HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Legit (re: Austin Watson)

Old
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Legit (re: Austin Watson)

Austin Watson has shall we say impressed a lot of people this year. Does he have a legit shot at a roster spot in Nashville next year?

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Austin Watson has shall we say impressed a lot of people this year. Does he have a legit shot at a roster spot in Nashville next year?
1. Couldn't this go in the prospect thread?

2. Probably not, if we want him to have any shot at developing an offensive game in the NHL.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
His attitude are what would worry me. He walked out on the Petes this season after the WJHC. That is how he ended up in London.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I like him more than a lot of prospect forum people do. I think he's comparable down the line to Dustin Brown without the diving.

But I feel like he is someone, like a lot of powerforward/2-way types who needs time to develop both his defensive and offensive skills.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
1. Couldn't this go in the prospect thread?

2. Probably not, if we want him to have any shot at developing an offensive game in the NHL.
I'm OK with it being its own thread. The Preds season is over, and the forum needs to keep some kind of traffic between now and the draft.

I don't think he makes the team next season.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
I like him more than a lot of prospect forum people do. I think he's comparable down the line to Dustin Brown without the diving.

But I feel like he is someone, like a lot of powerforward/2-way types who needs time to develop both his defensive and offensive skills.
i don't think he has anything resembling the offensive ability of Dustin Brown.

I think a more realistic comparison is a lankier Mike Fisher.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
token grinder

when he was drafted he was projected as a third line center with 2nd line potential

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:59 PM
VFL615*

He was 19 when he was traded to London. Do we know why he did not come back to the Petes?
I think with the possible turnover coming and Trotz not being afraid to have young guys (Smith, Josi, Ellis, Bourque). He has a shot at making the Preds roster at some point next year.
What position is he anyway. Some of you have mentioned him at center, This site says RW, and NHL.com says LW?

Old
05-23-2012, 05:54 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
He was 19 when he was traded to London. Do we know why he did not come back to the Petes? I think with the possible turnover coming and Trotz not being afraid to have young guys (Smith, Josi, Ellis, Bourque). He has a shot at making the Preds roster at some point next year.
What position is he anyway. Some of you have mentioned him at center, This site says RW, and NHL.com says LW?
Rumour around London (I have a cousin that works for the Knights) is he didn't want to play for a team that wasn't going anywhere he didn't want to report when he initially got traded there from Windsor. This could be blowing off steam or just locker room talk but that isn't an attitude I would want on my team at that age.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:22 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Rumour around London (I have a cousin that works for the Knights) is he didn't want to play for a team that wasn't going anywhere he didn't want to report when he initially got traded there from Windsor. This could be blowing off steam or just locker room talk but that isn't an attitude I would want on my team at that age.
Yeah i noticed in his quotes in the paper he mentioned being able to play for a team that has intentions of winning a championship. Hopefully he will do some growing up and maybe Trotz and the Preds could be a good thing for him.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:10 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Yeah i noticed in his quotes in the paper he mentioned being able to play for a team that has intentions of winning a championship. Hopefully he will do some growing up and maybe Trotz and the Preds could be a good thing for him.
SOunds like someone on your team that may be leaving this summer me thinks.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:08 AM
sighthndlady

So I have a question on the Memorial Cup. Both London and St. John came out 2-1 after the round robin, and St. John has a better goal differential, but London gets the bye into the final. Is it because London beat St. John in their head-to-head game? Seems like a dumb tie breaker.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
SOunds like someone on your team that may be leaving this summer me thinks.
dont you ever let up?
if Suter leaves it wont be because he thinks we wont be competitive, it'll be because he doesnt want to be here, for whatever other reason..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
So I have a question on the Memorial Cup. Both London and St. John came out 2-1 after the round robin, and St. John has a better goal differential, but London gets the bye into the final. Is it because London beat St. John in their head-to-head game? Seems like a dumb tie breaker.
disagree about it being a dumb tie breaker, head to head should always be first tie breaker in a short series like this ... win the game & you have no problem ... head to head loss should be first tie breaker

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
From all I know about it yes it is because the Knights beat St Johns.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
dont you ever let up?
if Suter leaves it wont be because he thinks we wont be competitive, it'll be because he doesnt want to be here, for whatever other reason..
So I guess this is contrary to his comments at the AS weekend right ok makes perfect sense lol.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:51 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I will likely never understand why staying on topic is such a hard thing to do around here, but here we are again venturing off topic and here I am posting another in-thread warning.

My patience has been growing thinner and thinner as the playoffs go deeper. Anyone posting off topic in order to derail the thread will no longer get to post in the thread. Anyone responding to such an off topic post rather than ignoring or reporting it will no longer get to post in the thread. You know what? Let's go ahead and make this a universal warning, too. I mean, we all did agree to rules, and those rules are easily found here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fa...aq_forum_rules

And please do not quote me to apologize. If you're sorry you'll stop doing it, and that's all the apology I need.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:09 PM
VFL615*

So what is everyones stance on Watson getting a shot in Nashville next year after getting a good look at him tonight?

Old
05-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

He was the best overall player on the ice tonight despite his team losing. 200ft player, physical, good along the boards (London Knight's brand of hockey). He probably won't make the team if I had to put money on it, but he's gonna make the decision tough for Trotz for sure. Kid is a stud.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:53 AM
token grinder

he needs a year in mil still. at least. if nothing else, but to fill out a bit more

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he needs a year in mil still. at least. if nothing else, but to fill out a bit more
I agree. When he played in Milwaukee in the 2010-11 playoffs, he was good against AHL players, but not over-powering. He needs more time and strength to muscle NHL players around. He won't be playing Martin St. Louis every game.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Watson's offensive upside isn't really high to begin with. Moving him straight to the NHL all but guarantees he's Vernon Fiddler 2.0.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:13 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post

oh, wait.. this wasnt a joke? a Pred prospect developing an offensive game in the NHL?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote