HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goalie Dilemna

View Poll Results: How should the jackets resolve their goalie dilemna?
Sign the 2 best UFA's available 16 28.07%
Sign a UFA & re-sign Sanford 24 42.11%
Insist on a starting goalie as part of the Nash trade 9 15.79%
Trade for Luongo exclusive of Nash deal 7 12.28%
Trade for a goalie other than in a Nash or Luongo deal 15 26.32%
Other 10 17.54%
Draft both Subban and Dansk if available 11 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

vCash: 500
As long as Mason is not in goal, I have hope.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:07 PM
thrillermiller89

what's dekanich's realistic potential? future starter? maybe the 2012-2013 starter??

Old
05-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
what's dekanich's realistic potential? future starter? maybe the 2012-2013 starter??
The rare person who knows needs to post, I guess Howson would be a good source....

Old
05-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
Well, he was being favorably compared to Braden Holtby when we signed him. That said, given how Holtby's taken off since, I'd temper expectations somewhat.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Cyclones Rock

1) Buy Out Mason for the bargain "under 25" one-third.

2) Sign Sanford to a one-way, one year deal.

3) Sign Vokoun or Hedberg to a two year deal or trade for Bernier.

4) Sign Dekanich to a two-way if he is deemed healthy.

5) Sign Cedrick Desjardins to a two-way.

6) Make sure that Mason is bought out. Pay extra if need be.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:55 AM
chunkbox

i am hoping something happens in a big way ...

here is what i want to happen

we trade Nash + S.Mason for C.Ward + a first rounder + a prospect or 2 ( or more picks )

we draft O.Dansk ( and hope he is there with our first pick in the second round )

we re-sign C.Sanford to a 2 way deal

i am done with Dex ... injury after injury ... no thanks

Last edited by chunkbox: 05-23-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old
05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Reading the replies and giving it thought myself... makes me realize this is a giant pile of stink. So many possibilities, so many holes to plug.

I'd start with Josh Harding.
I'm OK with Dex in springy on a two-way.
How much longer to give Mason? Unless it's determined his presence in the locker room is a separate issue from his play, I guess he could back up. But I think I'd prefer not.
Ideally, a Nash trade, should it take place, would include something here - although not likely as a centerpiece and therefore not an immediate answer.
Isn't Vokoun recovering from a significant injury?

Old
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
If the opportunity presents itself for you guys to offersheet Schneider or Rask, just go out and give them 5 or 6M a year for 4 or 5 years and finally fix the problem.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
wahsnairb

i have been saying it for what seems to be ages now: SIGN HARDING

go look at his numbers on a meh minnesota team.. if we get production like that, our record would be substantialllllllllllly better than with mason jobbing us half the games he played.

Harding
Dex or Sanford
Dansk/Subban/Vasilevski (if he is who is left at our pick)
Corbeil

Old
05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
scrogs63

Still give Dex a chance, 1yr, two way. You never know what may happen

Old
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Nordique

My beef with this poll is the wording.

"Insist" is a pretty strong word.

While a strong Goalie (Rask for example) would be my top priority in a Nash deal, I would also advise Howson be open minded to all offers.

Bottom line is that we've had barely 2 seasons in our entire existence in which we had a strong goal tending, and one of those was the inaugural season. This team will not turn the corner without a strong goalie in the net.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post

go look at his numbers on a meh minnesota team.. if we get production like that, our record would be substantialllllllllllly better than with mason jobbing us half the games he played.

Harding
Dex or Sanford
Corbeil
York

Would also consider Dainton as a system depth ECHL guy

Harding - (Dex/Sanford)
(Dex/Sanford) - York

Draft Pick/ Corbeil/ Dainton/ Forsberg

Old
05-23-2012, 10:26 AM
jacks johnson

Dex hasnt had injury issues in the past. From what i remember, he was barreled into in preseason, and had to have surgery on his ankle. Tried to come back late in the season, but had complications. He is a 26 year old goalie, that has put up stellar numbers at the ahl level. What do we risk by signing him to a 2 way contract ? If he was being compared to Holtby, thats good enough for me. He is young, and we need depth. Assuming he is healthy, should be a no brainer. Just because he fell thru the cracks with nashville, people shouldnt write him off.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post

Harding
Dex or Sanford
Corbeil
Harding has always been in this weird situation; he's signed a one-year contract three years in a row for less than a million dollars. You'd have to believe he'd be itching to get a starting job, or at least a fair shot at one.

But no, I wouldn't just sign him outright. I'd throw a low-level roster player at Minnesota for him and Mike Lundin (another pending UFA, who the Wild have no interest in retaining). He'd add a mobile shutdown defenseman onto the blueline.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Richards should certainly be in a position to thumbs up or down on Harding. If he got along with him then maybe we have an inside track on signing him. If they didn't, well then scratch one candidate off the list.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Harding has always been in this weird situation; he's signed a one-year contract three years in a row for less than a million dollars. You'd have to believe he'd be itching to get a starting job, or at least a fair shot at one.

But no, I wouldn't just sign him outright. I'd throw a low-level roster player at Minnesota for him and Mike Lundin (another pending UFA, who the Wild have no interest in retaining). He'd add a mobile shutdown defenseman onto the blueline.
By trading for him rather than waiting for free agency, would we then be able to negotiate with him prior to July 1 and the draft and so know where we stand before considering a Nash trade and/or draft plans?

