HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Nick Leddy

Old
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

vCash: 500
Nick Leddy

Hello Hawks fans. I was wondering, after 2 years of watching Nick Leddy, what are your guys thoughts on him? And where does he fit in the future plan of the Hawks?

Thanks for any input.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Rexy

He's decent offensively, terrible in his own end. He needs more defensive awareness, and is too easy to take off the puck. He has great potential, I'm just hoping he reaches it.

Q is ****ing with his development by putting him on the PK

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:47 AM
Sevanston

Good shot, doesn't use it enough.
Great skater.
He can already hang with some of the best in terms of rushing the puck into the zone, but he doesn't do it enough.
Skittish in his own end.
Not awful positionally, but very weak on the boards.
Has never had a single right to be on the PK, but Q kept him there all year.

Overall, that's not bad for a 21 year old in the NHL. Still plenty of room for improvement, but he's shown a lot of potential.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

you can see that he needs more time and experience. His D needs to get better and I don't see a reason why it won't improve.
His offense is good already. Kid is something special and this will be remembered as Bowmans best trade.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Will be a very solid second pairing puck mover in a few years.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:24 AM
ndgt10

I think he is very overrated around here. He is weak on his stick and terrible in his own end. He lacks awareness around the net and doesn't have the strength to clear players from the crease. Basically a slightly better Campoli. He has the upside to be a solid number 4.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
His upside is to be Brian Campbell and I think he will reach that in a couple more seasons. For now, he's someone you want on your third pairing while he learns the defensive side of the game and give him a ton of PP time. He really needs to add some muscle though. He seems to have a small frame, like Kruger, but he just needs to find a way because he gets physically dominated by forwards with size.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
MagicSlap*

His upside is a 2nd pairing PMD. Really needs to work on his play in his own end, that comes from gaining strength, working on his positioning and being overall a tougher player to play against. Plenty of smaller d men thrive in the NHL by being great positionally and with their sticks and tricky along the boards, Leddy needs to develop that. His offensive instincts are great though and he is already a very good puck rusher and has a nice shot. Needs to get comfortable using them and he'll be fine. Should never, ever have gotten the playing time and PK time he did this year.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
hawksfan50

i) "Kid is something special" says a poster above --WELL MAYBE he turns into another Erik Karlsson -but I'm skeptical of how much better he will be offensively--I see nothing special about him helping our woeful PP (so far)--MAYbe I'm wrong but unless he scores a lot more GOALS aand lots of PP points ---can we carry a defensive liability who now gets shoved off pucks so easily and can't clear guys from in fronrt of our net--so what is he now? A classic "offenseman" who is yet only a half-Karlsson who may or may not ever add that missing half of the "next level" AND a d-man in development on D who should improve in processing the p;ay (as all do with more experience) BUT who may or may never get to the level of strength required to no longer get manhandled in the grind partof the game on the boards and in front of the crease... IF the "o" increases to Karlsson-like proportions it will naturally improve his+/- ;if his offense plateaus with maybe only a 25% increase and his defense only gets 25% better from processing the plays better but the strength never gets good enough such that he won't get shoved off pucks or be so ineffecyive trying to move bodies in the crease area of the Hawks net,THEN we get a somewhat better player but nowhere near "special" ...
Another factor willbe HOW LONG for his full development? Will he explode offensively as Karlsson did last season or just improve say 10-15 pts more then hit his plateau?
I do not think the hawks can keep claiming his full explosion to max potential is still 3-4 yearsaway because 'he is so young" -I'm not saying he mustshow special THIS YEAR--but surely by the 2013/14 season or else i'm afraid "special" will NEVER show...IF he is going to be special he must play top 4 and be featured on the pp..NO 5-6 d-man is ever "special" ...so we shall see if the talent projected ever materializes or not... My own hunch is--he is NOT SPECIAL but it is up to him to prove my hunch wrong.. I hope he does,but my skeptical nature prevents me from going gaga over him like some of the posters here who swallow the Hawks hype machine prospect/young guy over estimates hollus bollus...For now I'm not buymg the hype--I don't see him dominate the attack in the o=zone like Karlsson can control the play -which IS "special" --so untill Leddy does anything 'difference-making" and so threatening to oponents that they must stop him above all others on the team to stymie the Hawks attack- until he gets to that level of threat-I think opponents just think of him as not very special at all -not a "difference-maker" ...Will he stay in such a lowly status or explode into greatness or merely just improve a bit? I think we willdefinitely know the answers within the next 2 seasons..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Will be a very solid second pairing puck mover in a few years.
He IS a solid PMD for the second pair already. His D will improve with time and he will be one of the best 2nd Pair PMDs around the league

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
I think he is very overrated around here. He is weak on his stick and terrible in his own end. He lacks awareness around the net and doesn't have the strength to clear players from the crease. Basically a slightly better Campoli. He has the upside to be a solid number 4.
you hate everything about the Hawks... you really want them to lose and hate them

Old
05-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
He IS a solid PMD for the second pair already. His D will improve with time and he will be one of the best 2nd Pair PMDs around the league
solid implies that a gust of wind won't knock him off the puck.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Really, he is not as bad as some say he is... he is not a liability, he is not years away and he does not belong to the A as some think

Old
05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Really, he is not as bad as some say he is... he is not a liability, he is not years away and he does not belong to the A as some think
this. I firmly believe that with competent coaching he'll be fine. He's already the best puck moving dman on the team.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Rexy

Quote:
I don't think he belongs in the A (you can't send him down after 1.5 years in the NHL anyway) And I think he shows flashes of brilliance in the attacking zone. I also think he's a huge liability in his own zone though.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Hawksfly2gether

Looks better when he plays with another solid d-men i.e. not oduya. Why those two were used together at even strength is beyond me. What has always got me is how leddy shows so much speed skating with the puck but it seems like he gets worn out from this and then say the team gets the puck going the opposite way after he rushed it up, now he's too gassed to hang with the opposing teams rush, and there goes a 2 on 1.. so I want to see his endurance improve for this next year, of course aside from the obvious needed improvements in his def. awareness and strength. Looking up... he's a 21 yo defender.. not many are capable of playing at this level at that age.. to say he isn't special is a major dis to what this kid provides our team. yes he has been a big liability on the ice at times, but he has always made some really big plays on d as well. Hoping his future stays bright.

Hawksfly2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
He is not a liability in the offensive zone, he is a good asset there. Same can be said for the PP. The same, however, cannot be said for his d zone play and him on the PK (it's laughable he was played there last season). I'm not saying he should not be on the team but to say he's ready for second pairing minutes is just silly, and, as another poster pointed out, his play actually regressed throughout the year, kid lost a ton of confidence. He should not be in the AHL but he should not be on the second pairing.

He is a liability in the defensive zone, simple as that. Weak along the boards and in front of the net and not great positionally, yet. Give him time and we will be but on a contender like the Hawks we cannot afford to play him on the 2nd pairing.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfly2gether View Post
Looks better when he plays with another solid d-men i.e. not oduya. Why those two were used together at even strength is beyond me.
Leddy's play with Oduya was some of his best the entire season.

It was when he was with Hjalmarsson that he really struggled.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:18 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Leddy's play with Oduya was some of his best the entire season.

It was when he was with Hjalmarsson that he really struggled.

leddy and oduya together was horrible.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post

leddy and oduya together was horrible.
Against the rougher teams, like the Blues, Predators, and definitely the Coyotes, yes.

But their play against every other team was a huge factor in our late season surge.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Kid is something special and this will be remembered as Bowmans best trade.
I really hope not. It was a good trade, as I'd take Leddy any day over Barker. If it ends up being Bowman's best trade that means Stan is getting burned or not making trades for impact players in the future.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I really hope not. It was a good trade, as I'd take Leddy any day over Barker. If it ends up being Bowman's best trade that means Stan is getting burned or not making trades for impact players in the future.

How man gm's can boast they managed to trade a guy who's currently being healthy scratched on non-playoff teams for a 21yr old dman playing 22min a night and scored 37 pts? BTW, Leddy was the secondary piece in that trade.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Rexy

Quote:

How man gm's can boast they managed to trade a guy who's currently being healthy scratched on non-playoff teams for a 21yr old dman playing 22min a night and scored 37 pts? BTW, Leddy was the secondary piece in that trade.
Tallon could say that many times.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:51 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
Tallon could say that many times.
orly?

name one player.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Rexy

Quote:
orly?

name one player.
He traded Brandon Bochenski for Kris Versteeg
He traded Matt Elison for Patrick Sharp
He traded...oh, wait, you only wanted one.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
madgoat33

so no 21yr old dman? That's what I thought.