HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Jose Aldo vs 200+ pounders in a street fight, how would it go?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Minimalist*

vCash: 500
Jose Aldo vs 200+ pounders in a street fight, how would it go?

Obviously he could beat non trained 200+ pounders, but how would he fare against the lower end of the heavyweight division in a brawl? Would he have a chance, or would the size and power be too much to overcome?

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Obviously he could beat non trained 200+ pounders, but how would he fare against the lower end of the heavyweight division in a brawl? Would he have a chance, or would the size and power be too much to overcome?
Do you mean the lower end of the UFC heavyweight division? I would think the vast majority of them would destroy him 9 times out of 10.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:11 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
If you mean Jose Aldo vs 210 lb civilians, Jose Aldo would kill them.

See Roger Huerta street fight video.
See "Bully Beatdown" on MTV.
See that old "Pros vs Joes" TV show.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
If you mean Jose Aldo vs 210 lb civilians, Jose Aldo would kill them.

See Roger Huerta street fight video.
See "Bully Beatdown" on MTV.
See that old "Pros vs Joes" TV show.
To be fair most of those guys don't weight 135lbs.

In a street fight Aldo would do fine if he had space to get his shots away and back out. If he was in tight quarters against a guy twice his size he probably wouldn't fair too well.

I know of a few people who have grappled for years and fight/train at 155, but an untrained yet strong 210-220lber will be able to control them on the ground without much problem.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
I think if it was a life or death streetfight, and the guy was a complete layman, he'd just kick the big guy in the balls then take his back and choke him out. Or if he did get taken down he'd probably get a triangle choke or armbar fairly easily.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Guys like Mitrione, Schaub & Gonzaga all smother Aldo easily to a victory

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Peter Griffin

I've always wondered what two flyweights fighting a heavyweight like Lesnar would look like. Something like the scene in Jurassic Park when the two raptors attack the T-Rex is what I'm thinking.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Guys like Mitrione, Schaub & Gonzaga all smother Aldo easily to a victory
A skilled 240+ lb pound fighter hitting someone Aldo's size would be crushing.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I know of a few people who have grappled for years and fight/train at 155, but an untrained yet strong 210-220lber will be able to control them on the ground without much problem.
This was settled in the 5th ever UFC fight. An extremely talented grappler -- Royce Gracie -- fought a very talented grappler -- Ken Shamrock -- who was 40-50 lbs heavier. Over in 3 minutes. And we're going to take someone who isn't even close to as good a fighter as Ken Shamrock? Someone slower and less coordinated?

Martial arts like judo and jiujitsu are all about using technique to overcome size; saying that a bigger guy with little or no training would out-perform him in a contest of what he does every day is comical.

Jose Aldo fights every day. Henrik Zetterberg skates every day. Louis CK works on standup comedy every day. Fernando Alonso drives race cars every day. Regardless of how tough, fast, funny or skilled you think you are, they are better, and it's not even close.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:52 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
This was settled in the 5th ever UFC fight. An extremely talented grappler -- Royce Gracie -- fought a very talented grappler -- Ken Shamrock -- who was 40-50 lbs heavier. Over in 3 minutes. And we're going to take someone who isn't even close to as good a fighter as Ken Shamrock? Someone slower and less coordinated?

Martial arts like judo and jiujitsu are all about using technique to overcome size; saying that a bigger guy with little or no training would out-perform him in a contest of what he does every day is comical..
I would tend to agree with m9 on this one, but I certainly could be mistaken. I consider myself a strong, fairly athletic, 200 pounder. I have a buddy who's around 5'6" 155. I could toss him around like a ragdoll. I'm sure a very skilled BJJ guy could probably get me in some weird submission, but I'm not so sure about your average 155er. That being said, if I couldn't finish him in about thirty seconds I'd be in big trouble. Lol.

But to the OP's original point, I don't think Aldo would stand any chance against a HW on the UFC roster. Take a guy like Pat Barry for instance. He's just hanging onto his job. I'd put a lot of money on him slaughtering Aldo.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:23 AM
m9

Quote:

Martial arts like judo and jiujitsu are all about using technique to overcome size; saying that a bigger guy with little or no training would out-perform him in a contest of what he does every day is comical.

Jose Aldo fights every day. Henrik Zetterberg skates every day. Louis CK works on standup comedy every day. Fernando Alonso drives race cars every day. Regardless of how tough, fast, funny or skilled you think you are, they are better, and it's not even close.
Shamrock being 40lbs heavier is a bit different than 70-100lbs like others are suggesting. Also, Jose Aldo has shown some skills on the ground but he's no Royce Gracie.

Are there current UFC HW's that you would pick to lose over Jose Aldo?

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:40 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Shamrock being 40lbs heavier is a bit different than 70-100lbs like others are suggesting. Also, Jose Aldo has shown some skills on the ground but he's no Royce Gracie.

You making Aldo fight right after the weigh in or the 160-165+ he'll generally be at?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:35 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

Quote:

Hell no, every one of those guys is a killer and would smother him. Trained fighters > not trained fighters, but at the level the current UFC is at 6 weight classes is a comical difference. Anderson Silva could hang with some of the strikers (love to see him fight Chieck Kongo) and GSP might be able to deal with a couple of the light heavyweights, but 70 lbs is waaaay too much if you're talking about a bigger guy who is a trained fighter.

Jose Aldo could take James Toney in an MMA fight. That's it.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

If Aldo got in to a scrap with some big tough guy, that has no fighting experience, he would DESTROY HIM. Some of you guys don't understand how ****ing deadly these dudes are. What the **** is he going to do when Jose Aldo takes his big back, and sinks his hooks in?

People in real life, no matter how tough they are, can't **** with any of these dudes. They are essentially trained killers.

Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
If Aldo got in to a scrap with some big tough guy, that has no fighting experience, he would DESTROY HIM. Some of you guys don't understand how ****ing deadly these dudes are. What the **** is he going to do when Jose Aldo takes his big back, and sinks his hooks in?

People in real life, no matter how tough they are, can't **** with any of these dudes. They are essentially trained killers.
Yeah probably but in a street fight a brick or a blunt object kind of evens things up. Jose Aldo would beat up any frat boy or fake toughguy for sure but if you tangle with legitimate hoods or toughguys it wouldn't be a one on one fight and probably not with just fists.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote