HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012-13 Contracts

Old
05-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
2012-13 Contracts

Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what the current contract situation looks like going into next season (currently).

NHL rules prohibit a team from having more than 50 players under contract at a given time. This applies solely to NHL one-way or two-way contracts; players signed to AHL-only deals, even if it's with an NHL team's affiliate (in this case, Springfield) do not count toward the limit. A player on an entry-level deal that may slide into the next year does not count toward the limit if he's in juniors; no one on Columbus meets that qualification, but it is how Philly had 51 players under contract last season.

This also refers to contracts only. If a player is qualified and becomes a restricted free agent, he does not count against the 50-contract limit until he actually signs a deal. In the interim, he'd be on the reserve list, which also has a limit. Due to some questions over whether certain European players are held on the reserve list, I can't provide that definitively right now.

Signed for 2012-13 (46 contracts)
Anisimov, Artem
Atkinson, Cam
Aucoin, Adrian
Audy-Marchessault, Jonathan
Bass, Cody
Blomqvist, Anton
Bobrovsky, Sergei
Boll, Jared
Brassard, Derick
Calvert, Matt
Chaput, Michael
Collins, Sean
Dorsett, Derek
Drazenovic, Nick
Dubinsky, Brandon
Erixon, Tim
Foligno, Nick
Gabriel, Oliver
Gillies, Colton
Goloubef, Cody
Hansen, Jake
Holden, Nick
Jenner, Boone - slide risk
Johansen, Ryan
Johnson, Jack
Joudrey, Andrew
Kubalik, Tomas
Letestu, Mark
MacKenzie, Derek
Madaisky, Austin
Mason, Steve
McElhinney, Curtis
Moore, John
Murray, Ryan - slide risk
Nikitin, Nikita
Prospal, Vaclav
Prout, Dalton
Russell, Ryan
Ruth, Theo
Savard, David
Smith, Dalton
Tyutin, Fedor
Umberger, RJ
Weber, Will
Wisniewski, James
York, Allen

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 07-24-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what the current contract situation looks like going into next season (currently).

NHL rules prohibit a team from having more than 50 players under contract at a given time. This applies solely to NHL one-way or two-way contracts; players signed to AHL-only deals, even if it's with an NHL team's affiliate (in this case, Springfield) do not count toward the limit. A player on an entry-level deal that may slide into the next year does not count toward the limit if he's in juniors; no one on Columbus meets that qualification, but it is how Philly had 51 players under contract last season.

This also refers to contracts only. If a player is qualified and becomes a restricted free agent, he does not count against the 50-contract limit until he actually signs a deal. In the interim, he'd be on the reserve list, which also has a limit. Due to some questions over whether certain European players are held on the reserve list, I can't provide that definitively right now.
Boone Jenner ??

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Boone Jenner ??
Indeed.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
FlaggerX

Jenner is signed, if I remember correctly.

Okay, sign Dorsett and Nikitin.
Make reasonable offers for DMac, Russell, Dex (2-way-- he needs to work some before getting in an NHL net) and Lebda.

Offer Huse $1.5 mil. Consider it a gamble. If he stays healthy we get a 60 point winger for cheap. If he doesn't we're not out that much. If he goes somewhere else for more, more power to him.

Qualifying offers for Boll (I think he's about used up), Mayorov and maybe Hunwick.

Really, I don't think we need worry to much about the rest.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Mayorov went to Russia right? Should we still qualify him to retain his rights?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Nikita Filatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
Jenner is signed, if I remember correctly.

Okay, sign Dorsett and Nikitin.
Make reasonable offers for DMac, Russell, Dex (2-way-- he needs to work some before getting in an NHL net) and Lebda.

Offer Huse $1.5 mil. Consider it a gamble. If he stays healthy we get a 60 point winger for cheap. If he doesn't we're not out that much. If he goes somewhere else for more, more power to him.

Qualifying offers for Boll (I think he's about used up), Mayorov and maybe Hunwick.

Really, I don't think we need worry to much about the rest.
Unfortunately I believe there's no chance that he's signed. I read towards the bottom of a dispatch article that Howson has already told Huselius he won't be resigned.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
I'd say yes.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'd say yes.
Agree, perhaps he's a late, late, late bloomer... one never knows.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:09 AM
chunkbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agree, perhaps he's a late, late, late bloomer... one never knows.
cut him loose ... he was never given a chance with the CBJ anyway never will

i am done with Boll too ... there is no need to have both he and Dorse and i would much rather have Dorse

and yea give Nikki6 whatever he wants

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Nordique

Got to get McKenzie, Nikitin, and Dorse resigned, which shouldn't be hard to do since 2 of them are RFA's.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Boone Jenner ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Indeed.
Yeah, forgot about Jenner. When I was putting the list together, I somehow looked at his name and thought "Ottawa 67s, overage season", which of course is Dalton Smith.

Quote:
I think so. The reserve list is 80 (combined NHL contracts, NHL contracts that slide, and unsigned players with rights possessed by the team), so there's no harm in qualifying him to retain rights.

What's been forgotten over time is that Mayorov was a pretty highly-touted prospect who chilled badly because of the Russian factor. Cherapanov was a consensus top-5 prospect, and Mayorov was around 15. If I remember right, Cherapanov was actually tabbed as the best prospect from January to March of 2007.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Unfortunately I believe there's no chance that he's signed. I read towards the bottom of a dispatch article that Howson has already told Huselius he won't be resigned.
Which, to me, is just plain dumb.
I have a hard time believing Huselius will sign for any more than $1.5-2m on a one year deal. Why not sign him here? It's not like we're contending for the Cup and God knows we will need a top six winger.

So if he comes back and he's not healthy- so what, let the insurance pay his salary. If he comes back and does average to above average, trade him at the deadline or keep him. If he comes back and plays like crap, put him in the press box. We paid a lot more than that to have Johan in the press box last year.

What's the harm?

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Quote:
I'd say yes.
I have no idea why we would want to retain his rights. Seems a bit of a waste. What was his contract for in the KHL? 2 years?

Old
05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Roadman
Moving On

One contract from Springfield I would like to see go forward is Martin St. Pierre. Played 73 games, Lead the team in scoring with 11-53 64, was great down the stretch, an older player but a steadying influence, would make a good mentor for Chaput, solid system depth at center.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Yeah, forgot about Jenner. When I was putting the list together, I somehow looked at his name and thought "Ottawa 67s, overage season", which of course is Dalton Smith.

I think so. The reserve list is 80 (combined NHL contracts, NHL contracts that slide, and unsigned players with rights possessed by the team), so there's no harm in qualifying him to retain rights.

What's been forgotten over time is that Mayorov was a pretty highly-touted prospect who chilled badly because of the Russian factor. Cherapanov was a consensus top-5 prospect, and Mayorov was around 15. If I remember right, Cherapanov was actually tabbed as the best prospect from January to March of 2007.
As were Alexander Daigle and Angelo Esposito among others - let him go. For such a unsuccessful organization, we sure have a lot of sacred cows who no one wants to see go.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
As were Alexander Daigle and Angelo Esposito among others - let him go. For such a unsuccessful organization, we sure have a lot of sacred cows who no one wants to see go.
Again, there are 30 spots on the reserve list for players whose rights are possessed but not signed to a contract.

As I can see them, the following players are on there.
Ambroz, Seth
Archibald, Brandon (will not be signed; rights will expire June 1)
Corbeil-Theriault, Mathieu (rights expire June 1)
Forsberg, Anton
Kosmachev, Dmitri
Larkin, Thomas
Luchinkin, Sergei
Lynch, Kevin
Mozyakin, Sergei
Olson, Drew
Ouellette, Martin
Reilly, Mike
Sedlak, Lukas
Straka, Petr (will not be signed; rights will expire June 1)
Subbotin, Dmitri
Tynan, TJ
Vogelhuber, Trent (rights expire June 1)

That's 17 names. The only European name that I know is not still retained is Alexander Svitov, whose rights were released sometime last year. Outside of that, Subbotin, Mozyakin, Luchinkin, and Kosmachev are still retained. I'm still trying to see if Kirill Starkov is on that list, but we're just splitting hairs here.

The European players are...well, they've got some age on them. Mozyakin is 31, Subbotin will be 35 by the time next season starts, Luchinkin 36, and Kosmachev 27. I don't see any harm in retaining Mayorov's rights; he's 23 and has potential. If he goes to the KHL and starts really producing, he'll have some value here. The formality of simply mailing a qualifying offer is harmless.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:05 AM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Which, to me, is just plain dumb.
I have a hard time believing Huselius will sign for any more than $1.5-2m on a one year deal. Why not sign him here? It's not like we're contending for the Cup and God knows we will need a top six winger.

So if he comes back and he's not healthy- so what, let the insurance pay his salary. If he comes back and does average to above average, trade him at the deadline or keep him. If he comes back and plays like crap, put him in the press box. We paid a lot more than that to have Johan in the press box last year.

What's the harm?
Could very well be that Huse's agent has already said he won't sign that low. But if not, I agree entirely.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
If you think he could be an NHL player some day then you qualify him. Doesn't hurt the CBJ. If someone else has interest in him you can then trade his rights for a 7th or whatever.

Qualify him and don't worry about signing him. Not a chance he signs his QO so he can play in the KHL and maybe build up the confidence again at which point he's probably more like to be traded. I don't see a place for him with the CBJ at this point. He's had chances to show his wares and improve and he's been very stagnant.

Last edited by Xoggz22: 05-24-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I have no idea why we would want to retain his rights. Seems a bit of a waste. What was his contract for in the KHL? 2 years?
Because there's still potential value there that costs us little to maintain a hold on? Just being thorough. I doubt it'd pay off, but it'd be frustrating if it didn't.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Because there's still potential value there that costs us little to maintain a hold on? Just being thorough. I doubt it'd pay off, but it'd be frustrating if it didn't.
There isn't an inherent upside that I can see holding on to his rights. Even if he does make a return to the NHL in 2 or 3 years, he won't be lighting up the NHL.

You going to hold on to his rights so maybe we trade them for a 6th round pick in a couple of years?

I understand what you are saying, but I would reserve that for players more worthy.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
There isn't an inherent upside that I can see holding on to his rights. Even if he does make a return to the NHL in 2 or 3 years, he won't be lighting up the NHL.

You going to hold on to his rights so maybe we trade them for a 6th round pick in a couple of years?

I understand what you are saying, but I would reserve that for players more worthy.
And if/when we get a more worthy case in which he'd be a blocker, we can toss him aside like yesterday's garbage. Until then, I say hold on.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Let's say for a second that none of the players in the original post re-up. The total roster would look like this.

Signed - 36
RFAs (assuming all are qualified) - 6
Unsigned reserve list - 13

That leaves 14 contracts left to play with, and 19 on the overall reserve list. That could increase to 20 if Jenner goes back to the OHL.

Now, any player who's drafted this year will be on the unsigned reserve list. That could push the number to anywhere from 25-28 on the unsigned reserve list, but that number would fall as the unsigned RFAs actually sign contracts.

The other thing is, a team isn't limited to 30 on the reserve list. They can have 30 contracts and 50 unsigned reserve list players. Obviously, no one does this. But if Mayorov is qualified and there's a glut on the unsigned reserve list, it takes one fax and a phone call to release the rights of either of those two Russian players who are 35 and up. Problem solved.

We also have no idea what a player will do in Europe. Tim Thomas played in North America, then went to Europe for several years before coming back. Jiri Dopita played in Europe for his entire career, and was hugely hyped when he came over. No one thought anything of Henrik Zetterberg, then he hit about age 23 and he was regarded as a future star. Same thing with Fabian Brunnstrom. There's nothing that says that Mayorov won't go over, suddenly erupt, and become a hot commodity.

There's no harm in retaining his rights. And if he completely flops overseas, it costs whatever a fax costs to eliminate that issue very quickly.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
There's no harm in retaining his rights. And if he completely flops overseas, it costs whatever a fax costs to eliminate that issue very quickly.
As I said, I see no value in retaining his rights. I don't care where he goes and who gets him. We've already "developed" him for years, he hasn't done jack, and I don't think they were even going to qualify him to begin with. I don't think he was part of our plans before he decided to leave NA.

Since I really wasn't debating how hard it was to release him, I'm not sure your response helped all that much. I'm not sure he's worth the time to send the fax (or email or whatever) to retain his rights.

If we had a Rudalov situation, sure. Hell even Svitov was understandable. This guy isn't even worthy of Svitov consideration.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I updated this with some of the contract news. Players who have signed in the KHL or who will not be qualified have been pushed into their own category.

If every pending RFA and UFA were to be signed, it would push the team to 51 contracts, which obviously is over the 50-contract limit. I'll leave the speculation over who returns and who doesn't to others.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

This is what I believe the current reserve list looks like (19 players)

Ambroz, Seth
Anderson, Josh
Curcuruto, Gianluca
Dansk, Oscar
Forsberg, Anton
Korpisalo, Joonas
Kosmachev, Dmitri
Larkin, Thomas
Luchinkin, Sergei
Lynch, Kevin
Mozyakin, Sergei
Murray, Ryan