HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 02:02 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Do we have anything official on Suter? I've read the rumors and heard what Pete said but I was expecting some sort of official status since Poile gave Ryan two weeks to chill.

Not looking for more opinions. Do we have DP saying Ryan will test his value on the market post July 1?

Old
05-22-2012, 02:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Just talking to Abbadon and we heard Pete Weber say Suter is heading to market. This was on NHL Home Ice on sat radio.
Pete was giving his opinion, Ryan has not told him anything.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
sighthndlady

It would be at the very least polite for him to let DP know one way or the other soon. After all (1) DP also needs to make plans and (2) at least we could get something for his rights.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:26 PM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
If Suter is really going to test the market,i hope he doesn't sign with the wings,canucks,or philly,he can sign with any other nhl teams except for those three
I can't really see Suter on the cannucks.

Philly has 3 mil left in capspace with 3 spots to fill so things could be tight there even with a raise in the cap. But I could see that as a destination for him since they already have many of the pieces there and a top tier D-man could push them over the top.

The Wings, 20.5 mill in capspace even without an increase in cap but they would have to convince him that it will be more than just him being added to the team since they certainly showed some playoff deficiencies. But with 20 mil they can do a lot of convincing.

So two of your three could be rather appealing to Mr. Suter and I doubt if he will leave Nashville without an upgrade in the team that he plays for. Penguins could be another possibility but only if there is a significant increase in the cap. I was also thinking the Bruins but their cap situation has them squeezed. An outside shot with Chicago and possibly the Rangers. After that, I think it would be remaining with Nashville.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:53 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
I can't really see Suter on the cannucks.

Philly has 3 mil left in capspace with 3 spots to fill so things could be tight there even with a raise in the cap. But I could see that as a destination for him since they already have many of the pieces there and a top tier D-man could push them over the top.

The Wings, 20.5 mill in capspace even without an increase in cap but they would have to convince him that it will be more than just him being added to the team since they certainly showed some playoff deficiencies. But with 20 mil they can do a lot of convincing.

So two of your three could be rather appealing to Mr. Suter and I doubt if he will leave Nashville without an upgrade in the team that he plays for. Penguins could be another possibility but only if there is a significant increase in the cap. I was also thinking the Bruins but their cap situation has them squeezed. An outside shot with Chicago and possibly the Rangers. After that, I think it would be remaining with Nashville.
Teams can dtich salary. In Philly's case, if they sign Suter, they'd probably want to trade Kimmo. He has a NTC, but may waive it-- hopefully to Nashillve

In Pittsburgh's case, they'd be able to unload someone like Michalek pretty easily. They also may trade Staal if they don't think they can re-sign him next summer.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:34 PM
VFL615*

Going to atleast entertain Nashville

http://network.yardbarker.com/author...sport_name=nhl

Old
05-28-2012, 07:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What a guy. His way of showing fans he wasn't the bad guy when he signs somewhere else.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

"at least entertain" a Preds offer. Yay.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:01 PM
NoNecksCurse

at least entertain.... how nice

Old
05-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Firestorm

Still the question remains, is it really smart to sign three 7M players to the team when there are clear needs to be addressed (like a top centre).

Old
05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Still the question remains, is it really smart to sign three 7M players to the team when there are clear needs to be addressed (like a top centre).
If Suter signs for 7M anywhere I'd eat my hat.

Or laugh at whoever signs him for 7M. I definitely would like to see him back in Nashville, just not for 7M.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:23 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
If Suter signs for 7M anywhere I'd eat my hat.

Or laugh at whoever signs him for 7M. I definitely would like to see him back in Nashville, just not for 7M.
whoever signs him as a free agent, it will be 7.5 +

Old
05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
To question that question...how to fill those holes even with an extra $4 off the books. Not in free agency (Parise isn't coming here).

Old
05-29-2012, 07:02 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Should he "at best" entertain an offer? Seems to me that would be worse...

Old
05-29-2012, 07:13 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Well ****...

I just read that, and it doesn't seem bad at all. I guess maybe I shouldn't condemn the guy yet

Old
05-29-2012, 07:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
whoever signs him as a free agent, it will be 7.5 +
Agreed

Old
05-29-2012, 08:25 AM
VFL615*

The article is funny Ryan is just going through the motions. The line from the writer says it all. Your hearing a lot of the same things on in that corner but nothing about how much he wants to stay in Nashville. I really hope we find out this week what little we get for him.

Old
05-29-2012, 11:48 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Teams can dtich salary. In Philly's case, if they sign Suter, they'd probably want to trade Kimmo. He has a NTC, but may waive it-- hopefully to Nashillve

In Pittsburgh's case, they'd be able to unload someone like Michalek pretty easily. They also may trade Staal if they don't think they can re-sign him next summer.
no, in philly's case, the easiest thing to do would keep pronger on IR. That is 5 million more to play with

Old
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Suter's concern isn't money he has no faith in poile to put together a cup winning team
does anybody?

Old
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
does anybody?
all the GM can do is put the pieces together that, if they play to their ability, should have a legit shot.

Poile has done that... he did it this year, unfortunately the assembled players didnt do their part. We didnt lose to Phoenix because Phoenix is a better assembled team than we are or becaus Phoenix's GM is better than Poile. We lost because our players(including Suter) didnt execute.

If Suter wants to go somewhere to be "The Man" thats his prerogative, though I think its a dumb choice.... but if he leaves it wont be because Nashville cant ice a potential Cup winner..

Old
05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
all the GM can do is put the pieces together that, if they play to their ability, should have a legit shot.

Poile has done that... he did it this year, unfortunately the assembled players didnt do their part. We didnt lose to Phoenix because Phoenix is a better assembled team than we are or becaus Phoenix's GM is better than Poile. We lost because our players(including Suter) didnt execute.

If Suter wants to go somewhere to be "The Man" thats his prerogative, though I think its a dumb choice.... but if he leaves it wont be because Nashville cant ice a potential Cup winner..
I agree...to an extent...but look at Poile's resume as a GM, going back to his days in Washington. What we saw this year was something that happened several times back in those days as well.

He has a rep for being the GM of consistently "good" teams that never can put it all together.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I agree...to an extent...but look at Poile's resume as a GM, going back to his days in Washington. What we saw this year was something that happened several times back in those days as well.

He has a rep for being the GM of consistently "good" teams that never can put it all together.
ain't it a ***** to preach the truth

Old
05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Dear Mr. Suter,

I wanna hop on the train and hit the big NHL store in Manhattan and buy a new Preds shirt, but I don't even know who's gonna be on the team these days. Help me out with a swift decision?

Old
05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post

Okay, have heard this for a while, and it can be considered a legitimate "complaint", here's my question.

Who, before the playoffs started, would you have considered to be put together to win it all?

I seriously doubt that anyone would have selected the Kings (maybe the Kings - I had the Kings/Blues in the WCF) or the Devils, and I'm sure that the Pens, Flyers, us, the Blues, maybe even the Canucks would be in on that list.

The problem with the quoted portion of the text is that while it may be true he hasn't produced a cup, he has put his teams in a position, year in and year out, to have a chance at a championship. I fully believe that it is important to be that "good" not great team every year, because if it does all come together for you, you are much more prepared than if you have lots of holes. Honestly, a good bit of winning a cup is "lightning in a bottle" that is somewhat of an anomaly, and I feel that if your team is capable of winning some of the time, you are much more prepared when that lightning strikes.

I am neither a Poile apologist, nor a basher, but if anyone in their right minds thinks that he hasn't done enough for this team, provided a good, solid foundation, put a team together for the long haul, set a goal to retain high-level drafted talent, done more with less $ than anyone else in the league consistently for years, then you are just going to be dissatisfied with everything and anyone that takes on the GM job.

It's easy to complain about this, but Poile is by far not the biggest danger to the Predators. The pieces were there, they didn't get it done on the ice, and as tough as that may be to hear for many, the simple fact is that we got strangled by a less talented team. The players didn't make the necessary adjustments in their game to win, and that's just the way it goes. Much better teams than us have lost, in less games.

Since this thread is about Suter, I guess I'll need to comment on that. I honestly don't know if he's going to stay or not, but I can say that if he doesn't, and it's because he doesn't think Nashville can win it all at some point, well, then he really hasn't been paying attention. The road to a cup is long and difficult, the team has been on a steady rise for a long time, and Suter has been a part of that, but he needs to neither neglect nor over-value his role on this team. He is merely a cog, albeit an important one, in this machine, and needs to compare that to his role on the other teams that will be calling if he hits the market.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
To question that question...how to fill those holes even with an extra $4 off the books. Not in free agency (Parise isn't coming here).
The Preds are built from the goal out. $22mm for your goalie and Top 2 D-men, assuming that's their rough market value, is necessary and appropriate. If your goal is to be the best in goal and on D, and you succeed in filling those slots with homegrown players, then you spend the money. The trade-off is less money available for the forwards. We will spend to the cap, pay Rinne-Weber-Suter $22mm, and make do with the rest.

If we don't sign Suter, and spend $17mm on those 3 slots, we'd be putting a higher priority on paying up for a forward. If Suts won't sign, that's what we'll do. We'll roll the dice with Josi or Klein in the #2 D slot with Weber. However, to play Pred hockey and have your #1 D line play 27 minutes a night in front of your all-star goalie, the money is necessary.

Closed Thread