HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your taste in music?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
For me I am primarily a metal head. Judas Priest Metallica Dio etc. Now with having 4 kids I get to listen to everything they like which tends to be all the current top 40. So we have a lot of Justin Bieber being a Stratford kid about 35 min away from London. We have lots of LMFAO and so on.

My fav music before I play hockey is Ride the Lightning the entire album it gets me up for games not that I need music to get up for a game lol.

On a side note Sting was by far my fav concert it was acousticaly amazing and the Barenaked Ladies are the absolute best for on stage presence just hilarious. Bowie had an interesting stage show I saw him and Duran Duran back in the 80s Priest was a pretty uninspiring stage show but the music more than made up for it Halford can flat out sing.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Steve Kimock Band tonight @ Exit/In.

See you n00bs there.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Fo Shea Shea

I'm good with anything as long as it itsn't God awful country music. Country music makes me want to throw puppies and kittens off an overpass onto a busy interstate to save their poor little ears from such a horrible noises.

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea View Post
I'm good with anything as long as it itsn't God awful country music. Country music makes me want to throw puppies and kittens off an overpass onto a busy interstate to save their poor little ears from such a horrible noises.
Country is definitely one of my least favorite genres. I would say I dislike 98% of country however some of the old time country like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Strait etc. I do like. Also I always enjoy listening to the country every time I go downtown for the night. That might have to more with the alcohol than the music though.

People bash mainstream pop and rap but IMO mainstream country is the worst. I wanna stab my ear drums when I hear that crap.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Country is definitely one of my least favorite genres. I would say I dislike 98% of country however some of the old time country like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Strait etc. I do like. Also I always enjoy listening to the country every time I go downtown for the night. That might have to more with the alcohol than the music though.

People bash mainstream pop and rap but IMO mainstream country is the worst. I wanna stab my ear drums when I hear that crap.
mainstream music in general sucks (all genres) ... Alternative Country kicks ass, alternative rock kicked ass ... I don't know what alternative pop is, is that even a genre/sub-genre ? ... rap has sucked for years and always will in my book

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:46 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:

I think it has more to do with atmosphere. This DJ friend of mine from Miami, Greg "Stryke" Chin, plays some AMAZING sets. When I se hi mlive, I'm never disappointed. If I listen to a recorded mix, I get bored. It's all about the circumstances of how the music was heard.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

Lately, though, I've been on a huge jazz kick. Lots of Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie, some Arturo Sandoval, and a little big band jazz like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

Getcha some Duke Ellington in there

As far as rap goes, it's like any other genre. Some of it is incredibly well done, but most of it is just terrible and can only be called "music" because it's organized notes. Some rap artists feature live bands in their music, and these bands can rival some jazz bands in talent (and in instrumentation, honestly). Tupac has a song called Changes that is like that. It not only has inspirational lyrics, but the musicianship behind the lyrics is outstanding. I would link it, but I don't think the subject matter is safe for HF Boards (though not overtly vulgar, either). It's on youtube if you're interested.

FWIW I was taking a music appreciation class a couple of semesters ago, and the professor asked us to get into groups of two or three. He tasked the groups with picking one song that they would consider to be the best song they have heard, but the catch is we had to actually present an argument using what we had learned in class up to that point. My partner and I needed to agree. I knew he was pretty heavily into hip hop, so I tailored my suggestions to that. We decided on the aforementioned "Changes", and the professor agreed with us. Here we had a white, mid-30s, trained jazz saxophone player and university professor actually making our argument for us as we listened to an artist most people only know for being involved in gangs and being shot to death

edit: (from the first verse of "Changes")
Quote:
First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal to brothers.
Give 'em guns, step back, and watch 'em kill each other.
"It's time to fight back", that's what Huey said.
2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead.
I got love for my brother, but we can never go nowhere
unless we share with each other. We gotta start makin' changes.
Learn to see me as a brother 'stead of 2 distant strangers.
And that's how it's supposed to be.
How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me?
I'd love to go back to when we played as kids
but things changed, and that's the way it is
Not exactly the sort of guy to only degrade women or talk about money.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:33 AM
tnvol

Mine is all over the place. The new Meshuggah is awesome. That's where I am right now.

tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Preds311

My taste in music is all over. Favorite is 311.

Other Artists:
Atmosphere
Kid Cudi
DMB
Incubus(Everything from Morning View and prior)
NOFX
Sublime
Propagandhi
Mr. Bungle
2 Skinnee J's
Foo Fighters
Wu-Tang
OutKast
Classic Rock
Alternative
Dubstep

I'll listen to anything really, except most country.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:13 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

Rush, hence the user name, track 2 off the Signals album.

