HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What would it take to get Parise?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
  #76
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Probability of Parise - 0 percent.

Lou Lam will not let this guy go, cap problems or otherwise, because quite frankly he's not replaceable. you don't let a player of this calibre walk.

On the flipside, if Lou can't get a deal done Parise will get leaguewide interest, and he surely won't be going to the 3rd worst team in the NHL. Even if some fans in Montreal don't think the team deserves that position.
It's not about what Lamorellio wants it's about what he can afford.

I'm sure he can get Parise signed but then he has to turn around and trade guys like Elias Clarkson Zubrus Zajac to balance the budget and end up with 2 star forwards and no supporting cast. I don't see New Jersey going for that.

We are definitely not among the favorites, but we have a much better than 0% cahnce if Bergevin thinks Parise is a piece we want right now. Just by trading for his rights and making him a big offer before July 1st, that would give us at least a 30-40% chance right there. Yeah the Habs missed the playoffs, but anybody associated with the NHL knows they have been IN the playoffs the 4 or 5 years before and have a solid core of young players and a goalie that could lead a team to a cup.

I still see teams like Detroit, Minnesota, Boston and San Jose as the 4 favorites.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:26 AM
  #77
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Semin will be worth much more than $3m
IMHO he wasn't this past season, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose if he feels insulted by that lowball offer. I don't want him... unless I'm desperate and have nowhere else to turn. And there's some chance based on the reputation he has built for himself that he'll be a little desperate too. If he wants to stay in the NHL, anyway.

It's all subjective. I'm willing to "underpay" by some peoples' standards for Semin, but "overpay" for Parise.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
  #78
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
IMHO he wasn't this past season, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose if he feels insulted by that lowball offer. I don't want him... unless I'm desperate and have nowhere else to turn. And there's some chance based on the reputation he has built for himself that he'll be a little desperate too. If he wants to stay in the NHL, anyway.

It's all subjective. I'm willing to "underpay" by some peoples' standards for Semin, but "overpay" for Parise.
I have no issue "overpaying" for Semin as long as it's for 1-2 years. I would use a guy like Markov to try and encourage him to come and sell him on the chance to rebuild his value and sign a monster deal in 1-2 years. This way you leave the door open to letting him walk once the young forwards are ready to step up.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:09 PM
  #79
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,077
vCash: 500
I'm sure Parise is foaming at the mouth in his eagerness to sign with a 15th place team.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
  #80
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm sure Parise is foaming at the mouth in his eagerness to sign with a 15th place team.
I think most hockey people know the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one. Plus, big bucks have a way of making a team look a lot better also.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
  #81
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think most hockey people know the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one. Plus, big bucks have a way of making a team look a lot better also.
All teams have money to offer for a great player. Some have money and a successful team to offer.

Montreal has SFA to offer a free agent , it will be a multi year drought on that front until the team becomes competitive.

Who are these hockey people who "know" the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one? All I've heard are the same hf-people who for 3 years have been repeating the line that the team is better than it's record. It's not.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM
  #82
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
I dont think he'd play here. He's Minny, Detroit or jersey bound...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
  #83
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
All teams have money to offer for a great player. Some have money and a successful team to offer.

Montreal has SFA to offer a free agent , it will be a multi year drought on that front until the team becomes competitive.

Who are these hockey people who "know" the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one? All I've heard are the same hf-people who for 3 years have been repeating the line that the team is better than it's record. It's not.
1/3 of teams in the NHL don't have the cash flow to throw 8 mil/year on a guy like Parise.

1/3 of the teams in the NHL either don't have the cap room and would need to shuffle half the roster or have other, higher priority needs.

So it will come down to the other 10 teams.

Those hockey people are the ones that work for NHL teams. If you are in the minority that thinks the whole roster sucks and we won't make the playoffs for 3 more years then I'm not going to waste time arguing with you.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
  #84
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I dont think he'd play here. He's Minny, Detroit or jersey bound...
I think Detroit and Minnesota are two of the top spots, I think NJ is a longshot simply because they'd have to gut the roster to make it work. I don't see them spending a dime more than the cap floor with the team basically bankrupt.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
  #85
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
1/3 of teams in the NHL don't have the cash flow to throw 8 mil/year on a guy like Parise.

1/3 of the teams in the NHL either don't have the cap room and would need to shuffle half the roster or have other, higher priority needs.

So it will come down to the other 10 teams.

Those hockey people are the ones that work for NHL teams. If you are in the minority that thinks the whole roster sucks and we won't make the playoffs for 3 more years then I'm not going to waste time arguing with you.
The problem is that this is your measure of success. My measure is different, and based on the hole that the previous regime dug it's going to be a lot more than 3 years before they are anywhere close to being legitimately successful.

Players like Parise know this too, that's why there is no amount of money that could lure him over to this team in it's current condition. As Teufelsdreck said, it'll take a gun to make it happen.

I am not arguing with you here, just trying to stop you from fooling yourself.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
  #86
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm sure Parise is foaming at the mouth in his eagerness to sign with a 15th place team.
Because everything stays the same year in and year out in the NHL

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:05 PM
  #87
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The problem is that this is your measure of success. My measure is different, and based on the hole that the previous regime dug it's going to be a lot more than 3 years before they are anywhere close to being legitimately successful.

Players like Parise know this too, that's why there is no amount of money that could lure him over to this team in it's current condition. As Teufelsdreck said, it'll take a gun to make it happen.

I am not arguing with you here, just trying to stop you from fooling yourself.
What do you consider successful?

I think with a good coach, bounce back years from a few guys and a couple minor additions the Habs can easily be back in the top 15 in the NHL. That's 5th to 8th in the conference.

Even as crappy a year as they had they still had a better GF GA differential than Florida and only 6 off from Washington who took out Boston and nearly took out the Rangers.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:09 AM
  #88
NORiculous
Registered User
 
NORiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not about what Lamorellio wants it's about what he can afford.

I'm sure he can get Parise signed but then he has to turn around and trade guys like Elias Clarkson Zubrus Zajac to balance the budget and end up with 2 star forwards and no supporting cast. I don't see New Jersey going for that.
Elias has 1 year left, Zubrus is dim a dozen and if you don't want to sign Parise because Zajac Clarkson then something is wrong.

I don't get why you don't see NJ going that wAy. Top that with the fact the with a cup win, Brodeur/ Elis could call it a career.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
  #89
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,242
vCash: 500
A little cap talk here guys, landing Parise with a great offer may not be that difficult, if the talk on the main board is true, where the cap is going to 70.3M top end? Gomez to the AHL and we have ton of cap room, if there is even a season?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:48 PM
  #90
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
IMHO he wasn't this past season, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose if he feels insulted by that lowball offer. I don't want him... unless I'm desperate and have nowhere else to turn. And there's some chance based on the reputation he has built for himself that he'll be a little desperate too. If he wants to stay in the NHL, anyway.

It's all subjective. I'm willing to "underpay" by some peoples' standards for Semin, but "overpay" for Parise.
Unfortunately there are teams desperate enough to throw 6 mil at him. I agree, his play is worth more like 3-4 mil but he's going to get more on the open market

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
  #91
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think NJ is a longshot simply because they'd have to gut the roster to make it work. I don't see them spending a dime more than the cap floor with the team basically bankrupt.
Can we bring this up next season when NJ, as always, spend considerably more than the cap floor?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
  #92
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Any money Parise re-signs with NJ no matter what, probably a long long term deal.
More and more teams and their players realize by signing Cap-friendly salaries they can build a Stanley Cup contender and NJ is well aware of that as is Parise.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  #93
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,077
vCash: 500
Isn't it ridiculously naive to think that Parise would sign with the Habs? That's only a step or two above signing with the Blue Jackets.


Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:27 PM
  #94
Toastman
Registered User
 
Toastman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Pass. He's a great player but is about to get massively overpaid.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:35 PM
  #95
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We're not getting Parise or Suter

I do think the Habs will be very active however I have a feeling most moves will be done via trade
I agree with you totally, we are never a serious contender when it comes to big name free agents. I wonder if Stephen Gionta is a free agent? He would come here for sure.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
  #96
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
IMHO he wasn't this past season, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose if he feels insulted by that lowball offer. I don't want him... unless I'm desperate and have nowhere else to turn. And there's some chance based on the reputation he has built for himself that he'll be a little desperate too. If he wants to stay in the NHL, anyway.

It's all subjective. I'm willing to "underpay" by some peoples' standards for Semin, but "overpay" for Parise.
I can see him opting for the KHL, he can play at home, get big bucks and play for Russia at the worlds in the spring and he will be happy. He is not what this franchise needs to be successful.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
  #97
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Pass. He's a great player but is about to get massively overpaid.
I agree. He s a quality player but at 7 or 8 mil per?no way. We don't need him.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:32 PM
  #98
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
I agree. He s a quality player but at 7 or 8 mil per?no way. We don't need him.
i say we offer 8 m for 6 years and see what happens. he would be replacing gomex salary and he way better player. a line of parise pleks gionta would be pretty good especially with a second line of cole DD patch

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:37 PM
  #99
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Actualy there might be a buzz around the new management team, maybe players will be attracted by this; picking 3rd might appeal him as we have a bright future. He's also gonna be the best player on the team so he's gonna play in all situations.

If the management makes a couple of good moves during the draft and make a trade before july 1st, that will look like a team that wants to win. I've heard a couple of players saying they signed for a team because of the way the management was handling things and wanted to win.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:31 PM
  #100
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think most hockey people know the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one. Plus, big bucks have a way of making a team look a lot better also.
Are you really as hopeful as you sound? I agree that they should finish higher, but even the potential to finish six or seven places higher wouldn't satisfy Parise when he's already reached the finals. There are stronger teams who can match the Habs' best offer, not to mention that he would be taxed at a higher rate if he signed in Montréal.

Well, at least you're thinking about a major talent. Some posters suggest taking on UFAs who would at best be third-liners. I'd rather trade for a player who created anxiety in the minds of every Leaf or Bruin fan. The Habs are stocked with picks in the 2012 and 2013 drafts, so this is not unrealistic.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.