HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spacek/Gill confirm Martin is garbage coach, Gauthier senile old man, Cunney a puppet

Old
05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Spacek/Gill confirm Martin is garbage coach, Gauthier senile old man, Cunney a puppet

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...surreal-season

Choice excerpts:

Quote:
In talking with your former teammates here, the guys with whom you stay in touch, what’s the feeling about the hiring of Marc Bergevin as general manager, and will this exorcise the ghost of his predecessor, Pierre Gauthier?

From what I hear, hiring Bergevin is all positive. The organization was in the dark the last couple of years. … It was only Pierre’s way. He never asked anybody else, probably. He set up the strict rules we all had to follow.
Quote:
What were the most frustrating and most satisfying things about playing under coach Jacques Martin?

I think we played too much of a defensive system, I didn’t like that. I think it was even boring to watch us, to be honest. To be very honest. Come on, at home, we play like this? I think it was boring a little bit. At the end of the night, if you win 2-1, nobody cares. It’s a win. But there weren’t too many games that we win 5-2, 6-4, wide-open games in which you just had fun. There weren’t too many like that.

The run we had in my first year here (2009-10) was very satisfying, even though I was injured a little bit… it wasn’t so much the coaching as the players all coming together. You have a couple guys in the room who had won the Stanley Cup, yes, but after the all-star break, we really started to play like a team. Before that, we were trying to figure out what we could do, what kind of role we could have in the team.

At the break, we were still outside the playoff (cut), and we started to really play like a team. (Goaltender) Jaro Halak started to play really, really good for us. He took us there. But we were all really good with each other. That was something where you could see the relationships build. We started to play for each other and that was just great.
Quote:
Many nights, Canadiens fans were crying out for Martin to show some fire-breathing emotion behind the bench. Did you ever see that?

He’d do it sometimes in the locker room. When you go off the ice, usually coaches go to their office and come to the dressing room a few minutes before the next period, whatever their routine is. But when you walk in the locker room right after a period and the coach is waiting for you to sit down, you know you’re in trouble. Jacques did that a couple times.

I didn’t mind Jacques. But today you see young coaches trying to change systems, trying to adjust to other teams. We never did that. No 2-1-2 (formation). With the talent we had, we should have been aggressive. We never did that. It was chip and chase. Now everybody’s going after Gomer. Cammy didn’t like it, either. Those guys have to play with the puck.

It was like watching my (9-year-old) kid, firing the puck along the boards and chasing it. We didn’t have strong forwards to run somebody over. We should have played with the puck and made the plays. If we chip it around the goal, do you think Gio’s going to win the battles against Chara?

We’d sit back and wait for a mistake. We never put the pressure on the opponent. It’s sometimes OK to do that on the road. But at home, where you should be playing your own game, it was the worst thing.
Quote:
Communication seems to have been less than ideal. Compare it to Carolina, having been traded to the Hurricanes?

Well, Jacques didn’t talk to us. He coached more than 1,200 NHL games. At least you have to talk to your players. In Carolina, we’d have a players’ breakfast every day and (head coach) Kirk Muller would sit with us, talk to us. He’d talk to us at pre-game meals. When I got there, Eric Staal was playing really bad, he wanted to get out of there. (Goalie) Cam Ward wasn’t good. Kirk turned those into the two best players on the team, with help of other guys, and that made everyone want to play better.
Quote:
Randy Cunneyworth, Martin’s interim replacement?

I think Randy was told what to do. We had a general manager running the show. Randy was put in the worst situation ever. Here’s a great guy who can be a good coach, but Montreal wasn’t a good fit for him with the French stuff.
UPDATE: Hal Gill sheds some more light.

Last edited by Coldplay: 05-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
llamateizer

Nice, with garbage coach you can reach ECF. Imagine if we had a good one

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Nice, with garbage coach you can reach ECF. Imagine if we had a good one
You missed this part?

Quote:
The run we had in my first year here (2009-10) was very satisfying, even though I was injured a little bit… it wasn’t so much the coaching as the players all coming together.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
le_sean

Odd, that doesn't sound like Spacek. I've never heard him be serious.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Odd, that doesn't sound like Spacek. I've never heard him be serious.
There's more to the interview where he gets back to his joking roots.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
HCH

Maybe Mathman should take a quick glance at this article. There are some revealing comments in there including the fact that Martin did not communicate with his players... something that I have said all along.

It's peek inside the room and perhaps Mathman should consider apologizing for the unwarranted and uninformed derogatory comments he made about Cunneyworth. I won't hold by breath... instead I will wait for another diatribe that will outline his ability to rate the abilities of a coach

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Hugo Sham

gainey was out of his element by 09 and it was clear he slapped the team together with martin and players 'unfit' for his system. in terms of vegan skeletor, blame boivin who walked into the next office and made a ****ing lazy decision. to not slap 'interim' on Gauthier was inexcusable

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
You missed this part?
No I havent.

Having a poor coach, players managed to reach the ECF.

Having a great coach with a potential ECF team would've made the habs win the stanley cup.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Maybe Mathman should take a quick glance at this article. There are some revealing comments in there including the fact that Martin did not communicate with his players... something that I have said all along.

It's peek inside the room and perhaps Mathman should consider apologizing for the unwarranted and uninformed derogatory comments he made about Cunneyworth. I won't hold by breath... instead I will wait for another diatribe that will outline his ability to rate the abilities of a coach
i posted a number of times that metropolit would visit a garage in westmount and shoot the **** with the mechanics, gas attendants, etc..he always complained about the fact that martin never made a single in-game adjustment and was a terrible communicator

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BobbyFischer*

This pleases me.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
No I havent.

