HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik - ByE HiM OOUtT!

Old
05-22-2012, 05:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Mentioning "my little guy" three times doesn't fool anyone, we all know you are 12 years old
He hit puberty at like 6.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
bmw2004

Should we keep him if we had a garantee that he'll score 40 again next season but will suck in the playoffs again?

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Should we keep him if we had a garantee that he'll score 40 again next season but will suck in the playoffs again?
Is that a serious question?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Gabby has been nowhere to be found. The best players on a team should carry them to a title.

Some examples
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Brian Leetch23341.48
Mark Messier23301.30

Let's go further into the future.

How about the 2011 Bruins?
PlayerGPPtsPPG
David Krejci25230.92
Patrice Bergeron23200.87

How about 2010 Chicago Blackhawks?
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Jonathan Toews22291.32
Patrick Kane22281.27

How about 2007 Ducks?
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Ryan Getzlaf21170.81
Teemu Selanne21150.71

Now to our 2012 Rangers (Gaborik is #4 in pts)
PlayerGPPtsPPG
Brad Richards18140.78
Marian Gaborik18100.56

Now do people understand why Gaborik is performing so terribad?
Well...maybe you should take into consideration the following stat:

Anaheim: G/G: 2.76
Chicago G/G: 3.54
Bruins: G/G: 3.24
Rangers: G/G: 2.11

Of course you could argue that it's partly Gaboriks fault that the scoring is that low...

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:35 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Yup. Then with this new knowledge we trade him at the deadline.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
WHY would you want to utilize him like two totally different players? Everyone knows Kovalchuk and Parise are more valuable players than Gaborik. What deductive genius! Gaborik is going to be less effective than two players who both have physical capabilities far beyond anything he's capable of doing.
I was simply countering the argument that Gaborik is a top tier goal scorer from other HF Ranger fans. Yes, statistically speaking from NHL.com, he is good at scoring goals. But goals and assists really do not tell the whole story. He is being put against very soft competition and is getting very favorable zone starts. I'm fine with that, I really do not care if he's getting the favorable zone starts. What really irks me about his game is that he cant create anything off the rush. He is a predictable player and is not worth his cap hit, despite what the statistics on nhl.com might say. The team is better suited to use his 7.5m cap hit on more depth up front or a 2-way goal scorer like Parise.

Quote:
That's exactly what they should be doing! That's the best possible thing you can do for players like Gaborik! How could you be complaining? That's what you do when you have snipers who don't really do much of anything else: you put them in situations that allow them to do the one reason you dress them in your lineup: score. You don't sign pure goalscorers to play defense or be physical specimens along the boards. Why would you do that? Of course, Kovalchuk is better than Gaborik! He's bigger, much stronger, almost as fast, and not only is his wrist shot as good as Gaborik's, but his slapshot is far, far better. He also doesn't have a variety of serious injuries in his past. But here's the interesting thing about players like Gaborik: only players like Kovalchuk, and there aren't many like him, score goals more than players like Gaborik do. That's why Gaborik is 7th in goals per game among active players. Only Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Jagr, Selanne, and Heatley score more than Gaborik does. 5 automatic Hall of Famers and one guy who was on pace to be for a good 5-6 years. It's also just ahead of Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash, Vanek, Hossa, and Eric Staal. Nash, Vanek, and Staal all make tons of money, and they are all flawed players. Gaborik is a better value than any of them at his cap hit.
Call me crazy, but I take Eric Staal at 8.2 over Gaborik at 7.5 without much hesitation. Of course, I'd prefer to give that money to a Kovalchuk or Correy Perry, but Staal is a cup winner and former 100 pt. player. While his flaws may not be fixable (faceoffs, mobility), he is still a much better overall player than Gaborik.

Quote:
Why not tackle a better issue, like how the Rangers were going to go from being one of the least skilled and talented teams in the league to being able to compete if they didn't sign Gaborik? I didn't want Gaborik signed, and I wanted them to wait to get Kovalchuk, but that's about the only complaint that can reasonably be levied. They needed offense, and they obviously aren't going to get elite players through the draft, so what choice did they have? What would YOU have done? Considering you think Lecavalier is a beast, I shudder at the thought of your answer.
I wanted Sedin twins first and foremost, lol. But I also wanted to trade for Chris Pronger, so that tells you how much I know.

What would I have done? I remember Jason Spezza talking to the media stating that he was open to a trade if needed. I badly wanted Sather to push for him, but I think it was just a bluff to generate summer interest to hockey in Toronto.

I was actually pretty pumped when we signed Gaborik, but after seeing him actually play instead of going by highlights, I learned a valuable lesson. Don't scout players by highlight packages!

Quote:
Actually, standing front of the net and hoping to be spoonfed a perfect pass is the ideal situation for Gaborik. He can't even do that right now, because opponents aren't letting him get to the slot. And guess what, that's exactly the same thing most pure goalscoring snipers do or did. It's what Pavel Bure did most of the time. It's what Mike Gartner did most of the time. If Gaborik is overpaid, what does that make Ovechkin? Nash? Staal? Gomez? Bouwmeester? Lecavalier? Vanek? Heatley? Marleau? He's a better value than any of those players at their respective cap hits.
Pavel Bure actually utilized his speed to break through defenders. When was the last time Gaborik did that? 0 times in the playoffs. All those players are overpaid, but from that list I take Staal over him without hesitation. 50/50 on Lecavalier though.

Quote:
Maybe you mean Lecavalier's contract. It certainly is beastly. There's nothing else "beast" about him. He's a second line center that is a shell of his former self. Hell, he only really had one or two truly great seasons in his career, anyway. Talk about overrated.
His PPG the past 3 yrs puts him top 20 amongst centers. This is with him playing with lesser linemates than he had before Stamkos came in and took St.Louis on his line. He is a very good hockey player and stepped his game up tremendously in the playoffs last year.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:37 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
If that 40 goals helps the Rangers get 1st place in the conference and face the likes of Ottawa and Washington in the first two rounds with home ice then yeah. He hasn't been much worse than Richards either. Both showed up in 1 series.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Kershaw

Would you trade Gaborik for Krejci?

Old
05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hell no.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
No. That probably makes us worse.

(Yes, I know that Krejci had a good playoff run for B's last season.)

But he is FAR more inconsistent than Gaborik. He's soft as well.

He's got great vision though. Maybe we'll actually score on a 3 on 2 with him.

But he's a center. We need strong wingers who can score and don't have meat for brain.

What I'd give to have Patrice Bergeron on this team though. But Boston would never trade him unless you overpay.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
hell no and pass me whatever your toking please

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Should we trade Callahan (who doesn't even have one good round under his belt like Gabby does,) Richie (who's been a no-show so far this round), Hags (no goals) and the entirety of our bottom 6 as well?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Kershaw

Agreed with you all, I wouldn't do it either.

Now if Bergeron or Seguin on the other hand.........

Old
05-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Agreed with you all, I wouldn't do it either.

Now if Bergeron or Seguin on the other hand.........
If Boston out those guys on the table, sign me up!

Old
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Bergeron is a playmaker, not a 30-40 goal scorer. We need finishers.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Should we trade Callahan (who doesn't even have one good round under his belt like Gabby does,) Richie (who's been a no-show so far this round), Hags (no goals) and the entirety of our bottom 6 as well?
absolutely,trade them all and go get us some more Boyles Fedetenkos and Prusts and we will be unstoppable!

Last edited by Rangers4Life74: 05-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:48 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I love when Sting owns people.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Bergeron is a playmaker, not a 30-40 goal scorer. We need finishers.
You could argue that having a great playmaker like him would make it easier for his linemates to score goals. Go check out the highlights for Marchand and Seguin, (who he played with for most of the year.)

A lot of their goals were pretty much gift-wrapped by Bergeron.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
You could argue that having a great playmaker like him would make it easier for his linemates to score goals. Go check out the highlights for Marchand and Seguin, (who he played with for most of the year.)

I love Bergeron, and I think he's been pretty underrated for a while (before the Broon's won the cup, at least) but...

who would he be passing to?

Old
05-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post

Fair point, but I'm not sure that the 20 goals we'd be losing from Gaborik could be made up by whoever Bergeron's 2 linemates would be.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Fair point, but I'm not sure that the 20 goals we'd be losing from Gaborik could be made up by whoever Bergeron's 2 linemates would be.
Definitely agree. People can complain about Gabby all they want but the fact is nobody else has stepped up to lead this team offensively either.

We're a poor offensive team- getting a playmaker while losing a sniper would not help that in one bit.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Fanned On It

I know this thread is about Gaborik but if one more person mentions Richards not showing up in this round I'm going to kill someone... you people act like he can create offense all by himself... like he has some super-power where he can duplicate himself and pass to himself and then pass BACK to himself for a sick one-timer.

I get why people are pissed off about Gabby. He hasn't done much for us this playoffs and he SHOULD be shooting the puck more. On the rush he just skates into the middle of the ice and lets the other team poke check the puck away from him. He also seems to have lost quite a bit of speed during the playoffs, probably because he's tired. He doesn't have that same explosiveness we saw from him during the regular season. He can never just turn on the jets and blaze by a defender going wide.

It's probably a confidence issue mixed with fatigue, which are two things I feel like a lot of this team is suffering from right now. Scary when Kreider looks more confident than the rest of the team.

All of this sucks, but that doesn't mean we should be talking about trading Gabby or anything hasty like that. Let's see how this plays out.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I love Bergeron, and I think he's been pretty underrated for a while (before the Broon's won the cup, at least) but...

who would he be passing to?
Now, I know that the general consensus is that we have a bunch of guys with doorknobs for hands, and that's why we can't score, but the reality is, we have trouble generating high quality chances in the first place. That's why we don't score, not because we miss empty nets all the time. I think Kreider-Bergeron-Callahan(when he's not asleep) would be a pretty boss line.

Not to mention, he's winning the Selke this year, no question about it. The way I see it, the Selke is more of an award for the player who is best able to create offense from his defense. If it were solely based on defense, Blair Betts would have a shot. Our transition game would improve.

But if I could pick anyone out of Boston, I'd pick Seguin. Young, fast winger who can create offense for himself and his linemates, and is only 19!

Old
05-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Callahan and Richards each have similar threads. You'll have to start one for Hagelin.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Other than these four games, Richards has been the MVP of the playoffs (for our offense). Hagelin has been disappointing, I won't lie. Callahan contributes in many different facets of the game. He doesn't need to be scoring goals to be an effective player. This is not the case with Gaborik. If he isn't scoring, he's a liability. He isn't physical. He isn't particularly good along the boards. He doesn't kill penalties or play defense in even the most general sense of the word.

Gaborik is paid a lot of money for one thing and one thing only: to be our sniper. If you're going to have such a one-dimensional player in the lineup, he better be firing on all cylinders when it comes to the ECF. He's been pretty atrocious all playoffs.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote