HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Peterborough Petes 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
  #26
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
He was rated as a top 60 selection in his draft year, but let it be known to every OHL team that he has interested in the NCAA, and the NCAA was interested in him.
Wouldn't his best route of been the USHL then? Why was he not selected...?

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
  #27
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Wouldn't his best route of been the USHL then? Why was he not selected...?
Not always. Its hard for 95's to get into the USHL. THe CCHL has had their fair share of D1 commitments. I think he probably is a slam dunk to head south in 2013 if thats the route he wants to take.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
  #28
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
The Petes took Tierney in this draft and I think he plays the same style as Robinson.. Sort of a consellation plan B.

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
  #29
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
He was rated as a top 60 selection in his draft year, but let it be known to every OHL team that he has interested in the NCAA, and the NCAA was interested in him.
If that's the case then why was he shocked and upset at dropping so far in the draft?

ottawafan66 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 01:32 PM
  #30
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
If that's the case then why was he shocked and upset at dropping so far in the draft?
Your clearly a friend/family member/coach close to the situation to know all of this.

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 01:35 PM
  #31
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
If that's the case then why was he shocked and upset at dropping so far in the draft?
Im guessing thats not a question you are looking for an answer too.

I understand your involved being the father of a former teamate your personally involved, but there was info sent to us in the Draft room.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 01:43 PM
  #32
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Im guessing thats not a question you are looking for an answer too.

I understand your involved being the father of a former teamate your personally involved, but there was info sent to us in the Draft room.
I think "personally involved" is a bit of a stretch. Just like saying "every" OHL team was told such and such. All I know is that Alex was truly surprised that he fell so far. While I haven't spoken to him in a while, I believe he intends to try to make the Petes this year. I may be wrong.

ottawafan66 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
  #33
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I think "personally involved" is a bit of a stretch. Just like saying "every" OHL team was told such and such. All I know is that Alex was truly surprised that he fell so far. While I haven't spoken to him in a while, I believe he intends to try to make the Petes this year. I may be wrong.
Well, Not to get into the workings of a draft room to much, but when a fax comes in with a mention that its being sent to every other team, (and you confirm that it is) its not a stretch, its fact. We dont just guess. Could be been a legitimate intention, could have been a play, I have no idea, but it is what it is.

I also know that the Petes extended an offer to Robinson to join them earlier in the year, and it was declined. Take that for what you will.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 02:10 PM
  #34
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Well here's hoping that Ottawafan is correct and he does try to make the
Petes!

Sudbury and Peterborough rumour about Campagna and Shoenmakers is apprently a done deal according to twitter.

Puempel-Quine-Shoenmakers
Ritchie-Campagna-Euro
Betzold-Cornel-Nosad
Thompson-Pierog-Maguire
Mathers

Koekkoek-Boland
Ceresnak-Murphy
Seymour-Robinson
Varga

D'Agostini
Guigovaz


Last edited by PetesFan94: 05-23-2012 at 09:07 PM.
PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
  #35
Petes96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Well here's hoping that Ottawafan is correct and he does try to make the
Petes!

Sudbury and Peterborough rumour about Campagna and Shoenmakers is apprently a done deal according to twitter.

Puempel-Quine-Shoenmakers
Ritchie-Campagna-Euro
Betzold-Cornel-Nosad
Thompson-Pierog-Maguire
Mathers

Koekkoek-Boland
Ceresnak-Murphy
Seymour-Robinson
Varga

D'Agostini
Guigovaz
what's your feed from twitter?

Petes96 is offline  
Old
05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
  #36
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
what's your feed from twitter?
ThallyBurton is who I seen the tweet from

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  #37
Hockey Fan 19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
The Petes took Tierney in this draft and I think he plays the same style as Robinson.. Sort of a consellation plan B.
IMO Tierny did not impress during the Petes rookie camp. He was not effective physically in his own zone and was tentative with the puck. I liked Stirling (96) and Caruso (95) who were more physical and handled the puck with more confidence.

Hockey Fan 19 is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
  #38
Petes96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
IMO Tierny did not impress during the Petes rookie camp. He was not effective physically in his own zone and was tentative with the puck. I liked Stirling (96) and Caruso (95) who were more physical and handled the puck with more confidence.
you must of been at a different camp than me. Tierny was the best d-man on the ice. I see lots of potential in him. Reminds me of a young Bogosian

Petes96 is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 07:58 PM
  #39
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
you must of been at a different camp than me. Tierny was the best d-man on the ice. I see lots of potential in him. Reminds me of a young Bogosian
Agreed, loved Tierneys game too.

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-25-2012, 07:48 AM
  #40
Hockey Fan 19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
In light of the objections to my comments, looked back to my camp line-up and stand corrected on Tierney.........apologies for my failing memory.
Let's hope Reid can lure Robinson to the Petes and all this talk may be mute.

Any feedback on their goaltending?? Giggy really impressed during his last training camp an looked OK at the rookie camp. Heard that he definitely made a name for himself in Georgetown.

Hockey Fan 19 is offline  
Old
05-25-2012, 07:58 AM
  #41
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
In light of the objections to my comments, looked back to my camp line-up and stand corrected on Tierney.........apologies for my failing memory.
Let's hope Reid can lure Robinson to the Petes and all this talk may be mute.

Any feedback on their goaltending?? Giggy really impressed during his last training camp an looked OK at the rookie camp. Heard that he definitely made a name for himself in Georgetown.
Giggy deffinitly has a very UNIQUE style... But basically whatever works..? Right? Its no secret he is on the team next year and that Morrison will be moved. Guigovaz was wearing petes blocker/trapper and pads.

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-25-2012, 08:50 AM
  #42
Hockey Fan 19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Giggy deffinitly has a very UNIQUE style... But basically whatever works..? Right? Its no secret he is on the team next year and that Morrison will be moved. Guigovaz was wearing petes blocker/trapper and pads.
Saw the equipment but was it new when given to him??

Hockey Fan 19 is offline  
Old
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
  #43
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
Saw the equipment but was it new when given to him??
Looked it! I think its one of the worst kept secrets amongst this team! Lol

Also, this is a very good sign.

Meet the Petes new director of business development Kathleen Reeves http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=3570189


Last edited by PetesFan94: 05-25-2012 at 09:17 AM.
PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
  #44
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Petes get Betzold.. Its too bad we can't get Russo or Santini or even Shiplo to report to shore up our backend... I'm jealous of the Windsor and Londons getting the top end talent lol.

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
  #45
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
Saw the equipment but was it new when given to him??
He received equipment from the team at the beginning of the season

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM
  #46
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Athansiou and Campagna are too guys that under achieved last year and both rumoured to be on the trading block...

London wants our import pick, and Campagna had demanded a trade anyways. So... Say..

To London: Petes import pick
To Ptbo: Athansiou, Londons pick

To Sudbury: 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, Conditional 5th if Campagna plays OA season.
To Peterborough: Campagna

-------------------------------------------

Puempel-Quine-Athanasiou
Ritchie-Campagna-Nosad
Betzold-EuroPick-Cornel
Hennigar-Pierog-Maguire
Hatcher/Mathers

Koekkoek-Ceresnak
Boland-Murphy
Seymour-Varga

D'Agostini
Guigovaz

Move guys like Thompson, Trojanovic, Hietkamp, Morrison for whatever you can get.

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
  #47
Petes96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Athansiou and Campagna are too guys that under achieved last year and both rumoured to be on the trading block...

London wants our import pick, and Campagna had demanded a trade anyways. So... Say..

To London: Petes import pick
To Ptbo: Athansiou, Londons pick

To Sudbury: 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, Conditional 5th if Campagna plays OA season.
To Peterborough: Campagna

-------------------------------------------

Puempel-Quine-Athanasiou
Ritchie-Campagna-Nosad
Betzold-EuroPick-Cornel
Hennigar-Pierog-Maguire
Hatcher/Mathers

Koekkoek-Ceresnak
Boland-Murphy
Seymour-Varga

D'Agostini
Guigovaz

Move guys like Thompson, Trojanovic, Hietkamp, Morrison for whatever you can get.
some of your threads were good but this one is just down right awful.

a couple of things:
no way that you won't see Thompson in the line-up. He's a great up and comer and can take over the reins in the fighting department and contribute. Cornell was drafted as a center and will play center for sure to develop him into the number one center in a year. Maguire is a left winger and drafted as such. Mathers is still needed in the line-up and if any the signing with Philly will motivate him. Ritchie played right wing his whole life until he came to the Petes. He's the most likeliest one to move to RW.

IMO this is the line up

Puempel - Quine - Ritchie
Betzold - OA - Nosad
Maguire - Cornell - import
Thompson - Pierog - Mathers
Hatcher

KoekKoek - Bolland
Varga - Murphy
Ceresnak - Seymour
Robinson - Murdoff

Dag
Giggy

there is a possibility that you could see another make the team out of main camp as Peirog, Mathers and Murdoff have to play hard in camp. Don't be surprised if Puempel is traded before camp either. He could catch the Petes a great 95 centerman, and OA and a draft pick. As well Mathers is the toughest in the league and could be traded to the west for a good RW that can contribute right away.

Petes96 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
  #48
PetesFan94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
some of your threads were good but this one is just down right awful.

a couple of things:
no way that you won't see Thompson in the line-up. He's a great up and comer and can take over the reins in the fighting department and contribute. Cornell was drafted as a center and will play center for sure to develop him into the number one center in a year. Maguire is a left winger and drafted as such. Mathers is still needed in the line-up and if any the signing with Philly will motivate him. Ritchie played right wing his whole life until he came to the Petes. He's the most likeliest one to move to RW.

IMO this is the line up

Puempel - Quine - Ritchie
Betzold - OA - Nosad
Maguire - Cornell - import
Thompson - Pierog - Mathers
Hatcher

KoekKoek - Bolland
Varga - Murphy
Ceresnak - Seymour
Robinson - Murdoff

Dag
Giggy

there is a possibility that you could see another make the team out of main camp as Peirog, Mathers and Murdoff have to play hard in camp. Don't be surprised if Puempel is traded before camp either. He could catch the Petes a great 95 centerman, and OA and a draft pick. As well Mathers is the toughest in the league and could be traded to the west for a good RW that can contribute right away.
Young 17 year old on first line, Betzold(rookie) and Nosad on second line.... We would miss playoffs again.

Also, do you have inside scoop about Puempel or are you purely speculating?

PetesFan94 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 09:13 AM
  #49
Petes96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Young 17 year old on first line, Betzold(rookie) and Nosad on second line.... We would miss playoffs again.

Also, do you have inside scoop about Puempel or are you purely speculating?
the team is young and is building for next season when the Mem cup is in Windsor. The Pete's will be competing with Kingston for top spot at that time. This team will make playoffs this year. The eastern side is not very strong with the exception of Ottawa, Brampton and Oshawa.

Niagara and Sudbury will take over the Petes spot at the bottom of the standings this year as they are re-building.

The entire left side of the team are young and will be going through some growing pains until one of the young guns steps up and takes over some of the well deserved minutes (Thompson, Betzold, Maguire) are all first year players. With the exception of Thompson getting a few games in but I see him as more of an energy guy who contributes with momentum through hard hits and fights. Betzold and Maguire have a great opportunity to get some exceptional ice time.

I don't have an inside scoop on Puempel but I am merely speculating on what the Petes can get for him and the direction of the team. With the need of centers and right wing he and Mathers can get some much needed help in both situations for this year and next year that will contribute to a team that will be contending in 2013.

there will be one or two surprises come out of main camp as some regulars are going to lose their jobs because of free agents and young guys wanting their jobs.

Don't count this team out. From what I'm seeing from the outside Reid has done an exceptional job the last two drafts and is building character players for roles. Koekkoek will be back this year and will quarterback this team with a minimum of 25 min per game. Bolland will be healthy and will contribute. Murphy and Seymour and great d-men as well. So the growing pains of the offense not producing will be controlled by the defense keeping the puck out and chipping in up front.

Its Nosad, Varga, Murphy and Giggy's draft year so you know they will be out to impress. Next season it will be Ritchie, Cornell and Maguire's draft year. Grow with what Reid is producing for a very long expected successful team starting this year.

The Pete's don't need to trade for another teams dead weight just to fill spots when they can develop what they have. Reid needs to make calculated smart trades and moves that will benefit the team.

Petes96 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
  #50
Petes1
Registered User
 
Petes1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
I agree with much of what you're saying in regards to the direction the team should take, but how realistic is it?

Reid must make the playoffs, he can't afford to roll the dice on a young team, he's said in the paper it was his fault for not giving Pelino a more veteran lineup, so I'd be shocked if we went with a lineup with that many youngsters having big roles. For that reason, I can't see Puempel being dealt (unless he asks, or Petes are out of playoffs at deadline). The board also has a lot of pressure this season to make the playoffs and start winning some of the fan base back and make money. They can't really take any chances.

I'd go after Campagna if he could be had for draft picks. If the goal is 2014, the Petes returning centermen will be Cornel and Pierog. Considering we know Reid will go after veterans this season, it makes more sense for a guy who will return in two years then a guy that's one and done. In 2 years he'd easily be the 2nd best center on the team, maybe even the best. Have to wait and see how quickly Cornel develops, but it's unlikely he'll be centering the 1st line of a Memorial Cup contending team at 17. Athanasiou, if Ritchie is moved to RW is probably the 2nd best LWer on the team, with the potential to be 1st line when Puempel moves on. I've never seen Betzold play, and hope he does well, but it's hard to see him come in and be a 20+ goal guy as a rookie after being passed over in the draft twice, and only playing as high as Midget so far. Does Maguire have the offencive game to be a 2nd line LWer in 2 years on a contending team? I realize in 2 years, things will be different, but if the Petes have the chance to get a couple 18 year olds, who'd be 2nd liners next season, without giving up a roster player, it would be hard to pass up. I don't think it's realistic we could get both of them, but I wouldn't say no. If they don't work out, trade them.

Petes1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.