HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Bob and Jim maybe get a chance to call a game

Old
05-23-2012, 02:47 PM
alpa

vCash: 500
Bob and Jim maybe get a chance to call a game

Have not seen this posted so here we go.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632426

If you meet them give them some love from fans overseas as well will you.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
This better go through. This is exactly what I wanted and all Kings fans need. We have a legend in the booth and he has given his whole life for this opportunity, it needs to be realized and he needs to be given his chance to call the most important game in Kings history.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Call a game, but not live from what I get from this comment:

Quote:
Team spokesman Michael Altieri confirmed that there has been a discussion about possibly having Miller and Fox call a potential Cup-clinching game, outside the NBC broadcast, if the Kings got in that position. The logistics are tricky, but the idea would be to record a Miller-Fox "broadcast" for later availability to fans, perhaps on DVD or the Internet.
I hope they do that and would be what many were saying in the other thread about a petition to get Bob and Jim to broadcast a game. Let them call it live so it can be put to DVD. Great idea, and frankly I hope they do it for the entire series so we can watch every game with them broadcasting, even if it's as a repeat.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:56 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
The DVD sales for that would be enormous.

They could literally charge whatever they want and everyone will buy it.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:02 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
The DVD sales for that would be enormous.

They could literally charge whatever they want and everyone will buy it.
Yep, I'd pay whatever they ask, no questions asked. PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN KINGS!

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

If I hear anything more from the Kings I'll pass it on.

Essentially the idea would be that Bob and Jim would call a game live and have the audio recorded, and then the audio could be dubbed over the video at a later date. Similar to when you see video of a Nickson call.

I agree... they'd sell thousands of DVD's of Bob and Jim calling those games. Who knows if they're even able to do that contractually though given that the NHL releases its own DVD of the Cup runs every year.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:26 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If I hear anything more from the Kings I'll pass it on.

Essentially the idea would be that Bob and Jim would call a game live and have the audio recorded, and then the audio could be dubbed over the video at a later date. Similar to when you see video of a Nickson call.

I agree... they'd sell thousands of DVD's of Bob and Jim calling those games. Who knows if they're even able to do that contractually though given that the NHL releases its own DVD of the Cup runs every year.
Who does play by play on those?

Old
05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
SLang

It's such BS because the solution to this problem is to put Bob on the radio with Nick, and have Nick be the color guy.

I tried to listen to Nick last night instead of the NBC jackasses but the radio broadcast was significantly ahead of my DirecTV feed. So in addition they'd have to put probably a 1 minute delay in so people could synch up.

I know it's a pipe dream but it's really not that hard.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Yes please. If we do get into that position and we have the chance to, at the very least, record their live broadcast, I would pay a lot to watch that.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
alpa

I would love to have that so I hope it wouldn't become a local sell.

..and would want that for the whole series not just a game, but that maybe is pushing it too far.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Who does play by play on those?
I don't know... Kings fans have never had one made for them before . I assume it's just feeds of the national broadcasts (NBC and CBC), but you'd need to ask Bruins or Blackhawks fans.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Nefarious
Brad Doty

Quote:
Call a game, but not live from what I get from this comment:

I hope they do that and would be what many were saying in the other thread about a petition to get Bob and Jim to broadcast a game. Let them call it live so it can be put to DVD. Great idea, and frankly I hope they do it for the entire series so we can watch every game with them broadcasting, even if it's as a repeat.
This. In fact, I don't know why they aren't already doing this? Why not?

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Oh I hope something like this happens... ANYTHING to hear Bob & Jim calling the action in maybe the biggest series in Los Angeles Kings history.

Bob Cole's CBC calls last night were such a letdown I cannot tell you.

Another thing, if the Kings [knock on wood] get to hoist that piece of hardware that will not be named, please plan to get Bob Miller out on the ice to hold it too.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
This better go through. This is exactly what I wanted and all Kings fans need. We have a legend in the booth and he has given his whole life for this opportunity, it needs to be realized and he needs to be given his chance to call the most important game in Kings history.
this seems to me to be treading into some dangerous mojo / jinx territory...

I love Bob and all, but I say don't rock the boat.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

We are passed jinxing.. if you can get Bob and Jim to call the game or game. You do it!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Scottkmlps

If I was Nick Nickson, and the finals went to a 7th game, I would step aside and let Miller call that game on the radio. Kings have the lead with a minute left in the game, turn the t.v. to mute and listen to Bob make the call, "And the Los Angeles Kings have won the Stanley Cup!".

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
LadyKing17

I would absolutely buy this dvd. On top of it being an opportunity for a legend to consecrate his contribution to Kings history, it's a heck of a merchandising opportunity for the Kings. I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to make it happen.

LadyKing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

This got me thinking along a different line. Let's say the Kings have a chance to win it at an away game. What about the Kings/AEG opening up Staples Center (charging $5 or something) so that fans can watch it together someplace other than ESPN Zone (though that was fun)? If David Courtney isn't doing an Angel game that night, have him there. Heck, have Bob and Jim do play by play for the game live and blast it through the arena, though they would be in NJ/NY for the game with the team so not sure how that would work..

One can dream...

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Nefarious
Brad Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Oh I hope something like this happens... ANYTHING to hear Bob & Jim calling the action in maybe the biggest series in Los Angeles Kings history.

Bob Cole's CBC calls last night were such a letdown I cannot tell you.

Another thing, if the Kings [knock on wood] get to hoist that piece of hardware that will not be named, please plan to get Bob Miller out on the ice to hold it too.
Big time! Every replay feed I've on NHL.com has that CBC call. Horrible.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:24 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I'd pay for a PPV of every game if it meant I had Bob and Jim. And I'm 100% serious. ****ing joke that they don't get to call games when they're such a great duo.

cnshockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Capn Brown

In terms of calling the games to be heard later on, this is what should have been done all along. It may not be too late to go back and mesh Jim & Bob with rounds two and three for a future DVD release. All that would be needed are the sounds of the game without anybody talking over it. It's not as if Bob and Jim have to "pretend" to not know what happens during the games. The series outcome is known, but most individual goals and plays are, at this point, a distant memory. It shouldn't be too difficult to get done....

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
If I was Nick Nickson, and the finals went to a 7th game, I would step aside and let Miller call that game on the radio. Kings have the lead with a minute left in the game, turn the t.v. to mute and listen to Bob make the call, "And the Los Angeles Kings have won the Stanley Cup!".

And if I was Nick Nickson, Bob & Jim would have been on the radio since the beginning of round 2!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
This got me thinking along a different line. Let's say the Kings have a chance to win it at an away game. What about the Kings/AEG opening up Staples Center (charging $5 or something) so that fans can watch it together someplace other than ESPN Zone (though that was fun)? If David Courtney isn't doing an Angel game that night, have him there. Heck, have Bob and Jim do play by play for the game live and blast it through the arena, though they would be in NJ/NY for the game with the team so not sure how that would work..

One can dream...
Love it. Frankly, they should be doing this for all games when the arena is free (which I assume is almost never), regular season or playoffs.

Quote:
Sorry, but if I'm Nick, no way I step aside. Love the idea, but Nick is fully aware of how rarely the Kings get here. He knows that this could be his only chance to call the Kings winning the cup. Not to sound greedy, but that's (possibly) a once in a lifetime opportunity, I wouldn't pass it up for anyone, even Bob in this case.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Ha ha, I know you are joking, but...

The 12-2 Los Angeles Kings have blown through all the supposed jinx stuff...I say superior talent wins out over beliefs.

That said, I am just as vulnerable to it as others, though I wish I wasn't. We have a local high school here that uses the same logo as the Coyotes (only it is green and white, imagine a green coyote), and I have to drive by it every day when I drop my daughter off at another school, or pick her up, and the only time I viewed it (mistakenly, of course) we lost the next game. LOL

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Quote:
Love it. Frankly, they should be doing this for all games when the arena is free (which I assume is almost never), regular season or playoffs.

Sorry, but if I'm Nick, no way I step aside. Love the idea, but Nick is fully aware of how rarely the Kings get here. He knows that this could be his only chance to call the Kings winning the cup. Not to sound greedy, but that's (possibly) a once in a lifetime opportunity, I wouldn't pass it up for anyone, even Bob in this case.
No way that is fair. Nick has been on almost as long as Bob has, and he was relegated to the radio when Jim Fox came on the scene.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote