HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What is more impressive, Canada's dominance in hockey or Brazil's in soccer?

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 04:18 AM
LSnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
please you left out womens hockey, sledge hockey, road hockey, table hockey and pocket hockey.

Seriously though, pre '98 Olympics and WC???
So we should use only 2010 olympics ??? what if Canada doesnt win in 2014 sochi? is hypotetically Sweden then as dominant in hockey as Brazil in soccer..

Old
05-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork View Post
you know this because you bookmarked the 2007/2004/2003 WC finals GDT?
I know this because I have been around for a while, not sure what you mean?

Old
05-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
So we should use only 2010 olympics ??? what if Canada doesnt win in 2014 sochi? is hypotetically Sweden then as dominant in hockey as Brazil in soccer..
read the op, never said it was only about '10

Old
05-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
6 golds in whc in the last 70 years.
2 golds in olympics in that last 70 years.
Not a very meaningful record, considering Canada wasn't allowed to use NHL players before 1977.

Quote:
people claim that the WC doesnt count because not all of the best players go. this may be due to a number of factors, including the stanley cup playoffs, personal preference, injuries, etc. However, people seem to forget that canada is NOT the only country affected by this. There are players from the USA, Sweden, and every country that do not go to the WC. By your logic, if Canada is so dominant in the sport of hockey, shouldn't Canada overcome this problem by still icing a highly competitive team in the WC due to depth and the large amount of available players. This means that Canada should be less affected by players not wanting to play, so canada should actually be more dominant in the world championships than in "best-on-best" tournaments such as the olympics, relatively speaking. however, this is not the case as Canada hasn't won the WC is how ever many years
Indeed, that's one of the reasons I for my part would never speak of Canadian "domination". Still, the World Championships are not a best on best tournament. It's fair to make the distinction between the very good tournaments (World Championships) and the best tournaments (Olympics, World Cup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
The 2005 world championships were not played during the Stanley cup playoffs so they should count as best-on-best.
True, that was an exceptional year. Unfortunately, a couple of players like Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Jarome Iginla and Teemu Selänne decided to not play any hockey at all in the 2004-05 season. That said, the 2005 World Championships were closer to best-on-best than anything else. I wouldn't be relucant to count them, considering that there were also a couple of not exactly unimportant declinations in World Cup and Olympic tournaments from 1996-2004.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Fork

Quote:
I know this because I have been around for a while, not sure what you mean?
those are the years where canada won the WC. since you joined in 2005, im assuming you were only around for the 2007 canadian victory

so you are saying that when canada won in 2007, canadians were still discrediting the WC and saying that the victory is meaningless?

Old
05-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Ola

fejl

Old
05-23-2012, 04:27 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Canada has more hockey players and rinks than the European countries and Russia combined and is the only country in the world where hockey is the clear number one sport so their supposed "dominance" isn't exactly impressive.

Brazil does not dominate either but I very much appreciate them is how they team aim to play an attractive style of football every time. Their fans can very well boo them if they win 1-0 with a crappy game. Also soccer is far far more competitive than hockey world wide and makes it much harder to have success.

Oh and the World Cup of hockey nothing more than a exhibition tournament. The Finns had to fly over to Minny to play the Americans and then on to Toronto where some idiot set off the fire alarm at their hotel in the middle of the night before the game. Not exactly what I would call a competitive situation.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
those are the years where canada won the WC. since you joined in 2005, im assuming you were only around for the 2007 canadian victory

so you are saying that when canada won in 2007, canadians were still discrediting the WC and saying that the victory is meaningless?
you do realize that people discussed these things before the HFboards came along?

Old
05-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
First of all, Brazil? This isn't 1998 anymore, sure, Brazil has a lot of great players, but it was a long time since they had any major international success. I don't think there's any nation that "dominates" in football.

I would say Canada dominates in hockey though, but is it really surprising? Half of the registered players in the world, and still little countries like Finland, and evidently Slovakia can beat them on a good day. Granted this wasn't a best-on-best tournament, but Canada had a much better squad on paper than Slovakia.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
where some idiot set off the fire alarm at their hotel in the middle of the night before the game.
I heard it was Aki Berg who pulled the alarm.

Seriously though, what kind of argument is that? Finland wasn't ready to play in the final because they had played in Helsinki 8 days earlier?

Old
05-23-2012, 04:48 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Seriously though, what kind of argument is that? Finland wasn't ready to play in the final because they had played in Helsinki 8 days earlier?
No, because Aki Berg pulled the fire alarm.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
No, because Aki Berg pulled the fire alarm.
Others have accused the Finnish team of generating too much heat with each other in their rooms after dark, but for most of them that was found to be totally untrue.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
zorz

I think Germany is the most dominant country in soccer.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I think Germany is the most dominant country in soccer.
I would say they are the most consistent, but not dominating, it's been a while since they won a lot.

To answer the title question of the thread: Brazil doesn't dominate in football, and while Canada does dominate in hockey, it's not very surprising or impressive.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Yamaguchi

You can't compare football and hockey.

There is a lot more competition in football. In hockey, there are same 6-7 teams that perenially battle for medals.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Dosing

Lolz brazil

Old
05-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Zine

Brazil and Canada are dominant and impressive?

Its impossible for 1 country to dominate football.....and Canada (given their # of players, rinks, resources and popularity) should dominate every tournament they partake in. But for some reason they can't.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

This a troll thread?

A - football is so much more popular than hockey, it's not even funny
B - Brazil doesn't dominate football, far from it
C - Canada doesn't dominate hockey, far from it

You can use the word "dominate" for US basketball "Dream Teams", for example.

Seriously... Trolling?

Old
05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
roto

Quote:
I would say that Canada is more dominant in hockey than Brazil is in soccer since Canada wins a higher percentage of the best on best tournaments and also has a higher percentage of the world's elite players.
Not in my opinion. Canada doesn't dominate ice hockey and Brazil does dominate soccer even less. Canada has most elite players, but still it hasn't dominated in olympics. It has dominated in WJC: usually getting gold (or at least in finals) and overpowering the opponents. That's domination. In olympics Canada hasn't dominated by any means; it has two golds out of four but it still hasn't dominated in those tournaments:

In Vancouver: SO win against Switzerland, loss to USA and then OT win in the final.
In Salt Lake City: Lost to Sweden, 3-2 win over Germany and tie with Czechs and got Belarus in SF

I don't even need to mention about lack of domination in Torino or Nagano.

The reason why Canada has dominated in WJC is simple: depth. In olympics smaller hockey countries can field a competitive team because they can use players which are ~18-45 years old, and Canada can still participate with only one team regardless of its depth. Depth and number of players is important in tournaments like U20.

Canada is so overpowering hockey nation that it should/could dominate in hockey but it does not. Canada has so big pool of elite players that it has only something to lose. Not winning with that material is a failure. In short tournament everything can happen, so QF loss doesn't mean that Canada sucks in ice hockey. On the other hand one QF win over Russia a couple of years ago doesn't mean anything more. It's only one game even though some Canadians try to make big conclusions of it. It only proved that Team Canada clearly won that particular game and advanced to semi finals.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
This a troll thread?

A - football is so much more popular than hockey, it's not even funny
B - Brazil doesn't dominate football, far from it
C - Canada doesn't dominate hockey, far from it

You can use the word "dominate" for US basketball "Dream Teams", for example.

Seriously... Trolling?
the usa is more dominant in b-ball than we are in hockey, but there are a lot of similarities between their best on best performance and ours and also how they have done at the Basketball WC as compared to Canada at the IIHF WC.

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 05-23-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old
05-23-2012, 06:00 AM
NewHopeForEveryone

retarded topic

where is that "its just WCH, i dont care" ???

then if we dont count WCH, Canada have only gold from OG and thats all...yeah..i admit...TOTALLY DOMINANCE!!

this is not even funny

Old
05-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
Canada is so overpowering hockey nation that it should/could dominate in hockey but it does not. Canada has so big pool of elite players that it has only something to lose. Not winning with that material is a failure. In short tournament everything can happen, so QF loss doesn't mean that Canada sucks in ice hockey. On the other hand one QF win over Russia a couple of years ago doesn't mean anything more. It's only one game even though some Canadians try to make big conclusions of it. It only proved that Team Canada clearly won that particular game and advanced to semi finals.
I agree in hockey the best team on paper will not win every time and there is no point in worrying too much about individual games. I would still say that Canada's record of 7W, 4L of best on best tournaments, considering no one else has won more than one, is pretty dominant.

Old
05-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvkInNHL View Post
retarded topic

where is that "its just WCH, i dont care" ???

then if we dont count WCH, Canada have only gold from OG and thats all...yeah..i admit...TOTALLY DOMINANCE!!

this is not even funny
what if just looked at the number and quality of elite players that each country produces?

Old
05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
roto

Quote:
I agree in hockey the best team on paper will not win every time and there is no point in worrying too much about individual games. I would still say that Canada's record of 7W, 4L of best on best tournaments, considering no one else has won more than one, is pretty dominant.
Yes, Canada is more dominant than others, but still Canada doesn't dominate olympic hockey.

I really don't think Canada Cups/World Cups as something that should be counted when determining what country has won most important tournaments. Personally I haven't seen more (or even equally) biased high level tournaments in any other sports. They are nice tournaments but that's it.

Old
05-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
Yes, Canada is more dominant than others, but still Canada doesn't dominate olympic hockey.

I really don't think Canada Cups/World Cups as something that should be counted when determining what country has won most important tournaments. Personally I haven't seen more (or even equally) biased high level tournaments in any other sports. They are nice tournaments but that's it.
I think you would find that IIHF men's tournaments (WC and OG) have traditionally been much more biased in favour of Europeans than the CCup and WCup ever were the other way, but a lot of people don't want to admit that.

Closed Thread