HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
In the 80's, the battle, the real one, was allllllll about the breweries. Today, it's allllllll about media content and media concentration. It will be Bell vs Quebecor. Not Habs vs Nords. That's accessory to the real competition. And in order to win the market, the team with the better identity will win it. And to win the market, you need to cater to the majority. Meaning having a francophone identity to the max. Geoff understands that.
Does he? You're talking about the same man who fired a french speaking coach and replaced him with a non-French speaking coach (only to clip his wings with ill advised statements a week later). You're giving Geoff Molson way more credit than he probably deserves.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Does he? You're talking about the same man who fired a french speaking coach and replaced him with a non-French speaking coach (only to clip his wings with ill advised statements a week later). You're giving Geoff Molson way more credit than he probably deserves.
If he didnt know. He sure does now.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
AreYouHockey

I'm not sure about guys like Bob Hartley, Michel Therrien or even Guy Carbonneau who are going at l'Antichambre every week. (Hartley not anyway but he was.)

They're losing credibility IMO, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I don't think he meant Cole be literally sat out of a game but Cole was playing under 14 mins a game under JM while Gomez was getting all the time in the world. JM also opted for Darche on the PP rather than Cole. For all the talk about JM being a great strategist that's just pure stupidity. I'm glad he's gone - he dug his own grave with those types of moves.
And oh wow, well said sir!

Old
05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i don't know about cole being benched, but when he sat subban, he was faaaaaaaar from being our best player. he was playing like a ADHD-afflicted mongoloid that had ran out of adderall. and by that i mean he deserved to be benched for playing like a tool.

just my little contribution to this ****fest. carry on
I don't think he meant Cole be literally sat out of a game but Cole was playing under 14 mins a game under JM while Gomez was getting all the time in the world. JM also opted for Darche on the PP rather than Cole. For all the talk about JM being a great strategist that's just pure stupidity. I'm glad he's gone - he dug his own grave with those types of moves.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Erik Cole started the year very slow. I don't know why people seem to have forgotten that. His presence on the PP would have changed very little. With all the exhibition games and the number of players around, the guy didn't have a chance to use that time to adapt to a new system or get used to linemates. It's not surprising it took him a bit of time to get into the groove. He had 4pts in 11 during the month of October.
People also like to leave out the fact that Martin started using him a lot more in November. He often got 17-18-19min of ice time. He was also used on the PP (so much that he actually lead the team in one game with 8min of PP!). However, our PP didn't improve all that much.
In November, under Martin, Cole put up 10pts in 14gp. In December, he played 7 games before Martin got fired, he had 8pts during that stretch and never played under 17min.

So let's stop pretending that Martin alienated Cole. It's simply not true.
Cole had a crappy start to the year, he wasn't skating hard and seemed lost. But once he adapted, Martin used him more.

The decision behind putting Darche there ahead of Cole was dumb. But as MM pointed out, there was a rationale behind it. Cole never produced all that well on the PP. Darche was actually a serviceable winger for us there. So, on some level, it was logical. However, I'll never agree with it.

I'm glad Martin is gone because I wouldn't mind more exciting hockey. However, winning remains the most important thing for me, and I'm really not convinced about the names that are thrown around. So, I might have to rethink this ''glad'' feeling.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
and what if he wasnt talking about quebecers?
I dont see what got your panties in a bunch about his comment.

you're so naive to think that montreal, one of the most storied franchises in all of sports, only has fans in quebec?

open you're eyes just on these boards you have ppl from halifax to japan who are habs fans so i'm pretty sure we have a fan base of over 8 million without your 4 million.

Dont worry you're nords will be back eventually and you can take your 4 millions fans.
I can't even...

Old
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You were either drunk/stoned when you read my post or you have a problem with reading comprehension. That was exactly my point.
I was drunk.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea we sure did not live in the same neighboorhood. It was always 50-50 in Quebec city.

Yea they loved the Gros Bill, so what.

Incendiary? Seems to you're the one getting nuts over nothing. The Habs are this nation.

Plus, where are the Nordiques now? Your argument doesn't hold any water because it's all hypotetical.
You were the one who said 8 million Quebecois loved the Habs. Not me. Why bother replying? You're wrong. Why not acknowledge it. Can't lose an argument? Too bad for you. Good luck. Ignore list with your reply. Bye.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I can't even...
what a great reply...wow you my friend are a fantastic debater...

so you really think that there are only habs fans in this province and 5 million of those fans will leave when and if quebec city gets a team and you laugh at my post...

have you ever stepped foot outside quebec?
You know there's life outside quebec right? Quebecers are not the center of the world...

clearly all you have to do is look at this board to find habs fans from all over the world...
but no lets not let facts prove anything lets go with our misguided egocentric opinions

Old
05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I would rather see this team lose with a Franco than win the Stanley Cup with an Anglo.
**** me. You just threw that out there for fun right? I do that at dinner parties sometimes...

Old
05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

What about Martin Raymond? Would he be ready an HC gig? He learned from a good young coach.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:55 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
what a great reply...wow you my friend are a fantastic debater...

so you really think that there are only habs fans in this province and 5 million of those fans will leave when and if quebec city gets a team and you laugh at my post...

have you ever stepped foot outside quebec?
You know there's life outside quebec right? Quebecers are not the center of the world...

clearly all you have to do is look at this board to find habs fans from all over the world...
but no lets not let facts prove anything lets go with our misguided egocentric opinions
I was born in Montreal in 1963 to a french dad and an english Mom. I graduated McGill in 1990 and moved to Hong Kong in 1995, before the handover.

I have been in 20 countries, and currently have projects in India, China, Korea and Hong Kong.

Otherwise I don't get out much.

I think you misunderstood my first post dude.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I was born in Montreal in 1963 to a french dad and an english Mom. I graduated McGill in 1990 and moved to Hong Kong in 1995, before the handover.

I have been in 20 countries, and currently have projects in India, China, Korea and Hong Kong.

then why laugh when i say there are habs fans outside of quebec?

Old
05-23-2012, 02:05 PM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396662

Vigneault gone.. one choice down

Old
05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabbyGilmore View Post

Yeah, but AV has been a forgone conclusion since Gillis got extended and subsequently gave his vote of confidence to AV.

He would have to be the #1 candidate had he become available, judging by the pool of candidates that keep getting thrown around in here.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
You were the one who said 8 million Quebecois loved the Habs. Not me. Why bother replying? You're wrong. Why not acknowledge it. Can't lose an argument? Too bad for you. Good luck. Ignore list with your reply. Bye.
It was a matter of speaking, genius.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:12 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:

How much do you earn per yr?

Old
05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Now that STL asst coach Scott Mellanby has left the Blues, it won't be a surprise if he surfaces as MTL GM Marc Bergevin's assistant.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
I am not an Anglo.

Born and raised in Montreal, mom is from France and speak French at my parents house. Studied my whole life in French including Medecine at Universite de Montreal. Keep judging though.

Now, child please, I read more history than you ever will. The Habs are not Quebec's team, close to half the population of the province would instantly change back to the Nordiques including possibly yourself judging from your history of posting in the Business of Hockey forum.

We are also not in ****ing 1938 where the Habs were created as the French team. Times change and the Habs have no longer been for a long time Quebec's team. They are Greater Montreal's team.

I also think its disrespectful that you think everyone that doesn't want this team to be based off language is an Anglo. Get a grip, we're in 2012.
Do you ever go around the Province? Kids all over dream to play for the Habs. They are the Province's team, not just Montreal. When the Habs lose you can sense the deception all over the damn province. I know there are fans of other teams and especially in Quebec were I live there are still die-hards Nords fans, but it has changed a lot since the Nords left, there's a whole generation of kids that have grown up in a World where the Habs are everything to them, yes like it was in 1938.

Man Montrealers are so possessive.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Now that STL asst coach Scott Mellanby has left the Blues, it won't be a surprise if he surfaces as MTL GM Marc Bergevin's assistant.
negotiations gone sour with Dudley?

hope not.

How man assistant GM`s can one team have? Carriere is already in place.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

I don't think fans throughout Quebec should be ignored. I also don't think fans in the Maritimes, Canada, or internationally should be ignored too. They too have been around for generations. But when the line has to be drawn, the Habs have always been the team of the Montreal area, not of the Quebec nation or whatever. Quebec is a unique place and the Habs are part of the cultural identity, but the Habs have been cosmopolitan since as long as hockey has been.

This is one reason I really wish the Nordiques would return. Not that it would take away the political issue, it won't, but it'll help us get rid of this idea that all of Quebec is some singular entity at odds with the rest of the world and the Canadiens have to put that first.

I don't expect the language issue to ever go away and that's not always a bad thing (the Habs should always appeal to both French and English fans in my opinion), and yes the majority of the fanbase will always be Francophone, but it would be nice for those obsessed with "Quebec's team" and Planet Quebec to have an alternative.
And you are Wrong.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabbyGilmore View Post

Perfect, really did not want him

Old
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
negotiations gone sour with Dudley?

hope not.

How man assistant GM`s can one team have? Carriere is already in place.
You can have 3 assistants in different capacities. Mellanby can help with player development or scouting.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
From assistant coach to assistant GM? Wow that would be a nice raise for Mellanby. I prfeer Dudley

Old
05-23-2012, 02:27 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
From assistant coach to assistant GM? Wow that would be a nice raise for Mellanby. I prfeer Dudley
Won't be surprised if Berg takes 2 new assistants.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Closed Thread