HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Sign Andrew Johnston from Humboldt of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Old
05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Right... when they were too young to play in college.
Quit making uneducated posts. Players have been coming out of Junior A for years.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Right... when they were too young to play in college.
If there is one thing that I wont ever bash homer for, it's his eye for talent.

Read, Gustaffson, Z, Manning, Bourdon, Giroux, Richards, Carter, Marshall, Sbisa, Coburn. Even players like akeson look good at the pro level.

( he was head scout under clarke for G, Cannon and Carter).

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

I agree with Norm. Why would the Flyers waste their time with a guy in the SJHL? Reminds me of the time they got a goalie who posted a 6.57 GAA with Melville of the SJ. One game - against the PA Raiders - he gave up 22 goals! 22! The following year he got to play down the road in Brandon of the WHL for 30-some games and put up a still awful 5.71 GAA in the regular season and an embarrassing 9.71 in the only two playoff games they ever let him start. He was unrated by almost every NHL team and for some stupid reason the Flyers drafted him. Ron Hextall turned into nothing!

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Quit making uneducated posts. Players have been coming out of Junior A for years.
Who's come out of there as an overager? I can't think of anyone, so enlighten me

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Who's come out of there as an overager? I can't think of anyone, so enlighten me
Honestly, how hard is it to have a little faith in the Flyers Scouts. Yes, they miss, but they also hit on undrafted players as much or more than just about every other NHL team, so unless you've seen the guy play extensively, I think it's reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt in this circumstance.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
and for some stupid reason the Flyers drafted him. Ron Hextall turned into nothing!
You, sir, just won this thread.

In another note, a lot of the hatred in this thread is as dramatic and early as that embarrassingly epic "why the hell did the flyers waste a contract on that talentless hack, Matt Read" thread that was on the prospect forum.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I agree with Norm. Why would the Flyers waste their time with a guy in the SJHL? Reminds me of the time they got a goalie who posted a 6.57 GAA with Melville of the SJ. One game - against the PA Raiders - he gave up 22 goals! 22! The following year he got to play down the road in Brandon of the WHL for 30-some games and put up a still awful 5.71 GAA in the regular season and an embarrassing 9.71 in the only two playoff games they ever let him start. He was unrated by almost every NHL team and for some stupid reason the Flyers drafted him. Ron Hextall turned into nothing!
Well played, good Sir Duke.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Honestly, how hard is it to have a little faith in the Flyers Scouts. Yes, they miss, but they also hit on undrafted players as much or more than just about every other NHL team, so unless you've seen the guy play extensively, I think it's reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt in this circumstance.
I hope you're right

Although Flyers had a couple hits, they also have a history of filling up contracts with mediocre players who have no shot, only to be bit in the ass later on. They should use a little discretion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

In another note, a lot of the hatred in this thread is as dramatic and early as that embarrassingly epic "why the hell did the flyers waste a contract on that talentless hack, Matt Read" thread that was on the prospect forum.
Matt Read was a successful college player and Hextall was a late round pick from the WHL. Neither relates at all.

Last edited by Norm MacDonald: 05-22-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Matt Read was a successful college player and Hextall was a late round pick from the WHL. Neither relates at all.
I wasn't comparing Hextall and Read. I was comparing how many people are up in arms now over a low-risk/high-reward Holmgren signing just like the poor fool who started that Matt Read thread.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Flyerfan52

Thanks for the 1st hand opinion jlockhart89. Nice to get an opinion from someone that has actually seen Johnston play.

I see it as a signing to replace 1 of the picks we didn't have. We could get lucky & have another Read on our hands of he could be a dud. But that's the chance you take on any undrafted player signing & (to a lesser degree) draft pick.

SJHL is a good league. It's not the top junior league in Canada (CHL has that distinction) but it's probably equivalent to many of the junior Euro leagues in talent.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm in the "giving Homer the benefit of the doubt" group. Too many smart signings and draft picks to think otherwise. The Reads and Bobs far outweigh the Pithers and Rowes. With signings like this they don't have to all be home runs to be a success.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
FLYguy3911

Couple seasons ago

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I wasn't comparing Hextall and Read. I was comparing how many people are up in arms now over a low-risk/high-reward Holmgren signing just like the poor fool who started that Matt Read thread.
Signing Johnston, who was heading to college as an "old" 20 yr old, is like signing Read out of Jr, before he went, late also, to Bemidji.

Some guys just fall off the radar, it's the scouts jobs to dig deeper and look for talent other teams might have overlooked.

One advantage rich teams have, in a cap world, is that there is no cap on scouting expenditures.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

Couple seasons ago
And from what I've read his game his improved leaps and bounds from when he started in Flin Flon to how he finished this year with the Bronco. A very steady incline.

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
Posted this in the prospects sugning forum as well:

Just my 2 cents, had the priveledge of watching Johnston all year for the Broncos. I wondered several times during the season if he'd get signed to an NHL deal after coming out of college in a few years time, so it's not entirely surprising to me that he got inked to a deal already. He is a silky smooth forward with great offensive instincts and great finish.

He was hands down IMO the top forward in the entire RBC Cup tournament (looking better even then more notable players like Mario Lucia and Wade Murphy from Penticton).

One game in particular he cycled the puck around the Soo Thunderbirds zone for a solid 5 and a half minutes with team mates. They wound up scoring twice during that large period of dominance, but had it not been for tournament MVP John Kleinhans in net Johnston probably could've had 3 or 4 goals in a 6 minute stretch alone.

He finished the tournament with a scoring line of 5 goals and 4 assists in 5 games inlcuding 3 game winners. The guy is clutch and knows how to score. Not sure how his game translates to the pro leagues but he is definitely the best all-around forward I've seen lace up for the Broncos in my time.
Thanks for your post.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
They do better signing these players than the ones they draft, so whatever. Let's actually see him against better competition before we write him off.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
daynus

watched bronc, aj lots this past season.

do not right this guy off. saw teams like north battleford,weyburn, notre dame, portage, woodstock-nb, i will describe him as: some of these games were blow outs. but the ones that were close and could have gone either way, man we need a goal. aj to the rescue. you guys are silly, if you do not think their are a fair number of scouts at these games. i swear i saw ted nolan at the weyburn series, and at the rbc cup. and if it wasnt ted nolan, must have been his twin. you guys dont think the great white north is a great place to scout. madness. turn the corner, you may find a diamond in the rough.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:42 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
I see what you did there.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
at the very worst he can hopefully help out the Phantoms score some goals. really dont know much about this kid.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:26 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
do not right this guy off. saw teams like north battleford,weyburn, notre dame, portage, woodstock-nb, i will describe him as: some of these games were blow outs. but the ones that were close and could have gone either way, man we need a goal. aj to the rescue. you guys are silly, if you do not think their are a fair number of scouts at these games. i swear i saw ted nolan at the weyburn series, and at the rbc cup. and if it wasnt ted nolan, must have been his twin. you guys dont think the great white north is a great place to scout. madness. turn the corner, you may find a diamond in the rough.
Well, Ted Nolan was coaching Latvia during the RBC Cup, so it wasn't him.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:00 AM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, Ted Nolan was coaching Latvia during the RBC Cup, so it wasn't him.
I was at the enitre RBC and while I don't doubt there were scouts in the stands there was definitely no Ted Nolan. Craig Button was there however... as little as that means

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:

Too bad goaltending doesnt matter, right?

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:33 AM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They do better signing these players than the ones they draft, so whatever. Let's actually see him against better competition before we write him off.
Maybe instead of drafting goons who have an upside of being...a goon in the NHL they could use draft picks on players who might have even a 1% chance of being a top-6 d-man or a top 3-line forward.

I have no problem with the signing. It's a shot in the dark, but so is everything. I like it more then using draft picks on goons and then signing those goons and letting longshot prospects go unsigned after being drafted.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
usualsuspect434

Interesting article on Johnston. Fingers crossed he pans out.....

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...497/story.html

usualsuspect434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:40 PM
jfb392

Forgot to post this, but they gave him a decent amount of money, per CapGeek (be aware that that isn't the actual cap hit, it's missing the performance bonuses).
They gave him max AHL salary on an ELC and max signing bonus.

Here's another article on the signing.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote