the dirty work, then feed him the puck. Great 7.5 million dollar investment there

So like Sting said......Gaborik is a one-dimensional sniper that is seriously flawed as a player. That pretty much sums what I've been saying all along

Old
05-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

sedin twins generated chances against Boston too. It doesn't matter whether you create chances, it's about producing or not producing and Gaborik is a liability when he isn't producing.

Buy out please.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Amongst all the anger and bashing of gaborik this is the post i agree with and was gona post something similar. After his poor play in the 2nd period of game 2 he has been progessively skating better and shooting the puck more. There is more jump in his step. I like his game but I know many here can only live with results.
He played "better" recently.......but still not enough for what we brought him in here to do. And that is Score Goals, since he doesn't bring much else to this team

Old
05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
sedin twins generated chances against Boston too. It doesn't matter whether you create chances, it's about producing or not producing and Gaborik is a liability when he isn't producing.

Buy out please.
And there's the sky is falling post from kershaw. They are not buying out there best scorer when he has just two years left and has put up 2 40 goal seasons. The series is not over, in fact its tied 2-2. There is a lot of hockey left to be played

Old
05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:

Buy out please.
what's he got...2 more years after this season? Is it at $15 million for the 2? As much as I'd like that.......we're prob stuck with him for the rest of his contract

Old
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
And there's the sky is falling post from kershaw. They are not buying out there best scorer when he has just two years left and has put up 2 40 goal seasons. The series is not over, in fact its tied 2-2. There is a lot of hockey left to be played
Gaborik is 7 mil 2nd line player that got spoonfed gobs of ice time in the offensive zone. Utilize him like Kovalchuk, Parise and he'll struggle to score 30 goals.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Oh there is definitely more hockey to be played. But it is obvious going forward that we need to address our scoring woes, especially when it comes to Playoff time. And that starts with Gaborik......

Old
05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
NYR Viper

I honestly can not believe what I am reading in this thread. Buyout Gaborik? Are people serious? I HAVE to assume people are being sarcastic at this point because this has gone well off of the deep end.

Buyout the Rangers leading scorer and one of their main reasons why they were #1 in the East and had home-ice advantage in the past (2) Game 7's? Yeah, good call. Let's replace him with another Blair Betts who plays the right way.

I guarantee the people calling for his buyout would be crying about the lack of skill and goal scoring ability on this team if he were shipped out.

For crying out loud guys, they are tied 2-2 in the ECF.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Gaborik is 7 mil 2nd line player that got spoonfed gobs of ice time in the offensive zone. Utilize him like Kovalchuk, Parise and he'll struggle to score 30 goals.
Ha cmon kershaw i know you are a more intelligent fan than this. Utilize him like kovy and parise in what way? First off Parise plays a different style game. He is not Parise. Cally is more like Parise but obviously not as talented. Kovalchuk does not play the PK if at all so how do you want gabo to play like him? Hit more? That's not gabo's game though he has been more physical in the playoffs. Go down and block shots? Kovy doesnt do that. Gaborik's defensive game has improved greatly. And you know what Kovalchuk has not been that effective in this series. He really hasnt been. But I'm sure devils fans arent looking to buy him out

Old
05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yes, and utilizing Gretzky like Colton Orr would force him to look out of place as well. Is your point to prove that there are different types of players on every team and that they all fill their roles?

Old
05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yes, and utilizing Gretzky like Colton Orr would force him to look out of place as well. Is your point to prove that there are different types of players on every team and that they all fill their roles?
You never heard people complain about Pavel Bure. He was a goal hanger, no real defensive side to his game. But he fit a need on the team and that is a pure goal scorer.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I honestly can not believe what I am reading in this thread. Buyout Gaborik? Are people serious? I HAVE to assume people are being sarcastic at this point because this has gone well off of the deep end.

Buyout the Rangers leading scorer and one of their main reasons why they were #1 in the East and had home-ice advantage in the past (2) Game 7's? Yeah, good call. Let's replace him with another Blair Betts who plays the right way.

I guarantee the people calling for his buyout would be crying about the lack of skill and goal scoring ability on this team if he were shipped out.

For crying out loud guys, they are tied 2-2 in the ECF.
RELAX......the buyout won't happen even if we wanted it

He's one of our most "skilled" forwards.....without a doubt. That's the problem when your most skilled forward isn't producing though. The "other" guys on the team are struggling as well, but they weren't brought in to "Score" like Gabby was

We're not calling for Betts. We're calling for someone who will actually produce in the Playoffs. I would love to have a Briere instead.....25-35 goal scorer in the regular season.....but scores in DROVES EVERY PLAYOFF season. We're calling for our 7.5 Million to be spent on someone who we all know will dissapear every Spring. Not too hard to grasp?

