HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
So Latvia was 4 down and Masalskis semi-injured.
Denmark was 4 down as well in key players.
Thats was simply 4 too many.......QF really was very far away for both of us.
Norway just managed with 4 ok d-men...the third pair really a prime reason why the lost many matches among the better teams. But Denmark only had 1 ok d-pair and our defence sucked. Norway's attack was really fantastic. Great PP and shots. Denmark's forwards also sucked....only thing Denmark didn't suck at was Frans Nielsen and his PK.
Latvia more or less totally depends on M. Redlihs offensively. It seems the team more or less stands and falls with him.
Daugavins is very uneven....can be good but also make stupid decisions.
Girgensons is still very young, but hope to see him matured for 2014.

At least I think Nolan does a good work with finding lines that work well together. It looked really great the first matches this WC.
I`m sure he will.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I think he has made certain conclusions about certain players and if they don`t change their attitude in wc 2013 they may not get the chance to be on Olympic roster(ofcourse if we qualify)
Yeah without discipline small teams dont stand a chance. Thats why Denmark have had some danish league forwards that have played multiple WC because they are totally dependable. They work for the team 100%

Example Thor Dresler:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=791
Played most of his career for Herlev (highlights of career have been playing for Herning and 3 years in different Allsvenskan clubs). Still he is always one of the first to be called for the danish 4'th line in WC. Sadly this year he had to say no because of studies.
He is the absolute Mr. Dependable. "Play hard, play smart".

Nolan will probably find a fourth line he knows will works the behind out of the trousers. Not some with fancy plays or ideas of own greatness.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah without discipline small teams dont stand a chance. Thats why Denmark have had some danish league forwards that have played multiple WC because they are totally dependable. They work for the team 100%

Example Thor Dresler:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=791
Played most of his career for Herlev (highlights of career have been playing for Herning and 3 years in different Allsvenskan clubs). Still he is always one of the first to be called for the danish 4'th line in WC. Sadly this year he had to say no because of studies.
He is the absolute Mr. Dependable. "Play hard, play smart".

Nolan will probably find a fourth line he knows will works the behind out of the trousers. Not some with fancy plays or ideas of own greatness.
Absolutley,all Nolan needs is time,i`m sure if we give him the time improvements will be pretty noticable

Old
05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Justinov

Quote:
About Daugavins this is my honest opinion- i think he has to leave NHL and come to KHL because hes wasting his skill playing as a grinder in 3d and 4th lines,he could be way more effective if he played in the khl in the first 2 lines,but thats my opinion anyway.
Daugavins seems like the typical latvian "line 1-2 or bust" kind of player. He is not a grinding player...and playing on lower lines just makes his talent rusty. I agree he should go to KHL, SEL or Sm-liiga.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Daugavins seems like the typical latvian "line 1-2 or bust" kind of player. He is not a grinding player...and playing on lower lines just makes his talent rusty. I agree he should go to KHL, SEL or Sm-liiga.
KHL would probably be hes number one priority right after NHL,as he said if he cant play in NHL he will play with Dinamo riga.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Justinov

So what's your take on Girgensons?
He is quite big and apparently don't mind getting physical´so he seems good for NHL.
But how is his psychy? Does he have "star-complex" or is he down to earth?
Mental aspect is very important when you have to slowly move up the NHL lines. All the danish players generally started on 4'th after AHL and then moved gradually up to where they have reached so far. Many russian players dont have the patience for that, if they can have a good contract in KHL.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
So what's your take on Girgensons?
He is quite big and apparently don't mind getting physical´so he seems good for NHL.
But how is his psychy? Does he have "star-complex" or is he down to earth?
Mental aspect is very important when you have to slowly move up the NHL lines. All the danish players generally started on 4'th after AHL and then moved gradually up to where they have reached so far. Many russian players dont have the patience for that, if they can have a good contract in KHL.
Hes as down to earth as a hockey player could be ,good at physical play.has nose for goals,thats why on some draft rankings he appears as high as 10-13th place in 1st round

Old
05-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Hes as down to earth as a hockey player could,good at physical play.has nose for goals,thats why on some draft rankings he appears as high as 10-13th place in 1st round
OK that looks promising. But even being on 1'st draft doesn't mean that you will play NHL right away. Can easily take some years......so thats why you need the patience and aptitude for hard work (and that is a talent in itself)
Jannik Hansen is famous for being the most hardworking guy many players have ever seen. He is training even when the other training freaks are finally going home to sleep. Teammates call him "World Champion in practice" in Vancouver (though he is still a bit of a stonehand, but apparently he can score when training). But as bottom 9'th drafted he wasn't an obvious talent at all...but had patience, willpower and enomours work capacity. Players that are very gifted and early become a youth fix star in a smaller country might stop developing because they think they are "gods gift to hockey" and get lazy. So glad to hear Girgensons is serious all the way.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
OK that looks promising. But even being on 1'st draft doesn't mean that you will play NHL right away. Can easily take some years......so thats why you need the patience and aptitude for hard work (and that is a talent in itself)
Jannik Hansen is famous for being the most hardworking guy many players have ever seen. He is training even when the other training freaks are finally going home to sleep. Teammates call him "World Champion in practice" in Vancouver (though he is still a bit of a stonehand, but apparently he can score when training). But as bottom 9'th drafted he wasn't an obvious talent at all...but had patience, willpower and enomours work capacity. Players that are very gifted and early become a youth fix star in a smaller country might stop developing because they think they are "gods gift to hockey" and get lazy. So glad to hear Girgensons is serious all the way.
You might say Girgensons is the complete opposite of the Roberts Bukarts(plays in Dinamo riga),he has the talent and skill,but his work ethic is horrendous,hes still only 21 he has the time to fix his mindset if he doesnt i`ts game over for him

Old
05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Justinov

Quote:
You might say Girgensons is the complete opposite of the Roberts Bukarts(plays in Dinamo riga),he has the talent and skill,but his work ethic is horrendous,hes still only 21 he has the time to fix his mindset if he doesnt i`ts game over for him
So Burkarts can easily become a 1-2 line or bust player. If he doesn't get immidiate success IN NHL he might try KHL and if that doesn't turn well either he risk doing a Kirill Starkov [AHL-KHL-SEL-Allsvenskan-Danish League].
In Denmark people have the same suspecion with Thomas Spelling, though not that bad work ethics. But he probably starts in Sweden that is the best place for danish players to learn defensive discipline instead of going directly to North America.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Quote:
KHL would probably be hes number one priority right after NHL,as he said if he cant play in NHL he will play with Dinamo riga.
Daugavins is not a skill player in the NHL. He does a good job of playing his role for Ottawa and kills penalties well. Maybe on Riga he'd be a top 6 player, but his game is best suited to a grinder role. He's not the goal scorer he was in junior. His game has matured and he's become a bottom 6 guy who can contribute occasionally on the scoreboard, while killing penalties and checking hard.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:08 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
So Burkarts can easily become a 1-2 line or bust player. If he doesn't get immidiate success IN NHL he might try KHL and if that doesn't turn well either he risk doing a Kirill Starkov [AHL-KHL-SEL-Allsvenskan-Danish League].
In Denmark people have the same suspecion with Thomas Spelling, though not that bad work ethics. But he probably starts in Sweden that is the best place for danish players to learn defensive discipline instead of going directly to North America.
Nooo this ROBERTS Bukarts not Rihards,Rihards is the 16 year old talented guy(hes brother of roberts) Rihards(the 16 year old is More of girgensons-type hard working,high skilled,good physical play)
Roberts Bukarts the 21 year old might be khl 1-2 liner if he changes attitude,idk if i could see him in the NHL

Old
05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Daugavins is not a skill player in the NHL. He does a good job of playing his role for Ottawa and kills penalties well. Maybe on Riga he'd be a top 6 player, but his game is best suited to a grinder role. He's not the goal scorer he was in junior. His game has matured and he's become a bottom 6 guy who can contribute occasionally on the scoreboard, while killing penalties and checking hard.
Thats the whole point of my post.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
You really think he is a good grinder? I thought at the WC that he had tendancies to make risky plays and often take stupid penalties? Penalties on big ice is really really severe...just see what Norway did with them.
My point is that maybe he lost his sniper-skill playing as a grinder. OK he manage to change his playing style. But small nations don't really need grinding players (they have a lot of them)...they desperately need snipers. So for a Latvian view if was the wrong development. For Ottawa is off course great if he does a good job...but it's just that this kind of game while good in NHL can destroy a team on big ice.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:13 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You really think he is a good grinder? I thought at the WC that he had tendancies to make risky plays and often take stupid penalties? Penalties on big ice is really really severe...just see what Norway did with them.
My point is that maybe he lost his sniper-skill playing as a grinder. OK he manage to change his playing style. But small nations don't really need grinding players (they have a lot of them)...they desperately need snipers. So for a Latvian view if was the wrong development. For Ottawa is off course great if he does a good job...but it's just that this kind of game while good in NHL can destroy a team on big ice.
Thank you,these are exactly my thoughts

Old
05-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Nooo this ROBERTS Bukarts not Rihards,Rihards is the 16 year old talented guy(hes brother of roberts) Rihards(the 16 year old is More of girgensons-type hard working,high skilled,good physical play)
Roberts Bukarts the 21 year old might be khl 1-2 liner if he changes attitude,idk if i could see him in the NHL
Oh sorry...too many Burkarts lol (but less than Redlihses).
but Roberts B. then still is a 1-2 line or bust in the KHL then

Old
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Oh sorry...too many Burkarts lol (but less than Redlihses).
but Roberts B. then still is a 1-2 line or bust in the KHL then
Yes,i think this is the tendency with Latvian players.If he changes his mindset this summer,he could end up as succsesful as Darzins or Mikelis.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
1)So I guess all danish/norwegian -sen or swedish -son names will just be -sens or -sons in Latvian?
2)Russian -ov names becomes -ovs, 3)what about the more Ukrainian -(ch)enko?
4)Most German names probably also get -s, right?
5)Can you give some examples of french sounding names where you wont end with -s?
1)yes, Jannik Hansen (Janniks Hansens), Henrik Zetterberg ( Henriks Zeterbergs)
2)yes
3)"o" can stay, because words can end with a vowels, Gilbert Brule ( Žilberts Brulē), Sobchenko (Sobčenko), Andy Garcia (Endijs Garsija).In general, if your surname ends wit a vowel, there's a good chance it will stay there in your surname's Latvian version
4) yes
5) Is Zidane french surname? Not sure because of his Algerian roots, if yes then - Zidāns. But in reality this example won't really help because that "e" at the end of his last name is silent (you don't pronouce it). If Zidane would rhyme with Brule, it wouldn't end with "s" but with "e". That's why I previously said that French surnames are a mess to convert to our language. Though the biggest mess is with last names that have silent first letters, like Cristobal Huet (Ujē; Uē; Hjuē and few more versions probably)

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
ozo

Quote:
What if he doesn`t? You are no better than us who believe that Indrasis can make it.
At least I'm not penciling him on a same line as a sure NHL first round draftee. Our unrealistic expectations could really hurt him as well, he will be under severe scrutinity next fall, that's for sure.

But just for the record, I really hope he pans out and bcomes next Darzins or even better.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
ozo

Quote:
Rihards(the 16 year old is More of girgensons-type hard working,high skilled,good physical play)
Where did you hear that? All I've heard is that he is carbon copy of his brother.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:31 PM
BalticWarrior

To ozo about rihards bukarts i`ve seen him play he really looks nothing like his brother he doesn`t avoid physical play and is not even close to beeing as lazy as his brother.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
1)yes, Jannik Hansen (Janniks Hansens), Henrik Zetterberg ( Henriks Zeterbergs)
2)yes
3)"o" can stay, because words can end with a vowels, Gilbert Brule ( Žilberts Brulē), Sobchenko (Sobčenko), Andy Garcia (Endijs Garsija).In general, if your surname ends wit a vowel, there's a good chance it will stay there in your surname's Latvian version
4) yes
5) Is Zidane french surname? Not sure because of his Algerian roots, if yes then - Zidāns. But in reality this example won't really help because that "e" at the end of his last name is silent (you don't pronouce it). If Zidane would rhyme with Brule, it wouldn't end with "s" but with "e". That's why I previously said that French surnames are a mess to convert to our language. Though the biggest mess is with last names that have silent first letters, like Cristobal Huet (Ujē; Uē; Hjuē and few more versions probably)
Thank you very much!
About Huet....the silent H in the begining can just be reoved -> should probably just be phonetically /ü-ē/ in Latvian to be correct and then it would fit with Brulē.
But to write it I see the problem since it ends with a silent T, but best to probably omit that as well and stay with Üē (if you have umlauts in latvian or can use them for foreign words?)

Old
05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Thank you very much!
About Huet....the silent H in the begining can just be reoved -> should probably just be phonetically /ü-ē/ in Latvian to be correct and then it would fit with Brulē.
But to write it I see the problem since it ends with a silent T, but best to probably omit that as well and stay with Üē (if you have umlauts in latvian or can use them for foreign words?)
We don`t and we don`t use them on foreign words

Old
05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
BalticWarrior

Interesting announcments by Lipmans,if i understand correctly,Nolan stays,but assistant coaches Abols and Ignatjevs are good as gone.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Justinov

Quote:
We don`t and we don`t use them on foreign words
Oh you like creating all kinds of problems for yourself
Well.....what is then the most difference between a persons original name and how its written and pronounced in latvian??
Must have some french-canadian hockey players that end up to be unrecognizable? (their names are often even weird for french people )