HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

make the ice rinks smaller in europe

Old
05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
VladNYC*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Agreed, what you are seeing at the WC is hockey that hasn't been coached and analyzed to death, defensive systems implemented, etc.
So the international ice hasn't been coached and analyzed to death because the NHL doesn't play on it? No defensive systems implemented?

I guess in Europe the coaches just tell the players to "go out there and have some fun" while they sit back in a rocking chair and puff on their favorite pipe.

What can you say to people like this that have such an egocentric world view?

Do you even know how many of the defensive systems utilized in the NHL today were invented by the Swedes and the USSR?

Seriously man, what is wrong with you?

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:12 PM
VladNYC*

The small ice is TERRIBLE!

It makes for ugly unskilled hockey. It leads to more injuries and it covers up for poor skating skills.

Ask any defensmen, who has played at a high level, which ice is easier to play on. Do you know how much easier it is to plug up the neutral zone on the small ice? How much easier it is to get to the boards to close out the puck from coming out of the zone when you are on offense? How much easier it is to get from the goal to the corner and back? How much easier it is to shut down a mobile forward carrying the puck on the wing?

The big ice requires skill. On the small size you can make up for skill with size. Is that what you want? Wrestling on ice?

Old
05-23-2012, 11:25 PM
nik-

The big ice allowing for players to go off on a leisurely skate doesn't mean it's more skilled, it's actually the opposite. More room lends itself to lesser players doing better. The big ice is a boring game, I prefer watching a game where players have less time to make decisions.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:33 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

I like the bigger ice. So much of NHL game is the puck getting whacked in random directions with sticks and skates blocking every conceivable direction. Maybe international size is too big, but IMO NHL is too small.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:48 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The big ice allowing for players to go off on a leisurely skate doesn't mean it's more skilled, it's actually the opposite. More room lends itself to lesser players doing better. The big ice is a boring game, I prefer watching a game where players have less time to make decisions.
True in a way, NHL ice gives less time for decisions.. but that also makes it more straight-forward, less creativity, more dump and chase, faster game, less space..

But when actually offensive teams play, not 6 defenceman Rangers hockey, it is actually more exciting.. A lot of breakaways, more end to end scoring chances, odd-man rushes.. But i have to say, when i watched first hockey game in NHL ice i was in shock, because it seemed so ADHD hockey.. It took about 40 games to get used to it..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:52 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I like the bigger ice. So much of NHL game is the puck getting whacked in random directions with sticks and skates blocking every conceivable direction. Maybe international size is too big, but IMO NHL is too small.
Is the rink too small, or are the teams too defensive.. Sharks vs Canucks series last year was awesome.. As was Bos vs Tampa.. But i just think the remaining teams are just boring, have nothing to do with the ice size..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:54 PM
RorschachWJK

No. Next please.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:37 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The problem is you're focusing on the elite professional level of hockey. It may make sense to expand the NHL rinks a little, but for the thousands of other leagues, from casual beer hockey to to all the various child/youth hockey, and even the higher level juniors/college level hockey, the NA America size rink is more than big enough. It would be a logistical nightmare to start converting the rinks we have to the international size.
totally wrong mate. Just admit you didnt read my post at all

My post was about pointing out on growth of average height of overall population. Not only NHLers growing (supposedly, I didnt see averrage height figure of NHLers from a century ago), but everyone is taller than a century ago due to better nutrition.

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
So the international ice hasn't been coached and analyzed to death because the NHL doesn't play on it? No defensive systems implemented?

I guess in Europe the coaches just tell the players to "go out there and have some fun" while they sit back in a rocking chair and puff on their favorite pipe.

Do you even know how many of the defensive systems utilized in the NHL today were invented by the Swedes and the USSR?

Normally I find you to be a pretty level headed guy but you have gone off the deep end since the WC started. A few days ago I think I saw a post from you stating that the NHL was just another domestic league, similar to one of many in soccer. There is not a single soccer league with anywhere close to the concentration of top end talent for their sport that the NHL has. I'm not sure, maybe you weren't serious, just out for a troll.

My statement had nothing to do with Europeans or international hockey specifically. The reason that the level of coaching and systems are not the same at the WC as they are in leagues is because the teams are so new to each other. They have very little experience playing with each other and against other teams, thus there is much less time to perfect systems and game tape to analyze.

The NHL is all about winning and if someone develops a system that works they will use it, be it from Sweden, Italy or a wanna be Romanian from Moldova.

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 05-24-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:39 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Just a thought

I think every team should be allowed to choose a size between the NHL size of today and the current IIHF size.
It would make the sport more entertaining and makes the home ice advantage to a bigger factor than it is today. This would mean that the home teams will win more often, which leads to more spectators => More money!

Franchises would develop their own "traditional" playing style! Every game will be a completely different story, because the road teams have to adjust their play to every rink!

Of course, every team that decides to be a "Boston-like" team will struggle on the wide rink a "Vancouver-like" team would (most likely) choose to play on. So the game would become a little more predictable...

What do you guys think about this idea?

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Everlasting

When i watch NHL games i feel that the players are way do close to each other all the time, there isnt that much space and there are always a battling. I dont want a nhlsize on swedish rinks, but i think that they should be smaller then they are. Maybe somewhere inbetween for more intensity and exciting games. I think they are a little too big the way they are now.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
why not just make the ice smaller in europe, to NHL specs....=...room for more audience and thereby more profit , better action, easier to adjust to NHL for euros...........its all win !
never

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:26 AM
begbeee

Canadians are whining the play on big ice is slow and so on... Tempo is the same, there is just no room in the small ice for skills.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Big Ice is pretty entertaining, but I'm just used to the NHL's smaller rinks; it asks for faster transition games and big bodies to close off lanes.

As for implementing NHL size rinks in Europe, I think that North Americans should try to get used to the big ice; I don't think the big ice will go away

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:53 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
Just a thought

I think every team should be allowed to choose a size between the NHL size of today and the current IIHF size.
It would make the sport more entertaining and makes the home ice advantage to a bigger factor than it is today. This would mean that the home teams will win more often, which leads to more spectators => More money!

Franchises would develop their own "traditional" playing style! Every game will be a completely different story, because the road teams have to adjust their play to every rink!

Of course, every team that decides to be a "Boston-like" team will struggle on the wide rink a "Vancouver-like" team would (most likely) choose to play on. So the game would become a little more predictable...

What do you guys think about this idea?
I like this plan the best. As a Red Wings fan I'd love to see their new rink be bigger than the NHL size, as it suits their style of play. I like the idea of home ice advantage meaning something, and each rink suiting its teams style of play.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Paxton Fettel

Bigger rinks put an emphasis on skill. Playing strong physical hockey has nothing to do with skill, like the Rangers.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
I always found it interesting that despite the European size being the IIHF international standard roughly 70% of the world's arena rinks are built to the NA standard size (according to the IIHF's own survey).

Anyway I grew up on the NHL but working in Russia I have grown fond of the bigger rinks so much that I enjoyed the KHL playoffs more than the NHL playoffs this season. I just prefer the creativity and build up to plays. I still love the NHL but it feels all so congested to me.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
totally wrong mate. Just admit you didnt read my post at all

My post was about pointing out on growth of average height of overall population. Not only NHLers growing (supposedly, I didnt see averrage height figure of NHLers from a century ago), but everyone is taller than a century ago due to better nutrition.
It's not just size that matters. Doesn't matter how big you are if you're skating isn't up to par. I never really watch AHL or US College games, but you'll find plenty of wide open hockey in the CHL suggesting the rinks are suitably sized, and for my own beer league hockey it definitely doesn't need to be any bigger. The top 1000 or so players may have outgrown the standard NA sized rink, but for the 499,000 other people that play hockey in North America there's nothing wrong with our standard size rink.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Normally I find you to be a pretty level headed guy but you have gone off the deep end since the WC started. A few days ago I think I saw a post from you stating that the NHL was just another domestic league, similar to one of many in soccer. There is not a single soccer league with anywhere close to the concentration of top end talent for their sport that the NHL has. I'm not sure, maybe you weren't serious, just out for a troll.

The NHL is just like the EPL in soccer. High concentration of talent but there is good sport being played elsewhere as well.

Quote:
The NHL is all about winning and if someone develops a system that works they will use it, be it from Sweden, Italy or a wanna be Romanian from Moldova.
Huh?

Old
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:

You're making some false assumptions here. It's not necessarily a matter of the quality of the coaching over here, as the old USSR certainly had better coaching, but more a matter of scale and $$$. In terms of size and numbers the hockey population of North America is roughly equal to the hockey population of Europe, but the best hockey minds are all crammed into 30 teams in NA while in Europe there spread out around a much greater number of teams in the various elite leagues. Plus you have to take into account the type of budgets an NHL coaching & scouting staff has to work with vs in Europe, and you're going to get a stronger analysis of the game that includes taking what works over seas. And yes this includes taking good ideas from Europe and refining them over here.

If you're looking at the national team level it's not going to be that big a difference, but I'm not talking about a 3 week tournament but rather an 82 game regular season schedule.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:59 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Who exactly is going to "make" the European rinks engage in such an undertaking?
Jesus.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Elever
Hth

Bookmarked this thread to bring up at next suggestion for NHL to increase rink sizes.

Decrease yours first

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
The NHL is just like the EPL in soccer. High concentration of talent but there is good sport being played elsewhere as well.

Huh?
The concentration of top players is way higher in the NHL than the EPL and don't tell me a smart Moldovan lad like yourself wasn't tempted to go for one of those nice Romanian EU passports...

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:08 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
In terms of size and numbers the hockey population of North America is roughly equal to the hockey population of Europe,
Source? Numbers? Last time i checked North American hockey players and hockey ring numbers destroy everything in Europe combined.

Quote:
but the best hockey minds are all crammed into 30 teams in NA while in Europe there spread out around a much greater number of teams in the various elite leagues.
I hope you mean all the best hockey minds in NA are crammed into 30 teams.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:11 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
The concentration of top players is way higher in the NHL than the EPL and don't tell me a smart Moldovan lad like yourself wasn't tempted to go for one of those nice Romanian EU passports...
That is your opinion. My opinion is that the NHL is just a domestic league like the KHL or SEL only with more money and prestige....for now.

I'm an ethnic Russian. Not a Moldovan. I'd cut my hands off before having ANYTHING to do with Romania. I have no affiliation with the EU whatsoever other then travelling there for business a few times a year.

Your trolling is getting desperate these days.