Would that be the plan?

Old
05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Richards should certainly be in a position to thumbs up or down on Harding. If he got along with him then maybe we have an inside track on signing him. If they didn't, well then scratch one candidate off the list.
I think Richards is also professional enough to know that getting along with someone is largely irrelevant to whether he can help the team.

Richards' second year was when Harding was injured and missed the entire season. His first year, Harding had his worst season in the NHL. Just taking a glance at his game log, he wasn't sheltered to any real extent; he saw decent action against the best teams in the league.

That said, it was also Niklas Backstrom's worst year as an NHLer as well, by a very noticeable margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
By trading for him rather than waiting for free agency, would we then be able to negotiate with him prior to July 1 and the draft and so know where we stand before considering a Nash trade and/or draft plans?

Would that be the plan?
I think it's reasonable, and yes, that would be the idea. The Wisniewski deal last year was done in the same way; trade a low draft pick for an unsigned player who's about to hit free agency, and try to get a deal done before then.

It's not as funny as it used to be, when compensatory picks were given out for losing a UFA. Most people don't remember that Mike Richter was once property of Nashville (expansion draft) and Edmonton (trade for future considerations). Both times, that team had no interest in signing him, but when he signed with the Rangers, it would count as the other team having lost him. Thus, they would get a compensatory pick for having done nothing.

In the 2000 expansion draft, Columbus did the same thing by picking up Dallas Drake and Mathieu Schneider. Dwayne Roloson didn't count for anything, because he signed an AHL deal rather than sign with Columbus. And that's why we all hate Dwayne Roloson....a 31-year-old career minor leaguer basically saying, "Screw my one chance at making the NHL, I'd rather play in the AHL than make NHL cash with you guys!"

Old
05-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Wisnutsen21

I wonder if we could get Ryan Kesler as part of a trade with Vancouver.. he struggled with injuries last year so they might be willing to part with him. He went to OSU so i don't think there will be any issues with him not wanting to be here i would assume

To Van.

Nash
2nd

To CBJ.

Kesler
Luongo

Nash can dominate on a line with the Sedins, Kesler immediately fills our #1 center spot.. something he would never do in Van because they can't split up the twins.. Luongo solves our goalie problem.

Win for CBJ

Win for Van

Win for Nash

Win for Kesler

Old
05-23-2012, 11:15 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Dex hasnt had injury issues in the past. From what i remember, he was barreled into in preseason, and had to have surgery on his ankle. Tried to come back late in the season, but had complications. He is a 26 year old goalie, that has put up stellar numbers at the ahl level. What do we risk by signing him to a 2 way contract ? If he was being compared to Holtby, thats good enough for me. He is young, and we need depth. Assuming he is healthy, should be a no brainer. Just because he fell thru the cracks with nashville, people shouldnt write him off.
Slight modification...

Dex was hurt in a preseason game - the dreaded high ankle sprain. The CBJ sent him to Springy for a rehab stint. He subsequently pulled his groin during warm-ups of the first game he was supposed to start in. So, he was out again. The ankle surgery was after trying to return later in the season.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWoRlfe View Post
I wonder if we could get Ryan Kesler as part of a trade with Vancouver.. he struggled with injuries last year so they might be willing to part with him. He went to OSU so i don't think there will be any issues with him not wanting to be here i would assume

To Van.

Nash
2nd

To CBJ.

Kesler
Luongo

Nash can dominate on a line with the Sedins, Kesler immediately fills our #1 center spot.. something he would never do in Van because they can't split up the twins.. Luongo solves our goalie problem.

Win for CBJ

Win for Van

Win for Nash

Win for Kesler
Other than the fact that he and Umberger don't get along...

Old
05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
FANonymous

Quote:

To Van.

Nash
2nd

To CBJ.

Kesler
Luongo

Win for CBJ

Win for Van

Win for Nash

Win for Kesler
Lunogo's contract. UGH

Old
05-23-2012, 11:25 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Other than the fact that he and Umberger don't get along...
From what I have read that feud has calmed down significantly

Old
05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think Richards is also professional enough to know that getting along with someone is largely irrelevant to whether he can help the team.

Richards' second year was when Harding was injured and missed the entire season. His first year, Harding had his worst season in the NHL. Just taking a glance at his game log, he wasn't sheltered to any real extent; he saw decent action against the best teams in the league.

That said, it was also Niklas Backstrom's worst year as an NHLer as well, by a very noticeable margin.
My post was poorly worded. Should have said Richards would have a pretty good idea of whether or not Harding can handle a #1 slot. It's always a good idea to get along but it would be a plus when considering multiple factors in a free agency choice.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Lunogo's contract. UGH
Change Luongo to Schneider, then we talk. No way we should take on luongo's contract, money wise, nor term.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

To Van.

Nash
2nd

To CBJ.

Kesler
Luongo

Win for CBJ

Win for Van

Win for Nash

Win for Kesler
Vancouver gets the two best pieces in that deal. Luongo is 33 and likely to start declining. I might be the only one who espouses taking a real hardball stance with Vancouver over acquiring Luongo, but this goes too far the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
From what I have read that feud has calmed down significantly
It's still a possibility to creep up again in the future. I mean, the front office gets blasted for not being clairvoyant over Dekanich's injuries or Carter's pouting, so I don't see taking this on and banking on an intensely personal feud calming down being worth taking a shot on.

Closed Thread