Having a poor coach, players managed to reach the ECF.

Having a great coach with a potential ECF team would've made the habs win the stanley cup.
It's hard to pick up sarcasm on these parts, apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
This pleases me.
I love your avatar.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
AreYouHockey

That's an awesome interview. I love how a respected vet like Spacek can tell the truth and stay classy at the same time.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
MathMan

Quote:
*shrug* Seemed to work well enough. Pretty amazing though how common the "coach doesn't talk to us" complaint seems to be. Carbo, Martin. Always thought it was a red herring anyway. It wasn't why Carbo was a bad coach.

I don't particularly care about his methods, TBH, as he produced the best 5-on-5 club the Habs have seen in over a decade. That's what matters to me.

And, well, "I don't mind Martin"? That's a damning expression of sheer hatred right there.

Interesting too that Martin was apparently more emotional behind closed doors than behind the bench. There's a lesson in there, too, something to keep in mind for people who judge a coach by how animated he is when the cameras are pointed his way.

Quote:
It's peek inside the room and perhaps Mathman should consider apologizing for the unwarranted and uninformed derogatory comments he made about Cunneyworth.
Why would I? I see nothing in Spacek's comments that explains away the amazingly inept system (or, rather, lack thereof). Nor the ham-fisted personnel management. Unless, I suppose, they were actually commanded by Gauthier, which I imagine is possible although I doubt even Gauthier would stoop to that much micromanagement, if only because he wouldn't have time!

I'm sure Cunneyworth is a great, likable guy, but he was a terrible coach.

Last edited by MathMan: 05-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Why would I? I see nothing in Spacek's comments that explains away the amazingly inept system (or, rather, lack thereof). Nor the ham-fisted personnel management. Unless, I suppose, they were actually commanded by Gauthier, which I imagine is possible although I doubt even Gauthier would stoop to that much micromanagement, if only because he wouldn't have time!
Well, Spacek did say the general manger was running the show in regards to Cunney, pretty much verbatim.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Et le But

Where does he say "garbage coach"?

He said he's a terrible communicator who isn't good at adjusting from his defensive system. Is this something we didn't know?

He is much harsher toward Gauthier.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
And some people actually wanted Gauthier to stay ...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
guest1467

None of this is either ground-breaking nor points to Martin being a ´garbage coach´ (what a ridiculous title).

In addition, comparing the communication skills between Martin and Muller is a completely foolhardy exercise, the latter is a players coach, while the former is not.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
guest1467

You know its funny too, I remember having countless arguments with MathMan about Martin in the first season, he was always against Martin. Then Martin gained his support and MathMan is now considered a ´Martin fanboy.´

Just sounds like a relatively objective person seeing for what Martin was, one of the best coaches, if not the best, we have had in the last decade.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:45 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
None of this is either ground-breaking nor points to Martin being a ´garbage coach´ (what a ridiculous title).

In addition, comparing the communication skills between Martin and Muller is a completely foolhardy exercise, the latter is a players coach, while the former is not.
I guess you will see what you want to see....

Old
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Garbage Coach
Garbage GM
Garbage "Consultant"

The Gainey, Gauthier, Martin era will go down in the Habs history books as the "Garbage period"

Three smart hockey men, who didn't adjust to their management/coaching styles to the game and were HORRIBLE at asset management and motivation.

Thank GOD we are moving forward!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
It's ground-breaking because I believe it's the first time a player has outright said stuff that was usually reserved for places like HFBoards (boring, lacking aggression, mis-utilizing our assets, etc.)

Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Well, Spacek did say the general manger was running the show in regards to Cunney, pretty much verbatim.
That much micromanagement though? Where did Gauthier find the time?

I can buy Gauthier ordered Subban and Eller scratched. I can buy that he ordered the whacky notion of using Eller as the tough matchup guy after that four-goal game. I can buy that he ordered the failed two-man forecheck experiment.

But would Gauthier order Eller benched after he floundered at that role? Would he order more minutes for Blunden? Would he order a total dismantling of the system to go to a purely "push puck and chase" approach (much as Martin is blamed for this, they at least passed the puck out of the zone, whereas they did practically nothing but chip it out under Cunneyworth)?

Cunneyworth was not put in an ideal situation and it's quite possible that Gauthier had more of a hand in micromanaging coaching than I thought, but the management was so bad that there's nothing to show Cunneyworth even had a clue.

Also, very important tidbit worth remembering about Spacek's opinions about the interim coach: Spacek was traded before Martin was fired. There's only so much first-hand information he would have about Cunneyworth the head coach.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:48 AM
HCH

Quote:
You know its funny too, I remember having countless arguments with MathMan about Martin in the first season, he was always against Martin. Then Martin gained his support and MathMan is now considered a ´Martin fanboy.´

Just sounds like a relatively objective person seeing for what Martin was, one of the best coaches, if not the best, we have had in the last decade.
A relatively objective person? You HAVE to be kidding. He won't even admit to being wrong when a players comes out and tells us what was happening behind the scenes. By refusing to change his stance in light of this information I think he has illustrated his personal bias.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:48 AM
MathMan

Quote:
This owes to the 2009-2010 Habs being a terrible 5-on-5 club, and the 2010-2011 and pre-firing 2011-2012 clubs being quite to very good at it.

The facts of the matter changed, so I changed my mind with the new information.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:

Geez.

Who invited Buzz Killington to the party?

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote