HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Connor McDavid or Mathew Barzal

Old
05-22-2012, 11:55 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
Would love to hear this. He's far and away the best '96 born in Ontario.
And the '96 age group from Ontario is apparently one of the best in recent memory, so that makes him even more impressive.
I get that he had a bit of a tough year by his standards, but he's still a very high-end prospect.
To say that his future as an NHL'er is anything but bright is ridiculous at this point.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
Impossible to compare these two yet. Even though McDavid has exceptional status, who knows how he stacks up against Barzal.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeoverhere View Post
coming from a guy that ranked Robby Jackson in his top 10, then he went on to get drafted 153rd overall in the WHL, lol, also didnt even have Adam Musil in his top 30 and he went on to get drafted 6th overall from Red Deer Rebels...dunno man
Jackson is from the States. He would have been taken much, much higher if teams knew he would commit to playing in the CHL.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
dudeoverhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Jackson is from the States. He would have been taken much, much higher if teams knew he would commit to playing in the CHL.
how much higher? there was 12 other American players that were drafted higher than him...and yes obviously if a team knows his going to commit, is he going in the first two rounds?

dudeoverhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
Impossible to compare these two yet. Even though McDavid has exceptional status, who knows how he stacks up against Barzal.
I would expect we will see both these guys at the World U17 this December as underagers. Then the comparisons can begin!

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:36 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Scoutman's a Q scout, ease up... His job is to rank guys for the Q... Not for the Dub...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:05 AM
dudeoverhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Scoutman's a Q scout, ease up... His job is to rank guys for the Q... Not for the Dub...
totally agree with captain crossbar though, its pretty much impossible to compare these two first round overall picks in the chl drafts this year...both are going to be good to watch in future hockey games

dudeoverhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:28 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
I would expect we will see both these guys at the World U17 this December as underagers. Then the comparisons can begin!
I can't remember the last time Team Pacific had an underage player, so I doubt we see him.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Oilersfan21

You will see them at the NHLPA all state all Canadians game on Toronto.

Oilersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:06 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I preface this by saying I haven't seen Barzal play. I've seen McDavid quite a bit and Noel only limited.

Re: McDavid - I think he currently looks better than both Stamkos and Tavares at the same age...but that's really not saying a lot. Players grow, the change, they mature, they fail to mature, etc. I find McDavid's general skill set to be more elite..but time will be the judge.

I've never seen McDavid/Noel in any competition against each other - have they ever played against each other? I've seen Noel. Mentally trying to compare the two (an impossible task) I think McDavid is more advanced...but not by a country mile.

In any event, I think the best time to judge McDavid/Barzal (and Noel...and any of the other top prospects from other countries) is in the autumn of their respective draft years (or in the spring of the year prior).

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:02 AM
NHL Fanatic

Connor McDavid is more comparable to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins over Stamkos and Tavares.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeoverhere View Post
totally agree with captain crossbar though, its pretty much impossible to compare these two first round overall picks in the chl drafts this year...both are going to be good to watch in future hockey games
I know, I'm just pointing out that his job is to predict for the Q...

That being said, will barzal even report to the Thunderbirds ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:36 PM
randylahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I can't remember the last time Team Pacific had an underage player, so I doubt we see him.
I can't either. If it wasn't a Canada Winter Games year, Brule MAY have played as an underager, but we'll never know.

randylahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:57 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Connor McDavid is more comparable to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins over Stamkos and Tavares.
He's saying that he thinks he's better than them not that they compare well.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnk 4 Frk 2012 View Post
No way he is a better prospect than Tavares. They implemented a rule just for him. A couple months ago Ho Sang was rated the top in the draft and McDavid wasn't really considered for the exceptional status.
Ok and they would have implemented it for Ekblad or Mcdavid this year. Just because Tavares was the first doesnt mean he is the best.

A couple months ago Hosang was rated the top in the draft? Really...says who? The 20 OHL gm's didnt say that. The magazines did and other amateur reports. Kingston had Mckeown visiting in November and they knew that they were gonna have the #2 or #1 pick. Mcdavid has been talked about for exceptional status for the last 2-3 years. He has played up a year since he was 7yrs old and was never considered a '97 by his teammates or peers. He was a player that dominated that age group for years. Im not sure what your saying there. Roland Mckeown and Aaron Ekblad are the two best 96' born players in Ontario.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 06-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Except Ho Sang will never be that good of an NHL player, and McDavid will.

Your Tavares point is completely irrelevant by the way. Tavares was born earlier, who's to say McDavid couldn't get the same status?
I completely agree with you.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 06-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylahey View Post
I can't either. If it wasn't a Canada Winter Games year, Brule MAY have played as an underager, but we'll never know.
He played in the U-17's in Newfoundland as a regular player for Pacific, and the year before was a Canada games.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Ok and they would have implemented it for Ekblad or Mcdavid this year. Just because Tavares was the first doesnt mean he is the best.

A couple months ago Hosang was rated the top in the draft? Really...says who?
OHL Central Scouting Midterm rankings.

That said, if you have not seen both Barzal and McDavid play multiple times, its really not fair to judge both. There is a reason why scouts use live viewings to rate players.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post

That said, if you have not seen both Barzal and McDavid play multiple times, its really not fair to judge both. There is a reason why scouts use live viewings to rate players.
Exactly. As it stands right now the list of people who have multiple viewings of Barzel, McDavid, and Noel as well will be short. These guys are all from opposite sides of the country. Based off hype, I would assume McDavid is the best of the group, but I have never seen him play.

The best I can say is each guy is the best of their age group in their region. (Again, I have only seen Noel play)

Old
06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Miller4Gold

Quote:
+1

Live viewing is the only honest way to assess players.

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I didnt judge Barzal. If u read my post correctly u would have noticed I didnt comment on Barzal. That being said dont state the obvious when your not reading posts correctly. Im referring to Hosang being #1 rated . Not one ohl GM would have selected Hosang at #2 or#1 without Mcdavid there, despite him being rated there from different sources.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Exactly. As it stands right now the list of people who have multiple viewings of Barzel, McDavid, and Noel as well will be short. These guys are all from opposite sides of the country. Based off hype, I would assume McDavid is the best of the group, but I have never seen him play.

The best I can say is each guy is the best of their age group in their region. (Again, I have only seen Noel play)
Fair enough although I know several. Ive watched both Matt Barzal and Connor Mcdavid several times. I know Mcdavid a little better. Ive scouted Barzal since the Quebec International Peewee Tournament when he was 12 and dominated and also as a 13-year-old at the 2010 Western Canada bantam AAA championship. Ive seen Barzel 50+ times including this year with BWC.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
I didnt judge Barzal. If u read my post correctly u would have noticed I didnt comment on Barzal. That being said dont state the obvious when your not reading posts correctly. Im referring to Hosang being #1 rated . Not one ohl GM would have selected Hosang at #2 or#1 without Mcdavid there, despite him being rated there from different sources.
You can't be serious. He was far and away the best '96 prospect available for this past OHL Draft. The top players don't always go in the top selections, it's always like that. Seguin wasn't the 9th best in '08, Skinner wasn't the 20th best in '08, Domi wasn't the 8th best in '11 etc.

I'm not sure what you have against Ho Sang, whenever I see a negative comment about him, it's from you. Your other post was already deleted. The kid's 16, just let him be.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Im referring to Hosang being #1 rated . Not one ohl GM would have selected Hosang at #2 or#1 without Mcdavid there, despite him being rated there from different sources.
You asked who would have had Ho-Sang rated #1 at that time, I answered, the team at the Ontario Hockey League Central Scouting did. We had Ho-Sang rated #1 as well at that time. Im sure there where others, but doint know for sure, so I dont guess. McDavid was not a factor, he was not eligible to be rated yet.

Quote:
I didnt judge Barzal. If u read my post correctly u would have noticed I didnt comment on Barzal. That being said dont state the obvious when your not reading posts correctly.
I added a second independent though after answering your question, It had nothing to do with you.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
You can't be serious. He was far and away the best '96 prospect available for this past OHL Draft. The top players don't always go in the top selections, it's always like that. Seguin wasn't the 9th best in '08, Skinner wasn't the 20th best in '08, Domi wasn't the 8th best in '11 etc.

I'm not sure what you have against Ho Sang, whenever I see a negative comment about him, it's from you. Your other post was already deleted. The kid's 16, just let him be.
I dont think so, but to each his own. Id love to hear how u think he brings more to the table than Roland Mckeown? Its not even close to me. Roland brings so much more and then brings a ton of leadership and character. If u took Mcdavid off the 96's this year it would be ROland Mckeown who would be team MVP.

Mcdavid and MCkeown were co-mvp for the team. Judging by what u say u how could they pass on the kid who is far and away the best? All of the 96' marlies teammates and coaching staff saw things a little different than u did.

I only judge hockey players inside the hockey arena. Thats what i do. After they walk out of the rink its over, its nothing personal.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 06-04-2012 at 11:12 PM.