HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Betrand Raymond said that Michel Therrien was in vacation in florida and Bergevin went in florida to meet him. He also said that Denis Savard, a guy that Bergevin has a lot of respect for, told Bergevin to go after Therrien.

Michel Therrien might be our guy.
He better not be. He's done nothing of note in the NHL.

Here are his coaching results: Missed playoffs, 2nd round exit (only made playoffs because of Theodore), fired, missed playoffs, 1st round exit, lost in finals, fired. I hate this bilingual garbage. He wouldn't even be a candidate if he didn't speak French.

At least Crawford and Hartley have won Cups.

Old
05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
And he was fired didn't. Even. Make it till end of season--never mind his record
Which means nothing since he was fired
Must be some reasons he was canned again-
And he had solid netminding
If you like him so much go hire him to coach yourself and the stars havemoretalent especially offensively than habs
Brilliant reply...so by your assessment Scotty Bowman was a bad coach because he got fired at some point? Joel Quenneville got fired before winning a cup with Chicago. Julien got fired twice before he won the cup, and on and on...

Got another intelligent argument for us before I go hire Crawford to coach myself?

One last thing, why would I compare their roster to the Habs roster, you should compare it to the 8 teams that finished ahead of the stars last year, that would be a better measuring stick, but hey I'm sure you know all that already.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He better not be. He's done nothing of note in the NHL.

Here are his coaching results: Missed playoffs, 2nd round exit (only made playoffs because of Theodore), fired, missed playoffs, 1st round exit, lost in finals, fired. I hate this bilingual garbage. He wouldn't even be a candidate if he didn't speak French.

At least Crawford and Hartley have won Cups.
Means. Nothing----. What's that do for habs??
Gomez woncup Asa player --so what hasn't done squatfor montreal

Of the 3. --if pick therrien atleast he wouldn't have a wimpy team

Old
05-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Et le But

Crawford is well past his sell by date. He hasn't made the playoffs in his last 5 years as an NHL coach, and even before that he had a .387 winning % with Vancouver in the playoffs.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Brilliant reply...so by your assessment Scotty Bowman was a bad coach because he got fired at some point? Joel Quenneville got fired before winning a cup with Chicago. Julien got fired twice before he won the cup, and on and on...

Got another intelligent argument for us before I go hire Crawford to coach myself?

One last thing, why would I compare their roster to the Habs roster, you should compare it to the 8 teams that finished ahead of the stars last year, that would be a better measuring stick, but hey I'm sure you know all that already.
Hiringcrawford. Wouldbeamistake --. Don't think it will happen
Why dosome hab fans keep wanting the wrong people for the team
I don't get it --and the ones who were backing martin or Gautier or evengainey especially his last fewyears. Should be embarrassed --

Old
05-23-2012, 07:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Wouldn't mind Mellanby as Asst. GM. Another well-connected guy but inexperienced. Rounded out with Dudley would be quite nice.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:17 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Hiringcrawford. Wouldbeamistake --. Don't think it will happen
Why dosome hab fans keep wanting the wrong people for the team
I don't get it --and the ones who were backing martin or Gautier or evengainey especially his last fewyears. Should be embarrassed --
Actually unlike most people who post here with strong opinions, I don't care who they hire, I trust that they'll hire the right coach. If that means Crawford, I showed we could do much worse, if it's Hartley, I'll be behind him, Therrien? Fine by me. Whoever it is, I'll be rooting for him to do well because if he does, it'll ultimately mean the team will do well.

Nobody here knows how a coach will do here as every situation is different. Weren't most experts saying Hitchcock was done as a coach before the Blues gig?

Old
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
larek

Quote:
Actually unlike most people who post here with strong opinions, I don't care who they hire, I trust that they'll hire the right coach. If that means Crawford, I showed we could do much worse, if it's Hartley, I'll be behind him, Therrien? Fine by me. Whoever it is, I'll be rooting for him to do well because if he does, it'll ultimately mean the team will do well.

Nobody here knows how a coach will do here as every situation is different. Weren't most experts saying Hitchcock was done as a coach before the Blues gig?
That's the problem --don't trust --. Youshould know thatby now especiallyafter the last several years --hitch was still widely regarded by many

When isee results then I give praise when I don't see results then I critisize
Whenimthinking ofnewdirection fresh newthinking. -I don't think of Crawford orhartley

Old
05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
habaholic

Quote:
That's the problem --don't trust --. Youshould know thatby now especiallyafter the last several years --hitch was still widely regarded by many

When isee results then I give praise when I don't see results then I critisize
Whenimthinking ofnewdirection fresh newthinking. -I don't think of Crawford orhartley
What in god's holy name are you blathering about? You don't know squat, same as the rest of us.

Good grief!!!

Old
05-23-2012, 07:45 PM
larek

Quote:
What in god's holy name are you blathering about? You don't know squat, same as the rest of us.

Good grief!!!
Can't youread??
You may know squat as you say but. Don't put me in there
Really its all opinion fromanybody

Some have been right and some have been wrong

Crawford would've been amistake that we wonthave to see because. He isn't going to be hired

Old
05-23-2012, 08:11 PM
EveryDay

All of them suck.....Plz find someone else!!!!!

Old
05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Can't youread??
You may know squat as you say but. Don't put me in there
Really its all opinion fromanybody

Some have been right and some have been wrong

Crawford would've been amistake that we wonthave to see because. He isn't going to be hired
Sorry, but is the spacebar on your Tandy stuck?

Old
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

well all the good choices aren't available, so here's my choices, in order:

lady gaga
satan
crawford
hartley
son of sam
roy

Old
05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
AV on the other hand, be glad that he is no longer available.
AV is easily one of the 10 best coaches in the NHL, but as the old saying* goes, "there is never a worst coach in the world than the one piloting your favorite team".

Seriously, he's a fantastic coach, very innovative too. What he does with his zonestarts is brilliant, sure helps make the Sedins look good while maximizing the defensive abilities of guys like Malhotra.

He's easily miles ahead of Crawford, IMO.

*: not actually an old saying

Old
05-23-2012, 08:39 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I hate this bilingual garbage. He wouldn't even be a candidate if he didn't speak French.
Not to bring the linguistic discussion up again, but I'm not seeing many interesting candidates out there regardless of language.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
habitue*

The only choice, a brilliant rookie with an iron fist: Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois...

Players will crash the glass boards for him !

Old
05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not to bring the linguistic discussion up again, but I'm not seeing many interesting candidates out there regardless of language.
You're darn right.

So, let's stick with bilingual candidates. One PR problem less for Molson & cie to resolve.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
As far as unilingual candidates go...

I know he's inexperienced but I'd like to see Dallas Eakins get an interview. He is an up an comer and seems to be very well respected by his players. Also, Terry Murray is an excellent teacher. His best before date expired in LA but he has made a great contribution to the development of many of the players who will be playing in the Stanley Cup Final for LA. I know neither will get considered but I personally like them better than many of the candidates who have been discussed in this thread.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
Sorry, but is the spacebar on your Tandy stuck?
LOL! I actually feel like he's typing from a leapster

Old
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Pretty much how I feel. I don't get anyone bringing up the language issue. Some of the most "interesting" choices out there (not that they're very interesting to be honest) are billingual. So why not just go with it?

I feel meh about Therrien. If they go with him, I really hope they pick a very good communicator and a "player" guy as his assistant coach. And it better be a short term contract. Otherwise, I'm starting to think Hartley is probably the best option right now, and it pains me to say this. I'd be happier with his type of system. I have little faith in the ability of the Canadiens to rebound next season, might as well watch entertaining losses, if that makes sense!

But in the end, at this point, it's probably better to give a young guy his chance to shine. An assistant coach somewhere that's ready for a promotion, or maybe a coach from the Q. I don't have any names though. There must be someone out there, right?

Old
05-23-2012, 09:04 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
I think he has the brains not to try.
But I'm scared he's gonna hire his friend Denis Savard !!!

If he wants to hire a guy named "Savard" he should hire André, instead.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I'm sure there would be many more candidates that are current assistant coaches or head coaches in the AHL. Guys in the same situation as Bergevin, on the cusp.

Therrien should never be considered. Been there, done that. He's not Vigneault who was underrated when here and gone on to be very successful elsewhere.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:24 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
But in the end, at this point, it's probably better to give a young guy his chance to shine. An assistant coach somewhere that's ready for a promotion, or maybe a coach from the Q. I don't have any names though. There must be someone out there, right?
The problem with that is sometimes you end up with Blysma and sometimes you end up with Cunneyworth. But I agree, they ought to go for a new-school guy (and not just a younger old-school guy). Someone who's a career coach rather than an ex-player.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:30 PM
larek

Newschool type--that's what the organization needs

Old
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Quote: