HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What would it take to get Parise?

Old
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Probability of Parise - 0 percent.

Lou Lam will not let this guy go, cap problems or otherwise, because quite frankly he's not replaceable. you don't let a player of this calibre walk.

On the flipside, if Lou can't get a deal done Parise will get leaguewide interest, and he surely won't be going to the 3rd worst team in the NHL. Even if some fans in Montreal don't think the team deserves that position.
It's not about what Lamorellio wants it's about what he can afford.

I'm sure he can get Parise signed but then he has to turn around and trade guys like Elias Clarkson Zubrus Zajac to balance the budget and end up with 2 star forwards and no supporting cast. I don't see New Jersey going for that.

We are definitely not among the favorites, but we have a much better than 0% cahnce if Bergevin thinks Parise is a piece we want right now. Just by trading for his rights and making him a big offer before July 1st, that would give us at least a 30-40% chance right there. Yeah the Habs missed the playoffs, but anybody associated with the NHL knows they have been IN the playoffs the 4 or 5 years before and have a solid core of young players and a goalie that could lead a team to a cup.

I still see teams like Detroit, Minnesota, Boston and San Jose as the 4 favorites.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Semin will be worth much more than $3m
IMHO he wasn't this past season, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose if he feels insulted by that lowball offer. I don't want him... unless I'm desperate and have nowhere else to turn. And there's some chance based on the reputation he has built for himself that he'll be a little desperate too. If he wants to stay in the NHL, anyway.

It's all subjective. I'm willing to "underpay" by some peoples' standards for Semin, but "overpay" for Parise.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
IMHO he wasn't this past season, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose if he feels insulted by that lowball offer. I don't want him... unless I'm desperate and have nowhere else to turn. And there's some chance based on the reputation he has built for himself that he'll be a little desperate too. If he wants to stay in the NHL, anyway.

It's all subjective. I'm willing to "underpay" by some peoples' standards for Semin, but "overpay" for Parise.
I have no issue "overpaying" for Semin as long as it's for 1-2 years. I would use a guy like Markov to try and encourage him to come and sell him on the chance to rebuild his value and sign a monster deal in 1-2 years. This way you leave the door open to letting him walk once the young forwards are ready to step up.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm sure Parise is foaming at the mouth in his eagerness to sign with a 15th place team.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm sure Parise is foaming at the mouth in his eagerness to sign with a 15th place team.
I think most hockey people know the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one. Plus, big bucks have a way of making a team look a lot better also.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think most hockey people know the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one. Plus, big bucks have a way of making a team look a lot better also.
All teams have money to offer for a great player. Some have money and a successful team to offer.

Montreal has SFA to offer a free agent , it will be a multi year drought on that front until the team becomes competitive.

Who are these hockey people who "know" the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one? All I've heard are the same hf-people who for 3 years have been repeating the line that the team is better than it's record. It's not.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I dont think he'd play here. He's Minny, Detroit or jersey bound...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
All teams have money to offer for a great player. Some have money and a successful team to offer.

Montreal has SFA to offer a free agent , it will be a multi year drought on that front until the team becomes competitive.

Who are these hockey people who "know" the Habs current roster is not a typical 15th place one? All I've heard are the same hf-people who for 3 years have been repeating the line that the team is better than it's record. It's not.
1/3 of teams in the NHL don't have the cash flow to throw 8 mil/year on a guy like Parise.

1/3 of the teams in the NHL either don't have the cap room and would need to shuffle half the roster or have other, higher priority needs.

So it will come down to the other 10 teams.

Those hockey people are the ones that work for NHL teams. If you are in the minority that thinks the whole roster sucks and we won't make the playoffs for 3 more years then I'm not going to waste time arguing with you.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I dont think he'd play here. He's Minny, Detroit or jersey bound...
I think Detroit and Minnesota are two of the top spots, I think NJ is a longshot simply because they'd have to gut the roster to make it work. I don't see them spending a dime more than the cap floor with the team basically bankrupt.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
1/3 of teams in the NHL don't have the cash flow to throw 8 mil/year on a guy like Parise.

1/3 of the teams in the NHL either don't have the cap room and would need to shuffle half the roster or have other, higher priority needs.

So it will come down to the other 10 teams.

Those hockey people are the ones that work for NHL teams. If you are in the minority that thinks the whole roster sucks and we won't make the playoffs for 3 more years then I'm not going to waste time arguing with you.
The problem is that this is your measure of success. My measure is different, and based on the hole that the previous regime dug it's going to be a lot more than 3 years before they are anywhere close to being legitimately successful.

Players like Parise know this too, that's why there is no amount of money that could lure him over to this team in it's current condition. As Teufelsdreck said, it'll take a gun to make it happen.

I am not arguing with you here, just trying to stop you from fooling yourself.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Because everything stays the same year in and year out in the NHL

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The problem is that this is your measure of success. My measure is different, and based on the hole that the previous regime dug it's going to be a lot more than 3 years before they are anywhere close to being legitimately successful.

Players like Parise know this too, that's why there is no amount of money that could lure him over to this team in it's current condition. As Teufelsdreck said, it'll take a gun to make it happen.

I am not arguing with you here, just trying to stop you from fooling yourself.
What do you consider successful?

I think with a good coach, bounce back years from a few guys and a couple minor additions the Habs can easily be back in the top 15 in the NHL. That's 5th to 8th in the conference.

Even as crappy a year as they had they still had a better GF GA differential than Florida and only 6 off from Washington who took out Boston and nearly took out the Rangers.

Old
05-26-2012, 08:09 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
It's not about what Lamorellio wants it's about what he can afford.

I'm sure he can get Parise signed but then he has to turn around and trade guys like Elias Clarkson Zubrus Zajac to balance the budget and end up with 2 star forwards and no supporting cast. I don't see New Jersey going for that.
Elias has 1 year left, Zubrus is dim a dozen and if you don't want to sign Parise because Zajac Clarkson then something is wrong.

I don't get why you don't see NJ going that wAy. Top that with the fact the with a cup win, Brodeur/ Elis could call it a career.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
BLONG7

A little cap talk here guys, landing Parise with a great offer may not be that difficult, if the talk on the main board is true, where the cap is going to 70.3M top end? Gomez to the AHL and we have ton of cap room, if there is even a season?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Unfortunately there are teams desperate enough to throw 6 mil at him. I agree, his play is worth more like 3-4 mil but he's going to get more on the open market

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Corncob

Quote:
I think NJ is a longshot simply because they'd have to gut the roster to make it work. I don't see them spending a dime more than the cap floor with the team basically bankrupt.
Can we bring this up next season when NJ, as always, spend considerably more than the cap floor?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Any money Parise re-signs with NJ no matter what, probably a long long term deal.
More and more teams and their players realize by signing Cap-friendly salaries they can build a Stanley Cup contender and NJ is well aware of that as is Parise.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Isn't it ridiculously naive to think that Parise would sign with the Habs? That's only a step or two above signing with the Blue Jackets.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old
06-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Toastman

Pass. He's a great player but is about to get massively overpaid.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We're not getting Parise or Suter

I do think the Habs will be very active however I have a feeling most moves will be done via trade
I agree with you totally, we are never a serious contender when it comes to big name free agents. I wonder if Stephen Gionta is a free agent? He would come here for sure.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Craig71

Quote:

I can see him opting for the KHL, he can play at home, get big bucks and play for Russia at the worlds in the spring and he will be happy. He is not what this franchise needs to be successful.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Pass. He's a great player but is about to get massively overpaid.
I agree. He s a quality player but at 7 or 8 mil per?no way. We don't need him.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:32 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
I agree. He s a quality player but at 7 or 8 mil per?no way. We don't need him.
i say we offer 8 m for 6 years and see what happens. he would be replacing gomex salary and he way better player. a line of parise pleks gionta would be pretty good especially with a second line of cole DD patch

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:37 PM
ChoseLa

Actualy there might be a buzz around the new management team, maybe players will be attracted by this; picking 3rd might appeal him as we have a bright future. He's also gonna be the best player on the team so he's gonna play in all situations.

If the management makes a couple of good moves during the draft and make a trade before july 1st, that will look like a team that wants to win. I've heard a couple of players saying they signed for a team because of the way the management was handling things and wanted to win.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Are you really as hopeful as you sound? I agree that they should finish higher, but even the potential to finish six or seven places higher wouldn't satisfy Parise when he's already reached the finals. There are stronger teams who can match the Habs' best offer, not to mention that he would be taxed at a higher rate if he signed in Montréal.

Well, at least you're thinking about a major talent. Some posters suggest taking on UFAs who would at best be third-liners. I'd rather trade for a player who created anxiety in the minds of every Leaf or Bruin fan. The Habs are stocked with picks in the 2012 and 2013 drafts, so this is not unrealistic.