Old
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ok, this thread just went from being somewhat logical to being boatloads of dumb with stupid sauce poured on top.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
You never heard people complain about Pavel Bure. He was a goal hanger, no real defensive side to his game. But he fit a need on the team and that is a pure goal scorer.
difference was....Bure scored in EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF SERIES he played in. 70 points in 64 Games.....35 Goals and 35 Assists!!!

Gaborik is 34 Points in 52 Games

HUGE DIFFERENCE

Old
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Keirik

Quote:
he said

according to this.......Gaborik offers nothing to this team unless his Linemates do all the dirty work, then feed him the puck. Great 7.5 million dollar investment there

So like Sting said......Gaborik is a one-dimensional sniper that is seriously flawed as a player. That pretty much sums what I've been saying all along
a. Gaborik isn't a one dimensional sniper. Every year he pretty much equals his assists and his goals. He sets up just as many people as he gets set up. He also has done a pretty good job all year of realizing his defensive responsibilities. Maybe that's not sexy enough for you because he's not out there banging like Cally or fighting lightweights like Dubi does from time to time.

b. Saying he relies on a quick release and relies on his linemates doesn't mean his linemates do all the dirty work. It just means that like 99% of every other goal scorer that has ever played in the NHL, he can't do it alone.

c. Wtf has Rick Nash ever done to make it as if he would be lighting up the playoffs right now? He's played 4 playoff games in his career and his stats have declined for 4 straight years. He's a career minus player and does not back check at all. He's a career -71. You think you dislike Gaborik for not being "gritty"? Wait till you see Nash. He makes Gaborik look like Jan Erixon.

We get it. You don't like him. Fact is, we wouldn't be playing hockey right now in the semi finals without him. We need him to get better. We need the entire team to get better.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
RELAX......the buyout won't happen even if we wanted it

He's one of our most "skilled" forwards.....without a doubt. That's the problem when your most skilled forward isn't producing though. The "other" guys on the team are struggling as well, but they weren't brought in to "Score" like Gabby was

We're not calling for Betts. We're calling for someone who will actually produce in the Playoffs. I would love to have a Briere instead.....25-35 goal scorer in the regular season.....but scores in DROVES EVERY PLAYOFF season. We're calling for our 7.5 Million to be spent on someone who we all know will dissapear every Spring. Not too hard to grasp?
You are talking about the same Briere who had 49 points in 70 games this season? Yeah, that would help.

The team struggles to score goals. They have all season. Richards, Gaborik, Callahan. That has been the primary offense.

Dubinsky sucked this season.

Hagelin was a surprise but he is snakebitten.

Kreider has been good but he is still learning.

Boyle is hurt but playing through it.

The fact that there is SO much emphasis on one player to carry the offense is the problem with the Rangers. Not Gaborik. Why do you think they were pushing so hard to acquire Nash? They need a secondary scoring threat.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Ha cmon kershaw i know you are a more intelligent fan than this. Utilize him like kovy and parise in what way? First off Parise plays a different style game. He is not Parise. Cally is more like Parise but obviously not as talented. Kovalchuk does not play the PK if at all so how do you want gabo to play like him? Hit more? That's not gabo's game though he has been more physical in the playoffs. Go down and block shots? Kovy doesnt do that. Gaborik's defensive game has improved greatly. And you know what Kovalchuk has not been that effective in this series. He really hasnt been. But I'm sure devils fans arent looking to buy him out
Gaborik starts nearly 63% of his shifts 5 on 5 in the offensive zone.

Parise starts 54.2% of his shifts in the offensive zone, while Kovy starts 56.2% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

This is why Gaborik gets his points. He gets babied and pampered throughout the regular season so his point totals will go, in return fans get false hope that the same production will repeat into the postseason.

No I don't want Gaborik to block shots, start playing like Eric Lindros, but I'd like to see more hustle and less softness from him. He is the softest star player I've ever seen. He gets hit by 5 ft 6 Gionta and he loses the puck every single time. He never accelerates or uses his talents to create scoring chances. Hagelin and Richards are doing the heavy lifting while Gaborik cherry picks in front of the net hoping to be spoonfed a perfect pass. At 7.5 m, you're basically paying a faster less physical version of Mike Knuble in Gaborik. He is a liability on the ice and at his cap hit, he is one of the most overpaid players in the league.

Closed Thread