HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why is nothing said about Kovelchucks spearing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
  #26
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
That was a good call. They did it because it really wasn't hard or vicious enough to warrant a 5 minute major.
That's not the standard. Rupp's 'shove' on Brodeur wasn't vicious or hard, but it got a penalty. Cally's tap to the side of Kovalchuk's head wasn't hard or vicious, but it got a penalty. They held every other cheesy penalty up to the strictest interpretation but they used liberal, pansy discretion on that one spear.

Honestly, it wasn't bad and a major is excessive, but it should have been just Ilya in the box. Turn your eye on the spear, you gotta over look the love tap. Brown gets an ax handle to the back of the leg and he somehow receives a diving penalty because those refs tried to make it a game. That's how discretion works for 29 other teams. Last night is an example of our standards.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:55 PM
  #27
HagsSwag
Registered User
 
HagsSwag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Its a ******* move, anyone who has played the game knows it is a huge nono. Wish Rupp would have sent a message to Kovy instead of Marty. It is getting a bit embarrassing.

HagsSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:58 PM
  #28
Hockeyplayer99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country:
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Nothing being said about it the same way nothing was said about the Parise or Zubrus elbow. More was said about fatso lightly being pushed by Rupp and falling back like he was shot

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:18 PM
  #29
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,888
vCash: 500
I guess spearing is the new slashing. Just like interference is now when you blast someone into next week away from the puck, but not if you hold a guy up, and slashing is not when to bruise a guy's hands or ankles, but if his stick happens to break, you are in the box. Typical NHL baloney.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
  #30
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
I don't care if it wasn't excessive enough for a major. Rules say that whenever you spear someone, and you touch them, it's a major. Apparently, spearing is the new slashing.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
  #31
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
There is no minor penalty for spearing. The thing is, the dumbass refs called it a slash instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
That was a good call. They did it because it really wasn't hard or vicious enough to warrant a 5 minute major.
Rulebook should really be amended to allow for a minor or at least double minor for spearing. really all this play was worth.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
  #32
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Rulebook should really be amended to allow for a minor or at least double minor for spearing. really all this play was worth.
Double minor for spearing only exists if you tried to spear, but failed. Major if you succeed. It's really black and white. Yet the refs still screw it up.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
  #33
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Double minor for spearing only exists if you tried to spear, but failed. Major if you succeed. It's really black and white. Yet the refs still screw it up.
Yes this is why I say it should be amended.

By the book it was the wrong call..... by the book there are hundreds of wrong calls every game, heck almost by period.

Ref felt the contact wasn't worthy of a major penalty. His other option would have been to disregard it all together.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:58 PM
  #34
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Yes this is why I say it should be amended.

By the book it was the wrong call..... by the book there are hundreds of wrong calls every game, heck almost by period.

Ref felt the contact wasn't worthy of a major penalty. His other option would have been to disregard it all together.
Ref thought it was slashing....which it sure wasn't. You don't slash with the tip of your blade. I don't care what the ref feels. It's up to the linesmen to decide if calls such as boarding are minors or majors. It wasn't a slash. Therefore, it's a spear, and it's 5 minutes in the box for Kovy. I they want to change the rule in the actual rule book, fine. Don't just change it on the ice in the middle of is game. Bush league.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
  #35
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Ref thought it was slashing....which it sure wasn't. You don't slash with the tip of your blade. I don't care what the ref feels. It's up to the linesmen to decide if calls such as boarding are minors or majors. It wasn't a slash. Therefore, it's a spear, and it's 5 minutes in the box for Kovy. I they want to change the rule in the actual rule book, fine. Don't just change it on the ice in the middle of is game. Bush league.
Ref knew what he saw, pretty sure he called it a slash, although didn't necessarily see a slash.

All I can say to you if the players were reversed and a Rangers player did this, would you feel as strongly?

I can say that either way, Devil or Ranger, I agree with the call....... can you say the same? Can you say you would equally disagree?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
  #36
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Rulebook should really be amended to allow for a minor or at least double minor for spearing. really all this play was worth.
Or Ref's discrection.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
  #37
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Ref knew what he saw, pretty sure he called it a slash, although didn't necessarily see a slash.

All I can say to you if the players were reversed and a Rangers player did this, would you feel as strongly?

I can say that either way, Devil or Ranger, I agree with the call....... can you say the same? Can you say you would equally disagree?
I don't know where you see a slash. I see a spear. I'm not calling for a suspension or fine. I'm calling for the ref to see a SPEAR, and call it as such. Obviously not why we lost. But I'd like to see an NHL game be called in accordance with NHL rules.

Is that too much to ask for?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  #38
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Didn't like this pansy move at all. Spearing in the balls is probably the most classless clean thing you can do in a game. If this makes sense. lol

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #39
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I don't know where you see a slash. I see a spear. I'm not calling for a suspension or fine. I'm calling for the ref to see a SPEAR, and call it as such. Obviously not why we lost. But I'd like to see an NHL game be called in accordance with NHL rules.

Is that too much to ask for?
Obviously I didn't see a slash.........

So if the players were reversed you'd still be crying for a major?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:53 PM
  #40
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Obviously I didn't see a slash.........

So if the players were reversed you'd still be crying for a major?
Not as much, because of the homer in me, but I would wonder why NHL refs can't get a simple call right. I mean, it's written in black and white in the Rules.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
  #41
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
That was a good call. They did it because it really wasn't hard or vicious enough to warrant a 5 minute major.
u sound like Shannahan,justifying a play how u want to put it...A spear is a spear,end of story man.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
  #42
NewYorkRangers89*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Nothing will be done because Kovalchuk did it, star players get nothing, remember the Ovechkin hit on Girardi?

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
  #43
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
u sound like Shannahan,justifying a play how u want to put it...A spear is a spear,end of story man.
At least someone gets it! If you spear someone, it should be an automatic major. It's not up to interpretation, like boarding is. It's in the rule book. But they screw it up anyway.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
  #44
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
At least someone gets it! If you spear someone, it should be an automatic major. It's not up to interpretation, like boarding is. It's in the rule book. But they screw it up anyway.
The NHL makes their own life harder. A spear is quite recognizable, and the refs should feel good calling it, just like anybody should feel good about doing their job well. A spear is very unsportsmanlike and not a regular hockey play like a slash.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:00 AM
  #45
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Um, wasn't the reason he did that because Cally mushed his face with his glove? If someone mushed my face with their glove while I was on my ass I'd probably give them a whack with my stick as well.

What I don't get is why Kovalchuk didn't get called to begin with for cross-checking Cally from behind which was the REASON Cally pushed his face.
A little whack, ok. But spearing is something altogether different.

I don't think for a second there should've been any supplemental discipline. But it WITHOUT A DOUBT should've been a 5 minute major, no matter how hard or soft someone perceived it to have been. It's a spear. It's clearly defined in the rulebook. It's there because what you tolerate you teach, and the NHL chose to find spearing to be intolerable, to the level of deeming it a 5 minute major. The ref went against what is mandated and in doing so now lowered the bar that spearing is intolerable only to the level of a 2 minute minor. See, if done right, a spear could be worth every second of a 2 minute minor from the players point of view, meaning they got their money's worth. But it would almost never be worth a 5 minute major.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:38 AM
  #46
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,780
vCash: 500
It's the playoffs -- it was far closer to a tap than a violent stab with the stick. You by-the-book people are coming off as being really whiny about demanding a major.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
  #47
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
A spear is probably one of the rarest calls/committed infractions in the game. Might have something to do with the severity of the punishment. That's the point of penalties, to deter which in this case seems like a success. I wouldn't touch the rule book here. Not really a discretion call but whatever. I'm sure if they reduced the penalty minutes you'll see more spears.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:50 AM
  #48
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,802
vCash: 500
anyone got a video of the play?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
  #49
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,026
vCash: 873
Not surprised it got a penalty, but I was in no way shape or form looking for a major there.

Looked like a love tap to me.

Callay looked like he reacted the way he did cause the refs were there because he wasn't hurt long.

Most of the posters here are men and we ALL know that there is a bit of pain when getting hit in the berries. Callahan overreacted in my opinion and then when he realzed that the ref was not going to call it, he was all better?

cheap little play by Kovy there, but nothing worth looking at at the NHL level.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  #50
ck20
Registered User
 
ck20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
anyone got a video of the play?

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.