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Bongo

Quote:

It's nothing more than a lame version of southern rock. There are a few artist staying true to the genre but you hear less and less of them.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
It's nothing more than a lame version of southern rock. There are a few artist staying true to the genre but you hear less and less of them.
ever heard of justin moore? he's my favorite .. country twang for sure

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Bongo

I'll have to check him out.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
Rush, hence the user name, track 2 off the Signals album.
You have great taste in music!

The first time I saw these guys live was as a 14 year old kid on September 2, 1979 at Varsity Stadium in Toronto and I was hooked for life and I've seen them multiple times every tour since then. Saw them in Toronto, Los Angeles, San Diego on the Time Machine Tour and I have my tix for Toronto, Vegas and Los Angeles for the upcoming Clockworks Angels tour. I'd love to hear "Analog Kid" live again. I don't believe they've played it since the Counterparts Tour in '94. Signals is a great album. And I think that album cover was one of Hugh Syme's best Rush album covers.

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Just saw a Burger King commercial that reminded me how much I like Dire Straits.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:30 AM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
For me I am primarily a metal head. Judas Priest Metallica Dio etc. Now with having 4 kids I get to listen to everything they like which tends to be all the current top 40. So we have a lot of Justin Bieber being a Stratford kid about 35 min away from London. We have lots of LMFAO and so on.

My fav music before I play hockey is Ride the Lightning the entire album it gets me up for games not that I need music to get up for a game lol.

On a side note Sting was by far my fav concert it was acousticaly amazing and the Barenaked Ladies are the absolute best for on stage presence just hilarious. Bowie had an interesting stage show I saw him and Duran Duran back in the 80s Priest was a pretty uninspiring stage show but the music more than made up for it Halford can flat out sing.
Fellow metalhead, Priest and Iron Maiden all the way. Never been much for Metallica though.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I just went to Warped Tour last week if that answers it for anyone. I don't generally listen to country, rap, or pop. I'm open to a lot of different rock music.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
AintLifeGrand

Jam Band/Crunchy Tunes- Widespread Panic, Phish, String Cheese Incident, Grateful Dead, Allman Bros, etc

Alt Country/ Southern Rock: Drive By Truckers, Futurebirds, Jason Isbell

Bluegrass/Newgrass- Sam Bush, Railroad Earth, Yonder Mountain String Band

Classic Rock- The Band, Warren Zevon

Dubstep

Electronic Indie Music

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

Getcha some Duke Ellington in there

As far as rap goes, it's like any other genre. Some of it is incredibly well done, but most of it is just terrible and can only be called "music" because it's organized notes. Some rap artists feature live bands in their music, and these bands can rival some jazz bands in talent (and in instrumentation, honestly). Tupac has a song called Changes that is like that. It not only has inspirational lyrics, but the musicianship behind the lyrics is outstanding. I would link it, but I don't think the subject matter is safe for HF Boards (though not overtly vulgar, either). It's on youtube if you're interested.

FWIW I was taking a music appreciation class a couple of semesters ago, and the professor asked us to get into groups of two or three. He tasked the groups with picking one song that they would consider to be the best song they have heard, but the catch is we had to actually present an argument using what we had learned in class up to that point. My partner and I needed to agree. I knew he was pretty heavily into hip hop, so I tailored my suggestions to that. We decided on the aforementioned "Changes", and the professor agreed with us. Here we had a white, mid-30s, trained jazz saxophone player and university professor actually making our argument for us as we listened to an artist most people only know for being involved in gangs and being shot to death

edit: (from the first verse of "Changes")

Not exactly the sort of guy to only degrade women or talk about money.
Tupac's hardcore persona was more to keep his name in the headlines. Hell he's not even really a West Coast guy, he grew up on the east coast. Lots of his music had really good messages, "Life Goes On" is one of my favorite songs period.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:19 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Hard rock and punk. Bands I like in no particular order: 10 Years, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Blink 182, Dropkick Murphy's, Thursday, old AFI, NoFx, Rise Against, Five Finger Death Punch, and more.

I'm going to riotfest in chicago next month to see all the punk bands I used to listen to in high school.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Legionnaire11

If you like Punk, especially NOFX... then you have got to check out Rancid, best punk band ever IMO, and the last true punk rock band (with any success anyway)

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If you like Punk, especially NOFX... then you have got to check out Rancid, best punk band ever IMO, and the last true punk rock band (with any success anyway)
Man, I haven't listened to Rancid since high school either. Forgot all about them. Good call.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

First 2/3rds of workout TSN sports talk radio to build up my rage. Final third, punk with an eclectic mix. Been listening to Skrillex lately. Dead CombI, a band out of Portual is interesting.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote