HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik - ByE HiM OOUtT!

Old
05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Marian Gaborik - ByE HiM OOUtT!

Continue the discussion

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I kinda like the other thread title better

BTW, I found Gaborik

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
stan the caddy

You could really get a nice return in a trade and then use the cash to go sign Parise or whoever.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Riverdale

I don't get the Gabby hate. He is a streaky scorer, we KNOW this. He was really good in the Caps series and isn't in this one, he will pick it up again if we advance.

Bottom line is this - without Gabby we might not even make the playoffs. There is other people who need to step up as well (Richards[this round], Cally, Steps, AA).

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Gabby is and always has been an extremely streaky scorer. When he's on the upside of his streaks, he's a top 10 player in the NHL easy. When he's not, well, he's not. This is the reason he scores in the low range of 40 goals every year instead of averaging 50+.

He is currently on a "down" streak. He had a good Capitals series, and is having a mediocre Devils series. I'm much more concerned about the way Callahan is playing over the way Gabby is playing.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Affinity

Our fanbase always needs it's whipping boy, don't they?

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Yeah. It's all Boyle's fault.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yeah. It's all Boyle's fault.
But Boyle is actually terrible

Half joking...half serious...

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
But Boyle is actually terrible

Half joking...half serious...
I think he's still feeling the effects of that concussion. Wouldn't be surprised if Gaborik was playing through some sort of injury. He was overdue for one.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
yes they do.1st it was Richards during the regular season,now we have our whipping boy for the playoffs

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Fickle fanbase... No forward on this team is playing up to expectations in the playoffs (Kreider being the exception because nobody knew what to expect with him). I agree that Gaborik needs to do the little things if he's not scoring, but these are humans playing a grueling sport; they're not video game players who can score hattricks each game like in NHL12.

As someone said previously, he's streaky like most scorers, but let's not ignore that all of our forwards have underachieved. This team scored 4 goals in Game 1 of the Ottawa series and have done squat since. They're averaging a little over 2 goals per game right now. Then again, short of the Flyers game (2/11/12) this team's offense has been silent all season. Why single out Gabby when there are other players doing less than he has?

I'm really learning to hate these boards. The Rangers go up 1-0 in the series and we're gonna sweep. Devils tie the series and we're going to go 7. We go up 2-1 and now we're gonna wrap it up in 5. Devils win Game 4 and the sky is falling. It's a three game series now and we have home ice advantage. Stay the course. Our best hockey is yet to come (I hope to God!)

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Gaborik is 7 mil 2nd line player that got spoonfed gobs of ice time in the offensive zone. Utilize him like Kovalchuk, Parise and he'll struggle to score 30 goals.
WHY would you want to utilize him like two totally different players? Everyone knows Kovalchuk and Parise are more valuable players than Gaborik. What deductive genius! Gaborik is going to be less effective than two players who both have physical capabilities far beyond anything he's capable of doing.

Quote:
Gaborik starts nearly 63% of his shifts 5 on 5 in the offensive zone.

Parise starts 54.2% of his shifts in the offensive zone, while Kovy starts 56.2% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

This is why Gaborik gets his points. He gets babied and pampered throughout the regular season so his point totals will go, in return fans get false hope that the same production will repeat into the postseason.
That's exactly what they should be doing! That's the best possible thing you can do for players like Gaborik! How could you be complaining? That's what you do when you have snipers who don't really do much of anything else: you put them in situations that allow them to do the one reason you dress them in your lineup: score. You don't sign pure goalscorers to play defense or be physical specimens along the boards. Why would you do that? Of course, Kovalchuk is better than Gaborik! He's bigger, much stronger, almost as fast, and not only is his wrist shot as good as Gaborik's, but his slapshot is far, far better. He also doesn't have a variety of serious injuries in his past. But here's the interesting thing about players like Gaborik: only players like Kovalchuk, and there aren't many like him, score goals more than players like Gaborik do. That's why Gaborik is 7th in goals per game among active players. Only Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Jagr, Selanne, and Heatley score more than Gaborik does. 5 automatic Hall of Famers and one guy who was on pace to be for a good 5-6 years. It's also just ahead of Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash, Vanek, Hossa, and Eric Staal. Nash, Vanek, and Staal all make tons of money, and they are all flawed players. Gaborik is a better value than any of them at his cap hit.

Why not tackle a better issue, like how the Rangers were going to go from being one of the least skilled and talented teams in the league to being able to compete if they didn't sign Gaborik? I didn't want Gaborik signed, and I wanted them to wait to get Kovalchuk, but that's about the only complaint that can reasonably be levied. They needed offense, and they obviously aren't going to get elite players through the draft, so what choice did they have? What would YOU have done? Considering you think Lecavalier is a beast, I shudder at the thought of your answer.

Quote:
No I don't want Gaborik to block shots, start playing like Eric Lindros, but I'd like to see more hustle and less softness from him. He is the softest star player I've ever seen. He gets hit by 5 ft 6 Gionta and he loses the puck every single time. He never accelerates or uses his talents to create scoring chances. Hagelin and Richards are doing the heavy lifting while Gaborik cherry picks in front of the net hoping to be spoonfed a perfect pass. At 7.5 m, you're basically paying a faster less physical version of Mike Knuble in Gaborik. He is a liability on the ice and at his cap hit, he is one of the most overpaid players in the league.
Actually, standing front of the net and hoping to be spoonfed a perfect pass is the ideal situation for Gaborik. He can't even do that right now, because opponents aren't letting him get to the slot. And guess what, that's exactly the same thing most pure goalscoring snipers do or did. It's what Pavel Bure did most of the time. It's what Mike Gartner did most of the time. If Gaborik is overpaid, what does that make Ovechkin? Nash? Staal? Gomez? Bouwmeester? Lecavalier? Vanek? Heatley? Marleau? He's a better value than any of those players at their respective cap hits.

Quote:
Lecavalier is a beast. If he was signed for only 2 years, I'd trade him for Gaborik in a heartbeat.
Maybe you mean Lecavalier's contract. It certainly is beastly. There's nothing else "beast" about him. He's a second line center that is a shell of his former self. Hell, he only really had one or two truly great seasons in his career, anyway. Talk about overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
Sure Nash hasn't done anything in the Playoffs. He IS a -71 (which is an overrused stat btw). Brad Richards is a minus 73 in his career and even Callahan is a career minus player. But he's also never had a chance to play much in the playoffs....and he sure hasn't had the support nor supporting team to give him the chance to prove himself. Maybe he would be a dud in Playoff Hockey. But then again, maybe not. I think he would have more production than Gaborik.

I'm hard on Gabby because he is one of our Skilled guys who SHOULD BE a DIFFERENCE maker. He's got the contract....he's our "perennial" all-star. So he should shoulder alot (albeit not all) of the blame. Sure the rest of our team needs to pick it up and play better. But from what I see game in and game out.....he has much less than what is expected, or capeable from him. Not good enough for a guy who led us with 41 scored in the regular season.....
You're hard on him because you concoct entirely unrealistic expectations while failing to consider anything besides the most shallow of observations. Of course, he makes a lot of money. He was an unrestricted free agent signed by a team desperate for offensive talent because it hasn't drafted or developed a first line forward in 30 years (or at least one that they've kept past their rookie season).

I would wager any amount of money that you would eventually find a reason to be just as critical of Nash, who makes more money, and brings a multitude of flaws to the table, as you are of Gaborik. You want Briere? You think he's better? You never stopped to consider the kind of hockey Briere's teams play, and the quality of players that Briere plays with, not to mention the complimentary relationship between him and them, as opposed to the one shared by Gaborik and his linemates. In Buffalo and Philly, Briere got/gets to play with players that help him get around the fact that he's small. Where is that happening here? Where is the big, strong wing to allow Gaborik to do his job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
I'd like to throw in Anisimov. He should be a Power Forward by now. Every year I think he's going to bulk up during the off season. i think he still weighs the same as he did in his rookie year.
Don't hold your breath. Just because he is tall doesn't mean he's going to be a power forward. That was never his game, nor will it ever be. Anisimov should be a more defensively responsible, slightly less productive offensive Antropov. That is a realistic expectation.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I think he's still feeling the effects of that concussion. Wouldn't be surprised if Gaborik was playing through some sort of injury. He was overdue for one.
cause he was so good before it...

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
You don't buy out a $7.5 million 40 goal scorer.

You do buy out a $4.2 million 30 point player (Dubinsky).

I guess Captain Callahan has been instrumental in our playoff success with his $4.25 million cap hit? Inconsistent production, untimely penalties, inconsistent effort, etc. Besides blocking a shot, Callahan hasn't done a whole lot and he doesn't make over $4 million to merely block shots.

And Richards, admittedly great in the first two rounds, has disappeared against the Devils. 3 assists in 4 games in the Conference Finals for a $6.7 million cap hit after a 66 point season? Shesh. Not cutting it.

In case you have not noticed, all of the Rangers "top" players are not producing. Yet, I see Gaborik get most of the hate. Does not make sense to me (and I KNOW he has the largest cap hit on the team - big whoop). The other top stars have not shown up against the Devils.
Gaborik does nothing when he isn't scoring and he's creating no scoring chances.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:09 PM
SnowblindNYR

If we get rid of Gaborik and sign Parise we will REGRESS in the scoring department. The stuff that Parise does that Gaborik does we have plenty of players to do. Parise is a better scoring, better passing Callahan. We already have Callahan. Parise would be nice, but not te expense of Gabby. If not for Gabby's regular season we start the regular season on the road against a tougher team than Ottawa and probably lose in the first round.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:10 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
cause he was so good before it...
Boyle? Wasn't he all over the ice in the Ottawa series?

Old
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Gaborik does nothing when he isn't scoring and he's creating no scoring chances.
you just described 95% of the leagues superstars.

unlike them,Gaborik is actually good defensively

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
92hatchattack

Cant wait to come back to this thread when Gabby scores the GWG that sends us to the SCF!

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If we get rid of Gaborik and sign Parise we will REGRESS in the scoring department. The stuff that Parise does that Gaborik does we have plenty of players to do. Parise is a better scoring, better passing Callahan. We already have Callahan. Parise would be nice, but not te expense of Gabby. If not for Gabby's regular season we start the regular season on the road against a tougher team than Ottawa and probably lose in the first round.
wait.....what makes you think Parise wouldn't score 41 playing with Richards and X winger (Hags or whomever)???

I think he would score just as much.....AND THE BRING all the other intangibles to the table. Parise did score 45 couple years ago then 38 before he got hurt. He's now rounding back into form and has many more years of very productive scoring as well as all-around play.

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:17 PM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Cant wait to come back to this thread when Gabby scores the GWG that sends us to the SCF!

I will EAT MY CROW and Enjoy it if that happens......

As a Ranger fan....I won't hold my breath though

Old
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM
evilllempire*

LOL.....i'd love to continue this discussion. But i'm headed to pick up my little guy, then going to the NHL store to drop off couple of Jersey's for customization. Getting my little guy a Kreider (since he's the only forward that's doing anything lately).

BTW.....I already got my little guy a Gaborik Jersey.....So I can't be such a "Gabby Hater" afterall, can I??!!??

PS. I'll be back later for more fun discussion....haha

Old
05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Gabby has been nowhere to be found. The best players on a team should carry them to a title.

Some examples
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Brian Leetch23341.48
Mark Messier23301.30

Let's go further into the future.

How about the 2011 Bruins?
PlayerGPPtsPPG
David Krejci25230.92
Patrice Bergeron23200.87

How about 2010 Chicago Blackhawks?
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Jonathan Toews22291.32
Patrick Kane22281.27

How about 2007 Ducks?
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Ryan Getzlaf21170.81
Teemu Selanne21150.71

Now to our 2012 Rangers (Gaborik is #4 in pts)
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Brad Richards18140.78
Marian Gaborik18100.56

Now do people understand why Gaborik is performing so terribad?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
LOL.....i'd love to continue this discussion. But i'm headed to pick up my little guy, then going to the NHL store to drop off couple of Jersey's for customization. Getting my little guy a Kreider (since he's the only forward that's doing anything lately).

BTW.....I already got my little guy a Gaborik Jersey.....So I can't be such a "Gabby Hater" afterall, can I??!!??

PS. I'll be back later for more fun discussion....haha
Mentioning "my little guy" three times doesn't fool anyone, we all know you are 12 years old

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:26 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Every fanbase has it's whipping boy.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
wait.....what makes you think Parise wouldn't score 41 playing with Richards and X winger (Hags or whomever)???

I think he would score just as much.....AND THE BRING all the other intangibles to the table. Parise did score 45 couple years ago then 38 before he got hurt. He's now rounding back into form and has many more years of very productive scoring as well as all-around play.
Remains to be seen if he can come back to the 40 goal form. Plus he doesn't have a great shot (even Devils fans admit that). A guy like that I don't know if he can score in every system, for every team. I'm weary of replacing a guy that scores 40 more because of his talent with a guy who scores more because of his hard work. If we can have both on the team then by all means.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote