HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

FINAL: Where does Nash end up?

Old
05-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Wyh do people think the Jackets would trade Nash for something like Krejci, Peverley and Thomas?

Do people actively refuse to view the trade from both teams point of view or do they just not possess the mental capability to do it?
Go on...and first know that I'm a CBJ fan.

Also, you're missing the 2012 first-rounder.

And for the reasoning, I explained it a couple of times in this thread.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Go on...and first know that I'm a CBJ fan.

Also, you're missing the 2012 first-rounder.

And for the reasoning, I explained it a couple of times in this thread.
I guess watching a team lose for all those years has sucked the life and logic out of you as a Jackets fan.

Teams don't trade franchise players and captains for 2nd line centers, 38 year old goalies, depth forwards and what could very well be the 30th overall draft choice.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I guess watching a team lose for all those years has sucked the life and logic out of you as a Jackets fan.

Teams don't trade franchise players and captains for 2nd line centers, 38 year old goalies, depth forwards and what could very well be the 30th overall draft choice.
Um, Boston's first-rounder is 24th overall.

I also think that you're oversimplifying both sides of the deal.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Um, Boston's first-rounder is 24th overall.

I also think that you're oversimplifying both sides of the deal.
I was going under the impression the trade would take place in the Summer since it's quite obvious the Bruins would try to sign Parise through free agency before giving up assets for Nash.

And the difference between the 24th and the 30th pick is very little.

Not oversimplifying anything, that proposed deal would be akin to franchise suicide by the Jackets. They'd be far better served keeping a non emotionally invested Nash for the next 7 years than to accept that deal. if they wait it out either a team will get desperate, or Nash will get desperate to leave and open his NTC stance. Or maybe the team improves and Nash realizes that staying the course is the best move for everyone.

All 3 options are better than that trade.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Spice Trader

The chances Nash plays one more game in a cbj uni are VERY small.

His GM pretty much ratted him out to save his image.. IF he had any loyalty left to the organization (not the fans) its gone after that MAJOR goof by the GM.

Secondly How often to disgruntled players have a change of heart and decide to stay after publicly asking to be moved.. again i cant think of one..

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:30 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
The chances Nash plays one more game in a cbj uni are VERY small.

His GM pretty much ratted him out to save his image.. IF he had any loyalty left to the organization (not the fans) its gone after that MAJOR goof by the GM.

Secondly How often to disgruntled players have a change of heart and decide to stay after publicly asking to be moved.. again i cant think of one..
if the Jackets can't find a suitable deal to make they are better served telling Nash to show up to play and hopefully the market will open up for him a bit more as teams get desperate.

The chances that you actaully know how many games Nash will play with the CBJ is zero.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:23 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhabib View Post
I think Nash will go to SJ in a deal for Marleau + Couture +
I'm not a Sharks fan, but giving up "Marleau + Couture +" doesn't make sense to me.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
I'm not a Sharks fan, but giving up "Marleau + Couture +" doesn't make sense to me.
I do like Nash, but I'd take either of those guys by themselves over him if given the choice.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Scurr

Quote:

Were you alive when Joe Thronton got traded? How about Brad Richards? Danny Heatley? Roberto Luongo? Ray Bourque?

Or put it another way, what franchise player has been traded for fair value?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Will Nash get a better return than Heatley? Absolutely yes. He's a better player, and Columbus is in a better position than Ottawa was. Will Nash get as good a return as he could have without a trade request, NTC, and fair salary? No, not even close.
This is a fair statement. However, there are many who are overstating the "no, not even close" part.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
thrillermiller89

he'll get dealt for...

Pavelski, Murray, and Greiss

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
he'll get dealt for...

Pavelski, Murray, and Greiss
Columbus doesnt think twice about that. Makes perfect sense for Columbus, not sure if SJ would do it. Another deal I think Columbus would accept yet not sure if Boston would accept would be Krejci and Rask for Nash.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Southlake

Have a feeling he'll end up with the Sharks. Our GM is desperate for a big flashy move to sell to our owners and fans as the next key to the cup. Plus, think he's putting a lot of faith into his previous play with Thornton.

I'm not going to belittle Nash or his talent, or say something idiotic like I wouldn't trade him for a bag of pucks. I won't even try to argue that someone else is better. I just think his contract, and what we'll need to give up to get him, will ultimately hurt us more than his talent will help us. (with that said, if he does land here, yes, I am excited to see what he would do with Thornton, though I doubt it will be as prolific as some are predicting)

I think Wilson will either overpay in some kind of deal structured around Pavelski, or completely fleece the Jackets with a deal structured around Niemi or Clowe. Though it's highly unlikely, I wouldn't even be completely shocked if he changed his mind on giving up Couture.

Have a feeling fans on one side will be reaching for pitchforks, and the other side will be laughing all the way to the bank. Whoever's desperation is more obvious will lose out big time.

Southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I do like Nash, but I'd take either of those guys by themselves over him if given the choice.
Honestly? You rather take Patrick Marleau over Rick Nash?

Old
05-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlake View Post
Have a feeling he'll end up with the Sharks. Our GM is desperate for a big flashy move to sell to our owners and fans as the next key to the cup. Plus, think he's putting a lot of faith into his previous play with Thornton.

I'm not going to belittle Nash or his talent, or say something idiotic like I wouldn't trade him for a bag of pucks. I won't even try to argue that someone else is better. I just think his contract, and what we'll need to give up to get him, will ultimately hurt us more than his talent will help us. (with that said, if he does land here, yes, I am excited to see what he would do with Thornton, though I doubt it will be as prolific as some are predicting)

I think Wilson will either overpay in some kind of deal structured around Pavelski, or completely fleece the Jackets with a deal structured around Niemi or Clowe. Though it's highly unlikely, I wouldn't even be completely shocked if he changed his mind on giving up Couture.

Have a feeling fans on one side will be reaching for pitchforks, and the other side will be laughing all the way to the bank. Whoever's desperation is more obvious will lose out big time.
You make a solid point but I dont think Howson will change his price for Nash to Clowe and Niemi. He's clearly asking for Pavs/Couture as the starting piece. I dont think for a second they'll give up Couture and Im perfectly content with Pavelski. He'd be a great addition to the Americans were building with JJ Umby Cam etc.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Columbus doesnt think twice about that. Makes perfect sense for Columbus, not sure if SJ would do it. Another deal I think Columbus would accept yet not sure if Boston would accept would be Krejci and Rask for Nash.
now that i think about it, doug wilson is famous for besting GM's in trades....

instead of pavelski, it'll probably be clowe... so clowe, murray, and greiss for nash is more likely... but Howson should demand Pavs

Old
05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
now that i think about it, doug wilson is famous for besting GM's in trades....

instead of pavelski, it'll probably be clowe... so clowe, murray, and greiss for nash is more likely... but Howson should demand Pavs
I cant see Howson taking that with the way he denied the Rangers...I think they deserve Pavs for Nash.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:51 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
I cant see Howson taking that with the way he denied the Rangers...I think they deserve Pavs for Nash.
fair enough. they should ask for pavelski. i wouldnt settle for clowe either.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:16 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Honestly? You rather take Patrick Marleau over Rick Nash?
Absolutely, he makes a million yes and is a better overall player, and that's hard to argue.

People love to point out how Nash scored 41 goals. Well Marleau has scored 44 and had an 86 point season (Nash's best is 79). Plus Marleau is a premier defensive forward.

If Nash was signed for 6.9 for that term, yah I'd take Nash. But Marleau will certainly re-sign for the same or likely less, and is a much better value for a better player. Nash's term is meaningless when you are discussing Marleau since we know for a fact he will re-sign.

I know people love to scoff at this, but really, value wise, the only players in our top-6 I would put Nash in front of are Clowe and Havlat.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Absolutely, he makes a million yes and is a better overall player, and that's hard to argue.

People love to point out how Nash scored 41 goals. Well Marleau has scored 44 and had an 86 point season (Nash's best is 79). Plus Marleau is a premier defensive forward.

If Nash was signed for 6.9 for that term, yah I'd take Nash. But Marleau will certainly re-sign for the same or likely less, and is a much better value for a better player. Nash's term is meaningless when you are discussing Marleau since we know for a fact he will re-sign.

I know people love to scoff at this, but really, value wise, the only players in our top-6 I would put Nash in front of are Clowe and Havlat.
My god. Nash is in the top 5 goals scored in the past few years playing with absolutely no one while Marleau is with Joe Thornton. Are you honestly just disregarding this huge factor? Nash would score 45+ next to Joe. Im not going to debate this bc truly its beyond laughable. Not to mention Nash is younger...

Old
05-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Arrch

Quote:
As reasons already stated, you're not going to find many Sharks fans who would even do Pavs for Nash straight up, let alone adding.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
O4GM

TML-Nash
CLB-Macarthur,Frattin,Franson,5th overall pick

TML-1st overall
EDM-Schenn,Kadri,2013 1st, & 3rd

Draft-

TML-Yakupov
CLB-Galchenyuk
MTL-Grigorenko
NYI-Murray
CLB-Forseberg

O4GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Southlake

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know that it will really come down to CBJ getting what they deserve for Nash. With the success that some of the teams on his list have had, they're less likely to be making a huge move for him. Less teams bidding brings the price down. Plus, when Howson admitted that Nash asked for a trade, he showed his hand. It doesn't decrease the value significantly, but I think it does shift the balance of power in negotiations now that buyers know what's motivating the sale. Then, as has been discussed, the issue that franchise players almost never go for what they're worth.

As a side note, nice to see a Jackets fan who doesn't need to hate on Pavelski. He's a phenomenal player, and I'll be pretty upset to see him go if he gets traded. You guys will be lucky to get him (if you do)

Southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4GM View Post
TML-Nash

TML-1st overall
EDM-Schenn,Kadri,2013 1st, & 3rd

Draft-

TML-Yakupov
CLB-Galchenyuk
MTL-Grigorenko
NYI-Murray
CLB-Forseberg
Well, there's exactly one worthwhile piece in that first deal (5th overall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlake View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know that it will really come down to CBJ getting what they deserve for Nash. With the success that some of the teams on his list have had, they're less likely to be making a huge move for him. Less teams bidding brings the price down. Plus, when Howson admitted that Nash asked for a trade, he showed his hand. It doesn't decrease the value significantly, but I think it does shift the balance of power in negotiations now that buyers know what's motivating the sale. Then, as has been discussed, the issue that franchise players almost never go for what they're worth.
I maintain that who asked for what has very little impact. Dean Lombardi admitted that he had talked to Scott Howson about Nash, but never had any idea if the Kings were even on "the list". There has been nothing truly substantial about who's on "the list"; for all we know, it could be the five smallest cities in the NHL.

As the playoffs are drawing to a close, and teams are better assessing where exactly they stand and keeping an eye on CBA chatter, the market has the potential to get very interesting. There are probably 29 teams bidding to some extent, rather than 5. And talking openly about who asked for what was probably a lot more calculated than most people think...if it didn't burn that bridge, then it forces "the list" to be expanded.

Quote:
As a side note, nice to see a Jackets fan who doesn't need to hate on Pavelski. He's a phenomenal player, and I'll be pretty upset to see him go if he gets traded. You guys will be lucky to get him (if you do)
None of us dislike Pavelski. I don't think saying that Nash is a better player is anything against Pavelski...heck, in my case, I've got a Waterloo Blackhawks jersey that I'm just waiting to get customized with his name and number.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4GM View Post
TML-Nash
Go away.

Quote:
There has been nothing truly substantial about who's on "the list"; for all we know, it could be the five smallest cities in the NHL.
I'm not up on my current city size rankings. Does that still include us?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote