HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF Game 4; Rangers(1) @ Devils(4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

vCash: 500
Hey how bout that hockey game the other night?

Old
05-23-2012, 12:19 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Sorry I should've been more specific. I meant how are they as a team...

As someone who knows almost nothing about soccer, where do their players come from? I mean do they come over from overseas and from US colleges?
A mix of both. The team is required to keep 9 US players on the roster so they do draft some players out of college. Rest of the team comes from all over, France (Thierry Henry), Sweden, Jamaica, Estonia, Costa Rica, Mexico and Iceland off the top of my head. Maybe a couple other countries as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Guys... ITS SOCCER

It's relevant in the States once every four years for about one week until we either A. lose in the first round expectedly, or B. advance to the second round and lose to Ghana.
Cool

Old
05-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Queensdevil

Quote:
Guys... ITS SOCCER

It's relevant in the States once every four years for about one week until we either A. lose in the first round expectedly, or B. advance to the second round and lose to Ghana.
Such ignorance...

Old
05-23-2012, 12:23 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Guys... ITS SOCCER

Who cares what sport it is?

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the US who love watching soccer.

I mean, hell, it's not like hockey is thriving in the US either. I don't give a rat's ass how many people watch hockey, I grew up playing/watching it (minnesota/ND) and it will always be my favorite sport. Nothing else is close. I think it's a crying shame that more don't appreciate it but that's an argument for another day.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Queensdevil

Quote:
Who cares what sport it is?

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the US who love watching soccer.

I mean, hell, it's not like hockey is thriving in the US either. I don't give a rat's ass how many people watch hockey, I grew up playing/watching it (minnesota/ND) and it will always be my favorite sport. Nothing else is close.
Dont let ignorant posts get in your way of wanting to get into the sport man, you won't regret it. These people also fail to realize the red bulls averaged around 19k last year, Seattle sells out every game at 32k+, and teams like Toronto, Vancouver, and Portland all have very long sth waiting lists.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:28 AM
apice3*

I'm just saying, in USA, all of our top athletes play football, basketball, baseball, and to a lesser extent hockey.

In Europe/rest of the world, all of their top athletes play soccer, and the top athletes that excel at the other sports, like basketball, move to USA.

While Europes top 1% of athletes are playing soccer, ours are doing something different. Effectively, their most prize talent is going up against our sloppy 5ths. For that reason, the USA will never excel in soccer and it's the reason the MLS will take a backseat to all of the Euro leagues, just like the KHL and SEL take a backseat to the NHL.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:29 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Ok, back to the game that starts in 19 hours

Old
05-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

Meanwhile...back at the ranch...

Old
05-23-2012, 12:30 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Yeck, isnt there a soccer forum you guys could toil on?

Or, if not, perhaps there's a dog-jumping forum you could bore with this stuff.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:31 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Go get the 3-2 series lead Devs. Continue to destroy them on the forecheck and crash that ****ing net.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:32 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensdevil View Post
Dont let ignorant posts get in your way of wanting to get into the sport man, you won't regret it. These people also fail to realize the red bulls averaged around 19k last year, Seattle sells out every game at 32k+, and teams like Toronto, Vancouver, and Portland all have very long sth waiting lists.
MLS also has the most affordable tickets among any major pro sports league in the US, which isn't a knock at all.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
MLS also has the most affordable tickets among any major pro sports league in the US, which isn't a knock at all.
Red Bull tickets go for more than Nets tickets do on Stubhub and they they have a larger attendance

Old
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Queensdevil

Quote:
I'm just saying, in USA, all of our top athletes play football, basketball, baseball, and to a lesser extent hockey.

In Europe/rest of the world, all of their top athletes play soccer, and the top athletes that excel at the other sports, like basketball, move to USA.

While Europes top 1% of athletes are playing soccer, ours are doing something different. Effectively, their most prize talent is going up against our sloppy 5ths. For that reason, the USA will never excel in soccer and it's the reason the MLS will take a backseat to all of the Euro leagues, just like the KHL and SEL take a backseat to the NHL.
Its because they have the money to buy players from all over the world, the salary cap limits that in mls. Players will come here if offered the money. We can debate this in the soccer thread possibly though, let's get back to hockey. LGD everybody love everybody.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

BENCH ELIAS FOR SYKORA!

Hey I figured it would get us off Soccer.

Is it true Soccer really passed NHL, and NBA as the third most watched sport in America? I don't hate Soccer, and I'm not trying to bash it, but I figured Auto Racing was more watched in America than Soccer?

Old
05-23-2012, 12:34 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Red Bull tickets go for more than Nets tickets do on Stubhub and they they have a larger attendance
The Nets also average like 4 wins a season since losing Jason Kidd.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:35 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yeck, isnt there a soccer forum you guys could toil on?

Or, if not, perhaps there's a dog-jumping forum you could bore with this stuff.

I just think it's absolutely hysterical that there are so many hardcore baseball fans on here but they'll trash soccer any opportunity they get.

I've only recently gotten into baseball, but you can't possibly tell me that's an exciting sport. I find it extremely comical when anyone tries to tell me that baseball is more exciting than hockey.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:35 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Let's play Janssen and Boulton.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:36 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensdevil View Post
Its because they have the money to buy players from all over the world, the salary cap limits that in mls. Players will come here if offered the money. We can debate this in the soccer thread possibly though, let's get back to hockey. LGD everybody love everybody.
I ignored the soccer thread a long time ago.

2014, I will likely revisit it for a week and then back to ignore.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:37 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
The Nets also average like 4 wins a season since losing Jason Kidd.
But to your argument the Red Bulls are American scrubs that are terrible soccer players no one wants to watch

Quote:
I just think it's absolutely hysterical that there are so many hardcore baseball fans on here but they'll trash soccer any opportunity they get.

I've only recently gotten into baseball, but you can't possibly tell me that's an exciting sport. I find it extremely comical when anyone tries to tell me that baseball is more exciting than hockey.
Exactly. I've only gotten into soccer recently but after working hands on with a team I've started to fall in love. I think soccer is a sport you need to actively participate in to fully appreciate.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:39 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Everybody plays soccer at some point. It's a blast to play it. From a spectator perspective, for some reason it never caught on here in the States.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:41 AM
apice3*

Quote:
But to your argument the Red Bulls are American scrubs that are terrible soccer players no one wants to watch
The Nets have some of the world's top basketball athletes that pail in comparison to the rest of the NBA.

The Red Bulls have some of the world's top soccer castoffs (in comparison to Euros) that excel in comparison to the rest of the MLS.

Big difference.

If you brought the Premier League to the US and made the Red Bulls and their current roster an expansion team, they wouldn't have great attendance. Well, they might have good attendance in the same way that Heat/Nets games do.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:44 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Everybody plays soccer at some point. It's a blast to play it. From a spectator perspective, for some reason it never caught on here in the States.
The reason it doesn't catch on here is because kids who are among their age group's most athletic kids shy away from soccer and opt for football, basketball, and baseball.

In Europe, the top athletic kids stick with soccer with very few Dirk Nowitzkis and Pau Gasol's emerging.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:45 AM
apice3*

Go Devils!

Old
05-23-2012, 12:46 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Tickets to college plays sell for more than Nets tickets.

Quote:
I ignored the soccer thread a long time ago.

2014, I will likely revisit it for a week and then back to ignore.
Same here. My girlfriend wants to go to a game, and I too would like to go to a Red Bulls game and check it out and see the new stadium and everything, but I just cant intensely get into it like I can the NHL or NFL.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:48 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
The Nets have some of the world's top basketball athletes that pail in comparison to the rest of the NBA.

The Red Bulls have some of the world's top soccer castoffs (in comparison to Euros) that excel in comparison to the rest of the MLS.

Big difference.

If you brought the Premier League to the US and made the Red Bulls and their current roster an expansion team, they wouldn't have great attendance. Well, they might have good attendance in the same way that Heat/Nets games do.
The Red Bulls aren't really castoffs though. Outside Henry who can still hold his own in Europe they have the Mexican national captain and the rest of the impact players are American or come from countries that soccer is even less popular than the United States.

Closed Thread