HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tennis/Hockey elbow ??

Old
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
deadphish23

vCash: 500
Tennis/Hockey elbow ??

I think I may have this. It was real bad about a year ago, but after a few months off it subsided. Now I am playing about 2-3 times a week and it is flaring back up. What kind of treatments or therapies have you used for this? Is time off the best medicine?

deadphish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I dealt with this about a year ago after doing hours of stick handling and shooting every day.
Motrin/Ibuprofen and ice for pain relief is what I used but time off is the best remedy.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
deadphish23

Was the Ibuprofen soley for pain, or did it help repair the tendon, too?

Old
05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish23 View Post
Was the Ibuprofen soley for pain, or did it help repair the tendon, too?
Just pain. It's an anti-inflammatory so it's good for pain and muscular soreness but it's not going to repair tendons. Your best bet is take time off. The last thing you want to do is permanent damage or create an even bigger setback with overworking it.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
newfr4u

do full-range of motion stretches on your wrists, elbows, and shoulder joints. massage your forearms, biceps, triceps.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
nuckss

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish23 View Post
I think I may have this. It was real bad about a year ago, but after a few months off it subsided. Now I am playing about 2-3 times a week and it is flaring back up. What kind of treatments or therapies have you used for this? Is time off the best medicine?
You might also have too stiff a stick. I stopped using my dolomite warrior stick because it was killing my elbow. I switched to a total one-two piece and all is good.

nuckss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckss View Post
You might also have too stiff a stick. I stopped using my dolomite warrior stick because it was killing my elbow. I switched to a total one-two piece and all is good.
This could definitely be a reason. A stick too long and too stiff puts undue strain on the elbows and shoulders (oh dear...)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I got this when I had an 87 flex cut down to 110-120 flex. It went away when I started using the right flex for my height (5'8, and I use 70 flex give or take).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:00 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
do full-range of motion stretches on your wrists, elbows, and shoulder joints. massage your forearms, biceps, triceps.
This strategy (plus rest, icing and ibuprofen) is what I have to do. My wrist and hand get very sore and I suspect it's from tendonitis. I play 3 times a week and I really feel it those weeks. My wrist and hand thank me on the weeks I only play once or twice.

I know it sucks to take time off, but consider taking a couple weeks off to let it get back to normal and then make sure you stretch it nicely before AND DURING games.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With my wrists I occasionally get light sprains, and doing wrist stretches makes it worst. Rest, compression, and Advil take care of it with a few days.

I even got one of those goofy tennis elbow braces and honestly it didn't do much until I finally stopped using the stick. Literally never had a problem since, and that was six years ago.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm another vote for changing sticks. I used to have elbow pain when I was using a Vapor XVI on ice and a NB One50 shaft for roller. Then I switched to a One95 OPS for ice and a One95 shaft for roller, and the pain was gone within a few weeks.

The stick weight seems to be what made the difference for me, since the flex didn't change much, if at all.

Now I'm using a TotalOne OPS on ice and a TotalOne shaft for roller, and I'm still pain free.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:22 AM
qmechanic

I don't know much about this, but don't the pros tape their wrists? Particularly defensemen who take a lot of slap shots? Would that help?

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Stickmata

One of my line mates is also a serious tennis player and he gets this from time to time. He swears by glucosamine pills to alleviate the joint pain.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
With my wrists I occasionally get light sprains, and doing wrist stretches makes it worst. Rest, compression, and Advil take care of it with a few days.

I even got one of those goofy tennis elbow braces and honestly it didn't do much until I finally stopped using the stick. Literally never had a problem since, and that was six years ago.
wrist sprains are injuries that elongate the ligaments. you should not be stretching those. taping the wrists and wearing braces help those.

golf elbow is most commonly caused by shoulder/forearm muscles being too tight or shortened, which in turn limits your shoulder/elbow external rotation and puts extra forces on the ligaments through the elbow. stretching the shoulder muscles helps that particular problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
I don't know much about this, but don't the pros tape their wrists? Particularly defensemen who take a lot of slap shots? Would that help?
you should tape your wrists. it's very safe on its own, and reduces risk of wrist sprains from falls, etc. unless you have a wrist injury that hasn't fully healed, it really won't help you on slapshots.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 03:01 PM
BearFlag

I just came back from a camp where I played 3hrs a day for a week, causing my left elbow flared up (I'm right handed) from all that stick handling. The pain went away when I came back (2 days rest), but when played again last night my elbow became really sore afterwards.

Does anyone know of there any wraps or sleeves I can wear on my left elbow while playing, that will prevent it from flaring up? I would hate to have to take time off.

Thanks.

Last edited by BearFlag: 08-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.
BearFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I have the same problem with my knee. I just use one of those icyhot wrap things on it and leave it alone/pop a few painkillers.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Guffaw

I've had it as we'll. Lower flex stick, forearm stretching,
ice all help somewhat. Straining that tendon/ligament less is what really got mine to go away though. I was straining that area at work, in the gym, then on the ice and it just kept getting worse.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
shoeshine boy

I had a similar problem from December 2012 until May 2013. basically the exact same thing as tennis elbow. I used this wrap to play in:
http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/3...4529207&rt=rud

it helped a little but definitely wasn't a cure-all. after a visit to the orthopedist he sent me to physical therapy. those exercises helped but there was still pain. finally one day I showed up for PT and my regular therapist wasn't there. the therapist that was floating for her happened to be certified in Dry Needling so we decided to give it a try. it's similar to acupuncture but based in medical science rather than alternative medicine. 10 minutes after the session I was pain free and other than a little stiffness every now and then I have been pain free since then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_needling

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:44 AM
BearFlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
I had a similar problem from December 2012 until May 2013. basically the exact same thing as tennis elbow. I used this wrap to play in:
http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/3...4529207&rt=rud

it helped a little but definitely wasn't a cure-all. after a visit to the orthopedist he sent me to physical therapy. those exercises helped but there was still pain. finally one day I showed up for PT and my regular therapist wasn't there. the therapist that was floating for her happened to be certified in Dry Needling so we decided to give it a try. it's similar to acupuncture but based in medical science rather than alternative medicine. 10 minutes after the session I was pain free and other than a little stiffness every now and then I have been pain free since then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_needling
Thanks. I'll give that wrap a try and check out the dry needling.

BearFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:18 PM
deadphish23

I have been virtually pain free for a year now. Resting it, as well as eating very healthy seems to have done my whole body good.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:19 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I went and bought one of the sleeves the basketball players wear and the compression made the pain in my elbow go away after a few weeks.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
reecardo

Had this real bad last year when I started playing, still have it a little bit. Went to my doctor who also plays, and he suggested several things. The first was one of those little tennis elbow bands during games, then ice it after the game. He also told me to get a lighter stick (was playing with a very cheap composite that weighed a ton) cut even with my collarbone while on skates. The third was a series of stretches. In the end it helped but didn't eliminate it, and a month later he injected the tendons and that really helped it settle down enough that the other fixes were able to keep it under control.

I still feel it a little bit after I play, but no more hot knives every time I reach out my arm.

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Hot knives feels like my knee when I'm done playing.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote