HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Renny Is Out As The Oilers Coach

Old
05-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Ah yes cause money spent is equivalent to talent on ice. But continue to say Renney is a bad coach, if you believe hard enough it may just come true!
I said the expectation was there, the Rags spend the most because they EXPECT to win every year. There supposed to make the playoffs, they didn't get Jagr and half the Czech Republic to not make them. Your trying to make Renney this success story out of nowheresville, who'd a thunk it. C'mon man!

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
I said the expectation was there, the Rags spend the most because they EXPECT to win every year. There supposed to make the playoffs, they didn't get Jagr and half the Czech Republic to not make them. Your trying to make Renney this success story out of nowheresville, who'd a thunk it. C'mon man!
And did the Islanders not bring in Witt, Sillinger, and Poti for Nolan? Renney took a team with a bad blueline and one line offense and got them into the playoffs. How? By employing a tight trap that demanded commitment from its role players and letting Jagr call his own game. By backing him up with three checking lines (along with the play of Henrik), he was able to shelter a not so good blueline and roll into the playoffs.

A bad coach doesn't get that team into the playoffs. Because its basically a mirror image of Tavares and his merrybend of folk but we have a better blueline.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Fan101

Bring in Renny, Build Around Tavares

The team's main problem is alot of immature players except for Tavares who is mature beyond his years. Just like Renny coached with Jagr as his top forward, let Renny coach and build the team around Tavares. Slowly get rid of the immature players and has-been vets. Renny knows the NHL and how to coach in it. They also need a patient coach who can develop Poulin the way Renny developed Lundqvist. He's also is low key like Snow and should work well with him. In light of the Rangers and Devils success, pick some coaching talent and management talent from their orgs like Oates and Gordie Clark.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Cacciaguida

Renny is great with young players. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't watched him in Edmonton. Would be an excellent assistant coach, but leave the tactics for someone more... competent in that regard.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101 View Post
The team's main problem is alot of immature players except for Tavares who is mature beyond his years. Just like Renny coached with Jagr as his top forward, let Renny coach and build the team around Tavares. Slowly get rid of the immature players and has-been vets. Renny knows the NHL and how to coach in it. They also need a patient coach who can develop Poulin the way Renny developed Lundqvist. He's also is low key like Snow and should work well with him. In light of the Rangers and Devils success, pick some coaching talent and management talent from their orgs like Oates and Gordie Clark.
Somehow I doubt it was Staios's, Eaton's, or Jurcina's immaturity that led to us employing a collapse style D that barred anyone not named Tavares or Nielsen from carrying the puck up ice.

Do agree on Renney, but this is where it gets to the point where your just plucking guys form other teams assuming they must be better.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Fan101

The vets on d are not the problem but the forwards as you pointed out except for Tavares and Nielsen are not very creative or defensively skilled as they should be. I think an NHL experienced coach (and GM?) have a better handle on the psychology and development of young NHL than this crew has. I also think discipline off the ice is also a factor in how well you develop an NHL team. I wouldn't say Capuano is incapable but its up to Wang and the outside people he seeks advice from to tell him.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Sometimes I just don't understand what people are arguing about.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Sometimes I just don't understand what people are arguing about.
Amen to that brother.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:36 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
He's here till at least January. get used to it.
I think they are going to have a quicker trigger on him than January. Gordon was fired in what, November? It will be November or December at the latest for him if the Isles play poorly.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:40 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post

I like turtles.
Haha! Best comeback EVER!!!

Old
05-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I think they are going to have a quicker trigger on him than January. Gordon was fired in what, November? It will be November or December at the latest for him if the Isles play poorly.
And to me if I were in charge of a sports team, I'd probably think to myself that if I were to give this coach 1 more month to prove himself, then he's probably done a poor job before. To me the guy already lost his job.

If they are going to make Doug Weight head coach, then just do it now. He won't be any more ready in November. And as for the know nothing national media that will want to make Capuano out to be the good guy who just got screwed with a lousy team; Islander fans know better. A better coach would have done something to try to shake up the lack of secondary scoring way before the 65th game of the season.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

i can't believe doug weight is going to be our next coach... not that i'm pining for renney. give me an old fashioned hard ass anyday.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:57 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
And to me if I were in charge of a sports team, I'd probably think to myself that if I were to give this coach 1 more month to prove himself, then he's probably done a poor job before. To me the guy already lost his job.

If they are going to make Doug Weight head coach, then just do it now. He won't be any more ready in November. And as for the know nothing national media that will want to make Capuano out to be the good guy who just got screwed with a lousy team; Islander fans know better. A better coach would have done something to try to shake up the lack of secondary scoring way before the 65th game of the season.
Yeah, I totally agree, I was just thinking back to that sit down Wang had with Howie and I specifically watched Wang's facial reactions as well as what he said about Capuano for next season. I got the impression, with the way he answered, that if Capuano is gone it will be by December. Really, this is the only problem I have with management (we all have different opinions on the purse string issue, not going to go there) is their refusal to add a seasoned coach to this team. I can't help but to think that maybe just like UFA's don't want to come here, coaches don't either. It's gotta be fixed though. If we don't have anybody coming in here steering the boat professionally and teaching these kids what the NHL is about they are going to be guys with bad habits later down the line for a new coach in our organization or someone elses.

With that being said, I know Dale Hunter left on his own accord to go back to what he enjoys more, but I wondered about this. Let's say a guy like Joel Ward takes a run at a guy after the whistle, cost the team a five minute major and is suspended for 20 games or so (32 to be exact, lol). The Caps give up 2 goals on the ensuing PP and it's a big point in the series. How does a guy like Hunter even have two legs to stand on in talking to Ward??? He can't even say, "I've made that mistake before" because the ****er swears he didn't hear a whistle and didn't know it was a goal....

Old
05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Shanahanigans

Oilers fan here. Renney isn't a bad coach, but he's not a coach you hire to take you deep into the playoffs. The Oilers are trying to take the next step in the rebuild, which is the playoffs. Renney was great in developing our kids. Hall, Eberle, RNH, Smid, Petry, and Dubnyk took massive steps under him. However, the vets seemed to regress, guys like Horcoff, Smyth, Belanger, etc.

So the question is, what is NYI's plan next year? Is it a rebuilding year? Or a year where they plan on making the playoffs, or coming close? Guys like Hamonic and Tavares seem like the players who will succeed under any coach. You do have a few young players coming up in De Haan, Nino, Strome, so hiring Renney would be useful there. He's a great developmental coach, who coaches the right habits in young players. If you guys believe you could make a run for the playoffs next year, then Renney might not be the guy, you probably will be looking for more of a win now coach.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Hipster Doofus

Renney coached a mostly vet team to the playoffs for the Rangers. The vets you listed are old as hell and/or were in decline anyway.